PDA

View Full Version : A Negative Feedback About Charles 1st Faculty

bidiboom
03-13-2012, 04:02 PM
An American ex-student of Charles First Faculty told the following. I passed here without any change.

In one conversation:

"...at Charles, one histology professor starts to talk absolute nonsense AT you for three hours-everyone comes out dumbfounded without a clue how to proceed. I'm not devoting my life to that sort of waste ever again, ............ Charles' periodicals and equipment for practicals WERE probably 700years old. Unhygienic and outdated. So was much of the knowledge taught (eg. "nerve cells can never be regenerated")............... Charles had a 'good' reputation on the internet, leading to my decision to go..."

And in another:

"... Three years have passed since i left charles... i was there 2006-9... i'm not big on talking about what may be out-of-date experience. What i did learn and you're certainly appreciated for sharing is: don't take others' word for such a big decision. Go visit the school, sit in the classes, determine for yourself if you can understand the teaching, look at the syllabi (this takes heck of a lot of time to do - e.g. i printed all of cerrahpasa, marmara, akdeniz, to look at even day by day curricula.) E.g. at charles 1st faculty, first year they were making us go take PE classes that take up 3,4 hours including transportation time (because the PE classes were on the other side of town.) Their planning is completely screwed up they had no organisation whatsoever, planting their students for failure. They prided themselves to have 40% or 60% attrition rate to create the image that they were a highly selective authority and only the best could make it. Any applicant should learn the cause of attrition rate. Other things: they publish recommended book lists on their website - like a dummy (from my European and US professional and academic training, I learnt to always plan ahead for success - wrong move for Charles' study career) my preparation usually ended with rework or a waste of time/money, because they make students study from these Czech material that a first-year really couldn't understand on own. Students who make it are people who have passed down material from previous year students................... i'm not sure this writing is beneficial to anyone at this time. I wish there could be current students from that faculty giving opinion about this - i can think of two academically outstanding students in my class there- their qualities: 1. Strong in biology prior to Charles=don't need to be taught. Knew how to do independent studies. 2. Know how to use resources from previous year students who know how to pass their ridiculous waste-of-time exams. 3. Could put up with ridiculous dog-n-pony show requirements with a blind eye, managing to have time for required studies. 4. Know how to look up current events on own for advancement/up-to-date scientific knowledge. As of last year a group of my 'good student' colleagues singly voiced that genetic medicine was only for profiteering purposes. They obviously had no clue where the forefront of medicine was being applied. And this is a discipline trickled down from the faculty. Lazy complacent yet arrogant thinking they're the best because they have the highest attrition rate (that's their reputation. And that reputation translates to Charles being a good school, for some reason.)..."

shrey
03-14-2012, 01:33 PM
I happen to know this graduate and I think on the whole, some of the things (though true) might have been exaggerated. The first faculty has certainly improved from the time the aforementioned graduate left school. They're making new changes every year (some which are good, while others, which may seem quite harsh.)

I had a different experience here but that's because I came with an open mind and with low-expectations. One is bound to have a cultural shock when coming from another continent (as the case with the graduate who posted this), and that combined with getting accustomed to a European study system can seem all to gloomy to the foreigner, who then might unjustly conclude that everything is out of order and everyone, out to fail him lol.

bidiboom
03-14-2012, 02:17 PM
Shrey hi, its so good to see you :)

This person is not a he, but a she over 30.

If you eliminate the cultural and education system changes, how about the quality of education really? How would you grade over 10? Is it still going on to use materials in Czech language?

If you have time for it.. thanks :)

shrey
03-15-2012, 03:42 PM
Oh I see, then I'm not aware of her.

In all fairness, we do not use any materials in Czech language except for like the Anatomy course, where we use 3 little books that have anatomy diagrams in them (needed for the exam) and 1 little book of Neuroanatomy (the diagrams are all either labelled in Latin or Czech and it's easy to figure out the translation.) Apart from these 4 little books, I've never used any other Czech books except for the Czech language course.

I think the women who posted this has also grossly exaggerated the scenario. I can't really rate the quality of education because it's quite different from that of the US. The whole system is different and the basis of study is different (in the US, it's more oriented towards preparing students for the USMLE), that's not the case here. Here in Central Europe, they focus more on theory (which although frustrating, can really be helpful in the future) and less on the practical/clinical stuff, but that's because they have an internship after med school in Czech language for those who plan on specializing/living here. For those who are not, they have to either undertake an internship in their home country (eg. the certificate of experience in Ireland) or get into a program where the internship is included (like in US and Canada). However if you insist on me ranking the quality of education, here it goes:

1) theory - 9.5/10
2) practical (like for biochem, patho, histo etc.) - 9.5/10
3) clinical - 5-6/10

locumo123
03-15-2012, 03:53 PM
Shrey hi, its so good to see you :)

This person is not a he, but a she over 30.

If you eliminate the cultural and education system changes, how about the quality of education really? How would you grade over 10? Is it still going on to use materials in Czech language?

If you have time for it.. thanks :)

Yes it is still the case to use czech books but only in anatomy. but the grims books for example are available this summer in the english version. they are translated right now. I use the czech books a lot because of the pictures. those pictures are really nice and gives you a better understanding of the structure.

actually at every university in the world you find things which does not fit to you. it is not that bad as people have written here so far.
you have to do everything by your own. the seminars and lectures are only here to give you some inputs. the professors here do not really teach. the only thing what they do is to give one test and one test again. but if you study hard and participate in the seminars because there are professors who recognize their studs very well you will be fine.

at the end it is up to you and this is also in the other universities the case.

well and concerning getting old versions of tests. this is everywhere. when i studied in austria it was also common to get sample tests from older studs. :rolleyes:

locumo123
03-15-2012, 03:59 PM
Oh I see, then I'm not aware of her.

In all fairness, we do not use any materials in Czech language except for like the Anatomy course, where we use 3 little books that have anatomy diagrams in them (needed for the exam) and 1 little book of Neuroanatomy (the diagrams are all either labelled in Latin or Czech and it's easy to figure out the translation.) Apart from these 4 little books, I've never used any other Czech books except for the Czech language course.

I think the women who posted this has also grossly exaggerated the scenario. I can't really rate the quality of education because it's quite different from that of the US. The whole system is different and the basis of study is different (in the US, it's more oriented towards preparing students for the USMLE), that's not the case here. Here in Central Europe, they focus more on theory (which although frustrating, can really be helpful in the future) and less on the practical/clinical stuff, but that's because they have an internship after med school in Czech language for those who plan on specializing/living here. For those who are not, they have to either undertake an internship in their home country (eg. the certificate of experience in Ireland) or get into a program where the internship is included (like in US and Canada). However if you insist on me ranking the quality of education, here it goes:

1) theory - 9.5/10
2) practical (like for biochem, patho, histo etc.) - 9.5/10
3) clinical - 5-6/10

yes you are right. the clinical part is not the best. the use an old fashioned european education system. i know it because my home village is 300km away from praha so in my country we used this system many years ago too. but if you speak german properly then you can make some clinical subjects in germany without any problems for recognition.

shrey
03-16-2012, 12:17 PM
Indeed, it's the same if one can speak English, they go do a few of their rotations and even summer clerkships in Ireland, UK, Australia, US etc.

oliver_01
03-29-2012, 12:41 PM
An American ex-student of Charles First Faculty told the following. I passed here without any change.

In one conversation:

"...at Charles, one histology professor starts to talk absolute nonsense AT you for three hours-everyone comes out dumbfounded without a clue how to proceed. I'm not devoting my life to that sort of waste ever again, ............ Charles' periodicals and equipment for practicals WERE probably 700years old. Unhygienic and outdated. So was much of the knowledge taught (eg. "nerve cells can never be regenerated")............... Charles had a 'good' reputation on the internet, leading to my decision to go..."

And in another:

"... Three years have passed since i left charles... i was there 2006-9... i'm not big on talking about what may be out-of-date experience. What i did learn and you're certainly appreciated for sharing is: don't take others' word for such a big decision. Go visit the school, sit in the classes, determine for yourself if you can understand the teaching, look at the syllabi (this takes heck of a lot of time to do - e.g. i printed all of cerrahpasa, marmara, akdeniz, to look at even day by day curricula.) E.g. at charles 1st faculty, first year they were making us go take PE classes that take up 3,4 hours including transportation time (because the PE classes were on the other side of town.) Their planning is completely screwed up they had no organisation whatsoever, planting their students for failure. They prided themselves to have 40% or 60% attrition rate to create the image that they were a highly selective authority and only the best could make it. Any applicant should learn the cause of attrition rate. Other things: they publish recommended book lists on their website - like a dummy (from my European and US professional and academic training, I learnt to always plan ahead for success - wrong move for Charles' study career) my preparation usually ended with rework or a waste of time/money, because they make students study from these Czech material that a first-year really couldn't understand on own. Students who make it are people who have passed down material from previous year students................... i'm not sure this writing is beneficial to anyone at this time. I wish there could be current students from that faculty giving opinion about this - i can think of two academically outstanding students in my class there- their qualities: 1. Strong in biology prior to Charles=don't need to be taught. Knew how to do independent studies. 2. Know how to use resources from previous year students who know how to pass their ridiculous waste-of-time exams. 3. Could put up with ridiculous dog-n-pony show requirements with a blind eye, managing to have time for required studies. 4. Know how to look up current events on own for advancement/up-to-date scientific knowledge. As of last year a group of my 'good student' colleagues singly voiced that genetic medicine was only for profiteering purposes. They obviously had no clue where the forefront of medicine was being applied. And this is a discipline trickled down from the faculty. Lazy complacent yet arrogant thinking they're the best because they have the highest attrition rate (that's their reputation. And that reputation translates to Charles being a good school, for some reason.)..."

I would appreciate if you/anyone put more of these posts..not that am a big fan of hearing -ve feedback but I have applied there and would v much like to know whats happening out there..I doubt I will ever visit the school before hand just cuz its not my first choice and ..

Also am not aware of the uni environment and if its anymore spoon-feeding or not
But I would prefer to be spoon-fed so its v important to me if many people feel their teaching is not good !!!

Appreciate you making this thread

devildoc8404
03-29-2012, 01:23 PM
You will find negative feedback about any school, even the best schools in the world, but this is ESPECIALLY the case in E-EU. It's important for potential students to look at all of the information available and make an educated determination about what is actually the case, what may be embellished, what may be related to an individual circumstance (and/or individual wimp factor), and what is complete and utter bullcrap.

bidiboom
03-29-2012, 01:57 PM
Oliver hi,

Actually these kind of negative feedbacks dont drop here that honestly and frequently, as long as the student doesnt really feel suffocated. Its human nature, we prefer to see and present the things we identify ourselves with, respectable and valuable. So there is always kinda blanket over such stuff, just the ones honest (in themselves) and strong enough to see the reality talk. And the suffocated ones :D And if one feels suffocated, you cannot rely on everything s/he says, it may be..mm.. what was it?... I mean it may be emotionally deviated.

You cant rely on the feedback you see in this thread as well, I mean I wouldnt. But in time as they, these feedbacks, get together, ah-ha! then it may begin to mean a serious clue about the school. But I mean the comments part, not the data in the examples. For instance the out-date library would be a point to consider for me, or the lack of sufficiency of the lecturers in English is another point (teller was a US citizen). But the negative mood in the words may be totally personal.

Time tells ;)

oliver_01
03-29-2012, 03:14 PM
Oliver hi,

Actually these kind of negative feedbacks dont drop here that honestly and frequently, as long as the student doesnt really feel suffocated. Its human nature, we prefer to see and present the things we identify ourselves with, respectable and valuable. So there is always kinda blanket over such stuff, just the ones honest (in themselves) and strong enough to see the reality talk. And the suffocated ones :D And if one feels suffocated, you cannot rely on everything s/he says, it may be..mm.. what was it?... I mean it may be emotionally deviated.

You cant rely on the feedback you see in this thread as well, I mean I wouldnt. But in time as they, these feedbacks, get together, ah-ha! then it may begin to mean a serious clue about the school. But I mean the comments part, not the data in the examples. For instance the out-date library would be a point to consider for me, or the lack of sufficiency of the lecturers in English is another point (teller was a US citizen). But the negative mood in the words may be totally personal.

Time tells ;)

Hey bidiboom,

I knowww right..The quality of teaching is very important cuz I mean think about it 5 years of life ..you dont go to some pointless session for 5 years..I had an experience of rubbish teachers (with all respect to their personality) and to me its v crucial how am being taught ..
As for the out-dated library I guess internet compensate for all those sorta problems..and it might have just been improved by now since it was 5 years a few years ago
Also there is this rumor saying the drop out rate is a bit high for this uni, although I heard thats only to do with the failing languages tests

oliver_01
03-29-2012, 03:20 PM
You will find negative feedback about any school, even the best schools in the world, but this is ESPECIALLY the case in E-EU. It's important for potential students to look at all of the information available and make an educated determination about what is actually the case, what may be embellished, what may be related to an individual circumstance (and/or individual wimp factor), and what is complete and utter bullcrap.

Thats true but you dont hear any complain about teaching quality say from Oxford university or dunno maybe Harward
so you have some experience from charles uni you wanna share!?

devildoc8404
03-29-2012, 03:26 PM
Yes, you do. Oxford and Harvard are excellent schools, but there are even people who will piss and moan about their experiences THERE. Believe it. Some of it is that there are wieners who will complain about anything, no matter how good it is. But there is also bad teaching at any medical school. Yes, there is certainly great teaching to be had at Harvard, Hopkins, Stanford, etc... but there are also high-powered research wonks on faculty who garner tons of money in funding but seriously can't teach their way out of a wet paper bag. That goes for any big name institution.

No specific word on Charles from me, sorry. I'm not a student there, and there are others who can speak more authoritatively on the matter.

bidiboom
03-29-2012, 03:58 PM
... I heard thats only to do with the failing languages tests...

Would you please open this point some more? With "language tests" do you mean "Czech language tests"? They take some courses to learn Czech language, and they fail in the exams of those courses, is this what you've heard? Or ..?

... but you dont hear any complain about teaching quality say from Oxford university or dunno maybe Harward...

Actually life taught me not to close my eyes with deep trust:

1) In Time magazine I have read so long ago a criticism about Harvard with their crowded lecture halls and lack of interactivity between the lecturers and students. "The profs dont know your name, who you are, they come and go, and you cant really ask a question. Too big, too crowded." It was something like that.

2) Harvard and the likes use cheap foreign man-power for their research machinery. The ambitious and poor MDs from less fortunate lives/countries come and work like crazy for peanuts in labs for years, just to be able to find a way into the system and they actually go nowhere. The system of "research world" in US is based on this cheap man power.. this is another criticism from a Turkish resident in Cleveland Clinic.

Every hot girl has a rotten tooth somewhere inside, but we dont want to see it.. otherwise how would you kiss her arrghh! :D .. hahaha now you will remember this whenever you come close to a girl to kiss hahaha :D

oliver_01
04-01-2012, 07:47 PM
Would you please open this point some more? With "language tests" do you mean "Czech language tests"? They take some courses to learn Czech language, and they fail in the exams of those courses, is this what you've heard? Or ..?

Actually life taught me not to close my eyes with deep trust:

1) In Time magazine I have read so long ago a criticism about Harvard with their crowded lecture halls and lack of interactivity between the lecturers and students. "The profs dont know your name, who you are, they come and go, and you cant really ask a question. Too big, too crowded." It was something like that.

2) Harvard and the likes use cheap foreign man-power for their research machinery. The ambitious and poor MDs from less fortunate lives/countries come and work like crazy for peanuts in labs for years, just to be able to find a way into the system and they actually go nowhere. The system of "research world" in US is based on this cheap man power.. this is another criticism from a Turkish resident in Cleveland Clinic.

Every hot girl has a rotten tooth somewhere inside, but we dont want to see it.. otherwise how would you kiss her arrghh! :D .. hahaha now you will remember this whenever you come close to a girl to kiss hahaha :D

I almost agree with your second point! I would say dont get so hung up about that..I met so many people from oxford (which is as good as harvard-although not in uk) university and seen their life style ..its just they have v different prospective of life-thats what I like about them..Also so many people who cannot reach some stage tell you its not any good..
we are going off the tangent !!lol
The topic was about charles uni :) anyway we could get a few more people from

honzah
04-02-2012, 11:28 AM
Thats true but you dont hear any complain about teaching quality say from Oxford university or dunno maybe Harward

Making comparisons between Harvard & Charles University isn't practical on so many levels:

For example, school fees:
- Harvard Medical School: ~ $50,000 USD / year
- Charles University: $15,000 USD / year

Of course people complain about Harvard medical school, you're just in the wrong forum :)

oliver_01
04-02-2012, 02:16 PM
Making comparisons between Harvard & Charles University isn't practical on so many levels:

For example, school fees:
- Harvard Medical School: ~ $50,000 USD / year
- Charles University: $15,000 USD / year

Of course people complain about Harvard medical school, you're just in the wrong forum :)

Its like I go the top college and find out my teacher got a wrong idea on one question..I can complain
Now in comparison to that I go to a college and my teacher gets so many questions wrong ...doesnt know how to teach ! not experienced! the structure of teaching is crap..I can also complain but that would be v different to the one above if you see my point
Besides Charles is 300-350th in the world ranking ..so it makes me think what is it with this uni that is not in the say top 10 ranking
And again you are right you cannot compare those two uni, but you can certainly find out about the teaching quality ..thats what am trying to do..finding out whether I am prepared to spend so much money and 5 years time my life

honzah
04-02-2012, 03:02 PM
You should take university rankings with a grain of salt. Often they are heavily geared toward research and not teaching quality. Teaching quality is very subjective and it's a difficult attribute to rank. Universities with higher rankings are able to get more grants and have more money and therefore attract more talented researchers. These same researchers must 'teach' as part of their placement. Often they couldn't care less about undergraduate students and their classes are poorly run.

If you're wondering why Charles is ranked 300+ this would be due to history in the 20th century. I just had a look at a world ranking of Universities and I could not find one university in the top 200 which was a member of the former soviet bloc.

Assuming you are from the UK, I would suggest you study there. You will be taught predominantly by native English speakers. The financial health of the university will be greater than that you will find in Charles, putting at your disposal better resources. You will still find in the UK teachers who are hopeless, don't care, make mistakes and you can even complain about them. Mostly likely the school won't be able to do anything, universities are bureaucratic monsters. The voice of 1 undergraduate student against an experience professor usually doesn't go too far.

If you're looking for a medium budget medical school with high standards (annual exams, high failure rate) and a different experience in central Europe then maybe Charles is for you.

Ultimately, most of what you learn in medical school will come down to yourself and not the teachers.

oliver_01
04-03-2012, 05:42 AM
You should take university rankings with a grain of salt. Often they are heavily geared toward research and not teaching quality. Teaching quality is very subjective and it's a difficult attribute to rank. Universities with higher rankings are able to get more grants and have more money and therefore attract more talented researchers. These same researchers must 'teach' as part of their placement. Often they couldn't care less about undergraduate students and their classes are poorly run.

If you're wondering why Charles is ranked 300+ this would be due to history in the 20th century. I just had a look at a world ranking of Universities and I could not find one university in the top 200 which was a member of the former soviet bloc.

Assuming you are from the UK, I would suggest you study there. You will be taught predominantly by native English speakers. The financial health of the university will be greater than that you will find in Charles, putting at your disposal better resources. You will still find in the UK teachers who are hopeless, don't care, make mistakes and you can even complain about them. Mostly likely the school won't be able to do anything, universities are bureaucratic monsters. The voice of 1 undergraduate student against an experience professor usually doesn't go too far.

If you're looking for a medium budget medical school with high standards (annual exams, high failure rate) and a different experience in central Europe then maybe Charles is for you.

Ultimately, most of what you learn in medical school will come down to yourself and not the teachers.

Oh is it? so not spoon feeding much? thats the thing I know university studying is very different to say A-levels..and yeh I would stay in uk if I could....research is quite important too..like manchester here in UK (I think) is in the top for research ..uni gets so much fund to improve the uni too...
am not the best person to talk about history but what is that to do with the ranking in 2012?
You mentioned high failure rate..what is that about? cause I keep hearing that from people!!

honzah
04-03-2012, 06:25 AM
Oh is it? so not spoon feeding much? thats the thing I know university studying is very different to say A-levels..

Spoon feeding :) great phrase! This is exactly how students go wrong when they commence medical studies, expect to be spoon fed.

am not the best person to talk about history but what is that to do with the ranking in 2012?

40 years of communism rule took its tole on parts of central & eastern Europe. Pay a visit to Prague and then compare it to Vienna, you will know what I'm talking about.

You mentioned high failure rate..what is that about? cause I keep hearing that from people!!

From my perspective the high failure rate means that Charles is not willing to pass students just because they are fee paying students. They expect a minimum level of knowledge before they will allow you to enter the next year. There are many reasons for the high failure rate but in my opinion the two main ones are many students couldn't get into medicine and their own country and secondly they are not ready for the commitment required by medical school.

Interestingly, I met some 2nd year dentistry students from the 1st faculty and they told me that the dental students do not have a high drop-out rate in comparison to the general medicine students. Of course, they only take 20 students for dentistry as opposed to 120 for GM.

oliver_01
04-03-2012, 09:30 AM
Spoon feeding :) great phrase! This is exactly how students go wrong when they commence medical studies, expect to be spoon fed.

40 years of communism rule took its tole on parts of central & eastern Europe. Pay a visit to Prague and then compare it to Vienna, you will know what I'm talking about.

From my perspective the high failure rate means that Charles is not willing to pass students just because they are fee paying students. They expect a minimum level of knowledge before they will allow you to enter the next year. There are many reasons for the high failure rate but in my opinion the two main ones are many students couldn't get into medicine and their own country and secondly they are not ready for the commitment required by medical school.

Interestingly, I met some 2nd year dentistry students from the 1st faculty and they told me that the dental students do not have a high drop-out rate in comparison to the general medicine students. Of course, they only take 20 students for dentistry as opposed to 120 for GM.

Didnt quite get that..care to link me up with videos or something more explanatory !?

that is interesting to me too!! and didn't now its only 20 places there..

It would be appreciated if you pm the contact details of the dental student..so I could speak to them
I am sure they understand the importance of the decision I am making at the moment

honzah
04-03-2012, 10:26 AM
Didnt quite get that..care to link me up with videos or something more explanatory !?
Scorpions - Wind Of Change - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4RjJKxsamQ&ob=av3n)

that is interesting to me too!! and didn't now its only 20 places there..

It's on their webpage. You should do as much research as possible!

It would be appreciated if you pm the contact details of the dental student..so I could speak to them
I am sure they understand the importance of the decision I am making at the moment

Unfortunately, I do not have their contact details :(

1993jeannine
07-02-2012, 11:55 AM
i dont understand how im hearing all these bad horrible reviews, is valuemd not authentic, are most of these so called medical schools just scams?!

honzah
07-02-2012, 05:12 PM
i dont understand how im hearing all these bad horrible reviews?!

Have you read the entire thread? There was only 1 bad review (the first post in the forum) and this was hearsay. Interestingly, the original poster has been banned from valuemd.

is valuemd not authentic

Well, like any public online forum anybody can post here. So you always need to take what you read on any forum with a grain of salt. In this case, the original poster has never attended a European medical school.

, are most of these so called medical schools just scams

If you read the many other posts in this forum you'll know that Charles University in Prague has a very high drop-out rate. If they were scams, they would simply pass everyone to get as much money as they could.

epimed
07-02-2012, 06:33 PM
There are many reasons for the high failure rate but in my opinion the two main ones are many students couldn't get into medicine and their own country and secondly they are not ready for the commitment required by medical school.

Umm that's not the case in the majority of times. Just because they couldn't get into a med school in their own country does not qualify them to be uncommitted to the standards and requirements of succeeding in med school. We all know how ridiculously hard it to get into a UK or a Canadian medical school for example. And really, who knows, maybe these people met the requirements of their own country's med schools but it was a case of bad luck due to how extremely competitive it is.

And no I am not a student at Charles, but I find your reasoning of the high failure rate to be a bit ridiculous.

honzah
07-02-2012, 08:00 PM
Umm that's not the case in the majority of times.

Actually, it is for the majority of cases. Could you please tell me what you think the main reason is? I'm intrigued.

Just because they couldn't get into a med school in their own country does not qualify them to be uncommitted to the standards and requirements of succeeding in med school.

No it does not mean that everybody who is rejected is incapable, but in many cases the rejection from their own country was a reflection of lack of work that they put into preparing for the entrance exam. Usually this student brings the same work ethic to Prague, gets accepted due to the easier entrance exam and later on fails, resulting in a high drop out rate.

Coincidentally, it was just yesterday I was talking to some 6th year students at Charles and they were telling me how they thought the entrance exam to get in here was misleading due to the fact that it was not difficult enough to prevent people who "do not have the ability to complete Medical school".

Personally, I don't mind the fact the entrance exam is easier here. It gives more people the opportunity to have a chance at medicine whereas countries such as the UK and Canada with their difficult entrance exams preclude some people from entry who may have excelled at medicine. At the same time, an easier entrance exam allows students who are not ready for the commitment required by medical school to gain entry. These same students then fail, resulting in a high-drop out rate.

We all know how ridiculously hard it to get into a UK or a Canadian medical school for example. And really, who knows, maybe these people met the requirements of their own country's med schools but it was a case of bad luck due to how extremely competitive it is.

I can assure you that the students who were accepted into medicine in their home countries (very few of the students here in Prague) are the ones who really excel here in Prague. I know a girl in 6th year from the 2nd faculty, who was doing dentistry in UK but wanted to change to GM and didn't want to wait a year to do the change. I know that she always passes her exams here on her first attempt (we get three attempts at each exam here). Likewise, I know a German student at the 1st faculty studying dentistry who transferred from Germany for his remaining 4 years and likewise he is brilliant too.

And no I am not a student at Charles, but I find your reasoning of the high failure rate to be a bit ridiculous.

I am at Charles University and I know many students from the 1st/2nd/3rd faculty and I know many examples to support my reasoning.

epimed
07-02-2012, 08:21 PM
So they don't try to fail you because of money? (no sarcasm intended)

honzah
07-03-2012, 01:30 AM
It's quite the opposite, sometimes they give students a 4th chance at an exam (you're only suppose to have 3) because they WANT students to pass. Each student pays around 300k CZK (give or take depending on the faculty) so it is a great source of income for these schools.

I've read many posts on this forum on how certain schools in Slovakia and some schools further east of CZ basically pass all of their foreign students because they don't want to lose this source of income.

shrey
07-03-2012, 10:30 AM
If I could shed some light on this matter, Honzah is quite right about the high attrition rate. I've been here for 5 years and I've seen tons of people come and go during the first 3 years. The professors of the English parallel are quite generous (at least when to compared to those teaching the Czech parallel). They are "very" fair and really do want to pass their students but if you ask any single of them, they're not prepared to "break" the regulations of the faculty. A certain amount of knowledge is required before passing on to the next year and if one doesn't come close to that, they're just not going to make it period.

I've known a lot of British medical students who came here as they couldn't get it back home (and yes, I understand how competitive it is in the UK), but these students really need a reality check. They underestimate the level of education and in return, pay the price for their actions (or as the case is, lack of action.)

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.