PDA

View Full Version : What kind of computer?

Nafs
05-12-2012, 09:11 AM
Hello people!

I will probably attend Medical University of Gdansk this autumn and now I'm about to buy a new computer. First, I'm not sure whether or not I should buy a laptop or stick with a desktop. I'm thinking either a 13" macbook pro or a 27" iMac. Since I haven't been studying at a university before I would like to know what you think! Can a laptop help me with my studies when at the library or at a lecture or do I find what I need in the books? Second I would like to know if mac can run with whatever software the university wants us to use?

Thanks in advance,

Anton :)

monopoly
05-18-2012, 12:56 PM
Hello,

I can only speculate on my undergrad university experience and tell you that using my MacBook Pro was GREAT. I personally like typing what the professor is saying as well as including any additional notes, and these days almost everything is compatible with Mac OS. Also, I think if you sit near the front of the classroom you could also record your professor's lectures using your macbook.

I also really like the macbook as it's relatively light compared to other laptops and very user friendly, very reliable, and very powerful. I do realize you're already dropping a lot of money on tuition, and that macbooks aren't cheap, but well worth the investment. Also good on battery life (up to 3 hours).

If you don't think you'll be using a computer a lot, then maybe a netbook would suffice. They are less powerful than laptops but have a great battery length (over 3 hours) and are very light. They are smaller too, but I remember when I had one they were really nice to carry around campus and easy to use.

If you are using Microsoft OS and are thinking of getting an Apple computer, I recommend buying the computer at least a month or two before you start your program so that you can adjust properly to your new computer. I remember when I first started using my macbook I was extremely frustrated at first because I couldn't maneuver/find things properly, but with a little bit of time you'll find it's super easy once you're used to it. I just think that's a good thing to do in advance before starting out medical school. Good luck! :)

Nafs
05-21-2012, 11:28 AM
Hello,

I can only speculate on my undergrad university experience and tell you that using my MacBook Pro was GREAT. I personally like typing what the professor is saying as well as including any additional notes, and these days almost everything is compatible with Mac OS. Also, I think if you sit near the front of the classroom you could also record your professor's lectures using your macbook.

I also really like the macbook as it's relatively light compared to other laptops and very user friendly, very reliable, and very powerful. I do realize you're already dropping a lot of money on tuition, and that macbooks aren't cheap, but well worth the investment. Also good on battery life (up to 3 hours).

If you don't think you'll be using a computer a lot, then maybe a netbook would suffice. They are less powerful than laptops but have a great battery length (over 3 hours) and are very light. They are smaller too, but I remember when I had one they were really nice to carry around campus and easy to use.

If you are using Microsoft OS and are thinking of getting an Apple computer, I recommend buying the computer at least a month or two before you start your program so that you can adjust properly to your new computer. I remember when I first started using my macbook I was extremely frustrated at first because I couldn't maneuver/find things properly, but with a little bit of time you'll find it's super easy once you're used to it. I just think that's a good thing to do in advance before starting out medical school. Good luck! :)

Hey man, thanks a lot for the answer. I've got some money saved up and I'll be working this summer so I should have enough for a macbook pro. :) I'll be watching videos on the computer so I think a netbook would be too small.

Good night and thanks again!

kathleenmurphyib
07-02-2012, 01:09 AM
Back in my IB class, over 70% of us had MacBooks, these computers are incredibly powerful. I'll carry on the thread just to verify that if you need a reliable computer, you should get a MB. I have an Air (I really liked how lightweight it is, and I don't store too much on here, everything goes on my external drive), but if you think you will be using a computer a lot, using heavy programs, or storing large files, then go for the Pro. In much of the sense, the MB will help you organize yourself so much more, and its much more accessible. Like monopoly said, taking lectures in class on a keyboard is so much more efficient than writing, especially if the professor won't wait for you to finish writing notes on a powerpoint. If you need some good apps, send me a PM and I can tell you what would be great for university -- not just for taking notes, but also project planning, financing and budgeting (important in uni). I LOVE my Mac, its a beautiful work of art really, so don't hesitate.

Nafs
07-02-2012, 12:43 PM
Thanks for your participation in this thread! I believe I'm pretty much convinced by now, and will buy the retina macbook pro as soon as it comes out :) I've never really used a mac before so what you're writing is indeed very interesting. I'll send you a PM about apps.

Thanks again

epimed
07-02-2012, 01:22 PM
The retina MBP is already out btw (15" MBP only).

kathleenmurphyib
07-23-2012, 07:18 PM
Retina display is out for MBP but it doesn't have a drive like the Air. I love my Air, don't get me wrong, but if you're going to choose between an Air and a Pro, when it comes down to function, then go for the pro. It has more tools, an Ethernet port, and a CD-Drive. While the retina display MBP is pretty and fancy, its not very different from the Air in terms of function and I wouldn't recommend it until they tweak the features a bit. Good luck!

haris1412
11-30-2012, 04:22 AM
Mac all the way!

Baasit786
03-24-2013, 04:48 PM
Mac? ;) loooool

medice
03-26-2013, 10:28 AM
not the mac, iMac : )

reichmann
03-26-2013, 10:37 AM
there are some pics here, just click on 'picks' : ) www.facebook.com/medschools.eu

scapula08
01-01-2014, 03:50 PM
27 iMac!!! the only thing you need in med school :D

mberger
01-04-2014, 05:20 PM
are any of you recommending getting iPhone, iPad and iMac - good idea? Helpful in med school, or waste of money?

medice
01-05-2014, 07:37 AM
ya but get it once you're in Europe - just in case the networks don't work on your canadian/u.s. stuff. some iPhones and iPads are locked into the american networks. and i mac, just get it here as well, don't put a 27 inch into your suitcase lol

scapula08
01-12-2014, 11:14 AM
good point!

AaronBlack
01-14-2015, 04:53 PM
what did you guys end up doing with this, iMac helpful?

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.