PDA

View Full Version : Clarifying Admissions Process and my Circumstances

monopoly
05-18-2012, 12:42 PM
Hello everyone,

I am extremely interested in pursuing the 6 year MD Program at Gdansk. I am a Canadian citizen with a Polish background (completely fluent and also considered to be a Polish citizen) who studied at University of Toronto. I have already completed (but will be receiving) my Bachelor of Arts degree next month at my convocation. I barely took any science courses in university because my program was mostly concentrated in the arts like English and Philosophy.

I'm looking at taking some high school credits in science online through ILC.org which is approved by the Ministry of Education, notably biology and chemistry. The reason for this is because I barely took sciences near the end of high school because I did not think I would want to pursue anything science-related at the time. But after 6 years of being relatively science free, I can tell you I really miss it and feel largely imbalanced due to the lack of science education. I even miss math!

So I am just wondering now, if I were to take the Chemistry and Biology high school credits and complete them before the deadline (July 25th), could I apply for the MD program? And what are my chances of getting in if those marks were great (like A's)?

They also say that part of the admissions process is to take the 'entrance exam'. It says the entrance exam covers the subjects of chemistry and biology at the high school level, so would the high school credits I take really suffice for this exam (on top of the copious amount of studying I'll be doing)?

If you think that my high school credits would not be enough, do you think I should take the Premed Program to really brush up on my sciences? I'm leaning towards doing this as this premed program would be from this November 2012 to May 2013, and it would really give me the year to prepare. I'm thinking that what I learn in this Premed program would really help me in the entrance exam for the MD program, as well as acceptance because they will see I am serious about this.

Sorry if my questions seem silly. My thinking is that it's too good to be true to apply straight from high school to an MD program as I have many friends here in Canada who have slaved away for 4-5 years at earning their Bachelor of Science so they can apply to medical school. It seems that if they did their research beforehand they could have skipped out on the Bachelor of Science and gone straight to a 6 year MD program overseas that accepts high school students. I'm not one to regret getting an education, but if there's a way to save a little bit of time in a process that is already lengthy, then I don't think there's anything wrong with doing that.

Thank you for all your help, I appreciate all your feedback! :)

duzzy
05-19-2012, 05:51 PM
Hello everyone,

I am extremely interested in pursuing the 6 year MD Program at Gdansk. I am a Canadian citizen with a Polish background (completely fluent and also considered to be a Polish citizen) who studied at University of Toronto. I have already completed (but will be receiving) my Bachelor of Arts degree next month at my convocation. I barely took any science courses in university because my program was mostly concentrated in the arts like English and Philosophy.

I'm looking at taking some high school credits in science online through ILC.org which is approved by the Ministry of Education, notably biology and chemistry. The reason for this is because I barely took sciences near the end of high school because I did not think I would want to pursue anything science-related at the time. But after 6 years of being relatively science free, I can tell you I really miss it and feel largely imbalanced due to the lack of science education. I even miss math!

So I am just wondering now, if I were to take the Chemistry and Biology high school credits and complete them before the deadline (July 25th), could I apply for the MD program? And what are my chances of getting in if those marks were great (like A's)?

They also say that part of the admissions process is to take the 'entrance exam'. It says the entrance exam covers the subjects of chemistry and biology at the high school level, so would the high school credits I take really suffice for this exam (on top of the copious amount of studying I'll be doing)?

If you think that my high school credits would not be enough, do you think I should take the Premed Program to really brush up on my sciences? I'm leaning towards doing this as this premed program would be from this November 2012 to May 2013, and it would really give me the year to prepare. I'm thinking that what I learn in this Premed program would really help me in the entrance exam for the MD program, as well as acceptance because they will see I am serious about this.

Sorry if my questions seem silly. My thinking is that it's too good to be true to apply straight from high school to an MD program as I have many friends here in Canada who have slaved away for 4-5 years at earning their Bachelor of Science so they can apply to medical school. It seems that if they did their research beforehand they could have skipped out on the Bachelor of Science and gone straight to a 6 year MD program overseas that accepts high school students. I'm not one to regret getting an education, but if there's a way to save a little bit of time in a process that is already lengthy, then I don't think there's anything wrong with doing that.

Thank you for all your help, I appreciate all your feedback! :)

I actually wrote everything I wrote based on information I read a long time ago. I just looked the website and I'm pretty confused myself now.

monopoly
05-19-2012, 06:39 PM
I actually wrote everything I wrote based on information I read a long time ago. I just looked the website and I'm pretty confused myself now.

Hmm I'm assuming you deleted your original post because you didn't want to pass on incorrect information, but I got your original post emailed to me and one part you mention: A) piece of paper saying that you have completed some sort of secondary education which allows you to attend a university in the state(country) which it was issued in.

In Canada here the minimum you need to get into an MD program is a 3 or 4 year Bachelors degree (some med schools accept 3 years, others don't). So, in that case Gdansk also wants me to have a Bachelor's degree...with chemistry and biology at the undergraduate level. Hmm, wouldn't it make more sense for me then to go to Gdansk's 6 months premed program to brush up on my sciences and then apply to their MD program in 2013...than to go back to university here and enroll in courses as they'll take longer to complete. I'm not one to find a shortcut, but I like to have a practical timeline ahead of me too.

Thank you for your help, this post has gotten a lot of views, hopefully more people can chime in. If I don't hear from anyone else on here by Monday I will contact the recruiter Lehrermed and hopefully they can elaborate (and I'll update this thread with their answer).

Cheers!

duzzy
05-19-2012, 07:04 PM
Yes you're right I don't want to give you wrong information. However, I can tell you that you do have options for using your 4 year degree in Poland. I know Jagiellonian has a 4 year program for North American students who completed their 4 year degree. The problem with that is you need your core science classes which include 2 years of chemistry. If you want to stick to the 6 year program then yes you do need to take the entrance exam.

This was copied from the Gdansk website

Candidates with “old” Polish High School Diploma or High School Diploma from foreign schools are obliged to take an entrance exam in biology and chemistry at the level of high school. Exam will take place at the University on 31st July 2012. Candidates will be selected by the Admission Committee on the basis of their final scores in entrance exam and scores from High School Diploma in biology and chemistry. The Admission Committee is authorized to conduct an additional oral examination based mainly on biology and chemistry.

The 6 year programs do not require a 4 year degree because medical education in many Euro countries works differently. Lets say you're a Polish citizen who went to high school in Poland. You go straight out of high school into medical school which is 6 years. I'm from Chicago and in the US it's the same thing as in Canada. You need to finish your undergrad first before even considering medical school.

When I said you need a piece of paper that states you took chemistry and biology I meant that it has to be a transcript from a school with a passing grade (C or higher). I met with a president of a department from Jagiellonian and he said that since education is differently everywhere they require these tests to see if the potential candidates are able to deal with sciences on the institutions level. He said that there is no way around it.

Advice to you:

IF you can take a general chemistry and bio class before the application deadline and submit your application then by all means do so. But you will really have to dedicate yourself to studying the material because it's not easy if you have never seen the stuff before.

IF it's not possible to take these classes before the deadline then apply to the premed course. If you have any questions let me know and I can try to find out for you. I'm actually in Poland right now and I'll be going to Gdansk very soon to apply in person.

To summarize everything:

You need chemistry and biology completed. No way around it.

You will have to take the entrance exam since you're applying with transcripts not from Polski Land. The only people who might follow different rules are Norwegians/Swedes because these English programs were designed for them.

Edit: You are on the same boat as I was a year ago. I didn't have any chemistry completed so I took 2 chemistry classes and a bio in Chicago. I flew back here, applied, and now I'm studying for the entrance exams.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.