PDA

View Full Version : SMUFOM will be like SGU in couple of years

bosek
05-23-2012, 01:32 PM
OWNERS: Owners have very clean image and have been involved in this project since the new management took over. They run a strong business in US and in India and have very strong connections in both the countries.

STABLE FACULTY: The current owners have been able to attract the faculty that was there with prior management. That shows the faculty has lot of confidence with the current ownership. It is well known fact in the island that the faculty was poached by the other schools. However all the faculty members gave it a pass to other schools.

STRONG RESEARCH: The injection of new faculty with strong research credentials along with faculty members with prior research experience has propelled SMUFOM to secure funding from EU. Most of the Caribbean school are not focusing on research. This sets apart SMUFOM from the beginning.

STRONG ACADEMICS: The mix of old faculty along with new faculty with high USMLE scores has provided a system for strong basic science foundation. This together with proven two semester system model is providing basis for strong academics.

LOANS: SMUFOM is in the process of qualifying for OSAP loans. They have already secured loans for students from India. They have qualified for VA loans.

CLINICALS: SMUFOM is expanding the clinical presence in various countries. US, Canada, Holland, India and Nigeria are some countries where students can rotate. In addition, SMUFOM is the only medical institute in Curacao that is allowed to rotate in Curacao. None of the othere medical schools in curacao are allowed to rotate in Curacao.

RESIDENTS: SMUFOM residents are getting to real world. 3 of the graduates are in Holland and we are expecting 3 to start practicing medicine in US while 1 is already practicing in Canada.

Lot of Caribbean institution are afraid of the success that is waiting for SMUFOM and would like it to fail. With the commitment shown by the current ownership, I predict we will see different landscape in two years.

guilder2012
05-26-2012, 01:07 PM
Well said DrDkBose. I am very happy with the education. So far so good.

rokshana
05-26-2012, 01:15 PM
dude it took sgu 30 some odd yrs to become sgu...don't get ahead of yourself...

bosek
05-26-2012, 01:24 PM
The new ownership is following the path SGU has taken. They are taking steps in the right direction. At least there is one institution in the Caribbean following SGU footsteps under new ownership.

thxleave
05-26-2012, 02:15 PM
The new ownership is following the path SGU has taken. They are taking steps in the right direction. At least there is one institution in the Caribbean following SGU footsteps under new ownership.

Give solid concrete statistics if you want to argue that. Instead of hip hip hurray.... I can replace any word you say with any school, and it'll be interchangeable. Especially CMU, it really seems like SMU and CMU are both schools with common things. Like for example! They are both on the same island. Both school love to spam ValueMD forum defaming each other. The list goes on.

rokshana
05-26-2012, 06:45 PM
Give solid concrete statistics if you want to argue that. Instead of hip hip hurray.... I can replace any word you say with any school, and it'll be interchangeable. Especially CMU, it really seems like SMU and CMU are both schools with common things. Like for example! They are both on the same island. Both school love to spam ValueMD forum defaming each other. The list goes on.

nah...CMU holds a special place on vmd for being deceitful...

DrValueMD
05-26-2012, 07:03 PM
Caribbean schools are going to be obsolete in a few years. Do your research. America is creating more seats/med schools for students, and this will decrease the number of seats for international medical graduates to find residency in the match! SGU, Ross, AUC, Saba are the only schools that will be able to compete with American medical schools. 15, 000 US students, 21 000 res spots = 6000 spots for IMG's. If the 15 000 becomes 18000 or 20000, and they keep the res spots 21, 000, then IMG's are screwed. Correct me if I am wrong. Please provide statistics. The president might be making this "SGU" play to get as many students as he can to his university before his university (along with many others) become obsolete and are not able to compete with other carib schools.

bosek
05-27-2012, 07:27 AM

"thxleave", I respectfully disagree. I will point out the differences

SMUFOM owners have very clean business background.
SMUFOM has island faculty from the same island.
SMUFOM has research going on in and outside the island.
SMUFOM has secured loans from federal agency.
SMUFOM has clinical rotations in the island.
SMUFOM has 15 residents.

bosek
05-27-2012, 07:29 AM
Caribbean schools are going to be obsolete in a few years. Do your research. America is creating more seats/med schools for students, and this will decrease the number of seats for international medical graduates to find residency in the match! SGU, Ross, AUC, Saba are the only schools that will be able to compete with American medical schools. 15, 000 US students, 21 000 res spots = 6000 spots for IMG's. If the 15 000 becomes 18000 or 20000, and they keep the res spots 21, 000, then IMG's are screwed. Correct me if I am wrong. Please provide statistics. The president might be making this "SGU" play to get as many students as he can to his university before his university (along with many others) become obsolete and are not able to compete with other carib schools.

Your basic premises is incorrect. You really don't see a difference between 2 semesters a year and 3 semesters a year system.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.