PDA

View Full Version : NUMC vs MBCHC

Sonobe
05-19-2012, 12:33 AM
Hey all,
I have the option of going to Nassau University Medical Center for full core rotations starting in Aug or the option of doing my clinicals at the Miami Beach Community Health Clinic. I would just like peoples' opinions as to which is the better choice considering factors such as cost of housing, transportation, exposure to patients, understanding what patients are saying (my Spanish is poor), hospital experience vs. outpatient experience, and getting the skills necessary for future practice.

Thanks as always
Sonobe

P.S. - I passed Step 1 and are currently trying to schedule rotations

dreileen
05-20-2012, 12:10 AM
Hey all,
I have the option of going to Nassau University Medical Center for full core rotations starting in Aug or the option of doing my clinicals at the Miami Beach Community Health Clinic. I would just like peoples' opinions as to which is the better choice considering factors such as cost of housing, transportation, exposure to patients, understanding what patients are saying (my Spanish is poor), hospital experience vs. outpatient experience, and getting the skills necessary for future practice.

Thanks as always
Sonobe

P.S. - I passed Step 1 and are currently trying to schedule rotations

I haven't rotated at either site but when I visited with the reps from NUMC during the open house I was told that NUMC would "allow" me to do up to 3 electives "somewhere else". I was displeased with the thought that a third party could somehow control my education in such a manner. I'm not sure if that "rule" still exists and how it could possibly be enforced. On the one hand, it is very convenient to be able to schedule electives at the same place you do cores but if you have no desire to stay in NY, you may want to consider this before making a decision. Electives are the one link we have for checking out other institutions prior to residency.

Tiger1
05-20-2012, 11:27 AM
I did all of my cores and the majority of my 4th year at NUMC. Despite being in NY, there are a lot of spanish speaking patients at NUMC because it serves at the so-called "charity hospital" in Nassau county. Having said that, I didn't speak any Spanish at all and never felt like it was a problem. Most of the patients spoke a little English and understood even more. For those patients that didn't, there were almost always people who could speak Spanish or phones easily accessible that you could use for a translator service. Being able to do all of my rotations at the same place was a huge advantage I felt. It made it much easier to get letters of recommendation because most attendings would not start writing letters until May/June/July of your 3rd year. If you had a good attending in August at another hospital or maybe even another city, it would be difficult to get them to write that letter for you. Whereas, if you are at the same hospital for everything, then it is very easy to go back for that letter. As for being able to do electives at other places, they will allow you to do only 2-3 "outside" electives. Honestly, this is more than enough regardless of where you want to end of for residency. You have the whole fall, from August through November to do away electives and have them pay off. The whole idea behind away electives is to get interviews at certain places and be ranked highly by programs. I don't see anything wrong with only having 2-3 opportunities for those away electives especially since it can get expensive trying to move around month to month to do those electives. I very much enjoyed my time at NUMC and would definitely make the same decision to go there again if I had to do it all over again. If you have any more questions at all about NUMC, feel free to ask them in this thread or send me a PM.

Ubuntu
05-20-2012, 10:32 PM
I did all of my cores and the majority of my 4th year at NUMC. Despite being in NY, there are a lot of spanish speaking patients at NUMC because it serves at the so-called "charity hospital" in Nassau county. Having said that, I didn't speak any Spanish at all and never felt like it was a problem. Most of the patients spoke a little English and understood even more. For those patients that didn't, there were almost always people who could speak Spanish or phones easily accessible that you could use for a translator service. Being able to do all of my rotations at the same place was a huge advantage I felt. It made it much easier to get letters of recommendation because most attendings would not start writing letters until May/June/July of your 3rd year. If you had a good attending in August at another hospital or maybe even another city, it would be difficult to get them to write that letter for you. Whereas, if you are at the same hospital for everything, then it is very easy to go back for that letter. [B][B][B][B][B]As for being able to do electives at other places, they will allow you to do only 2-3 "outside" electives. Honestly, this is more than enough regardless of where you want to end of for residency. You have the whole fall, from August through November to do away electives and have them pay off. The whole idea behind away electives is to get interviews at certain places and be ranked highly by programs. I don't see anything wrong with only having 2-3 opportunities for those away electives especially since it can get expensive trying to move around month to month to do those electives. I very much enjoyed my time at NUMC and would definitely make the same decision to go there again if I had to do it all over again. If you have any more questions at all about NUMC, feel free to ask them in this thread or send me a PM.

From what I've heard..NUMC all the way. I don't know why people are afraid of only being allowed 2-3 electives somewhere else. Like Tiger said, you'll use those to essentially try and have a rolling interview at that program. From how I have my stuff scheduled out I can't imagine doing more than 2 electives in the field that I want to go into...financially or time wise. I would think it'd be pointless to do them november/december since you'll hopefully be traveling for interviews. So that would leave you with sept and oct to do electives where you want to match assuming you finish cores and have enough time to fit step 2 ck/cs in around july. andddd with all of that blabbing I'm done...just refer to Tiger ;)

Tiger1
05-20-2012, 10:40 PM
Yeah, good point on the Nov/Dec electives. I was completely forgetting the interview season. So, you have August-October to do those outside electives, which should still be more than enough time to do a couple of away electives.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.