PDA

View Full Version : CMU is the best Choice

tsmith
05-23-2012, 05:20 PM
Hi, I'm a student (a real student that attends classes) at CMU. I am grateful that I chose this school. Before coming to Curacao, I was very nervous and I had second though about CMU due to Value MD. I called the headquarters everyday because of the foolishness that I was reading on Value MD. The little nice lady answer my questions with no problems. Recollecting, before getting to the island, I called over 50 times (no kidding). I had questions and I needed answers. I was transferred to the dean a few times where he was happy to answer ALL of my questions. After he answered my questions, with no doubt in my mind I knew that I have made the right decision. Furthermore, when I arrived to the island, they had people waiting at the airport for me. I felt so special. The people brought me to the dorms (I did not have to pay for a taxi or a local bus) free of charge. On my way to the dorms the gentle (Who is a teacher) answered all of our questions. He gave us a prep talk, letting us know how good the school was. Well after a few weeks I have finally found out that the school is a great school and has a lot of potential. Yes its new but we are growing in numbers.

One of the advantages are the class sizes are very small so we can have one on one with our teachers. The teacher are passionate and want us to learn every thing they know. Coming to CMU, I found out that the school really cares and they want the best for us as future doctors. Please do not listen to the negativity on Value MD because you will be missing out on a good opportunity. It's the cheapest Caribbeans medical school and you get what you pay for. Which is a good education. The school has great teachers and they really knows their material.

verokmed
05-23-2012, 08:15 PM
Im happy other students are putting their opinions. We should speak up for our school and let others know that CMU is becoming one of the best places to study in the Caribbean.

Wanttoknow
05-24-2012, 08:25 PM
Hello
Can you tell me more? I am interested and nervous especially when i read the comments on this site.

thxleave
05-24-2012, 09:21 PM
Haha.... Man... Sounds like a commercial.

cardiomegaly
05-24-2012, 09:29 PM
Just curious does CMU have NY approval?

verokmed
05-26-2012, 12:35 AM
they will apply next year

CMU
06-18-2012, 12:16 PM
in fact the documents will be submitted by the end of this year once the new campus is fully functional.

verokmed
06-29-2012, 02:25 AM
great news

drrichand1
06-30-2012, 05:19 PM

BDhopefulMD
07-01-2012, 12:46 PM
I am so happy to hear such positive information about CMU. I applied last wk! After some research it just felt like the right fit and that they care about us !
The financial help seems to be there for you, they have dorms, nice ratio, I am willing and will be very happy to give it my all right down to my last cent if they give me the
chance and the the pathway to become a physician!! GO CMU!!

BDhopefulMD
07-01-2012, 12:47 PM
Thx U for the update, this is such GREAT NEWS !!

BDhopefulMD
07-01-2012, 12:51 PM
I agree other students should keep the rest of us positively informed with the true facts! I did my research and it's a GO for me if I get accepted! Hopefully I'll know in a few weeks. But can't go till May 2013 , I have to keep making money and saving till April !, 2013. than me and everything I have will be on a plan heading out.!!!!God Willing.....

kancho
08-31-2012, 12:09 AM
How long does it take to get NY approval? I was reading about IAU and Spartan they did their inspection what in 2009 but still waiting for approval. Anyone know how long it takes?

cjwalker247
09-12-2012, 07:37 AM
I got accepted into the Fall 2013 class. I have read so much on VMD about how the school is poor quality and really ghetto and run-down. Can you tell me what you think of the school after being there for a little while now? Can you send me a picture of the campus?

cardiomegaly
09-12-2012, 09:03 AM
The best way to find out the truth about a school is to hear or read a success story, average story and a story of failure. This way you will get the truth about the school from all angles.

kancho
09-12-2012, 10:45 PM
The best way to find out the truth about a school is to hear or read a success story, average story and a story of failure. This way you will get the truth about the school from all angles.

maybe you can tell me do they have greenbook rotations. the admins told me no. i was wondering where are the clinicals done

DrOlaBlessed
09-12-2012, 11:39 PM
I'm also wondering where their rotations are done. I've called the admin office and I never got to speak with the nice lady. The person is a male and doesn't really seem informed on what's going... does anyone know where there students do rotations? I do have friends currently enrolled there and so far so good. they've told me they are actually learning in class, which is spectacular when you're dealing with Caribbean schools.

verokmed
09-13-2012, 08:42 AM
All the rotation sites are listed on their website. I also do have friends in rotations with them and so far so good. Most of them are in Chicago hospitals.

teratos
09-14-2012, 04:54 PM
All the rotation sites are listed on their website. I also do have friends in rotations with them and so far so good. Most of them are in Chicago hospitals.

The real test is board passage rate, track record of getting people into residency, and ultimately licensure. I am not trying to belittle anyone, but honestly what does a medical student know about the quality of education they receive? Medical education is very complex, and you have absolutely nothing to compare it to. A medical student saying that their school is the "best place to study in the Caribbean" holds no weight whatsoever when the school is new and has not been tested. It may well turn out that it is true, but just saying it doesn't make it so.

verokmed
09-14-2012, 06:42 PM
As a transfer student you do have something to compare it to. Your previous school. And if most of the transfer students had no clue what was going in the class after we have transfered, even though our past medical school has a track of residency and license, tells me at least that the education I receive here is way better.

I had U.S. professors who passed the boards and now thought me how to do it. The campus is one of the nicest in the Caribbean. The current Step1 rate is 72% (confirmed by ECMFG report) therefore I feel very confident that I made a good choice.

To all prospective students: come to a school(s) of your choice and visit them first. Talk to the faculty, students and administration so that you wont make a mistake like I did with my first school before I transfered to CMU. I dont want to push anyone to study at CMU. I can only recommend it as a students friendly place with an excellent campus and knowledgeable faculty members.

teratos
09-15-2012, 05:47 AM
As a transfer student you do have something to compare it to. Your previous school. And if most of the transfer students had no clue what was going in the class after we have transfered, even though our past medical school has a track of residency and license, tells me at least that the education I receive here is way better.

I had U.S. professors who passed the boards and now thought me how to do it. The campus is one of the nicest in the Caribbean. The current Step1 rate is 72% (confirmed by ECMFG report) therefore I feel very confident that I made a good choice.

To all prospective students: come to a school(s) of your choice and visit them first. Talk to the faculty, students and administration so that you wont make a mistake like I did with my first school before I transfered to CMU. I dont want to push anyone to study at CMU. I can only recommend it as a students friendly place with an excellent campus and knowledgeable faculty members.

Even as a transfer student, you still don't know that much. You will be influenced by factors such as the demeanor of the professors, the campus layout and decor. It doesn't mean you are getting a quality education. The most important factors are board passage rate, residency placement and State licensure. All others are very minor in comparison. There have been so many schools that have come and gone in the nearly 15 years that I have been posting of fora such as these, and people said the same thing about all of them. There are countless people who have lost a lot of time/money going to those schools, so I am always skeptical of new schools. I am on no way saying the CMU is a bad school. I do hope it lives up to it's promises. Until it truly does, telling people it is the "best school out there" is just an unsubstantiated opinon. I wish you the best in your endeavor.

AllIn
09-15-2012, 03:47 PM
Could you PM me and let me know whom you spoke with? I plan to visit the school in the next few weeks, too.

medman
09-18-2012, 03:39 PM
Has anyone had a chance to attend a CMU open house? If so, what are they typically like?

psychvmd
11-09-2012, 12:45 AM

verokmed
02-25-2013, 08:42 PM
CMU is a growing school and as a nontraditional student with various experiences with several Carib schools, CMU is definitely working its way up the ladder. At the end of the day, it matters what the students does and what the student does is reflected onto the school. The professors at CMU make sure you know the material and definitely teach you high yield material which is required on the boards but it is the responsibility of the student to learn and assimilate the knowledge they learn through questions and participation. I have lived in Curacao for about 18 months and extremely unhappy with my previous school in Curacao and after transferring to CMU, life definitely got interesting and enjoyed it more.I have been to AUA, Ross, SGU, and Avalon as potential student and an actual student with friends at all these schools. Ross, SGU, AUC, and Saba to an extent are the top 4 and AUA is getting there also with their aggressive stances on expanding clinical rotation sites. STudents prepare for board exams at varying times but it all depends on the student on their individual board scores, letters of recommendation, and grades when applying for residency.Medman the best thing to do is to visit the school and if you need any other additional information, please pm me and I will tell you everything you need/want to know!!I am a current MD5 student and support CMU all the way and all their efforts in the utmost professional way!!!!

Totally agree with you.

verokmed
02-25-2013, 08:43 PM
CMU is a growing school and as a nontraditional student with various experiences with several Carib schools, CMU is definitely working its way up the ladder. At the end of the day, it matters what the students does and what the student does is reflected onto the school. The professors at CMU make sure you know the material and definitely teach you high yield material which is required on the boards but it is the responsibility of the student to learn and assimilate the knowledge they learn through questions and participation. I have lived in Curacao for about 18 months and extremely unhappy with my previous school in Curacao and after transferring to CMU, life definitely got interesting and enjoyed it more.I have been to AUA, Ross, SGU, and Avalon as potential student and an actual student with friends at all these schools. Ross, SGU, AUC, and Saba to an extent are the top 4 and AUA is getting there also with their aggressive stances on expanding clinical rotation sites. STudents prepare for board exams at varying times but it all depends on the student on their individual board scores, letters of recommendation, and grades when applying for residency.Medman the best thing to do is to visit the school and if you need any other additional information, please pm me and I will tell you everything you need/want to know!!I am a current MD5 student and support CMU all the way and all their efforts in the utmost professional way!!!!

Totally agree with you.

Dr.Yatz
11-07-2013, 09:37 PM
psychvmd you stated on this old post you were MD5. How are clinical rotations going? What hospitals have you done rotations in?

thirdworldhipster
11-21-2013, 03:03 PM
Current MD4 student at CMU. I'm not going to lie, when I first got to this school, I had some serious reservations about how things were run, but there have been marked improvements with where and how the school has been progressing during my tenure here. I should add that the OP is absolutely right in their assessment of class size and student-teacher relationship. The professors all know you on a first name basis, they're mostly very competent, knowledgable individuals with a wealth of information on the material and what to expect in the USMLE. They are available after hours and some are even available to help you over the weekend if you need that kind of attention.

MedStu16
12-10-2013, 12:59 PM
I got accepted into the Fall 2013 class. I have read so much on VMD about how the school is poor quality and really ghetto and run-down. Can you tell me what you think of the school after being there for a little while now? Can you send me a picture of the campus?

Cjwalker: Majority of these post about CMU are fictional and from people who never attended CMU. I have been here for a few semesters and the school is continuing to grown and improve every semester. I have no doubt that in a few years this will be one of the top medical schools in the caribbean. The incoming Fall 2013 class was about 90 students, we now have over 200 students in basic sciences and I believes close to that number for clinicals as well. We have all the approvals need to take USMLE step 1. You can verify their accreditations on IMED and WHO. CMU is a listed school. our documents are not forged. We are not perfect but the thing that separates this school from the others is that they actually care about you and your future. The campus is not "ghetto or rundown" its located in the world trade center of curaçao and we have three separate dormitory locations with bus services to and from campus.

cupidsrose
12-23-2013, 08:08 PM
hello everyone

CMU
01-17-2014, 07:11 PM
If you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact us

Brian Knorr
03-23-2014, 05:59 PM

Vanwilder
03-23-2014, 08:07 PM
I am also a student at CMU. Currently a REAL student living on Curacao. I would like to put an end to all of the CMU bashing going on. Honestly, CMU is hard, the professors are hard, and yeah, there are one or two that are not great, but that's with ANY medical school, I don't care where you go, you will always find that. And yes, sometimes the computers crash during an exam and the internet sucks. Let me fill you in, the internet sucks on the whole damn island. (and quite frankly, having internet access is more of a distraction than anything else) CMU has the philosophy of testing hard, ok, so you HAVE to understand the concepts of Physio, Path, Biochem Pharm, etc.That's what Medical School is!!!!! It’s hard!!!! If you don't like it, go home. transfer, or suck it up. The professors test with Step style questions and emphasize what is on the Step and what is not. They have Kaplan seminars, Becker seminars. If you are looking for easy, then do not apply to CMU, if you are looking for a challenge and want what most basic science grads want, a good Step 1 score, then challenge yourself and apply to CMU. CMU is growing and is on pace to be one of the best, period. As for premed, I don't know much about it, my advice to you is get your premed prereqs done in the US, like I did. Having Physio, Micro, Genetics, Bichem, Immunology etc in my undergrad had REALLY helped me. And for all of the students who are not doing well, do you really think transferring to another school that MIGHT be easier is the answer? Really? Then good luck on Step 1 and getting the residency you want.

doc201
03-24-2014, 10:10 AM
As a current student of CMU, i can agree to the notion that the school is going in a better direction...They can be petty and very uninformative, the pathology class is taught based only and only on the Pass program lectures, word for word. I'm not sure i would call that teaching. And the dean, he seems like he 1)just doesnt care, or doesn't want to care, or 2) He cant be bothered by the way some of the classes are taught in a manner that is subpar.

If these two were removed the staff, the school would be so much better. The Students would get a proper pathology teacher, and the administration would get a dean who actually wanted what was best for the students academically.

DocInMaking
03-26-2014, 12:19 AM
As a current student of CMU, i can agree to the notion that the school is going in a better direction, although i have to say that the Pathology professor Dr. T and the dean of academics, "Dr." J not so much. They can be petty and very uninformative, the pathology class is taught based only and only on the Pass program lectures, word for word. I'm not sure i would call that teaching. And the dean, he seems like he 1)just doesnt care, or doesn't want to care, or 2) He cant be bothered by the way some of the classes are taught in a manner that is subpar.

If these two were removed the staff, the school would be so much better. The Students would get a proper pathology teacher, and the administration would get a dean who actually wanted what was best for the students academically.

I am currently a student at CMU and have been here for over a year now. In the time I have been here I have already seen this school grow in the size of students and get new and better faculty members to teach. I have spoken to both current and graduated students that have taken Pathology with Dr. T and have heard nothing but great stuff. The way he teaches the class is effective and keeps you on your feet. If doc201 does some research he/she can find out that the dean is actually a doctor and has currently been the dean at CMU for some time now. The school has been going in a better direction under his control so to say that he doesn't care and the school would be better without these two staff is simply ridiculous.

verokmed
05-27-2014, 09:00 AM
I am currently a student at CMU and have been here for over a year now. In the time I have been here I have already seen this school grow in the size of students and get new and better faculty members to teach. I have spoken to both current and graduated students that have taken Pathology with Dr. T and have heard nothing but great stuff. The way he teaches the class is effective and keeps you on your feet. If doc201 does some research he/she can find out that the dean is actually a doctor and has currently been the dean at CMU for some time now. The school has been going in a better direction under his control so to say that he doesn't care and the school would be better without these two staff is simply ridiculous.

I totally agree with you DocInMaking

verokmed
08-30-2014, 06:07 PM
I have heard there were few new professors hired this year. How are they guys?

ASB86
09-17-2014, 01:36 PM
CMU was a great choice. As a clinical student, I've gone through several rotations that matched my level of interest. I would contact the clinical dean a few weeks prior to my desired start date and he would run through several options and allow me to choose a rotation that fits my needs. Also, all of my rotations have been going back to back, which allows me to return home to my family sooner. If you have any questions, feel free to message me and I'll be happy to answer them.

cadmd4
09-19-2014, 01:10 AM
They're working on it.ny requires a school be a minimum of 10 yrs old to apply for approval. So i think there is still another 1-2 years, you can confirm that by calling the school. Cmu students can still apply for residency in ny. Licensure different story.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.