PDA

View Full Version : Smu should close!!

zimdoctor
04-06-2012, 12:36 PM
People asking for truth? DO NOT COME HERE, us left are screwed! Used to be 50 students now only a dozen left. Smart ones got out! 2 MD4 classes have finished in last 1 1/2 yrs, only ONE passed USMLE. SMU do not have clinicals for him. Told him to find his own! We ask admin at SMU where there clinicals are, never any answers. Nobody can get transcripts! Nobody has transcrits! Nobody can get there legal docs. The admin always threaten us. They tell us if we leave they will be sure we never take USMLE. There all crooks. SMU did not give us grades from Dec. semester! We forced to come back in January to get them and were forced to sign paper saying we would not leave before we get our grades! Some of us are getting help to get out. Original lady PS screwed so many she not allowed back on island. So her husband (Dr. S) and other owner JB continue to screw us. Dr. S is not even a dr. We pray everyday that minister of education here closes them. They are a disgrace. You WILL lose your money if you come here and you WILL NOT ever get your doctor degree! All website is a lie. Most people on site fired long time ago. 6th dean was fired 3 weeks ago. He forbidden to talk to us for 2 years! Most teachers on site never been here. You have been WARNED!

Untel
04-07-2012, 04:49 PM
Hi Zimdoctor,
I feel your pain.
Picking a school with no state-accreditation is a risky business. It means cheaper fees and easy acceptance. However it means also the school has tighter budget and less service for you. Sure a cheaper school that can take us where we want to go (having the MD), but itís harder. What you save in tuition you pay it back some other way by travelling, uncertainty, lack of spot for rotation, waiting between rotations etc.

Being about to pick my school, itís hard to choose between a fully accredited school with a tuition of 100k, 175k or 250k or 60k. This is even harder to think that by paying very low tuition I still can get my MD. But your case reminds us that cheaper is not always better. Thank you for your post.

SMUFOM
04-09-2012, 02:55 PM
Value MD is a website that has fueled the false accusations and gossip concerning medical schools, by allowing its users complete anonymity. We all understand the concept behind the complete anonymity, but quite frankly it does not work!

Therefore, as an administrator of SMUFOM, I am forced to waste valuable time in responding to a post that is filled with false accusation, by simply stating the facts:

1. SMUFOM current enrollment is more than the alleged dozen stated by zimdoctor.
2. To Date: Only One student has his results from USMLE Step 1 and yes the student passed on the first sitting. SMU has placement for this student in clinical rotations and the other 6 transfer students that are currently in clinical rotations. (the statement “told him to find his own!” is just ludicrous)
3. Clinical sites are clearly communicated to “real” SMUFOM students, not the fake ones like zimdoctor and md201x that just joined Value MD in the past 40 days.
4. All students that are in good standing and have filled out the proper transcript request will and have received their official transcripts.
5. The administration informs students of the facts. If the student feels threatened by the truth that it is extremely difficult to get licensed in the United States if you have transferred medical schools two or more times.
6. “There [sic] all crooks” can’t spell and this is allegedly a future doctor????
7. “We [sic] forced to come back…and were forced to sign paper” Still can’t spell and alleging they were ‘forced” What a joke!
8. PS ****** ****** is allowed on the island, Dr. S is Dr. ****** ****** and I am JB, Jeff Bowman.
9. SMUFOM has students that are practicing medicine. In fact, SMUFOM just sent the paper work for a graduate to be licensed in the state of New York!
10. Disgrace, Blah, Blah. You will lose your money and never get your degree is again another false allegation. ALL website is a lie, another exaggeration, which is false. “6th dean was fired” another false allegation. BLAH, BLAH…

In closing, Value MD please allow all school administrators the opportunity and respect of deleting post that have more than once false accusation. Thank you for your consideration and we look forward to your response/action.

The Knowledge
04-09-2012, 11:06 PM
The original poster is right. This school really should be shut down.

I am back in the states now but I attended this joke of a school for a short while. It is true that nearly everything on their website is a lie.

* They list faculty that have never been to the school just to make up the numbers

* The OP is correct, they have NO clinical sites for students to rotate in after basic sciences (The one student they had that passed the USMLE has since transferred to another school.

* From what friends that are still there tell me, there are only 25-30 or so students in the entire school (MD 1 - MD 4)

* Most of the faculty that they do have lack any teaching experience (ie they have never taught before)

* Their intake for MD1 in January was 3 students only (That must be the worst intake in all of the Caribbean, maybe the world)

* Electricity is rationed because the owners are struggling to pay their bills

* As for the school owner JB that posted above, I ask any prospective student to visit the school before applying and you'll see that the OP and I are correct, and that St Martinus is maybe the worst medical school on earth (that sounds over the top i know) but sadly its true.

*Finally students are threatened and abused if they even think of leaving

The island of Curacao is beautiful and its people are friendly and welcoming but its a shame that they have such a school which destroys the reputation of the island and its people. All I can say is that I'm happy I got out of this mess of a school before It was too late. This school has to be the worst in the Caribbean and maybe the worst run school out there. Beware

soniaa
04-10-2012, 12:27 AM
I have noticed the Clinical tuition of this school is so much. Is unbelievbale, I hope students are placed in grade A+ teaching university hospitals. Not jackson park or 3rd party clinical rotations.

thxleave
04-10-2012, 03:14 AM
Value MD is a website that has fueled the false accusations and gossip concerning medical schools, by allowing its users complete anonymity. We all understand the concept behind the complete anonymity, but quite frankly it does not work!

Therefore, as an administrator of SMUFOM, I am forced to waste valuable time in responding to a post that is filled with false accusation, by simply stating the facts:

1. SMUFOM current enrollment is more than the alleged dozen stated by zimdoctor.
2. To Date: Only One student has his results from USMLE Step 1 and yes the student passed on the first sitting. SMU has placement for this student in clinical rotations and the other 6 transfer students that are currently in clinical rotations. (the statement “told him to find his own!” is just ludicrous)
3. Clinical sites are clearly communicated to “real” SMUFOM students, not the fake ones like zimdoctor and md201x that just joined Value MD in the past 40 days.
4. All students that are in good standing and have filled out the proper transcript request will and have received their official transcripts.
5. The administration informs students of the facts. If the student feels threatened by the truth that it is extremely difficult to get licensed in the United States if you have transferred medical schools two or more times.
6. “There [sic] all crooks” can’t spell and this is allegedly a future doctor????
7. “We [sic] forced to come back…and were forced to sign paper” Still can’t spell and alleging they were ‘forced” What a joke!
8. PS ****** ****** is allowed on the island, Dr. S is Dr. ****** ****** and I am JB, Jeff Bowman.
9. SMUFOM has students that are practicing medicine. In fact, SMUFOM just sent the paper work for a graduate to be licensed in the state of New York!
10. Disgrace, Blah, Blah. You will lose your money and never get your degree is again another false allegation. ALL website is a lie, another exaggeration, which is false. “6th dean was fired” another false allegation. BLAH, BLAH…

In closing, Value MD please allow all school administrators the opportunity and respect of deleting post that have more than once false accusation. Thank you for your consideration and we look forward to your response/action.

It's always nice to hear feedback from the administration clarifying about issues. Censorship of information in general is pretty bad and is akin to the novels you read on Brave New World, 1984, and Fahrenheit 451. It's discerning though that there are far more complaints on the forum section of SMU then clarification or even defense. Other forums for the different Caribbean medical schools may have complaints, but most of the more reputable schools have students jump to defense of the school. So far on the SMU there have been less then a handful of students willing to defend the school, but a plethora amount willing to denounce the school.

If SMU really wants to cease these complaints, it is more productive to handle the problem and not the symptoms. IE - Fix the complaints the school is receiving, instead of trying to censor information the forum. Regardless thanks for adding your point of view to this discussion, and attempting to clarify the issue at hand.

The Man
04-10-2012, 06:31 AM
My brother just left this school and I can confirm that everything the thread starter and The Knowledge said is correct. I know how schools in the caribbean are, so complaints are usual and are normally from failing students. But in the case of Martinus it is the school that is failing, not the students and the administration have no right to come here lie and even try to delete a truthful and valid post.

I thought my school was bad and I've compared others on VMD but Martinus is bottom of the barrel, there really is nothing good to say about this school. It is a sinking ship

SMUFOM
04-10-2012, 09:04 AM
It is interesting how people continue to post false accusations, but don't have the guts to use their real names (could it be because there are libel laws that would prevent them from posting such lies).

The knowledge are you alleging that you are a current or former student, as your facts are completely false, but then again you don't have the guts to state your name, just hiding behind anonymity.

thxleave If SMUFOM was getting complaints from their real students then they could and would be addressed, but that is not the case here.

The man- who is your brother?

I understand that SMUFOM has a difficult medical program and most of the students that have left the school will not pass the USMLE Step 1, but to make up false accusations in an attempt at revenge and hiding behind anonymity is way worse than censorship.

St. George and St. Martinus are the two Caribbean Medical Schools that have a two semester per year semester and both have a first time pass rate in the mid-90 percentile for the USLME Step 1. Statistics also show that all other Caribbean Medical schools have three semesters and average less than 80% pass of the USMLE Step 1.

I challenge all the previous posters to stop hiding behind anonymity and simply state who you. Unfortunately, I know that no one will as writing this type of false information is illegal and each one of you would be libel.

The Man
04-10-2012, 09:51 AM
I do not need to show my name as this is a forum and I do not go around broadcasting my personal details like you do. I have been on ValueMD for years unlike you.

Please stop lying and tell people the truth. If anybody reading this doubts me ask current students that are there, or even better go over to the school and you will see that everything we say is 100% fact.

You can broadcast your name as much as you want to try and make things look right, but eventually people will see the truth. There is only so long you guys can go on lying and deceiving people.

It is schools like St Martinus that give all other Caribbean schools and students a bad name. As the original poster said I hope the Curacao Ministry of education close them down asap. In fact the school would be banned by all medical boards if they ever made a visit

It is interesting how people continue to post false accusations, but don't have the guts to use their real names (could it be because there are libel laws that would prevent them from posting such lies).

The knowledge are you alleging that you are a current or former student, as your facts are completely false, but then again you don't have the guts to state your name, just hiding behind anonymity.

thxleave If SMUFOM was getting complaints from their real students then they could and would be addressed, but that is not the case here.

The man- who is your brother?

I understand that SMUFOM has a difficult medical program and most of the students that have left the school will not pass the USMLE Step 1, but to make up false accusations in an attempt at revenge and hiding behind anonymity is way worse than censorship.

St. George and St. Martinus are the two Caribbean Medical Schools that have a two semester per year semester and both have a first time pass rate in the mid-90 percentile for the USLME Step 1. Statistics also show that all other Caribbean Medical schools have three semesters and average less than 80% pass of the USMLE Step 1.

I challenge all the previous posters to stop hiding behind anonymity and simply state who you. Unfortunately, I know that no one will as writing this type of false information is illegal and each one of you would be libel.

SMUFOM
04-10-2012, 10:11 AM
Response to The Man, I understand that you do not want to show your name as it would open the door for a libel lawsuit, since you continue to post false accusations and it is interesting that you note that you have been on Value MD for years, why is that? Are you just a blogger? Perhaps administration for another school?

Please do continue to encourage students to ask current students what is going on and we always welcome students and families to visit the school!

sunnydoc
04-10-2012, 02:25 PM
Hello All,

Let me first post, I do not work for any med school, I am a student with years of business/technology experience and have decided to embark on the journey of studying medicine. Anything I post that is negative will backed up with facts and sources. I will not respond to attacks and finger pointing so do not waste your time with such post. I am not beating up on any institution I am posting my experiences done from my research. I personally think we are all adults and you can spend your time and money where you want to. But I am tired of reading false crap on VMD.

First, I am a transfer student to SMU from another Caribbean school. I will not name this school because it is not relevant but I will say this, the owner of CMU was an employee of my last school not Owner "Employee" Computer Technician or something like that so the claims he has made about being a owner of other medical schools is false. You can easily find this information by pulling the Incorporation documents from the state the school is operating from. An owner that is receiving stock from a company is listed in the operational agreement, corp docs by laws or some type of public record. If they are not listed they have no legal right to ownership. If I invested in a company I would want my name in bright red letters. IJS

I looked into CMU when I was making my decision of what school to attend. I will say that on paper CMU looks great. They have the IMED, WHO recognition. Great pictures on there website. Which btw is a knockoff St George's site which was also to be the AGU site but after a falling out and the CMU owner being terminated he used it as his own (Internet Archive: Wayback Machine (http://www.waybackmachine.org)) you can see the complete history of this website in the making. A lot of website designers use templates but it is not a good practice to use copyright material in your site. CMU provides student loans (bonus) they also provide housing (big bonus) they also are in a nice facility the WTC. Ok this is all good but upon digging a little it seem to me to be a big house of cards. Again this in my opinion, which was made from taking a cruise and visiting every single school, I was interested in attending, I showed up unannounced walked into the campus and there was no representation to be found at the WTC. Just dark classrooms. At every other school, there was someone to give me a tour and answer most of my questions. Also I did this in Oct so school was in session.

When I was doing my research I started first from the angle of business, then I looked at the quality of education. Without solid business experience most businesses will fail, without a business there is no school. To have a real company there has to be some assets involved money, loans, investors etc. etc. But the one thing that really through me off was there were no Labs at the WTC. (At least from what I saw). What I found was CMU was rented space in the WTC (which is not bad) Student housing was another person’s assets (meaning the school has nothing to do with it). This created a few red flags for me I am looking at medical school, where is the labs. From the outside looking in the owner of this has nothing to loose if it goes under everything has been paid for upfront by students so as a businessperson it seems that there is "no skin in the game". Now the argument will be this is good business-keeping expenses low etc. etc. But in my experience of dealing with fraud and con men, they keep everything light so when its time to move they can move very quickly. I am not calling CMU owner a con man or the school a scam, I am just stating the facts that I have. I want to know when I pay my hard earned dollars for tuition that this school will be here in 15-20 years. I did find a student that attended and left very quickly once another schools administration came in and said that CMU was not affiliated with them as it was stated by CMU website. There is also some court documents online for trademark or copyright infringement fraudulent use. There are all kind of stories out on the net about CMU/AGU owner/s and dealings but at the end of the day its all rumor, so I will not give it anytime as it is not relevant for this post.

When meeting with the owner of SMU, I was greeted very professionally I looked at there campus (Which is rented) but it is more then 2 rooms. I researched the owners, which are successful businessmen they do not have the appearance of living pay check to pay check. The reputation of their other ventures is very solid. They do not offer student housing (Bummer) but they did assist me in finding a place within the budget I had. They also offer a student loan/deferment (Big Plus), which brings me to this point. If I am a student and I give you a loan, and I transfer to a competing business, before I release a transcript you have to make good on your loan that I gave you, the only asset I have as a business is your transcript. So you can stiff me for the money and start over or you can pay your bills and leave freely. This is basic business. When I graduated from my American program I had a $10.00 parking ticket, guess what, transcripts were held until it was paid. So the complaint about transcripts being held my question would be, Do You Owe Money?

Now as a student I understand the importance of clinical rotations I have asked SMU point blank about clinical rotations and have been provided the answer of yes they have clinical rotations. I am not at this point in my education, so for me I will accept their answer that they do have clinical rotations available. I would have to believe as businessmen they have there i's and t's dotted and crossed. From my research on clinical rotation Most smaller schools will have 1 or 2 locations on contract these contracts are not free there is a weekly cost in most hospitals for us to get this required experience. So most small carib schools have limited contracts, but they will work with a third party company that has secured positions and pay them the weekly fee. So for example if I want to do a rotation in Michigan and my school has no affiliation my school can go to a contract agency and get me placed there. Again very basic business. So for the claim that SMU has no clinical rotations again is an assumption or rumor with no facts to back it.

To address the comment about website having fake professors etc. etc. Most Carib schools keep the rotating adjunct on their site its common practice and CMU does it also along with well everyone. I will say this; the Profs that I have experienced at SMU know their medicine. Remember I am a transfer student and have other experiences SMU by far crushes what I was coming from. The thing I have learned from carib schools is you get out what you put in. Certain schools push you harder which means you will get a little more out then just passing classes. Remember for the US students passing Step 1 and passing well is our goal.

The challenge I ask to any CMU student. Locate a student that started day 1 at CMU and went through CMU's basic program, the question are 1. Have you taking step 1 2. Did you pass 3.How many times have you taking the test? I tried to find one student that has started from day 1 and stepped and got no response. It doesn't matter what a MD 4 transfer tells me cause all the knowledge you have is from another institution. The other question is do you have any residents. Again I have found none. I goggled CMU (Spelled the complete name of school) residents. Which would return a list of hospitals that have pictures name and school of the resident. Again nothing came up. When I do the same for SMUFOM I get positive responses back (and before you say that was the old regime let me stop you the charter has not been restarted so in the hospitals eyes its the same).

In closing if you have a problem with a business matter of SMU pick up your phone and call them. I am positive that you would be treated respectfully and have an answer to your issues. Using value MD to slander or try to hurt an institution is not the intent of the site. Sorry for my rambling but I am so tired of these petty attacks to try to recruit potential students to your house of cards. At the end of the day we invest our money and time to become doctors. In my opinion a medical school that has not produced any residents or doctors in the USA is not worth my time or money to attend. You as a incoming student need to do your own research and find the school that fits your budget, time requirements and education needs. Do not base your decision on ValueMD post and or internet search. Remember that Caribbean medical school is a business first, it is not like college at home they are administrated by business people. So the goal for me was to find an institution that was owned by ethical and sound business people, an institution that cares about my education and about me becoming a practicing doctor in the United States not just my tuition dollars. So far my experience with SMU has been nothing but pleasant. I do not feel bullied, I feel like I am getting the education that I am paying for and everything that I have been told has been solid, and any issues that I have I have picked up the phone and contacted the proper person and issues were resolved very quickly and in a professional matter.

thxleave
04-10-2012, 05:11 PM
Haha.... finally input from a student that used proper grammar, with a coherent sentence structure. Though some of your points still feel like it's lacking any solid proof. You haven't reached clinicals yet, and you heard they have clinical from the school. Of course the school is going to say they are stable and have clinical. To be fair you are comparing SMU against CMU, which isn't much of a comparison. Why don't you try comparing SMU against Ross, AUC, or SGU? If that's not fair, try SMU against SABA or AUA? If that's not fair again try comparing SMU against UMHS. Even UMHS publicly published their clerkship information with pictures of their students doing their rotation. UMHS even publish data on the students that get residency, and where they are at.

With all those comparisons, you gotta admit SMU doesn't look as pretty as you paint it based on the information provided on ValueMD. I would say ValueMD would be more accurate then calling the school, because the school has an inherent bias to make their school look positive. While students will post about the Pros and Cons of their school. If a school is average then, under basic math, they will at least have 50% positive and 50% negative feedback on ValueMD.

I agree though to a certain extent that ValueMD alone isn't enough for research. Definitely call the school to supplement your information, and talk to students from the school (which ValueMD is supposed to be used for). I do enjoy reading your feedback sunnydoc, and feel it definitely clarifies some of the misconceptions a lot of students are posting. I just don't agree with trying to use CMU as a comparison to try to legitimatize SMU. More then 75% of your post is just complaining about CMU, and then saying look SMU doesn't do that so it must be a great school. It's a flawed logical arguement. You haven't addressed the amount of students that go there, USMLE pass rate, students YOU know that are in rotation, and people that have gotten residency.

sunnydoc
04-10-2012, 06:18 PM
Thxleave,

I am using CMU because the slanderous post that started this thread was posted by a CMU admin or a CMU student. Its a trend they have with trying to steal potential students. So the comparison is not with CMU it is with my experience in dealing with the administration from each institution. As far as numbers go, I have asked SMU USMLE pass rate and they were very quick to tell me the stats. Now to date there not a lot of test takers but so far everyone that has taking step 1 has passed, first time. As far as clinical rotations go, I feel very comfortable with the answer I was giving and I trust that any SMU student that is needing clinical rotations will get them but first thing is first, you need to pass step 1. So if buy a slim chance that I pass step 1 and I cannot get a green book clinical rotation with SMU then I would absolutely look for a new school. There are 53 or so that are willing to take a step 1 passer and place them directly in a clinical spot. But again I go back to I do not think this will be an issue. Now to your comparison of SMU to Ross,Georges etc etc. Those institutions have been in business for awhile, those institutions also except FAFSA and OSAP which gives them the student body 200-300 per class. For business this is very good. I assure you those schools have and had issues also. I do not have the documentation to bring there issues up, but I will say that when I spoke to there students on my tour my eyes were opened to a lot of tricks these schools/businesses play. SMU will legitimize itself by the administration doing what is best for the school/student not what is best for there pockets. So far as I stated before they are very transparent and communicate well with the student body. I cannot speak for the past, I was not here I can only tell you from the day I arrived forward. Additionally I was not creating the argument of my school is better then yours, I was giving my experience. I personally do not get into the game of my school is better then yours because it is very subjective to what your version of better is. I can say from the experience I had at my last school to the experience I am having now it is night and day. So in my world SMU is doing right.

I will also ask the school if they will post there graduates/residents I think that is a fair request. As I stated before you can google SMU residents and you will see from a third party hospital website SMU graduates completing there residency and from the news we have received we have 2 new fully licensed doctors that graduated from SMU's program one being in NY. This number isn't massive but at the end of the day SMU is producing physicians, not just a dream.

I am not a propaganda machine for SMU and totally understand how students can feel when they are giving information that is not accurate, as I was one of those students so I understand how it feels. I was sold a dream and what I got was a nightmare from my old school, I was just lucky enough to wake up, get out of bed take a shower and get back to work of achieving my goal of becoming a physician.

sunnydoc
04-10-2012, 07:24 PM
You are correct you do get what you pay for. But not everyone has mom and dad to pay for school. Sometimes you have to make a decision based on finances. Carib schools are a great option if you understand the risk. I hope you get into a US program and succeed with your goal of becoming a doc. BTW there are only a handful of real bad schools, I am proud to SMUFOM is not one of them. And I have high standards when I am spending my savings to go to school.

soniaa
04-11-2012, 12:06 AM
People asking for truth? DO NOT COME HERE, us left are screwed! Used to be 50 students now only a dozen left. Smart ones got out! 2 MD4 classes have finished in last 1 1/2 yrs, only ONE passed USMLE. SMU do not have clinicals for him. Told him to find his own! We ask admin at SMU where there clinicals are, never any answers. Nobody can get transcripts! Nobody has transcrits! Nobody can get there legal docs. The admin always threaten us. They tell us if we leave they will be sure we never take USMLE. There all crooks. SMU did not give us grades from Dec. semester! We forced to come back in January to get them and were forced to sign paper saying we would not leave before we get our grades! Some of us are getting help to get out. Original lady PS screwed so many she not allowed back on island. So her husband (Dr. S) and other owner JB continue to screw us. Dr. S is not even a dr. We pray everyday that minister of education here closes them. They are a disgrace. You WILL lose your money if you come here and you WILL NOT ever get your doctor degree! All website is a lie. Most people on site fired long time ago. 6th dean was fired 3 weeks ago. He forbidden to talk to us for 2 years! Most teachers on site never been here. You have been WARNED!

So is anyone practicing on the Island.

soniaa
04-11-2012, 12:07 AM
Hello All,

Let me first post, I do not work for any med school, I am a student with years of business/technology experience and have decided to embark on the journey of studying medicine. Anything I post that is negative will backed up with facts and sources. I will not respond to attacks and finger pointing so do not waste your time with such post. I am not beating up on any institution I am posting my experiences done from my research. I personally think we are all adults and you can spend your time and money where you want to. But I am tired of reading false crap on VMD.

First, I am a transfer student to SMU from another Caribbean school. I will not name this school because it is not relevant but I will say this, the owner of CMU was an employee of my last school not Owner "Employee" Computer Technician or something like that so the claims he has made about being a owner of other medical schools is false. You can easily find this information by pulling the Incorporation documents from the state the school is operating from. An owner that is receiving stock from a company is listed in the operational agreement, corp docs by laws or some type of public record. If they are not listed they have no legal right to ownership. If I invested in a company I would want my name in bright red letters. IJS

I looked into CMU when I was making my decision of what school to attend. I will say that on paper CMU looks great. They have the IMED, WHO recognition. Great pictures on there website. Which btw is a knockoff St George's site which was also to be the AGU site but after a falling out and the CMU owner being terminated he used it as his own (Internet Archive: Wayback Machine (http://www.waybackmachine.org)) you can see the complete history of this website in the making. A lot of website designers use templates but it is not a good practice to use copyright material in your site. CMU provides student loans (bonus) they also provide housing (big bonus) they also are in a nice facility the WTC. Ok this is all good but upon digging a little it seem to me to be a big house of cards. Again this in my opinion, which was made from taking a cruise and visiting every single school, I was interested in attending, I showed up unannounced walked into the campus and there was no representation to be found at the WTC. Just dark classrooms. At every other school, there was someone to give me a tour and answer most of my questions. Also I did this in Oct so school was in session.

When I was doing my research I started first from the angle of business, then I looked at the quality of education. Without solid business experience most businesses will fail, without a business there is no school. To have a real company there has to be some assets involved money, loans, investors etc. etc. But the one thing that really through me off was there were no Labs at the WTC. (At least from what I saw). What I found was CMU was rented space in the WTC (which is not bad) Student housing was another person’s assets (meaning the school has nothing to do with it). This created a few red flags for me I am looking at medical school, where is the labs. From the outside looking in the owner of this has nothing to loose if it goes under everything has been paid for upfront by students so as a businessperson it seems that there is "no skin in the game". Now the argument will be this is good business-keeping expenses low etc. etc. But in my experience of dealing with fraud and con men, they keep everything light so when its time to move they can move very quickly. I am not calling CMU owner a con man or the school a scam, I am just stating the facts that I have. I want to know when I pay my hard earned dollars for tuition that this school will be here in 15-20 years. I did find a student that attended and left very quickly once another schools administration came in and said that CMU was not affiliated with them as it was stated by CMU website. There is also some court documents online for trademark or copyright infringement fraudulent use. There are all kind of stories out on the net about CMU/AGU owner/s and dealings but at the end of the day its all rumor, so I will not give it anytime as it is not relevant for this post.

When meeting with the owner of SMU, I was greeted very professionally I looked at there campus (Which is rented) but it is more then 2 rooms. I researched the owners, which are successful businessmen they do not have the appearance of living pay check to pay check. The reputation of their other ventures is very solid. They do not offer student housing (Bummer) but they did assist me in finding a place within the budget I had. They also offer a student loan/deferment (Big Plus), which brings me to this point. If I am a student and I give you a loan, and I transfer to a competing business, before I release a transcript you have to make good on your loan that I gave you, the only asset I have as a business is your transcript. So you can stiff me for the money and start over or you can pay your bills and leave freely. This is basic business. When I graduated from my American program I had a $10.00 parking ticket, guess what, transcripts were held until it was paid. So the complaint about transcripts being held my question would be, Do You Owe Money?

Now as a student I understand the importance of clinical rotations I have asked SMU point blank about clinical rotations and have been provided the answer of yes they have clinical rotations. I am not at this point in my education, so for me I will accept their answer that they do have clinical rotations available. I would have to believe as businessmen they have there i's and t's dotted and crossed. From my research on clinical rotation Most smaller schools will have 1 or 2 locations on contract these contracts are not free there is a weekly cost in most hospitals for us to get this required experience. So most small carib schools have limited contracts, but they will work with a third party company that has secured positions and pay them the weekly fee. So for example if I want to do a rotation in Michigan and my school has no affiliation my school can go to a contract agency and get me placed there. Again very basic business. So for the claim that SMU has no clinical rotations again is an assumption or rumor with no facts to back it.

To address the comment about website having fake professors etc. etc. Most Carib schools keep the rotating adjunct on their site its common practice and CMU does it also along with well everyone. I will say this; the Profs that I have experienced at SMU know their medicine. Remember I am a transfer student and have other experiences SMU by far crushes what I was coming from. The thing I have learned from carib schools is you get out what you put in. Certain schools push you harder which means you will get a little more out then just passing classes. Remember for the US students passing Step 1 and passing well is our goal.

The challenge I ask to any CMU student. Locate a student that started day 1 at CMU and went through CMU's basic program, the question are 1. Have you taking step 1 2. Did you pass 3.How many times have you taking the test? I tried to find one student that has started from day 1 and stepped and got no response. It doesn't matter what a MD 4 transfer tells me cause all the knowledge you have is from another institution. The other question is do you have any residents. Again I have found none. I goggled CMU (Spelled the complete name of school) residents. Which would return a list of hospitals that have pictures name and school of the resident. Again nothing came up. When I do the same for SMUFOM I get positive responses back (and before you say that was the old regime let me stop you the charter has not been restarted so in the hospitals eyes its the same).

In closing if you have a problem with a business matter of SMU pick up your phone and call them. I am positive that you would be treated respectfully and have an answer to your issues. Using value MD to slander or try to hurt an institution is not the intent of the site. Sorry for my rambling but I am so tired of these petty attacks to try to recruit potential students to your house of cards. At the end of the day we invest our money and time to become doctors. In my opinion a medical school that has not produced any residents or doctors in the USA is not worth my time or money to attend. You as a incoming student need to do your own research and find the school that fits your budget, time requirements and education needs. Do not base your decision on ValueMD post and or internet search. Remember that Caribbean medical school is a business first, it is not like college at home they are administrated by business people. So the goal for me was to find an institution that was owned by ethical and sound business people, an institution that cares about my education and about me becoming a practicing doctor in the United States not just my tuition dollars. So far my experience with SMU has been nothing but pleasant. I do not feel bullied, I feel like I am getting the education that I am paying for and everything that I have been told has been solid, and any issues that I have I have picked up the phone and contacted the proper person and issues were resolved very quickly and in a professional matter.

WOOOW please update in couple of years or sooner if you transfer out to Windsor or St.Eustacia

The Knowledge
04-11-2012, 01:56 AM
This school was supposedly founded in 2000-2002 which makes it older than UMHS, AUA and others

BUT

* I know that there are only 20 or so students on campus (every student and member of faculty can deny this all they want, but they know I'm telling the truth)

* Students are afraid and trying to leave (if your school could only attract 3 new MD1's wouldn't you want to leave)

* They actually have gone through 6 deans since January 2011 (right now they have a 26 year old that has never practiced medicine and has little to no teaching experience as their dean).

* The charter of the school is tied to the building (this means that the owners of the school can only keep the school running as long as they can pay the rent) this is really bad because the building is still owned by the old owner of the school who ran the school so badly that it closed down briefly 2 years ago

* The most recent white coat pictures on their website are deceiving, only 3 of those students are actual first semesters, the the rest are upperclassmen that were forced to make up the numbers.

* They are so desperate and have sunk so low as to threaten students that left the school with legal action because they chose to transfer to another school.

These are just a few of the things that this school hides. As one of the earlier posters said, this school is as bad as it gets. I can bet money that most of the people defending this school such as sunnydoc will be transferring in a few months when they find themselves in an empty classroom being taught by a student.

Worst of all is that their tuition is around $8,000 :confused:

sunnydoc
04-11-2012, 07:57 AM
Knowledge,

Again, at this time I have no issues with the school. We have more then 20 students. I do not know of any students that are afraid and trying to leave. Actually its the opposite everyone seems very happy. The 6 Dean comment makes absolutely no sense and is not relevant for me to become a Doctor. I have never heard of or been threaten with legal action if I decide to leave. I will say this, it has been put out according to ECFMG a student with more then 2 transfers in basic sciences will not get ECFMG certified. I have not read the regulation yet but I am sure there is truth to it since I have heard it from multiple sources at different schools. And you are correct if I was paying 8,000 dollars to be taught by students I would look at other options. But the truth is, I am not. I am being taught by competent MD's, and I feel very confident that the education I am receiving will assist me in obtaining my goal of practicing medicine in the U.S...

Knowledge what school do you go to.

sunnydoc
04-11-2012, 08:00 AM
WOOOW please update in couple of years or sooner if you transfer out to Windsor or St.Eustacia

Soniaa,

Windsor is not an option, that would be taking steps backwards IMO. St E, Good school. But as I stated I plan on staying were I am at. Congrats on your IM residency. Which program did you go through.

Yourallabunchofnerds
04-11-2012, 12:45 PM
Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to add my two cents. As a current student of St. Martinus, I have undergone 3 semesters here, arriving as a transfer student from UMHS as a MD2. The reasons why I had left UMHS was on the personal decision to have a 2 semester curriculum, which took much thought, for transferring is such a risky choice, especially within the Caribbean school system. When I arrived to SMU, they were in the process of rebuilding the school and to be honest, had many obstacles. The one aspect that kept me motivated, was the fact that many of the original teachers that had previously taught here returned, and these teachers are all professionals on the island, physicians with much respect and highly esteemed. Secondly, as students, we were always well informed of the workings going on to make the school a success in the future, and we all knew it would take much time and patience. The administration, those as Dr. ****** and Jeff Bowman, have always been up front and honest with us. That is one thing that earns my respect, honesty. I am not a child, nor not have any experience with the world, I can tell when someone is trying to get over on me, and while being here, I feel comfortable, happy, because these people do care for us. Now as a MD4, I can honestly say, I have very happy with my choice. I have learned a great deal, by good doctors and great educators.

Face it, we all know you start a school for business reasons, but good business is successful business. And long-term success takes time, patience, faith, a positive attitude and passion. Hearing such remarks about my school on here really makes me upset, I take a lot of pride in my education and my school and it is very disheartening to see what people would do on this site to try to discredit others.

My education is essential to me, for I come from a family that has always taken pride in their work, coming from very little money but from much love and pride in the work we do. (I am not spoon fed, or riding off of wealth, I worked 7 years as UPS driver to pay off my undergrad loans and save money for this move, I have more then just my life is on the line here, but those of my hard working family). Again, I am happy with my education, and that is what I am paying for. Everything that sunnydoc has stated about SMU is very accurate, and this statement coming from a student that has been here for 1 1/2 years, should mean a lot. Our student numbers are low, many have transferred due to fear and speculations, thanks to the bitter words of those that may have not gotten their way while they were here. Those that are left, are not idiots, and if anyone claims that we are, please come and contact any one of us, we are more then happy to squash any such rumors, and rumors in general. I am very proud of the friends I have here, they are very intelligent, and I am blessed to have them as my peers.

Most individuals that have decided to leave the school were not doing well, with a few exceptions. Some transferred two months within the start of this semester, but still graduated with their new schools class, which was much sooner then our date of graduation, making A's. SMU is very challenging, trust me, I curse every block exam. But when I do sample NBME exams and UWORLD questions, I do very well on them and they do seem like a cake walk. Isn't that why we are here, to be as challenged as possible, so when the time comes to sit for the Step, we are well prepared and is just revisiting a familiar friend. Basically, you don't get trained to be a fighter in a day care center, so why would you want to go to a school that spoon feeds you A's as some schools do in the Caribbean, just to get your *** kicked in the step?

Sorry for the lengthy thread, but I really want people to know the perspective of a current student. My name is Wayne, am not getting "paid" to do this haha nor am I trying to discredit anyone, as if you were alive throughout this you would have noticed. I am just trying to shed some personal experience into the plethora of garbage that I have stumbled upon while looking for some information on international practice. I would not have written all of this and ignored Dr. Keli's epi class to write this if I wasn't upset about such lies and crap concerning my school and peers. If you have such bad remarks, take it up with admin, or come back and claim what is right to you, whatever it is, stop polluting peoples minds and making my school look so damn horrible, because when you talk about my school, your talking about me, and thats personal.

If anyone who is concerned with these matters needs some clarification, no matter if your interested in the school, or just concerned with such things, send me a message. I am sure if more of my classmates heard about this, they would be upset as well, but I am not going to bother them with this, for they're already going crazy studying for blocks... Hope all can be reasonable one day with those scorned. Take care all and no matter what school your in, learn your shit dorks! I don't want you's killing my grandma when your treating her gout.

peace

JackPott
04-11-2012, 01:14 PM
Hell everyone, I just created my account today b/c I feel like there should solid be some solid clarifications that needs to be addressed from a students point of view.
1. SMU does have issues, but which carib school doesn't? Trust me, I have been very frustrated with some issues in the past. BUT, this school has a strong academic foundation with some great professors.

2. Our school is very difficult (academically), it's not for the weak. Most students that are complaining about smu, are more than likely the once's that have failed out (or did poorly). And More than likely those students have transferred to CMU (another school on the island) where high hopes and dreams of becoming a doctor are being sold on a silver platter no matter how many transfers you have on your transcripts (they will make you a new one) or how many failed attempts you may have with previous medical schools...they will make you a winner!!!!

3. Clinical's are there, no matter what people say. I have seen the contracts.

4. My friends who are getting prepared to take the step exam from SMU have their transcripts. No problem there.

5. Our classes are HARD..but they are taught properly and up to standard.. if you can't conceptualize you won't pass (especially in Pathology).. we had a few MD4 transfer to CMU in the middle of the semester due to this exact reason.

6. Not many students defend these forums because we are too busy studying.. we simply don't have the time.

7. To any prospective/concerned student, pay no mind to the critics (they simply couldn't cut it here).

sheong
04-11-2012, 01:36 PM
Iím astonished to see that some random person using a fake ID is writing complete bullshit about my school. Iím a final year student at SMU, for everyoneís kind knowledge I would like to inform that there are 14 students in my batch & all of us have passed USMLE Step 1 in first attempt & at present are rotating in Internal Medicine rotation in Arizona.
I consider myself blessed to be a part of such an institute where you are treated like a family. Yes, there were students from my batch who did take transfer from SMU, but today they regret their decision. Even I wasnít issued a basic science transcript as my fee was still pending with SMU. Once I cleared all my dues I was handed overall my grades. I think this is inevitable coz no one is running a Charity in Caribbean. There are schools that accept transferred students & issue them fake transcripts. I also transferred from UHMS, St.Kitts & had an option of getting fake Basic science transcript but I think I did make a wise decision by choosing SMU.
They have one of the best Faculties at their institute; everyone is highly qualified & has score highly in their USMLE exams. Most of the Faculty members have double Masterís Degree. I am really not sure why people are spreading rumors about the school. Looks like Value MD has become the best platform to talk bullshit & kill time.
Iím sorry to say but Iím disheartened & feel disgraced by reading such posts. How can people like Zimdoctor become good professionals if they have cheap mentality. Also Zimdoctor if you need any more clarification about my school, please feel free to contact me.

thxleave
04-11-2012, 03:17 PM
I’m astonished to see that some random person using a fake ID is writing complete bullshit about my school. I’m a final year student at SMU, for everyone’s kind knowledge I would like to inform that there are 14 students in my batch & all of us have passed USMLE Step 1 in first attempt & at present are rotating in Internal Medicine rotation in Arizona.
I consider myself blessed to be a part of such an institute where you are treated like a family. Yes, there were students from my batch who did take transfer from SMU, but today they regret their decision. Even I wasn’t issued a basic science transcript as my fee was still pending with SMU. Once I cleared all my dues I was handed overall my grades. I think this is inevitable coz no one is running a Charity in Caribbean. There are schools that accept transferred students & issue them fake transcripts. I also transferred from UHMS, St.Kitts & had an option of getting fake Basic science transcript but I think I did make a wise decision by choosing SMU.
They have one of the best Faculties at their institute; everyone is highly qualified & has score highly in their USMLE exams. Most of the Faculty members have double Master’s Degree. I am really not sure why people are spreading rumors about the school. Looks like Value MD has become the best platform to talk bullshit & kill time.
I’m sorry to say but I’m disheartened & feel disgraced by reading such posts. How can people like Zimdoctor become good professionals if they have cheap mentality. Also Zimdoctor if you need any more clarification about my school, please feel free to contact me.

Can you clarify that for me please? Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't St. Martinus Medical School shut down around 2009, and reopened recently? The previous owner was arrested for insurance fraud, so St. Martinus Medical school reopened under new management briefly. When it reopened, it went under again for unknown reason. We now have the current St. Martinus Medical school which opened in 2010.

That would imply the medical school has only been around for two years. That would mean not a lot of people that matriculated in St. Martinus Medical School would have taken the Steps yet. The people you know that have took and passed the Step 1 are transfer students. Am I correct? Even one of the staff members for St. Martinus Medical school earlier, mention only 1 person has taken Step 1 this year and passed so far.

thxleave
04-11-2012, 03:20 PM
Here's where I got the information that the St. Martinus Medical School shut down and reopened in 2010:

http://www.valuemd.com/st-martinus-medical-school/204666-fishy-managment.html

onehope
04-11-2012, 04:42 PM
This school has closed before and it will close again, its just a matter of when. The school is gaining a very bad reputation and people are starting to take notice.

The truth is:

A handful (5-10) of MD1 students have joined the school in the past one and a half years. Instead of trying to attract US/Canadian/Caribbean students they choose to only set up their admissions fairs in India:crazy: Which one is the easier sell?

Students pay $8000+ in tuition for substandard facilities and tuition (heck at least Windsor and many others have the sense to charge half the amount)

As of now the school has no clinical affiliations or agreements with hospitals in the United States. Maybe they will look for rotations in India?

The school operates unethical policies such as the one they have put in place that prevents their students from transferring if they want to.

Students that do leave are harassed and threatened.

thxleave
04-11-2012, 05:01 PM
This school has closed before and it will close again, its just a matter of when. The school is gaining a very bad reputation and people are starting to take notice.

The truth is:

A handful (5-10) of MD1 students have joined the school in the past one and a half years. Instead of trying to attract US/Canadian/Caribbean students they choose to only set up their admissions fairs in India:crazy: Which one is the easier sell?

Students pay $8000+ in tuition for substandard facilities and tuition (heck at least Windsor and many others have the sense to charge half the amount)

As of now the school has no clinical affiliations or agreements with hospitals in the United States. Maybe they will look for rotations in India?

The school operates unethical policies such as the one they have put in place that prevents their students from transferring if they want to.

Were you a former student? I notice in your old posts you were deciding between UMHS vs SMU.

soniaa
04-11-2012, 05:41 PM

The truth is:

This school uses the same 3rd party clinical rotations as many other schools like All Saints, Windsor, Avalon, and all the low tier school company Like MHC, AICG.....and so on.

All Saints Lies to Michigan Board about their student doing clinical rotations in real hospitals so students can get residency license. Windsor does not , but has started to lie to IL board

I am personally sending out emails tonight to MI, IL and NY board. About all these schools

Doctor Ali
04-11-2012, 06:00 PM
Hell everyone, I just created my account today b/c I feel like there should solid be some solid clarifications that needs to be addressed from a students point of view.
1. SMU does have issues, but which carib school doesn't? Trust me, I have been very frustrated with some issues in the past. BUT, this school has a strong academic foundation with some great professors.

2. Our school is very difficult (academically), it's not for the weak. Most students that are complaining about smu, are more than likely the once's that have failed out (or did poorly). And More than likely those students have transferred to CMU (another school on the island) where high hopes and dreams of becoming a doctor are being sold on a silver platter no matter how many transfers you have on your transcripts (they will make you a new one) or how many failed attempts you may have with previous medical schools...they will make you a winner!!!!

3. Clinical's are there, no matter what people say. I have seen the contracts.

4. My friends who are getting prepared to take the step exam from SMU have their transcripts. No problem there.

5. Our classes are HARD..but they are taught properly and up to standard.. if you can't conceptualize you won't pass (especially in Pathology).. we had a few MD4 transfer to CMU in the middle of the semester due to this exact reason.

6. Not many students defend these forums because we are too busy studying.. we simply don't have the time.

7. To any prospective/concerned student, pay no mind to the critics (they simply couldn't cut it here).

I agree. Most students complain alot because they fail the course and then blame on the school. This is everywhere.

thxleave
04-11-2012, 06:18 PM
This school uses the same 3rd party clinical rotations as many other schools like All Saints, Windsor, Avalon, and all the low tier school company Like MHC, AICG.....and so on.

All Saints Lies to Michigan Board about their student doing clinical rotations in real hospitals so students can get residency license. Windsor does not , but has started to lie to IL board

I am personally sending out emails tonight to MI, IL and NY board. About all these schools

Great job! Personally, I think there must be more accountability among all these offshore schools.

thxleave
04-11-2012, 06:34 PM
I agree. Most students complain alot because they fail the course and then blame on the school. This is everywhere.

True, but so far the complaints aren't really about the course load. It's really been about quality of clinical and pricing, and amount of students currently attending SMU. The detractors of the school are concerned about if history will repeat and campus will shut down. Supporters are making countering arguemnt that academics are solid, and the numbers detractors provide is wrong; Detractors are also being painted as CMU spies, and competition that will slander the school.

A very interesting conversation between the group, and really so far has revealed both sides of the argument. Luckily it has remain relatively cordial for such a controversial topic. Even though the school has been around since 2000, administration has changed hands where RELATIVELY school is really been around 2010-2011. Name has been kept in order to maintain current contracts. Though any past success AND failures can't be attributed to this SMU, as it's practically a new school with same name and buildings.

Doctor Ali
04-11-2012, 06:58 PM
True, but so far the complaints aren't really about the course load. It's really been about quality of clinical and pricing, and amount of students currently attending SMU. The detractors of the school are concerned about if history will repeat and campus will shut down. Supporters are making countering arguemnt that academics are solid, and the numbers detractors provide is wrong; Detractors are also being painted as CMU spies, and competition that will slander the school.

A very interesting conversation between the group, and really so far has revealed both sides of the argument. Luckily it has remain relatively cordial for such a controversial topic. Even though the school has been around since 2000, administration has changed hands where RELATIVELY school is really been around 2010-2011. Name has been kept in order to maintain current contracts. Though any past success AND failures can't be attributed to this SMU, as it's practically a new school with same name and buildings.

Oh, no, no. Don't get me wrong. Right after my four year college, in 2008, I did and got accepted to St. Martinus. As days went by, I got this weird chills about this school. My guts were telling me that something is wrong here. That's when I found/apply to Windsor at the last minute. As a result, St. Martinus did indeed shut down. I would be in a hell of trouble with my parents.

I do however, agree that most students complain alot because they fail the course and then blame on the school. This is everywhere - including in Windsor. Life is tough, but we have to go through it - to achieve something in lfe.

onehope
04-12-2012, 11:04 AM
Were you a former student? I notice in your old posts you were deciding between UMHS vs SMU.

I am a former student and I did not leave because I was failing or couldn't cut it. In fact I was close to honoring most of my classes. I left because I realized that ANY caribbean school is better than this (and trust me I know the problems all schools in the caribbean have).

When a school has all the problems below and they're doing nothing about them, you don't need to be a rocket scientist to know that you have to jump ship

St Martinus (right now in 2012)

They have:

No students (20 something students in all of basic sciences counts as no students in my opinion)

Poor faculty with no teaching experience (They only bring in faculty from India so it should be easy to bring in someone with more than a few months teaching experience right?)

No clinical rotations or affiliations for its students (they lie to students faces and link themselves to hospitals that they do not have)

Only one student that has taken the USMLE Step 1 and passed and even he jumped ship and transferred when they told him that they have no clinical spots and don't know when they will).

I was threatened and abused by the owner and some of the people above because I chose to leave the school. I don't mind, I'd rather get in a lifeboat than stay and go down with the ship. Mark my words, this school is being run that badly that it will close.

roozybeh
04-12-2012, 03:49 PM
You know what guys... this is a cycle that starts every time someone is bored or has too much time on their hands when they should be studying!!!

People ask why students don't come into defending their school? well my friends, it is due to couple of reasons:
1- most of the students don't care about value MD
2- we have better things to do and that is studying!!!
3- who cares what is said on this site? its all ** anyways!

if you claim that the school is small... i'm sorry what do you have against a class of 12 ppl! you are getting tutored!!! go to a school with a class of 160 or 200!

for the people who like to start rumors... let me say this:
YES SMU has some minor issues and room for improvements, but they are not life threatening issues! IF you are a current student (which i can tell that you are not) at least bring up a complaint that is valid!
6 deans? what are you? crazy? you sure you are at the same school as I?

i like my school and my teachers. the curriculum is hard and YES, it is not for the weak as stated by an earlier post. Faculty's doors are always open if you need help, so please don't give me that!

and frankly, those people who complain that the exams are too hard, in my MD4 class people get 90's! so its not impossible, you just have to put-in the work.

as for the people who left... i'm sorry to see them go and i HOPE that they made a wise decision! they are still my friends and i don't wish harm even on my enemy. we are all professionals and grown-ups! act like one!!!

as for the clinicals... that ship has sailed! i know the "referenced person" and guess what... that was just another rumor. if you have questions, call the school or the students. ALSO! clinicals contract papers are at the directors office! just go in and look at the letter heads and the signatures to put your mind at peace.

and just a reminder: SMU is an approved university by the department of the veterans affairs... if uncle sam can trust the school with its money, i'm sure you can too.

now, please and go study for the gods sake! we are all a little too old and mature for these cat-fights. act like a doctor you want to treat your family and remember that karma is a b***h!

Roozbeh (you know how to find me)

roozybeh
04-12-2012, 03:55 PM
and hey!

don't say anything about my teachers! they are all smart and fantastic teachers. i'm sorry that they are too hard for some people, but they teach you well.

as for any future students:
first apply to the top 3: ROSS, AUA & SGU
you didn't get in...

then start visiting the other schools, sit in the classrooms and talk to the students and the faculty. not every school out there meets your needs.

SMU isn't an easy school, and all those teachers who are here, were at the those TOP 3 schools and came here bc they get paid more (and have 95% on their steps and took the steps in the past 2-3 years...)

so please, get your facts right. the way you guys shoot the canons your patients won't survive!

grow up and act like a professional.

GOOD LUCK

thxleave
04-12-2012, 04:37 PM
You know what guys... this is a cycle that starts every time someone is bored or has too much time on their hands when they should be studying!!!

People ask why students don't come into defending their school? well my friends, it is due to couple of reasons:
1- most of the students don't care about value MD
2- we have better things to do and that is studying!!!
3- who cares what is said on this site? its all ** anyways!

if you claim that the school is small... i'm sorry what do you have against a class of 12 ppl! you are getting tutored!!! go to a school with a class of 160 or 200!

for the people who like to start rumors... let me say this:
YES SMU has some minor issues and room for improvements, but they are not life threatening issues! IF you are a current student (which i can tell that you are not) at least bring up a complaint that is valid!
6 deans? what are you? crazy? you sure you are at the same school as I?

i like my school and my teachers. the curriculum is hard and YES, it is not for the weak as stated by an earlier post. Faculty's doors are always open if you need help, so please don't give me that!

and frankly, those people who complain that the exams are too hard, in my MD4 class people get 90's! so its not impossible, you just have to put-in the work.

as for the people who left... i'm sorry to see them go and i HOPE that they made a wise decision! they are still my friends and i don't wish harm even on my enemy. we are all professionals and grown-ups! act like one!!!

as for the clinicals... that ship has sailed! i know the "referenced person" and guess what... that was just another rumor. if you have questions, call the school or the students. ALSO! clinicals contract papers are at the directors office! just go in and look at the letter heads and the signatures to put your mind at peace.

and just a reminder: SMU is an approved university by the department of the veterans affairs... if uncle sam can trust the school with its money, i'm sure you can too.

now, please and go study for the gods sake! we are all a little too old and mature for these cat-fights. act like a doctor you want to treat your family and remember that karma is a b***h!

Roozbeh (you know how to find me)

Sorry to say, but ValueMD is actually really important since it provides vital information. Not everybody is rich and can travel to the schools. Valuemd is only way to talk to former and current students. I'm not going to talk to students the school provide, since they are cherry picked to be positive. I rather talk to students on ValueMD, since they have no obligation to give school positive feedback unless they want to. A lot of doctors have time to post on forum, I'm pretty sure they are busy, insinuating that people that post on this forum "have better things to do" is pretty disrespectful to all the doctors that do spend time here. As for smaller classroom, I think the argument is that since it's for-profit, if the school can't churn a profit in short and long term, then the fate of the students are grim. The profit of the school hinges on tuition, and low enrollment is really dangerous for a new for-profit school. So far none of the complaints about SMU are about the course-load, so I don't see why you keep bringing that up. Uncle Sam isn't really smart with their money and regulations, look at Enron, and the bank bail out.

Everybody was really amicable in our conversation trying to bring out pros and cons about the school. So potential students can decide with full knowledge before they go to SMU, but you have to ruin it by being rude with your language.

If you want to defend your school, which I can understand, then please do so in a logical and RESPECTFUL way. After all if you want to be a doctor you want to treat your family XD

Dr Truth
04-12-2012, 07:48 PM
I was accepted at St Martinus to start the MD program this year. On the first day I realized I had made a very big mistake. There were less than 3 students starting Med 1 with me, the teachers sucked, the building looked like it was falling apart and the owners dogs were running in and out of our classroom. After a few days I decided to go back home and I have now joined IAU in St Lucia which is not the best school but it makes Martinus look like a zoo.

I created an account on this site after reading some of the comments posted. I just don’t want anyone else to make the same mistake I did. This is just me giving you all a heads up before you make any decisions. There are loads of schools out there that I would recommend ahead of martinus.

soniaa
04-12-2012, 07:57 PM
and hey!

don't say anything about my teachers! they are all smart and fantastic teachers. i'm sorry that they are too hard for some people, but they teach you well.

as for any future students:
first apply to the top 3: ROSS, AUA & SGU
you didn't get in...

then start visiting the other schools, sit in the classrooms and talk to the students and the faculty. not every school out there meets your needs.

SMU isn't an easy school, and all those teachers who are here, were at the those TOP 3 schools and came here bc they get paid more (and have 95% on their steps and took the steps in the past 2-3 years...)

so please, get your facts right. the way you guys shoot the canons your patients won't survive!

grow up and act like a professional.

GOOD LUCK

When you attended UHMS you defended them with pride so are you now of your new school , do you remember

Good for you. You will succeed with this much pride. I hope you Passed the first time, well the second time, is ok, trust me take the Kaplan class again you will do well ;)

LBfromtheDALE
04-13-2012, 12:01 AM
Sorry to say, but ValueMD is actually really important since it provides vital information.
Yes & no. Valuemd CAN provide vital information, but you have to sift through the Troll excrement to get there. Give your membership more than two months before you formulate an official stance on the matter.

A lot of doctors have time to post on forum, I'm pretty sure they are busy, insinuating that people that post on this forum "have better things to do" is pretty disrespectful to all the doctors that do spend time here.
Once I graduate and obtain a residency you have permission to shoot me in the face if I ever post on Valuemd again. I see no disrespect. UNLESS you're a moderator and/or a rockstar MD who uses this site as a hobby to kill time during call in order to help out us foolish IMGs then no...there is really no reason to waste your short time on this earth to defend the pros/cons of a school that you never attended.

Uncle Sam isn't really smart with their money and regulations, look at Enron, and the bank bail out.
+ Detroit + O$B$A$M$A...s...$C$A$R$E (thanks to VMD for blocking the chosen one's name) + etc. etc. :clapover: AGREED :clapover:

Everybody was really amicable in our conversation trying to bring out pros and cons about the school. So potential students can decide with full knowledge before they go to SMU, but you have to ruin it by being rude with your language.

You are calling the guy rude = insult. People are lashing out at his school (crap, or not). Personally, I see nothing wrong with what he said. Once again...VMD will not give you "full knowledge" (see Troll excrement comment). That being said, if you REALLY want to see Roozy go off his rocker start knocking Rocky Balboa ;)

When you attended UHMS you defended them with pride so are you now of your new school , do you remember

Good for you. You will succeed with this much pride. I hope you Passed the first time, well the second time, is ok, trust me take the Kaplan class again you will do well ;)

Hahaha...I agree, Caribbean schools deserve ZERO pride. That being said, the kid hasn't written the boards yet. Don't be too hard on him. Btw...I'm jealous, I'm working with R1s (NOT in rotations)...wish I was one. ;)

thxleave
04-13-2012, 12:10 AM
Yes & no. Valuemd CAN provide vital information, but you have to sift through the Troll excrement to get there. Give your membership more than two months before you formulate an official stance on the matter.

Once I graduate and obtain a residency you have permission to shoot me in the face if I ever post on Valuemd again. I see no disrespect. UNLESS you're a moderator and/or a rockstar MD who uses this site as a hobby to kill time during call in order to help out us foolish IMGs then no...there is really no reason to waste your short time on this earth to defend the pros/cons of a school that you never attended.

+ Detroit + O$B$A$M$A...s...$C$A$R$E (thanks to VMD for blocking the chosen one's name) + etc. etc. :clapover: AGREED :clapover:

You are calling the guy rude = insult. People are lashing out at his school (crap, or not). Personally, I see nothing wrong with what he said. Once again...VMD will not give you "full knowledge" (see Troll excrement comment). That being said, if you REALLY want to see Roozy go off his rocker start knocking Rocky Balboa ;)

Hahaha...I agree, Caribbean schools deserve ZERO pride. That being said, the kid hasn't written the boards yet. Don't be too hard on him. Btw...I'm jealous, I'm working with R1s (NOT in rotations)...wish I was one. ;)

I use ValueMD so I don't enroll in a school with no title IV loans, and end up being roadblocked in clinicals. After all doesn't that happen if you don't study all the resources you can get, such as valueMD. XD Private loans aren't stable especially citiloans, all that info I learn from reading valuemd; doesn't hurt to learn and discuss about other Caribbean schools.

soniaa
04-13-2012, 12:59 AM

You will be a resident soon, Just do what is best for you. If you feel like transferring to Windsor or any other school because your afraid the school is closing, do it, dont defend a sinking ship, do your job, and do it fast and do it correct. you will be a resident if you do it for your self to learn the best for your patients.

thxleave
04-13-2012, 01:26 AM
You will be a resident soon, Just do what is best for you. If you feel like transferring to Windsor or any other school because your afraid the school is closing, do it, dont defend a sinking ship, do your job, and do it fast and do it correct. you will be a resident if you do it for your self to learn the best for your patients.

Regardless, I agree with the sentiment. It's unfortunate for people that finish two years of medical school, and passed the board to be stalled at that process.

soniaa
04-13-2012, 01:31 AM
Regardless, I agree with the sentiment. It's unfortunate for people that finish two years of medical school, and passed the board to be stalled at that process.

The hardest part is knowing that the clinical rotations that you have done are not approved by the graduate medical education department of the hospital. Kiss Perm. License goodbye for almost 45 states.

bosek
04-13-2012, 04:27 PM
If I may ask who were your teachers? As far as I can tell none of the students who came here left. Please do not misinform. It is interesting to note that anyone who is claiming to have knowledge is being blocked as having multiple accounts. I wonder why?

Dr Truth
04-13-2012, 06:29 PM
What i don't get is why students keep defending a failed school. They know the school has no new students coming in and the students they do have keep transferring out. I was one of them, my MED1 class had less than 3 people. Any sane person would worry big time. Curacao has three med schools, Martinus is the oldest one, has the least students, no clinical spots, an empty campus and an administration that makes third world med schools look like Cornell or Yale.

The sad thing is that every poster on this site knows I'm telling the truth.

Doctor Ali
04-13-2012, 10:27 PM
What i don't get is why students keep defending a failed school. They know the school has no new students coming in and the students they do have keep transferring out. I was one of them, my MED1 class had less than 3 people. Any sane person would worry big time. Curacao has three med schools, Martinus is the oldest one, has the least students, no clinical spots, an empty campus and an administration that makes third world med schools look like Cornell or Yale.

I strongly agree.

MerlinDoc85
04-13-2012, 11:07 PM

You may be right. You may be wrong.

Does it matter? No.

Are there alumni who are licensed, practising physicans exist? Yes.

What does that mean? SHUT UP, PUT YOUR NOSE TO THE BOOKS, AND STOP WHINING LIKE A SPOILED BRAT. IF OTHERS DID IT AND YOU CANT, IT MEANS YOU DONT HAVE WHAT IT TAKES - regardless of the hurdles.

Apart from SGU/ROSS, caribbean med schools are an OPPORTUNITY

thxleave
04-13-2012, 11:14 PM

Does it matter? No.

What does that mean? SHUT UP, PUT YOUR NOSE TO THE BOOKS, AND STOP WHINING LIKE A SPOILED BRAT. IF OTHERS DID IT AND YOU CANT, IT MEANS YOU DONT HAVE WHAT IT TAKES - regardless of the hurdles.

Not really, school been opened for two years only. It closed down and reopen under total new administration. All itents and legal purpose it's a new school. So no it doesn't have any alumni practicing as of right now.

Doctor Ali
04-13-2012, 11:43 PM

Does it matter? No.

Trust me. I experienced in 2008 in my backbone. I was accepted/payed seat deposit and never showed up. Went straight into WUSOM - same exact time zone.

Doctor Ali
04-13-2012, 11:45 PM
School did shut down. Now image if I was there and facing this. Where will I go from there? What would I tell my parents?

Dr Truth
04-14-2012, 12:33 AM

Does it matter? No.

What have I done but tell the truth??

The thread says that SMU should close and I'm just giving my opinion like everyone else. I don't know who you are Merlindoc but I think that people have the right to know whats going on at St Martinus. This is an open forum for people to get information and talk about different caribbean med schools, many people come here to weigh up the positives and negatives before they make an expensive decision. I know that caribbean med schools give an '' opportunity'' for many people to get an MD and we should put our heads down and study, but It doesn't mean that you have to take **** just because they give you an opportunity.

The cold hard facts are

SMU has an average of 5-6 students per class. No caribbean school can last for long with enrollment that low.
The owners of the school have no money and cannot afford to do what is needed to turn this around. To make matters worse, their students keep transferring to the other two schools on the island but they have never been able to get any students from the other two schools, hmmm not a good sign is it?

As for the people that will come and defend the school, if you are students, stop and ask yourself whether your defence of the school is actually worth it if a year from now you find yourselves looking for another school because this one closed on your ***

soniaa
04-14-2012, 01:43 AM
I also paid seat deposit in 2006. but ended graduating from Windsor and matched to my number uno IM uni program

thxleave
04-14-2012, 03:36 AM

The thread says that SMU should close and I'm just giving my opinion like everyone else. I don't know who you are Merlindoc but I think that people have the right to know whats going on at St Martinus. This is an open forum for people to get information and talk about different caribbean med schools, many people come here to weigh up the positives and negatives before they make an expensive decision. I know that caribbean med schools give an '' opportunity'' for many people to get an MD and we should put our heads down and study, but It doesn't mean that you have to take **** just because they give you an opportunity.

The cold hard facts are

SMU has an average of 5-6 students per class. No caribbean school can last for long with enrollment that low.
The owners of the school have no money and cannot afford to do what is needed to turn this around. To make matters worse, their students keep transferring to the other two schools on the island but they have never been able to get any students from the other two schools, hmmm not a good sign is it?

As for the people that will come and defend the school, if you are students, stop and ask yourself whether your defence of the school is actually worth it if a year from now you find yourselves looking for another school because this one closed on your ***

That's great and all if you were telling the truth. Just that there were a lot of people that were banned for multiple accounts. Hard to discern from students that are from SMU are complaining, or A very angry student.

MerlinDoc85
04-14-2012, 08:46 AM

The cold hard facts are

Yeah I understand.

Good luck in your future endeavors.

thxleave
04-14-2012, 01:47 PM
Yeah I understand.

Good luck in your future endeavors.

True, though as I mention earlier. It's hard to discern if there are multiple students trying to tell the negative of SMU, or one very upset student. Changes how people interpret the forum.

Why Me 27
04-14-2012, 03:20 PM
I had to create a new account because valuemd thinks that I am one of the other posters, so I was banned for multiple accounts. My handle was Dr Truth if you want to know.

I only created an account in the first place to contribute to this thread but it looks like all the people that complain on this thread keep getting banned. I won’t post after this, but I can bet that as long as things stay the same at St. Martinus there will be many more complaints.

I didn’t start this thread, a current student did. I left St Martinus after a week because it was that bad. All I did on this forum was tell the truth. The students still at martinus know that their school is in trouble, I guess many of them don’t want to face the fact that they’ve wasted thousands of dollars and precious time in a school that WILL CLOSE. If they don’t increase their MED1 intake of students from 3 to like 20 they will close, it’s inevitable. I understood that in just one week.

I have no sympathy for anyone that reads all of this and still joins the school. When you get screwed as the original poster says, don’t blame us. As for the people that are still there…….. GOOD LUCK, YOU’LL NEED IT.

(You can ban my account if you want. I’ve said what I have to say. Those who have ears should listen)

thxleave
04-14-2012, 03:33 PM
I had to create a new account because valuemd thinks that I am one of the other posters, so I was banned for multiple accounts. My handle was Dr Truth if you want to know.

I only created an account in the first place to contribute to this thread but it looks like all the people that complain on this thread keep getting banned. I won’t post after this, but I can bet that as long as things stay the same at St. Martinus there will be many more complaints.

I didn’t start this thread, a current student did. I left St Martinus after a week because it was that bad. All I did on this forum was tell the truth. The students still at martinus know that their school is in trouble, I guess many of them don’t want to face the fact that they’ve wasted thousands of dollars and precious time in a school that WILL CLOSE. If they don’t increase their MED1 intake of students from 3 to like 20 they will close, it’s inevitable. I understood that in just one week.

I have no sympathy for anyone that reads all of this and still joins the school. When you get screwed as the original poster says, don’t blame us. As for the people that are still there…….. GOOD LUCK, YOU’LL NEED IT.

(You can ban my account if you want. I’ve said what I have to say. Those who have ears should listen)

I am assuming moderators ban based on shared IP for multiple account offenses. Not just on a bunch.

04-15-2012, 09:42 AM
nothing productive is coming from this thread, many infractions, closing.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.