PDA

View Full Version : Chances of Acceptance into Premedical Course and then Medical School

kathleenmurphyib
03-27-2012, 12:49 AM
I've put two previous posts about what Gdansk can offer me and about other things. Application time is about to come in a month and I'm applying for the premedical course to solidify my chemistry, touch up on some bio (I'm in HL Biology in IB as a senior so I"m good there) and get a year of Polish before entering the real programme. So far the premedical course sounds really good to help me score high in the entrance exam but has anyone here ACTUALLy taken the premed course? If so how is it? On top of that, what are success rates of passing the exam upon finishing the course? I went to visit the school but I forgot to ask the admissions office how many students were typically in the course and how well they did afterwards *face palm*. I'd love some first hand information if anyone out there can help me. What are admission rates? I have A's and B's in Biology and Chemistry and I was in Latin Honors during Sophomore Year. Can that help me since the curriculum has Latin? Just wondering! While admissions office said I wouldn't have a problem getting in with my grades in those two classes, is there some way to bump up my chances? Thanks so much!! Sorry for such a long post!

reichmann
03-27-2012, 05:14 AM
Apply via Lehrer Med (http://www.lehrermed.com) , go to the University of Toronto entrance exam on July 11, like they have on the web page, see if you get in. If you don't then go for the premed course. I don't know anyone in that premed course... I guess I can look into some emails for the people in that program... ? ( I take it you're applying from Canada/U.S. )

786-90
04-19-2012, 01:02 PM
I've put two previous posts about what Gdansk can offer me and about other things. Application time is about to come in a month and I'm applying for the premedical course to solidify my chemistry, touch up on some bio (I'm in HL Biology in IB as a senior so I"m good there) and get a year of Polish before entering the real programme. So far the premedical course sounds really good to help me score high in the entrance exam but has anyone here ACTUALLy taken the premed course? If so how is it? On top of that, what are success rates of passing the exam upon finishing the course? I went to visit the school but I forgot to ask the admissions office how many students were typically in the course and how well they did afterwards *face palm*. I'd love some first hand information if anyone out there can help me. What are admission rates? I have A's and B's in Biology and Chemistry and I was in Latin Honors during Sophomore Year. Can that help me since the curriculum has Latin? Just wondering! While admissions office said I wouldn't have a problem getting in with my grades in those two classes, is there some way to bump up my chances? Thanks so much!! Sorry for such a long post!

From what i have herd..
only 13 people are doing the premed course in Gdansk med uni.

Personally i would recommend you go straight for medicine.
Pre-med will not really do you any extra favours.

Besides chemisty & cell biology in first year here at gdansk med uni are really insignificant.

As for latin its well easy... and i am absolutely rubbish at languages.

Trisha123
06-26-2012, 06:21 AM
I've replied to a previous thread of yours however I think this thread is a little more on topic. Forgive me if I repeat myself. I am a former premed student who did the 2010/2011 Premed programme at MUG.

In the first semester you'll concentrate on biology and inorganic chemistry with some basic polish and medical terminology. Seeing as you're an IB graduate the biology component is a step up from IB HL Bio. It will be an excellent revision however we were also taught things that will NEVER pop up in the entrace exam such as plant science. On the other hand I think it's also slightly modelled around the Polish highschool curriculum which will help you on the entrace. The Poles seem to really want you to know the evolution of many organ structures of the heart and brain which you just don't cover in IB.

If you've taken IB HL Chem the inorganic chemistry component should be a walk in the park. However I must warn you that the pace of the class is rapid and you won't be doing cute molarity calculations for long. So treat it with respect even if you think you're walking into that class knowin g it all. Concepts which you were given a good two weeks to understand an internalise in highschool will be taught to you within a two and a half hour lecture and you'll be writing the test on it two days later. Furthermore, no one scored above an 80 on the final upon completion of the inorganic chemistry component.

All in all the first semester isn't a huge step up from your senior year. It's mostly just revision of things you've been taught before with more detail and less time to learn these details. You write a test every class of what you were taught in the previous class which will usually give you four tests a week in the main subjects. However second semester is where the magic starts. You get to buy your snazzy white coat, put on your name tag and go down into the anatomy labs and....sit down and take notes from a powerpoint presentation. No cadavers 4 U lol. And you have histology alongside organic chemistry. I think the second semester should give you a good taste of the pace of what's to come.

Anatomy & psysilogy is definitely going to be one of the more challenging classes of premed but also probably the most fun. Our anatomy professors were fairly charismatic individuals that, well, made learning fun. And though you will VERY rarely see actual specimins and cadavers you do get taught a lot on models. What's also different to the M.D programme is that you're taught anatomy systematically and not regionally which makes it easier in some ways and will definitely help you in first year. For example, instead of just learning the anatomy of the upper and lower limb, you'll already know all the bones, muscles, nerves, vessels and you'll just have to learn how to combine them and build a full three dimoneional image in your mind. And the phsyiology component will help you understand what they exactly do rather than just memorising their name. It should give you a kick start.

Histology, I personally believe, isn't a huge step down from what they teach in first year. The course is definitely a lot shorter that first year but I believe they just pulled out the most important lectures of the first year, asigned us the same book as the first year students and had us write the exam which didn't look that much different. Just obviously more concise.

And as for organic chemistry, study it as it probably will save your **** on the final exam. Only two weeks after writing the Organic Chemistry component we wrote the Entrance Exam. A week before we wrote the Anatomy and Physilogy final. That leaves you with a week to revise Biology and Inorganic Chemistry. I guarentee you that after four months have passed it's not going to be that fresh. Also take into account that Inorganic Chemistry is a MASSIVE topic. That Organic Chem probably will help a lot. It was also a majority of the chemistry component on the enterance.

And for the other classess like Polish and Medical Terminology they're pretty fun and easy compared to your science courses. But don't fall into the trap of neglecting them because of this. If you want to be accepted the University wants to see good overall grades alongside a passed enterance.

And as for the success rates, 14 of us took the course, 7 of us got accepted at MUG, 2 got accepted with their credits in Szczecin to study dentistry, 3 people were denied a seat, and 2 weren't awarded a diploma and weren't allowed to sit the final. With that said, those who got accepted put a lot of work into the year. And those who didn't weren't awarded a seat. The Premedical course is definitely easier that the first year however that doesn't make it easy. If you want to be successful you have to be willing to work a few hours every day. You have to be willing to come home friday evening and work until sunday night. You have to be willing to attent every lecture whether it starts at eight in the morning or goes until six in the evening. And though you can definitely pass with high grades in all your subjects it is very easy to fail. Not because of the difficulty of the material but because of the rapid pass and amount of the material. You get in what you put out. But don't worry. You will quickly develop your own rhythm and study methods. All I suggest is to stay away from the clubs, put down the vodka bottle, pick up your lecture notes and form a study group.

And though we were a small group this year, the 2012/2013 premedical course has seats for 40 students. I'll see you in October.

kathleenmurphyib
06-26-2012, 09:13 AM
Ok Trisha, you're my favorite person today! That was very informative, I've been looking for months for an answer like that! Thanks! Where are you from btw?

duzzy
07-01-2012, 03:00 PM
Apply via leher med and just go for med course right away. Gdansk does their recruiting differently. Many of the other schools in Poland base your entrance off of the entrance exam and nothing else. Gdansk, however, takes into account your grades, your score on the exam, and the interview IF you don't do so well on the exam itself. Basically the interview is a way to defend yourself and let the interviewers know why you'd be a great candidate for medical school. This is how it goes for Gdansk:

You need 88 points out of 130 to get in

60 points are from your grades in high school/uni (if you didn't take certain sciences in high school)
60 points are from the entrance exam
10 points for the interview.

They determine how many points you get for your grades based on your grades. If, for example, you took 4 science classes and got As in all of them then they will give you 56-60 points. (Just a guess)

that means that you already have 56-60 points out of the 88 you need in order to get in.

Then lets say you get a 75% on the entrance exam. That means you would get 45 points out of 60 which means you'll be accepted into the 6 year MD program and won't have to go through the interview process. So just apply to the 6 year MD program and see where you stand. If you don't get in then I'm sure you'll be able to apply to the pre-med course. I had the opportunity to talk to a few people who got accepted last year and this is the advice they gave me so I'm forwarding you information from people who got accepted.

From what I've heard the pre-med course doesn't really increase your chances of getting accepted. All it does is prepare you for the entrance exam so you might as well apply to the 6 year, take the test, and see where you stand. Maybe you'll get accepted. It's worth a shot. If you don't get accepted then talk to the recruiter and see if you can just sign up to the pre-med course. I'm sure they will help you out.

deepgill23
05-01-2013, 11:33 PM
If we have taken community college classes and obtained a decent gpa (3.40) would that offset an average high school gpa?

duzzy
05-02-2013, 03:59 AM
Check your private messages

deepgill23
05-02-2013, 10:14 AM
I am very sorry but it appears I cannot send personal messages yet or even post my own email on this site as I do not have an adequate number of posts, but I will write my email here just without the dot com so here it is: [email protected]
Thank you very much for your help, I greatly appreciate it.

reichmann
01-18-2014, 01:20 PM
Currently there are 60 students in the PreMed. There is a guarantee for all to enter the M.D., if they pass the PreMed.

mberger
01-18-2014, 01:24 PM
So you can apply for the 6 year, fail the entrance exam, and apply for the PreMed in the same year/?

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.