PDA

View Full Version : SMU Grad updates!

UFTim
04-28-2012, 12:54 PM
Hi everyone,
It's been a very long time since I posted on here. I have been busy with love, life, residency and was getting tired of some of all the oiling of the squeaky wheels on this forum. I came on here today to since I'm getting a little nostalgic as I have 60 days left of residency. It's unbelievable to think I joined this site in 2005--7 years ago.

7 years ago I started the journey. I didn't know what to expect, but had a lot of expectations. i remember my first days on the island trying to buy a bicycle, meeting my roommates and future friends, which included an eventual groomsman in my wedding. I joined ValueMD a month into medical school as a place to learn more about my school and discuss ways of resolving issues we had. It guided me through basic and clinical science years.

As I sit here reminiscing, I want to encourage everyone to work hard, avoid distraction and stay the course. i'm graduating from my residency and easily received a great job. I'll be able to pay my loans off even in a 'low' paying field like Family Medicine. I remember being at the bottom in basic sciences and trying to imagine making it to clinicals, but here I am on my way to start life as a private attending.

I'd love for this to be a thread to update on alums to see what everyone is doing. Hope my ValueMD friends are doing well, and I feel like I definitely found support in a difficult time in my life here, and am thankful for that.

docblin
04-29-2012, 11:08 AM
Congratulations Tim, Dr B in Miami here. I knew you would do it. Alex is starting his second FM year (3rd after 2010 graduation from SMU) Remember he did a prelim surg. year in 2010/11:clapover:. He is at Hoboken Hospital and is loving the NYC life. He is most likely going to be Administrative chief resident next year and he passed Step III back in Dec 2011. For me 34+ years in PS in Miami, still cutting away. Always great to hear about you and your family. Again my personal best. PM me if you like or PM Alex. :p

shades mccool
04-29-2012, 11:26 AM
Congratulations Tim! It reminds the rest of us that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

BrightFuture
05-01-2012, 07:35 AM
on a sad note, how many of your first semester classmates didn't make it till the end? how many mds didn't find a match right away?

azulpanther
05-01-2012, 09:23 PM
Is it tim's fault or anyone elses fault if someone failed ? If anyone failed its their own fault. I'm definitely not the sharpest tool in the shed so if I made it so can anyone else. Finding residency is depended on different factors. No one is guarantee a residency once they earn an MD.

thxleave
05-01-2012, 09:28 PM
on a sad note, how many of your first semester classmates didn't make it till the end? how many mds didn't find a match right away?

Haha... I know you have beef against SMU, and it's declining quality. Though this thread isn't really the right tone for that.

BrightFuture
05-02-2012, 04:25 AM
i have nothing against smu. i am just asking a simple question.

from what i have read online, US med. schools will try to make students to stay instead of dropping out, but caribbean schools actually actively fail students in order to make money.

docblin
05-02-2012, 07:03 AM
BrightFuture, this is a thread for SMU grads to post their successes. Either start your own thread or refrain from these useless posts to this thread. Azulpanther please block this person's posting here. I find it inappropriate for the topic. Regards Dr.Blin.

kishkash186
05-02-2012, 03:05 PM
Couldn't help yourself could you brightfuture?

Waiting for the others to start dumping on SMU just for the sake of it.

We had around 22 pre matches this year which is pretty good going for a school apparently going down hill.

Can't wait to hear what you matched into brightfuture. There is a correlation between students who spend time on here bitching and lack of residency.

forced
05-03-2012, 01:30 AM
from what i have read online, US med. schools will try to make students to stay instead of dropping out, but caribbean schools actually actively fail students in order to make money.

BrightFuture...
for the above statement.. can you please provide an online or any other credible source please?

thxleave
05-03-2012, 04:04 AM
BrightFuture...
for the above statement.. can you please provide an online or any other credible source please?

Well...... there is a lot of criticism some caribbean med school prefer students to drop out of clinical. Caribbean schools do have higher rate of attrition in general.

forced
05-03-2012, 04:14 AM
well..we can discuss about this in other thread...I don't wanna highjack this thread meant for Successful SMU grads....
Congrats guys...People like u give us motivation to work that much harder towards our goals...

BrightFuture
05-03-2012, 06:40 AM
BrightFuture...

easy, search for "Dropping Out of Medical School Uncensored", then you will find the blog.

here is the quote, "The school gave me six weeks to try again. But I requested a leave of absence instead. They said that would be just fine and that I could come back anytime over the next twelve months with no questions asked. (But Id have to retake Step 1)."

cardiomegaly
05-03-2012, 09:41 AM
I actually met a few physicians a few years back that went to John Hopkins. 1 guy failed his complete first year but they didnt kick him out. He repeated the 1st year over again. Then a friend of a friend went to a midwest medical school and failed her 2nd semester. Her school allowed her to retake classes during the summer. I only know a few US educated doctors. based on there testimonies it seems that their class follows them throughout their time in medical school.

kishkash186
05-05-2012, 06:37 AM
I got a residency so there's hope.

Double 99 in both exams and got matched into a great psychiatry program in Syracuse.

There is hope at SMU if you keep your head down and study hard.

cardiomegaly
05-05-2012, 08:26 AM

Double 99 in both exams and got matched into a great psychiatry program in Syracuse.

I agree you can do well and match at many of these Medical schools. There are many success stories and many sad stories. ALL of these schools have cons and all of these schools have pros.

Congrats on matching

forced
05-05-2012, 06:26 PM

Congrats Kishkash186. It proves that working hard is what really matters!!!

thxleave
05-05-2012, 06:32 PM

Now you can shut dailybasis down when he comes to complain.

docblin
05-06-2012, 07:23 AM
Congrats kishkash186. Any other stories out there???

kishkash186
05-06-2012, 07:44 AM
Just take a look at the match list. I know three people from the UK who prematched into places.

One of my friends got into Emory for Neurology. Another of my close friends is going to Bridgeport which has strong links to Yale.

GuitarHeroMD
05-09-2012, 08:25 PM
Congrats kishkash186. Any other stories out there???

I graduated in May 2010 from SMU, then started an IM residency July 2010. One year left till I graduate from my Internal Medicine residency program and start fellowship.

thxleave
05-09-2012, 08:32 PM
LOL; Dailybasis is sending me PM attacking me for making a offhand remark about kishkash having ammo against dailybasis. This is some interesting drama.

rokshana
05-09-2012, 08:50 PM
I graduated in May 2011 from SMU, then started an IM residency July 2011. One year left till I graduate from my Internal Medicine residency program and start fellowship.

you may want to fix your numbers here...if you started in 2011 aren't you an intern? :)

kishkash186
05-09-2012, 09:53 PM
Yeah, he just sent me one saying I was lying about my scores. I'll try and post them up one day to prove a point. At least he's kinda gotten out of the delusion that I'm the dean.
Oh and if anyone wants to give me specific examples of how I always stick up for SMU no matter what feel free to post them.

GuitarHeroMD
05-09-2012, 09:56 PM
you may want to fix your numbers here...if you started in 2011 aren't you an intern? :)

L.M.A.O....fixed ;-)

rokshana
05-09-2012, 09:59 PM
L.M.A.O....fixed ;-)

yeah would suck if you did an intern yr twice!! (ugh could you IMAGINE!)....

thxleave
05-10-2012, 02:53 AM
Yeah, he just sent me one saying I was lying about my scores. I'll try and post them up one day to prove a point. At least he's kinda gotten out of the delusion that I'm the dean.
Oh and if anyone wants to give me specific examples of how I always stick up for SMU no matter what feel free to post them.

Yeah he keep spamming me with very belligerent messages. I don't really mind since I find them a bit hilarious. I mean it's the internet, nothing is serious except for post count :D. Meeting people like him, made me realize that 50% not matching NRMP statistics is generous.

kishkash186
05-10-2012, 08:27 AM
Hahahha, yeah it's scary. I'm done and check into value md every so often to see what's up. Some people seem to have an agenda and a quite easily upset when you call them up on it.

To be honest most grads don't come on here and there are a few grads who are not even on the match list. If anyone wants more info I'd suggest going to the alumni co ordinator.

GuitarHeroMD
05-10-2012, 08:33 PM
yeah would suck if you did an intern yr twice!! (ugh could you IMAGINE!)....

The thought of that gave me a terrible bout of gastritis!

Dr Rich
05-10-2012, 09:43 PM
Is it just me or is this one of the saddest threads in the history of this forum? :rolleyes:

thxleave
05-10-2012, 09:57 PM
Is it just me or is this one of the saddest threads in the history of this forum? :rolleyes:

It's pretty positive. Well it start positive then a lot of things happened. Kinda like a high school romance, that lead to unexpected pregnacy.

MD999
08-31-2012, 12:22 AM
Graduated residency training in 2011.

Board certified, Senior Staff physician and Faculty member in a large primary care residency program in a large inner city.

Also full time Emergency Medicine/Hospitalist Medical Director for another institution (rural).

ALSO in the midst of an MPH degree (did the MBA with Davenport already).

Yeah I know... I'm intentionally busy..and enjoying it!

Keep moving forward guys....whether its with SMU or with whomever.... just dont stop.

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.