PDA

View Full Version : Providence Hospital Electives

ScubaV
03-29-2012, 02:17 PM
Anyone schedule electives at Providence? I filled out the online application almost three weeks ago and haven't heard anything. I've been trying to call the student coordinator for several days but always get voice mail. I even tracked down her e-mail address (not given on the hospital website). No contact. How do I get a hold of this lady?

Slaol
03-29-2012, 05:40 PM
Anyone schedule electives at Providence? I filled out the online application almost three weeks ago and haven't heard anything. I've been trying to call the student coordinator for several days but always get voice mail. I even tracked down her e-mail address (not given on the hospital website). No contact. How do I get a hold of this lady?

You could try contacting some of the people in charge of coordinating clinicals at AUC:
Contact Us | American University of the Caribbean (http://www.aucmed.edu/clinical/contact-us.html)

I was in a similar situation as you & nothing happened until I contacted some of these people.

nutsterrt
03-30-2012, 06:44 PM
I filled out the online application almost three weeks ago and haven't heard anything. I've been trying to call the student coordinator for several days but always get voice mail. I even tracked down her e-mail address (not given on the hospital website). No contact.

THIS, unfortunately, is what people are talking about when they say things like "you thought Basic was disorganized? Wait until you get to work with OCSA."

You could try contacting some of the people in charge of coordinating clinicals at AUC.
This doesn't always work, either. With one particular site (and one of our core hospitals), I had my coordinator submit a request for electives while explicitly stating in said request that the order was of no importance. After three weeks of not hearing back, we threw in the towel and went with a different hospital. Come on. It's bad (but expected) that we have trouble arranging electives at outside hospitals; it's worse when we can't arrange them at our own 'core' facilities.

I get that program coordinators are busy and may not want to deal with student requests directly. But if the hospitals that we throw millions of dollars at won't even respond to our coordinators, who's wearing the pants?

Somewhat related, I recall another experience when I expressed interest in a particular hospital and asked my coordinator to put in a request. The answer: "we almost never hear back from them...your best bet is to show up at their office and ask in person."

:x

Anyway, back to Scuba's original inquiry. Your best bet with Providence is to find an insider that will take care of this for you, then let AUC send in the paperwork AFTER it's been set up.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.