PDA

View Full Version : More Facts about SMUFOM

bosek
04-10-2012, 11:08 PM
SMUFOM is one of the few Caribbean school with CMDA (Christian Medical & Dental Associations) where you are not only learning about medicine but also about compassion and spirituality.
SMUFOM is one of the universities in the world with the Sailing team.
SMUFOM is one of the handful universities with the Anatomy Lab.
SMUFOM is one of the only three Caribbean school with 2 semester program. ( SGU and AUA are the other two)

:clapover:

thxleave
04-11-2012, 01:43 AM
SMUFOM is one of the few Caribbean school with CMDA (Christian Medical & Dental Associations) where you are not only learning about medicine but also about compassion and spirituality.
SMUFOM is one of the only two Caribbean school with 2 semester program.

I shudder to think a medical school that exists without an Anatomy lab.

theMDgoat
04-11-2012, 07:23 AM
You are absolutely right to shudder thxleave: there are indeed medical schools without an Anatomy lab.
CMU for example, has students looking at DVD's and give make this count for for lab credits.
Yes, Greys Anatomy TV series is popular study material in their "anatomy lab".

guilder2012
04-11-2012, 05:57 PM
I did not know that

bosek
04-13-2012, 04:29 PM
I would suggest to disregard the post we know where are they coming from.

sunnydoc
04-18-2012, 10:23 PM
I shudder to think a medical school that exists without an Anatomy lab.

thxleave,
they are out there.. they try to push web path slides as virtual cadaver.

doc2be1day
04-20-2012, 03:32 AM
SMUFOM is one of the only two Caribbean school with 2 semester program.

SGU has a two-semester program and AUA has both two and three semester programs. So SMUFOM is not only 1 of 2. Please get your facts right.

bosek
04-21-2012, 12:34 AM
Thank you for letting me know. I have made the change.

thxleave
04-21-2012, 12:40 AM
Haha it feels like St. Martinus Medical school is under heavy scrutiny from people.

soniaa
04-21-2012, 01:20 AM
This school has students who have failed the CS exam 3 times in one year.

bosek
04-21-2012, 01:26 AM
Soniaa , Soniaa, Soniaa, remind me of an old bollywood dancer. Who wanted to act in a movie and was wronged.

Would you care to explain the pass rate of your beloved school? Let me just says you are from a school where you have 3000 students and you have less than 1% USMLE pass rate.

You like to troll SMUFOM cause you have been wronged.

Do you remember the following article?

http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/windsor-university-school-of-medicine-produces-profits-few-doctors/1069719

bosek
04-21-2012, 01:30 AM
Haha it feels like St. Martinus Medical school is under heavy scrutiny from people.

Are you a student or blogger? Average 4 posts a day.

thxleave
04-21-2012, 01:46 AM
Are you a student or blogger? Average 4 posts a day.

I'm a student matriculating into SGU this August 2012. I engage in daily conversations in order to plan out my future and determine the best choices. I have determined the school that fit me the best; to remember that USMLE is important; LOR from USCE is gold; don't fall behind; everybody falls behind; Title IV loans are important for US citizens; and a lot more. I will probably end up cutting my posts in the future when I start school. Though, who knows? Maybe by doing more of these posts I learn something that scares me from SGU, or draws me to another school? That's why I'm here posting and asking questions.

It just seems fair to question all the schools in the Caribbeans, not out of malice but of curosity. If we don't question or self-regulate the schools, there will be nobody to. I haven't did anything to denounce any specific schools, just bring out the positive and the negative. It's just the negatives shine more brightly then others.

bosek
04-21-2012, 02:06 AM
For most of the US students, civilizations starts from NewYork and ends at LA. This school had ups and down.
Academic was never an issue. It was always related to ownership and management.

There is a change that is apparent here. Faculty, admin and students have a common goal. One can experience that by visiting the school and talking to the faculty. RT (Genetics), SC (Histology) , EE(Physio), SK (EPI), S (Pharm) have been teaching the subjects for the last 5/7 years. The new faculty for Anatomy, Neuro, Biochem, Micro, Path1 and Path2 had very high USMLE scores ( 95-99%). They relate these important subjects to the other subjects from the USMLE stand point. The level of block exams is same as USMLE.

I feel fortunate that I will end up with extremely strong background on Path and Pharm. I am also expecting high USMLE when I get to take them.

I am told that anyone can come and sit for the classes to see the quality of the education.

This school has always faced problems with a diploma mill university in the island.
That diploma mill university will always poach students who are looking for just a paper for USMLE.

Are there problems? yes there are. I consider those as minor problems. I have no complaints related to academics and opportunity to do research. I only wished the block exams were easier.

guilder2012
04-21-2012, 05:31 PM
For most of the US students, civilizations starts from NewYork and ends at LA. This school had ups and down.
Academic was never an issue. It was always related to ownership and management.

There is a change that is apparent here. Faculty, admin and students have a common goal. One can experience that by visiting the school and talking to the faculty. RT (Genetics), SC (Histology) , EE(Physio), SK (EPI), S (Pharm) have been teaching the subjects for the last 5/7 years. The new faculty for Anatomy, Neuro, Biochem, Micro, Path1 and Path2 had very high USMLE scores ( 95-99%). They relate these important subjects to the other subjects from the USMLE stand point. The level of block exams is same as USMLE.

I feel fortunate that I will end up with extremely strong background on Path and Pharm. I am also expecting high USMLE when I get to take them.

I am told that anyone can come and sit for the classes to see the quality of the education.

This school has always faced problems with a diploma mill university in the island.
That diploma mill university will always poach students who are looking for just a paper for USMLE.

Are there problems? yes there are. I consider those as minor problems. I have no complaints related to academics and opportunity to do research. I only wished the block exams were easier.

"dkbosedk" very well said.

bosek
05-19-2012, 07:20 PM
We will see now. As the blocks are approaching whiners will start posting negative news.

guilder2012
05-21-2012, 03:26 PM
"drdkbose" you are right. trolls have come out of woodwork

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.