PDA

View Full Version : Is this much Polish sufficient to communicate?

bidiboom
03-26-2012, 08:33 AM
Hi people,

I wonder something: The cases (practically 6 cases with singular/plural forms) are getting things pretty much crowded as it is in Turkish as well.

In Turkey a non-native speaker in general is very much welcomed with a pretty limited Turkish and because people has an intention to understand them, they can communicate comfortably without a quality grammar. Its extraordinary to see a non-native speaker fluent in Turkish, since it has many case suffixes and non-natives tend to drop those suffixes.

Is it possible to do this among Poles as well? For instance to express

"To jest dom mojego przyjaciela."
"That's the house of my girl-friend."

can you use the nominative form and say

"To jest dom moj przyjaciel."

Not only for genitive case, but for all cases, if you drop the case suffixes and use only nominative case, can the people understand what you mean correctly and can you communicate? And do they have a reaction for those that are using their language half-in- grammar? I mean say for instance you can talk in Polish comfortably, but half-limping in case suffixes, do they react? Patients, nurses, doctors, at street?

I ask this not because of disrespect, not I dont care their language, contrarily I take it a part of respect to use a language fully, as much as possible. But I am also pragmatic and give the first priority not to grammar but to fluency. What do you think guys?

Thank you..

bidiboom
03-31-2012, 12:30 PM
A reply from a Pole in a languae forum:

"... Well, I am sure that Poles will be able to understand people who speak not correctly in grammar. What's more i don't think that Poles react negatively when somebody speaks incorrectly, we know that our language is very difficult, so when we hear a foreginer who try to speak in our language we really apreciate this Greetings from Poland... "

bidiboom
03-31-2012, 12:31 PM
As a beginning www.livemocha.com is great, it prepares you for further steps and you can feel close to the language since you develop an idea about its pronounciation.

I use this one for grammar (but I suggest you to jump to the "Verbs" part at the beginning, otherwise you lose yourself in case declensions and that may turn you down):
http://polish.slavic.pitt.edu/firstyear/nutshell.pdf

And this one is an extensive dictionary with declensions:
http://polish.slavic.pitt.edu/~swan/beta/

Also for pronounciations(and translations) I use google translate.

edit: I woke up later that actually the last two links above are the parts of this main link :p :
http://polish.slavic.pitt.edu/
The guy behind it is Oscar Swan, PhD, and he is open to the questions (as I inferred from his expressions in the website, or if I am wrong, I will have one more guy running after me! :rolleyes::D ):
http://www.slavic.pitt.edu/people/faculty/swan.php

Also http://www.polyglot-learn-language.com/ is a good source for forums and Polish/English stories.

04-09-2012, 04:58 PM
hahaha no they wouldn't have a bad reaction. in my case - when i visit poland i tend to make mistakes too..... people at the store, movies, etc. usually just laugh it off and correct me XD. The rest of the time they just look at me funny (i think its because half the time people can't tell if im from poland and just have bad grammar or a foreigner who speaks polish well....). and if they do stare i just start to start to talk in english to one of my friends/cousins and they figure it out :D and suddenly become friendly and interested (i wonder why...? ;)) Anyway, most polish people (i hate calling them poles :)) are really good about it and appreciate your efforts :)
And about your other question:
It is best just to say "To jest dom mojego przyjaciela."
instead of "To jest dom moj przyjaciel.", because the second sentence means "This is the house-my friend." implying that you are friends with a house XD
anyway... good luck with your polish!

p.s.) btw przyjaciel is more like a best friend - girlfriend is dziewczyna (even though dziewczyna also means girl :) - its complicated.....)

bidiboom
04-10-2012, 04:32 AM
Oooo! Our young friend knows this very well :D Wow! I was looking for someone to ask such stuff, now I found!

... It is best just to say "To jest dom mojego przyjaciela."
instead of "To jest dom moj przyjaciel.", because the second sentence means "This is the house-my friend." implying that you are friends with a house...

Hahaha :D ok, its better, but I dont know how to make that better sentence, man! :D Until then I will go on to be friends with houses I think.. In time it gets better.

... and suddenly become friendly and interested (i wonder why...? ;) ...

Culture, state of mind, they're not used to see people learning Polish (they must, Poland is the rising power of Europe today).. their hearts beat that way I think :) I see many similarities between Turkish and Polish people, both feel similar in similar cases. For instance Turkish too is a language like Polish, we know how hard it is for a foreigner and we feel very warm about them as we see how they struggle to make a sentence :) hahaha :D Once what happened: The wife of an ambassador, she has tried really hard to learn Turkish, wanted to make a little show with her Turkish during a lunch, and she herself gave the order: She wanted toasted bread, ok? In Turkish
ekmek-bread
erkek-man :D and
kizarmis-toasted (too long)
sert-hard, crispy
eventually she said "Sert erkek istiyorum (I want a hard man)" .. first meaning of it is an "erected man"!

By the way, you have a great advantage with your Polish.. and thank you for giving feedback about their reactions, its important for me to know those details.

04-10-2012, 05:05 PM
Ask away ;)

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.