PDA

View Full Version : Would anyone recommend doing any rotations in the UK?

akay00
05-23-2012, 06:32 AM
I have a few questions:
Which rotations do you have experience with? How were they?
How did you find the training and the staff to be?
What do you think are the pros and cons of doing rotations in the UK?
Did you find the move highly inconvenient?
Would it be a good idea to begin with a rotation in the UK?

I'd love as many of your experiences as you have the time to share.

Thanks!

SC88
05-23-2012, 07:01 AM
I have a few questions:

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I second Akay's questions about UK rotations. Im not currently studying at AUC, but I am applying with intention of doing the rotations here in the UK (since I'm from the UK anyway). So I also wanted to enquire about UK rotations.

Akay, Im guessing you are already studying at AUC. I just wanted to ask you, is it a good medical school? What are the pros and cons of AUC?

Thank you! :)

RfisherMD
06-16-2012, 11:17 AM
I have a few questions:

Thanks!

Rotations in the UK are largely what you make of them. They are largely self-motivated and self-learning. If you want to learn, you need to seek out doctors to teach you. That said, most of them are willing to teach if asked ahead of time and if you help them get some time free to teach (by helping them with their afternoon jobs). Many of the junior doctors (F1/F2) do not get anything in return from teaching, so they are more likely to do so if you lighten their load. One pro is European travel. A con is lack of organization; like I said, you have to be proactive. The move is not convenient, but keep in mind that with the current exchange rate, items are 60% more expensive in the UK vs USA. (ie: all price numbers are the same as US, but in pounds sterling; ex: medium fries at McD are 1 instead of $1, so with the exchange rate the fries actually cost about $1.56). This burden has been increased by the removal of a scholarship that was previously offered and the recent decrease in living allowance due to loans. I would petition AUC/DeVry to increase the living allowance while you are in the UK.

cms
07-08-2012, 07:40 AM
I have the feeling Ryan's experience is London. I am in Blackburn currently and its a tad more expensive than my current home in the middle of nowhere Indiana (Quarter Pounder Meal is ~6US as a benchmark). Some things are dirt cheap (OMG beer is cheap, esp. European beers obviously, like 50-75% of cheaper US prices) and some things are not (soda and electronics so far). Rents are cheap here in Blackburn. I will follow up in the Blackburn thread thats been here a couple of years as I go through. I do know the consensus is less scut and more hands on but you have to also be proactive about it.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.