PDA

View Full Version : Warning - St. Martinus will close AGAIN

livewirejack
04-28-2012, 10:56 AM
I want to warn prospective students about this crumbling piece of dung that has closed various times in the past few years and calls itself a medical school.

I used to attend St. Martinus but I’m now at CMU where things are a hell of a lot better.

These are the reasons I left St. Martinus and moved to CMU:

1. Low student numbers (20-25 students total on campus) – I knew that the school had closed in the past, but the fact that the numbers kept decreasing and nothing was being done about it did not give me confidence. The worst thing about it was that newer medical schools on the island (CMU & Avalon) were recruiting large numbers every semester while St Martinus got maybe 1 or 2 new MD1’s (pathetic in my book and the first sign of a school that is non-competitive and sinking).

2. The lies – I was lied to about the curriculum and clinical sites ( I eventually found out that the school has no clinical affiliations with ANY hospital in the United States or Canada, this is after we were told that they had rotations in the US, Canada and even Europe, all lies etc etc etc They may have a clinical program but any rotation you do at SMU will not be ACGME approved, meaning that your residency chances drop to nearly zero)

3. The Program itself – Is a joke. There are only 4 full time members of faculty who have no real teaching or clinical experience. The school hired them and sacked the US faculty because they were cheap . One of them (a 26 year old) was even made the dean for a while.

4. Tuition fees – St Martinus charges $8,000 and what you get for your $8,000 is a school with all of the problems above. The other schools charge half as much and have none of the problems above.

The truth is that this school is on the road to closing down AGAIN and blaming the other schools on the island such as CMU is not the way to go, it just makes you guys look desperate. CMU have none of the problems above, we have never closed down in the past and we have a large student body with US faculty. It’s a no brainer, why would anyone in their right mind defend a school like St Martinus that will be closed this time next year

Apply anywhere but here

Itookthegamepro
05-05-2012, 06:35 PM
1. Wait I counted 32 last time I was in school, O WAIT YOUR TALKING ABOUT CMU, since obviously you were just there.
2. Wait a second...YOU MEAN like how people are rotating right now through Georgia, Ohio, and Michigan as of this very moment? yeah..your right I'm going to listen to some random guy on valuemd that is obviously an old time post (join date 2012) and after their was already 2 negative posts within 2 hours of each other)
3. Ah, tHE US faculty was 1 guy, and your right he was fired, for having a degree from a south american school that you can pay for.
4. This is not Sparta,

SMU never closed down, if you can show by either calling ECFMG, or IMED, and having them post an email saying they did then that would be valid.

Dude go back to lurking the CMU forums and making up things, then maybe you can con another 20 failures from other schools into coming and never becoming doctors, OPEN SINCE 07 APPARENTLY AND 0 DOCTORS AND 1 ROTATING KID, GO CMU GO!

thxleave
05-05-2012, 07:17 PM
1. Wait I counted 32 last time I was in school, O WAIT YOUR TALKING ABOUT CMU, since obviously you were just there.
2. Wait a second...YOU MEAN like how people are rotating right now through Georgia, Ohio, and Michigan as of this very moment? yeah..your right I'm going to listen to some random guy on valuemd that is obviously an old time post (join date 2012) and after their was already 2 negative posts within 2 hours of each other)
3. Ah, tHE US faculty was 1 guy, and your right he was fired, for having a degree from a south american school that you can pay for.
4. This is not Sparta,

SMU never closed down, if you can show by either calling ECFMG, or IMED, and having them post an email saying they did then that would be valid.

Dude go back to lurking the CMU forums and making up things, then maybe you can con another 20 failures from other schools into coming and never becoming doctors, OPEN SINCE 07 APPARENTLY AND 0 DOCTORS AND 1 ROTATING KID, GO CMU GO!

That is out right lie. It's true they closed down at least two times. School under new ownership.

Untel
05-06-2012, 12:31 AM
I've read that somewhere...

Yeah, it was in this thread: http://www.valuemd.com/st-martinus-medical-school/223643-smu-close.html
;)

krissi
05-21-2012, 11:15 AM
2. The lies – I was lied to about the curriculum and clinical sites ( I eventually found out that the school has no clinical affiliations with ANY hospital in the United States or Canada, this is after we were told that they had rotations in the US, Canada and even Europe, all lies etc etc etc They may have a clinical program but any rotation you do at SMU will not be ACGME approved, meaning that your residency chances drop to nearly zero)

The red flag for any student planning on applying here is the absence of any US clinical sites/hospitals on their website, which is a very bad sign, every other school in the Caribbean lists their clinical sites and that is why US and Canadian students should avoid this school and look at others.

krissi
05-21-2012, 08:54 PM
Oh i forgot, they recently dropped their tuition fees from $8000 to $5,400. Just wanted to correct the original poster. This is a big drop in tuition for a school that is supposedly doing well and claims to attract students. The fee drop makes me seriously question that, all other caribbean schools are increasing tuition not reducing it. Not a good sign

mdcur
05-22-2012, 12:29 AM
Tuitions got dropped to match the facilities they have- 2 full time faculty only, teaching most of the courses.

thxleave
05-22-2012, 02:07 AM
Seems like SMU is on damage control by posting some stuff such as resident testimonials..........

mdcur
05-22-2012, 02:12 AM
Seems like SMU is on damage control by posting some stuff such as resident testimonials..........

true that... seems like one desperate admin fella filling up the posts.

can someone take an head count of the all their faculty members listed on the school website?

thxleave
05-22-2012, 02:36 AM
Man they are on the warpath spamming their forum with "quotes". Where is the sources!?!?!?! Provide links and NRMP match data or whatever! It's just one dude spamming over and over.

mdcur
05-22-2012, 05:58 AM
Man they are on the warpath spamming their forum with "quotes". Where is the sources!?!?!?! Provide links and NRMP match data or whatever! It's just one dude spamming over and over.

They have none!

100% USMLE passing rate- guess even US Med schools aren't this successful in training their students.

mdcur
05-22-2012, 06:17 AM
The red flag for any student planning on applying here is the absence of any US clinical sites/hospitals on their website, which is a very bad sign, every other school in the Caribbean lists their clinical sites and that is why US and Canadian students should avoid this school and look at others.

What does this mean?

krissi
05-22-2012, 08:56 AM
What does this mean?

It means that the people attending the school at this time may never get US residencies because the clinical rotations they ''supposedly'' have have are unlikely to be ACGME approved. Their failure to list the sites on their website says it all

mdcur
05-22-2012, 11:54 AM
It means that the people attending the school at this time may never get US residencies because the clinical rotations they ''supposedly'' have have are unlikely to be ACGME approved. Their failure to list the sites on their website says it all

The School owner has some papers for rotations, unless they are all manipulated?

krissi
05-22-2012, 12:06 PM
The School owner has some papers for rotations, unless they are all manipulated?

I don't know whether they are or not. What I do know is that hiding your clinical sites looks very shady. I would not want to go to a school that may have useless/non-affiliated rotations where I will be observing not rotating and may not be recognized by the ACGME. Who wants to waste 4 years of their time and money, pass well on the USMLE 1/2 and still not get a residency? Some people may take that risk but not me

mdcur
05-22-2012, 12:17 PM
I don't know whether they are or not. What I do know is that hiding your clinical sites looks very shady. I would not want to go to a school that may have useless/non-affiliated rotations where I will be observing not rotating and may not be recognized by the ACGME. Who wants to waste 4 years of their time and money, pass well on the USMLE 1/2 and still not get a residency? Some people may take that risk but not me

How do we actually get to know if the rotations they offer are ACGME approved. I know one student from here is rotating in a Doctors Office, are there kind of rotations at Doctors office ACGME approved and will they be accepted by ECFMG to start Residency Program?

bosek
05-22-2012, 02:04 PM
Where are u rotating and which school are you from? As far as I can none of the students are rotating in doctors office.

krissi
05-22-2012, 04:14 PM
How do we actually get to know if the rotations they offer are ACGME approved. I know one student from here is rotating in a Doctors Office, are there kind of rotations at Doctors office ACGME approved and will they be accepted by ECFMG to start Residency Program?

As far as I know, the only way you can check if your rotations are ACGME approved is to contact the ACGME or the hospitals that you'll be rotating in. Most caribbean schools provide prospective students with a list of hospitals on their website, but this school obviously doesn't want students or parents calling. That's why I think its risky to apply or go to this school

krissi
05-22-2012, 10:50 PM
The spamming on this forum is really scary. You have admin trying to bury truthful posts with random message threads. A credible school would be open with the students and just tell them the truth. I don't see that happening anytime soon.

mdcur
05-22-2012, 11:56 PM
As far as I know, the only way you can check if your rotations are ACGME approved is to contact the ACGME or the hospitals that you'll be rotating in. Most caribbean schools provide prospective students with a list of hospitals on their website, but this school obviously doesn't want students or parents calling. That's why I think its risky to apply or go to this school

In a nutshell, this school has 2 young teachers from India & several other non-existing ones listed on their website, high tuition cost, dwindling student body, no official transcripts issued to any students, falsified faculty list on the website, a very defensive school owner spamming the forum with silly information when asked about ACGME approved Clinical rotations!

Drastic reduction of tuition fees from 8000US$ to 5400US$ rings alarm bells. Does it mean the tuitions paid by the current students and some of the students who left the island finishing their Basic Sciences will be rebated?

verokmed
05-23-2012, 12:08 AM
you guys are right. All genuine schools increase the tuition over the time cause they improve the campus and quality of education but Martinus is going the opposite direction cause no one wants to attend this shady place. There are 2 newer med schools in Curacao and both of them have few times more students on campus than Martinus which leads to another disaster and going bankrupt like they already did 3 times in the past. Students beware!!!

Most of their students have already transfered out leaving the school with about 10 students on campus. I would advise you to look for any other place that will guaranty clinical rotations and the transcripts cause otherwise you will just waist your time and money.

mdcur
05-23-2012, 12:39 AM
you guys are right. All genuine schools increase the tuition over the time cause they improve the campus and quality of education but Martinus is going the opposite direction cause no one wants to attend this shady place. There are 2 newer med schools in Curacao and both of them have few times more students on campus than Martinus which leads to another disaster and going bankrupt like they already did 3 times in the past. Students beware!!!

Most of their students have already transfered out leaving the school with about 10 students on campus. I would advise you to look for any other place that will guaranty clinical rotations and the transcripts cause otherwise you will just waist your time and money.

Pity the state of those 10 students, what makes them stay back?

krissi
05-23-2012, 03:19 PM
Its funny how the students or faculty at this school love to bury their heads in the sand. Spamming the forum wont make your problems go away. If you want to prove your critics wrong, show your clinical sites like every other Caribbean school. Any US or Canadian student that has hopes of getting into a residency should be worried that none of the schools ''supposed'' US rotations are ACGME approved

mdcur
05-23-2012, 11:05 PM
Which are the Clinical Sites in the US? We did call all the ACGME approved hospitals in Illinois, Maryland, Chicago, New York, & Georgia as well. SMUFOM has no Clinical spots for any of their students.

As a matter of fact, Clinical Rotation spots are procured in an ACGME approved Teaching hospitals by advance payment just like any other Caribbean Medical Schools. Don't know if this school has done it already or if they have enough funds to do so.

The school website has many fake profile, in reality they have only 2 Indian faculty teaching most of the courses.

Their tuitions were dropped from 8000$ to 5400$, which clearly says that they are near to being bankrupt due to poor admission rates & a massive transfer out of students to nearby schools.

Based on the way how the school owners,student & faculty themselves are posting ridiculous spam threads here, when asked about ACGME approved clinical rotations makes it obvious that this school has no approved Clinical Rotations for any current or prospective student to be ECFMG certified and enter Residency Programs. The school officials need to come clean, rather than asking students to contact their non-existing Academic Dean Another Diploma Mill of the Caribbean in the making :fireworks:

mdcur
05-23-2012, 11:53 PM
Why is it so complicated to list out the Clinical sites on the school website?

Nobody here want to steal those sites!

Stop fooling students and do not post silly things in this forum to con students & parents.

krissi
05-24-2012, 10:58 AM
I don't get it either mdcur. I wish they would stop dancing around the topic and show us their ‘’so called’’ clinical sites so we can check whether they are approved by the ACGME or not.

Btw I am not a CMU student; I’ll be starting in AUA soon, I don’t get this schools paranoia. I suggest they worry about fixing their problems first (ie the fact that their current students may never work in the US or Canada).

The truth is if you are an American or Canadian student at St. Martinus you are really screwed

krissi
05-24-2012, 08:51 PM
With US clinical rotations that St. Martinus obviously doesn't have and the lack of new students, I don't get why the current students chose the worst school in the region to attend? Wouldn't it have made sense to have gone to any of the others outside the big 4 (ie MUA, AUA, Xavier, Avalon) that at least have a student body, large faculty, US clinical rotations and have no history of closing?

I'm happy I did my research before applying to schools in the caribbean. Nobody wants to be trapped with a useless diploma.

verokmed
05-25-2012, 07:32 AM
Most of the students left this place for those reasons and there are only 9 still on the campus

krissi
05-25-2012, 08:56 AM
Well I hope the 9 that are left are not planning on getting a residency in the US? If they are, then they are taking a massive risk. Its good to know that the smart ones cut their losses and left

mdcur
05-25-2012, 02:50 PM
What is their current enrolment?

krissi
05-25-2012, 05:39 PM
What is their current enrolment?

All I know is that its way below the number needed for any school to break even.

They still don't want to list the ''supposed'' rotations they claim to have in the US. Just goes to show that they are sham rotations (ie non-ACGME approved observerships)

I just hope the people on here defending this shady school are admin. It would be really sad if students were defending a place that will bar them from getting into a residency when they graduate

krissi
05-25-2012, 10:12 PM
When will this school list their clinical sites/affiliated hospitals for us to see?? The truth is they have no clinical rotations in the US (observerships don't count, and are not recognized by the ACGME).

Stop deceiving the few students you have left and prospective ones who are stupid enough to waste their money and time applying to this shady school

mdcur
05-26-2012, 01:29 PM
"Messy"

No ACGME approved rotations revealed thus far by the admin- bleak future for the current students & hopeless for prospective students.

VP of the school appears on the school website entirely on necessity based.

Faculty listing on the school website is fake. Two young Indian doctor's teaching most of the courses, which means the school is UNDER GEARED to train Basic Science students & thus, poor outcome in Step 1; Canadian Licensing Exams. "POOR VALUE FOR MONEY"

Tier 2 Caribbean Medical Schools, mostly have at least ONE faculty teaching ONE Basic Science Subject This isn't the case with this school. "Visit the school yourself to feel the pulse."

School Library- Absolutely doesn't have a LIBRARIAN! No textbooks available. Students get rudely moved out of library to smaller rooms, to cut down on electricity bills...by the school owners pompous kid & his girl friend. Its a sin, if we don't give credit to the two dogs of the school owners kid & his girl friend
has, which are let free to run up & down the classroom, library, office & the beautiful courtyard which is a free spot for the dogs to litter around.

Well, is the library reading room open 24 hours?? "Visit the school to feel the pulse"

Not many students left = existing poor finances got even messier.

krissi
05-26-2012, 03:46 PM
They have no rotations to show us because they don't have any. All they do is list random states with no hospital names.

mdcur
05-26-2012, 11:07 PM
ACGME approved Clinical Rotations in the US are provided to Medical Schools which can PAY for the individual rotation spots, provided the Med School has clean paper work.

krissi
05-27-2012, 05:28 PM
I cant believe that a school can keep deceiving people by not wanting to show its clinical sites/affiliations. The fact they're afraid to show these sites just shows that they don't have any real rotations.

I think they just have observerships with no affiliations (these would not be recognized by ACGME or any state licensing board = No residency)

livewirejack
06-14-2012, 03:37 PM
I see nothing has changed here

* SMU admin spamming the forum again
* Still no clinical rotation sites listed on the St Martinus website
* On their website I see they have given up on attracting US students. Now their main focus is India and Africa (What does that tell you?)
* They still cant attract any North American faculty
* They even had to reduce their tuition fees because they cannot attract students

This school sucks on so many levels that its actually kinda funny now. Before you even think of applying here make sure you do your research by visiting the place

verokmed
06-14-2012, 09:09 PM
They are not only spamming their own forum but others too thereofere we have to get active here

livewirejack
06-15-2012, 06:16 AM
They are not only spamming their own forum but others too thereofere we have to get active here

I know

On their website they still don't want to list their ''supposed'' clinical sites/hospital affiliation in the US.

We all know that they don't have any legitimate rotations. I just feel sorry for the poor students actually doing these shady rotations that wont be recognized by any State medical board

livewirejack
06-16-2012, 06:24 PM
I'm still waiting for their list of US affiliated hospitals???? Oh yeah, they dont have any to show us or their students

livewirejack
06-17-2012, 06:16 AM
We're waiting for the list?????

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.