PDA

View Full Version : Pecs Fall 2012 Students?

doctor001
03-10-2012, 12:19 AM
Hi, I will be attending Pecs in the fall . Im from the US... anyone else?

Why im attending Pecs...

1. I have a degree in biology but grades are not that great so chances for caribs and US medical school is low and I do not want to take the mcats lol.

2. the experience.

3. Its much cheaper to attend there, like a lot cheaper than the caribs or US. experience something new.

the_red_devil
03-10-2012, 06:08 AM
If I may ask, why did you choose Pecs over the other medical schools in E-Eu?

doctor001
03-10-2012, 11:45 PM
I hate poland for some reason so I didnt look into it. Charles in Czech i considered but its in the capital Prague (prostitute center i hear lol) and I wanted somewhere more peaceful and relaxed with less distractions. Debrecen, from what i hear, accepts way too many students than it can take care of... so between szeged, semmelweis and pecs i chose pecs because its california approved. its also approved to get US federal loans (semmelweis and szeged are not). pecs has smaller class sizes so it means I get more attention from professors, administration etc. pecs english medical program is a good program that started in 1980s... i also searched for graduates of pecs and they are practicing in the US... semmelweis is also a nice and respectable university ( you should consider it) but its in the capital which equals distractions for me. i want somewhere boring where studying would be more fun than anything else lol (I wasted the last 5 years partying, i could have made it to a US med school so I learned my lesson). if you are worried about price, pecs is the most afforable in terms of tuition and living... all hungarians medical school are standardized by the hungarian education system (exact same brochures) so I think it wouldnt make a big difference where you go. medical school is medical school wherever you go (especially in E-EU), you will pass but you just have to study a lot. most people here talk about their own experiences with the schools so you cant really take their word for it. In the end it all depends on you. There are people who have graduated from all of these schools. That means you should be able to also, you just have to work hard!. hope this helps in your search if you are searching. good luck!

bidiboom
03-11-2012, 02:16 AM
Doctor2017 hi, Hungary has some serious problems:
http://www.valuemd.com/hungarian-medical-schools/221598-constitution-schools.html

To my knowledge, Hungary is not getting fund from EU anymore. Its getting rather introversive and with that constitution and state of mind, I wouldnt feel in Hungary a stable environment to have a long term education.

...I hate poland for some reason...

I consider a school in Poland for myself, so may I ask your reasons, if its not private or you dont prefer to keep in yourself?

By the way, there are some schools in Turkey, one of them CMB approved (Istanbul-based Cerrahpasa), and very economic. They are economic (highest tuition is about $3.000) because they are not for-profit, contrarily they are compensated by government, because those programs are native-student oriented, not intl-students, so the quality is higher than many intl.student oriented English med programs in the region. They have a few number of seats for foreign students, you can have some info here, if you feel interested in:
http://www.valuemd.com/main-european-medical-schools-forum/221810-ankara-istanbul-medical-schools.html

Dulgar
03-11-2012, 04:59 AM
Doctor2017 hi, Hungary has some serious problems:
http://www.valuemd.com/hungarian-medical-schools/221598-constitution-schools.html

To my knowledge, Hungary is not getting fund from EU anymore. Its getting rather introversive and with that constitution and state of mind, I wouldnt feel in Hungary a stable environment to have a long term education.

I consider a school in Poland for myself, so may I ask your reasons, if its not private or you dont prefer to keep in yourself?

By the way, there are some schools in Turkey, one of them CMB approved (Istanbul-based Cerrahpasa), and very economic. They are economic (highest tuition is about $3.000) because they are not for-profit, contrarily they are compensated by government, because those programs are native-student oriented, not intl-students, so the quality is higher than many intl.student oriented English med programs in the region. They have a few number of seats for foreign students, you can have some info here, if you feel interested in:
http://www.valuemd.com/main-european-medical-schools-forum/221810-ankara-istanbul-medical-schools.html

I haven't felt any difference since Hungary started having problems with EU, I don't think it's going to affect international students, except for maybe the tuition increase for new students and repeaters that we're having in Debrecen at least.

A question, how come you're considering Poland and not Turkey? I'm curious. Do they have high entrance req?

bidiboom
03-11-2012, 07:20 AM
I haven't felt any difference since Hungary started having problems with EU, I don't think it's going to affect international students, except for maybe the tuition increase for new students and repeaters that we're having in Debrecen at least.

Dulgar there happened a dropp from loan problem for all of the Hungarian schools, remember? It was with a great probability about a political positioning of US against of Hungary. In general with greater tension between countries, these kind of cooperations, ties get apart one by one. This is a risk if you are in a country they has tense relations with the countries it needs to cooperate. Besides the state of mind of government is so unrealistic that it cant be corrected or changed easily, I mean it looks from a distance that way. You may not feel any change, and all of a sudden the next year loans may drop, new investments may stop and tuition fees may get higher. You say, now what?!
But of course this is only a fear, not futurism :D

A question, how come you're considering Poland and not Turkey? I'm curious. Do they have high entrance req?

Ahh! You the foreigners are how lucky! Let me explain the case : This year over 1.860.000 prospectives are taking national university entrace exam (its central here) and there are only 9.000 seats in all of the med schools. And this number includes the low-quality ones as well. But the quality ones are really good, not as much as Harvard, but their graduates are competing with Harvard grads in professional platform, that good!

As for me, I have totally another way of life, my age, lifestyle, responsibilities, anything in my life is not proper for me to get prepared for that test and take it. My story is too different and irrelevant. With a logical approach, instead of making investment in this path, its more pragmatic to follow the other and go abroad for me.

But for the foreign students its a serious opportunity to be able to get in some of the Turkish med schools without taking that national unnecessary test (which is full of really very unnecessary subjects, just to eliminate the test-takers!), but their own tests, like SAT, ACT, Abitur etc. They are quality, in English, and tuitions are max.$3.000 and I myself cant get in!

bastibacak
04-29-2012, 08:32 AM
Just to make a quick note, I agree with you bidiboom in many parts, but in my opinion, an only-English-speaking student (I mean if you dont know Turkish) might have VERY hard times to cope with many of the abovementioned English programs in Turkey. As far as I ve seen Erasmus students coming to the Cerrahpasa English med program, most of the classes are not taught in English at all.. I have heard from Erasmus students that professors do not even want to answer their questions in English, let alone they speak English in class. So, many Erasmus people complain alot about this.

Also, if you think that education is problematic in the Eastern European countries such as Hungary, I think you would encounter very similar problems in MOST Turkish med schools as well. In terms of administrative, research and student-advising concerns Turkish schools might have highly lacking infastructure as well..

Again, I am not saying Cerrahpaşa or Çapa or any Turkish school is particularly bad, in fact they have a great student and professor potential, I am just saying that they may be lacking the appropriate levels of opportunities a normal med school should basically provide.

Just saying

ahuss101
05-02-2012, 09:45 AM
Hi, congrats for getting into pecs, i have the exam and interview for pecs and szeged for medicine. Could you please let know what kind of questions were asked in the interview and exam, what topics to really focus on. Thanks.

Hi, I will be attending Pecs in the fall . Im from the US... anyone else?

Why im attending Pecs...

1. I have a degree in biology but grades are not that great so chances for caribs and US medical school is low and I do not want to take the mcats lol.

2. the experience.

3. Its much cheaper to attend there, like a lot cheaper than the caribs or US. experience something new.

SebastianSh
05-03-2012, 01:12 PM
Congratulations on getting in! I'm doing the exam and interview on june 16th here in Sweden.

Any advice? The questions seem quite straight forward.

I have a question though; Why Pécs and not Budapest or Debrecen? I've read that the pre-clinical is better in Pécs and the clinical is better in Budapest.
Anyone here can confirm?

HillenitaPT
05-18-2012, 09:53 AM
Hi SebastianSh, if you want to know more about the type of questions that can be asked in the exam send me a private message. I can send you some practice exams I have. I´ve already taken the exam and passed it and have been accepted in pécs (and semmelweis and szeged as well). Bests

doctor001
05-18-2012, 12:22 PM
Hey, I did not have to take the entrance exam because I have a biology degree... But I chose pecs because I like the small town vs big city and the medical school and the whole city received money to be upgraded in 2010. I think something like 50 million euros for the school. So I think it is as good as Debrecen or Semmelweis. Also the latest records from 2009 show that students who took the USMLE had around and 80% pass rate so I think that's good too... But I don't think it really matters in Hungary which School you attend. They all have similar structure and curriculum. Okay... Good luck with your test.

SebastianSh
05-18-2012, 12:43 PM
Hey, I did not have to take the entrance exam because I have a biology degree... But I chose pecs because I like the small town vs big city and the medical school and the whole city received money to be upgraded in 2010. I think something like 50 million euros for the school. So I think it is as good as Debrecen or Semmelweis. Also the latest records from 2009 show that students who took the USMLE had around and 80% pass rate so I think that's good too... But I don't think it really matters in Hungary which School you attend. They all have similar structure and curriculum. Okay... Good luck with your test.

Thank you for the replay!

I'm thinking of Semmelweis and Budapest. Szeged is cheaper, and according to my searching, is a bit easier the pre-clin years. Not as strict as Semmelweis in regards to anatomy.
Plus, I heard they have Kentucky Friend Chicken in Szeged.

Pécs seems like a very small city with not a lot of things to do. Am I wrong in assuming?

The test in Sweden is the 16th, and I will have to make up my mind until then. I'm terrified since I haven't been in Szeged or Pécs (all my opinions are based from what I have heard other students say).

doctor001
05-18-2012, 12:56 PM
Yeah pecs is a smaller city. I have searched and the city has bars and a few nightclubs, cinema... but yeah it's something you would expect from a small city...Semmelweis would be better choice if you want a bigger busier city.

VJB328
06-19-2012, 01:41 AM
Hello Doctor001, I will also be attending medical school in Pecs this fall. =)
From where in the U.S. are you?
--Vivian

Snapsnap
06-22-2012, 07:36 AM
As a student of Pecs university I would have to say that yes it is a small place but it's a university town & great. I come from a major city & to be honest I don't think I could study so well with distractions of a big place. There is always something going on & I have yet to be bored here. At the end of the day you are studying to become doctors, and believe me, you will study like nothing before if you attend here. There is no time to waste to do other things. People who don't work hard here, don't last very long!

Midm
06-27-2012, 08:24 AM
I got admitted to Pécs university and Szeged university. I don't really know which one to choose, but we might see each other this fall!

ahura
07-07-2012, 11:09 AM
Hi guys
I’ve been accepted to pecs for study general medicine this academic year. The problem is the deadline for paying first semester tuition that they told i must pay until 12th July. I am waiting for warsaw medical school acceptance.
Is there anyone that would help me in this matter?
Thanks in advance

Snapsnap
07-07-2012, 11:44 AM
Are you sure it's not a deposit you need to pay ?? I'm pretty sure 1st semester payment is due first week of term. But email Klara at the student service centre ...English programme & she's fantastic & really helpful! You'll find her address on the uni website!

ahura
07-07-2012, 12:26 PM
thanks var!
i have sent her many emails but she did not respond at all!!
var!i would like to know about the range of freshman's age students at pecs.
i am 31 years old,am i pretty old among freshman students!?

Snapsnap
07-07-2012, 02:22 PM
That's strange as she is usually very punctual. But graduation was today so maybe she's been a little busy. I know there's another woman in the office who I don't consider very good. I'll take a look at my files & see if there is any info on my payment details. The age varies .. Some , such as Spanish can be 18 but then there are the older scale such as late 20's, 30's & even older. They are smaller in numbers you can imagine but most of us forget each others ages after a while !

Ps - just checked. My acceptance letter last year said I had to pay up full within 2 weeks of my letter areiving. But if this was not possible I had to pay a fully non refundable deposit of 750$ & had until the 1st of September to pay the rest!

doctor001
07-10-2012, 07:01 PM
Hey ahura, congrats on getting in. I had a deadline too but I missed it because I did not have the money but i have been talking to a person... eszter zubotics and she said I could just pay it later... also like VAR said you can pay the non refundable deposit. its$800 now ... and pay the rest in september I dont think they are strict on the deadline. they just want to know if you will be going. I am 25 so i am kind of old too but i imagine most of the freshman class with be early 20's and even 18 -19 year old... like VAR said . where are you coming from? ...

at643
07-29-2012, 01:54 AM
Hi all! I will also be attending Medical school at Pecs Uni starting Sep 2012. I am 30 years old.

Have you guys also received the pdf file regarding Freshmen Camp at Lake Balaton? anyone planning to attend? would be nice to meet some fellow students over there before semester starts!

Snapsnap
07-30-2012, 12:15 PM
The balaton weekend would be fun. My friend went last year and loved it. I was asked to help this year & be a leader but I've decided to go to Germany instead. Just a tip but the first month or so there are a lot of activity so make sure to join in to make new friends & meet people from older years. The wine trip & city race are a must :)

asianstudent
06-16-2015, 09:54 AM
I got admitted to Pécs university and Szeged university. I don't really know which one to choose, but we might see each other this fall!

Hello there,

May I ask which university did you choose in the end? I am going to visit the cities later on but which university would you all choose to study medicine in? Pecs or Szeged? :confused:
Thanks a lot

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.