PDA

View Full Version : Thinking SMU

Untel
03-06-2012, 12:13 AM
Hi, I've read a lot of posts here and I feel confuse. There is so many pros and cons. In general the tone is pretty negative toward SMU. I understand there is a lot of attrition drop out and delay in the termination of the program in most of the Caribbean schools as SMU. I know SMU is California DISapproved, but they are many unapproved schools and people still get residencies while graduating from those schools. I'm thinking here Aureus, AUSOM, Spartan, Xavier etc.

How is SMU worst than them since SMU has NY and Florida approvals and they dont?

My main question if we still get residency while attending SMU in 35states/50 and Canada why is SMU that bad?

Thx

diabeticmedic
03-06-2012, 07:05 AM
1. SMU has no loans. You'll have to pay for everything from your own, or your family's, pockets. (The "big 3", SGU, Ross, AUC, offer title 4 federal loans). When the loans were lost in 2009, the school was dealing with the worst, bottom of the barrel, highest interest rate private lender in the world. When even THEY didn't want to deal with SMU but they would deal with other schools, something REALLY stunk. The loan companies review attrition rates and people who default on loans. Many people must have been defaulting.

2. The disapproval you mentioned. There is no guarantee you will be able to practice in 35 states. When I started at SMU, there were 6 states that followed CA's list. While I was on the island, it jumped to 15. Who knows how many more. (The "big 5"- SGU, Ross, AUC, Saba, and AUA allow you to practice in all 50).

3. There's been a lot of talk on here about huge failure rates among people on the island. I cannot attest to that since I left the island in 2008. I can however tell you that of the 97 people that I started with, I could only pick 11 people from the match list...meaning that of the 97 people I started with who should have matched into a residency last year, ELEVEN succeeded. I have no idea where the others are.

Ok, ok, this is long enough. Don't go to one of the lower schools. SGU, Ross, AUC will give you title 4 loans, practice in all 50 states, and they are 99.999% guaranteed not to close any time soon. SGU, Ross, AUC, Saba, and AUA will let you practice in all 50 states. Why would you want to go anywhere else? Grades low? MCAT low? Retake it. Take come city/county county college courses and up your GPA. Do a post bacc program. ANYTHING to avoid the other schools.

Will you get a residency in the lower tier schools? Sure you can! You can also survive being hit by a bus.

And I must emphasize, I am not a hater, I was not kicked out of SMU, they did nothing wrong to me. They gave me a great chance to get going, pass step 1 on the first try, and transfer out to a better school when the loans were lost. I am trying to give you advice as someone who has been through it. I am telling you what I should have done from the start. That said, I am thankful for the chance SMU gave me. In retrospect, I should have gone with one of the big 3 from the start.

As far as those other schools you mentioned, please, don't even send them the money for the application; they don't deserve your hard-earned $$.

beachfan112
03-08-2012, 10:31 PM
Will you get a residency in the lower tier schools? Sure you can! You can also survive being hit by a bus.

Wow. Well said.

Everyone on this forum will try to tell you that carib schools are what you make of them, which is true. If you work hard, you can succeed. But SMU will make the road as difficult for you as possible. Don't put your academic future in the hands of a school that will do everything it can to fail you.

SMU has (in no particular order): an owner who cares only to make money and fails students to get more tuition $$, a Dean with questionable morals and ethics, a woefully inept Orlando office, a rented office space with no permanent campus, NO LOANS, teachers who harassed students for their personal beliefs, teachers on insane power trips intent on humiliating students, unethical and mysterious standards that vary from student to student, rampant drug use (Adderall, Ritalin, Marijuana, etc), extremely unhappy student population, unstable curriculum with constant changes, rising tuition costs, extremely expensive living costs, rumors of cheating, and well...you get the picture.

SMU is not a good choice.

dailybasis28
03-17-2012, 03:31 PM
Hi, I've read a lot of posts here and I feel confuse. There is so many pros and cons. In general the tone is pretty negative toward SMU. I understand there is a lot of attrition drop out and delay in the termination of the program in most of the Caribbean schools as SMU. I know SMU is California DISapproved, but they are many unapproved schools and people still get residencies while graduating from those schools. I'm thinking here Aureus, AUSOM, Spartan, Xavier etc.

How is SMU worst than them since SMU has NY and Florida approvals and they dont?

My main question if we still get residency while attending SMU in 35states/50 and Canada why is SMU that bad?

Thx

dont THINK TWICE and ever go to this school. if you already have a negative vibe and have read a lot of bad things about this school, then you should go with you gut and know that people dont come on here to screw around with ValueMD. Go to another school or do something else with your life. SMU should not be a choice at all.

knightstoremember
03-19-2012, 08:24 PM
I've talked to 8 former students so far.......not all here.......7 suggested I go elsewhere......I am accepted at SMU, but also just got into AMA, AUA, Windsor, I'm headed to one of those three. I'm not down with a school that is not providing financial aid and who will change criteria to grades and education endlessly. Also, every student I have talked to told me that more than half their class fails out by the time they get to 5th semester! Before step 1! OUCH. And I heard 50 % is more on the generous side. maybe closer to 60-65%?

Untel
03-19-2012, 09:23 PM
I was really interested to SMU for the tuitions, the length of the program, the list of people that got into residency and because of the island that seems really nice.

Since I might stay longer and pay much more than what planned, to me the choice is obvious.

With all the comments and my searches on this forum, I'll pass my turn.
So bad for SMU.

kishkash186
03-19-2012, 11:43 PM
It must seem odd that every time a new semester is about to start you get people creating new accounts just to bad mouth the school. It's starting to look like some marketing campaign.

beachfan112
03-20-2012, 12:19 AM
It must seem odd that every time a new semester is about to start you get people creating new accounts just to bad mouth the school. It's starting to look like some marketing campaign.

We're students, whose daily lives are dominated by schoolwork. You think we wake up one day and say, "Hey, I'd like to devote what little precious time I have to devise a marketing campaign against a school I love?" Nope! What has inspired many students to return to the forums is a deep sense of injustice and being wronged by SMU, and the desire to prevent other people from getting caught in the same horrible situation. We've been complacent for too long, and now, students are finally speaking out against the corruption of SMU.

What's far more interesting to me is that SMU actually does go on these forums secretly, or has students go on for them, to try to bolster their reputation. I've caught two different users now who were clearly affliliated officially with SMU, yet refused to identify themselves as school officials. Once I called them out on their profile pages, they both stopped posting. SMU is deliberately avoiding putting any officials on these forums because they know how bad the public thrashing would be. Instead, a supposedly honorable and professional institution is slinking behind anonymous usernames to try to discredit naysayers and boost their own enrollment. The Dean of Basic Sciences as well as the Dean of Student Affairs do monitor these forums, and its sadly no surprise that they are okay with dishonesty.

Untel
03-20-2012, 12:20 AM
Hi kishkash186
They are real people thinking on attending SMU. They are real people trying to gather information on SMU. The tone of this forum is quite negative toward SMU. Maybe the people that have positive thinking on SMU just donít bother to post or they are no positive thinking. My question was posted for 18days, if you had something positive to say about SMU, why didnít you say it? The balance is actually on the side of ...not going to SMU...

Why should I go with SMU despite all we can read on this forum? Is it a good idea to attend SMU?

Iím willing to pay 200k and to work hard to earn that degree but is the school biased? Will they make everything they can to have extra funds from me by helping me to fail? Am I going to have my rotations easily or will I have to wait and fight for them. Am I going to get a residency spot if I graduate from SMU? Am I missing something if I decline SMUís offer?
Whether I am truly interested in SMU or not is irrelevant, these questions are being asked by most prospective SMU students. Your 2 cents might help a real fellow to decide.

Let us assume this fellow is me...

Share with us.
Thx

bird66
03-20-2012, 02:55 AM
The Dean of Basic Sciences as well as the Dean of Student Affairs do monitor these forums, and its sadly no surprise that they are okay with dishonesty.
http://www.nling.info/g.gif

dailybasis28
03-22-2012, 05:06 PM
The Dean of Basic Sciences as well as the Dean of Student Affairs do monitor these forums, and its sadly no surprise that they are okay with dishonesty.
http://www.nling.info/g.gif

That is pretty sad and very pathetic that they make time for that. If they are the Deans of a medical school, I would think that they have more important things to do. People are going to come on here as much as they want and bash the school as much as they want if that is the case. Not just that people are going to talk trash about the school even outside of these forums. Therefore they are going to have to stop lots of people just to make ends meet. I could care less if they going to sit here reading my posts or anyone else's. Even if they did know who I am, what are they going to do? It is not like the Deans can arrest these people or have the police show up at their houses. And is it not obvious by now that they have their own little pets coming on to this forum sticking up for the school and firing back at people who talk bad about SMU? No one in their right mind even if they did have a success story from SMU would actually say good things about this school. If the Deans or their puppets are reading this right now, get a life!

LifeMD10
03-24-2012, 01:14 PM
Ok, ok, this is long enough. Don't go to one of the lower schools. SGU, Ross, AUC will give you title 4 loans, practice in all 50 states, and they are 99.999% guaranteed not to close any time soon. SGU, Ross, AUC, Saba, and AUA will let you practice in all 50 states. Why would you want to go anywhere else? Grades low? MCAT low? Retake it. Take come city/county county college courses and up your GPA. Do a post bacc program.

This is the mindset a potential student applying to the carib should have. As far as SMU specifically, I can speak on the current atmosphere as Im a current student.

The admin made a significant overhaul two semesters ago in the way grading and testing were implemented (read: more challenging). People passing the NBME was ridiculously low every semester, just from word of mouth, around 10% of the class. So these changes were necessary and long overdue.

The problem arose when they decided to administer all these changes on all semesters immediately. This had a negative effect on all semesters, especially 4th and 5th semester students. It effectively failed out roughly half the student body (read: cleansing process). If the changes had been rolled out, or started from the incoming class there wouldn't be this much current hate. I can only assume the school was hoping to get faster results by doing it this way.

As far as the teachers, the majority of them here are good to great as far as teaching the material and being available (small class size helps). The main issues of the school currently, and from what friends in previous years have stated, is the way things are administered/implemented during basic sciences. People have had only good things to say about clinicals and residency matches amongst my friends and friends of friends have been great.

There has been a lot of negativity on this board for a long time. Some very disgruntled former students. But a lot of it I believe, is because of lack of adequate communication between admin and the student body.

This wasn't an endorsement for or a knock on the school. Just an objective student perspective, since there are so few on here.

Untel
03-24-2012, 01:24 PM
Cool,
It's nice to have a current student shedding some light.
Thx

shades mccool
03-24-2012, 02:36 PM
This is the mindset a potential student applying to the carib should have. As far as SMU specifically, I can speak on the current atmosphere as Im a current student.

The admin made a significant overhaul two semesters ago in the way grading and testing were implemented (read: more challenging). People passing the NBME was ridiculously low every semester, just from word of mouth, around 10% of the class. So these changes were necessary and long overdue.

The reason only 10% pass the NBME is because the other 90% have no business in medical school. If we had better quality of students, you would not have to change the curriculum all the time. The changes should start with admissions and being more selective with acceptances, the only problem is we can't afford to be selective in this economy. The majority of people you hear on here venting are the ones that could not hack it (AKA the ones that should not have been admitted).

thxleave
03-24-2012, 02:57 PM
The reason only 10% pass the NBME is because the other 90% have no business in medical school. If we had better quality of students, you would not have to change the curriculum all the time. The changes should start with admissions and being more selective with acceptances, the only problem is we can't afford to be selective in this economy. The majority of people you hear on here venting are the ones that could not hack it (AKA the ones that should not have been admitted).

Sounds like a Catch-22. They need all the students they can get for financial reasons to survive. Yet, accepting everyone is going to hurt them in long run. High attrition and angry students going to kill the school, as less people will apply and matriculate.

shades mccool
03-24-2012, 05:14 PM
Sounds like a Catch-22. They need all the students they can get for financial reasons to survive. Yet, accepting everyone is going to hurt them in long run. High attrition and angry students going to kill the school, as less people will apply and matriculate.
I agree. These people who are butt hurt need to realize, they are paying for the opportunity to go to medical school, there is no guarantee they will pass, that part is up to the student's ability.

beachfan112
03-24-2012, 06:52 PM
The majority of people you hear on here venting are the ones that could not hack it (AKA the ones that should not have been admitted).

Not true. The ones who shouldn't be in med school are the ones out partying every other night at Calicos or Elements. They don't bother coming on the forums. The students who are on here are frustrated because the school's policies and desire to fail students is screwing with our grades and our futures. They care about their grades, cuz they're damn good students. And yes, the lack of communication/openness is a HUGE problem. The dean is about as unfriendly as you can get, changes are implemented abruptly with no notice, professors are frustrated, and exams are made harder and harder each block against the professor's wishes.

dailybasis28
03-24-2012, 10:58 PM

Every incoming class has been getting smaller and smaller. I think people out there are starting to become aware of how much of piece of crap SMU really is. People giving their input about this school on this forum and simply word of mouth which spreads like a virus has contributed to that. If this continues, the next incoming class in the next 5 semesters will probably be down to 5 students and thats when SMU will suffer. This school is gonna get it when they dont see it coming.

This school has come to a point of desperation where they have people trying to defend them on this forum. Perhaps thats why this school, Dr K and Dr B in particular, probably told people like Shades Mccool, Azulpanther, and kishkash to talk out of their butts and try to ward off people who state the harsh realities of SMU. It is obvious you all hold hands and chill with Dr K or Dr B or anyone else in the superior positions of SMU, so they will scratch your backs if you scratch theirs.

Just own up and stop trying to stick up for this school because this so called organization knows they shot themselves in the foot. Hanging by a thread...!

I probably wont say much else from here on out because arguing with you puppets is a waste. Good luck to the worthless posters as I mentioned a few lines ago in this very post AND YOUR PRECIOUS LITTLE SCHOOL CALLED ST. MATTHEWS UNIVERSITY. Tell the chancellor, board of trustees, Dean of Clinical Sciences, Dean of Basic Sciences, and anyone else in the upper position that I said hello...

kishkash186
03-24-2012, 11:36 PM
.........................:clapover:

Dr Rich
04-07-2012, 12:18 AM
Every incoming class has been getting smaller and smaller. I think people out there are starting to become aware of how much of piece of crap SMU really is. People giving their input about this school on this forum and simply word of mouth which spreads like a virus has contributed to that. If this continues, the next incoming class in the next 5 semesters will probably be down to 5 students and thats when SMU will suffer. This school is gonna get it when they dont see it coming.

This school has come to a point of desperation where they have people trying to defend them on this forum. Perhaps thats why this school, Dr K and Dr B in particular, probably told people like Shades Mccool, Azulpanther, and kishkash to talk out of their butts and try to ward off people who state the harsh realities of SMU. It is obvious you all hold hands and chill with Dr K or Dr B or anyone else in the superior positions of SMU, so they will scratch your backs if you scratch theirs.

Just own up and stop trying to stick up for this school because this so called organization knows they shot themselves in the foot. Hanging by a thread...!

I probably wont say much else from here on out because arguing with you puppets is a waste.

You should stay and continue to confront them. Because they really get angry, and some of those worthless posters as you call them are those to whom you attribute the fall of the school. So don't let them off the hook. They seem to love the bait :rolleyes:

thxleave
04-07-2012, 12:42 AM
You should stay and continue to confront them. Because they really get angry, and some of those worthless posters as you call them are those to whom you attribute the fall of the school. So don't let them off the hook. They seem to love the bait :rolleyes:

He just made a new post where he praised the deans of the school. Check his recent posts.

Untel
04-07-2012, 12:55 AM
This war between the pro-SMU and the against-SMU is really something. All the cons SMU need is to make the prospective student doubt about SMU. I must say they are doing great.

Window Colour
04-07-2012, 01:38 PM
Indeed, shame the school's method of counter this problem is by simply ignoring it and possibly having staff as pro-smu users, unlike solving it by addressing the problems in the school itself like a normal university would (but people here would certainly argue if SMU can really be considered a university now).

NelumG
04-10-2012, 06:07 PM
I've talked to 8 former students so far.......not all here.......7 suggested I go elsewhere......I am accepted at SMU, but also just got into AMA, AUA, Windsor, I'm headed to one of those three. I'm not down with a school that is not providing financial aid and who will change criteria to grades and education endlessly. Also, every student I have talked to told me that more than half their class fails out by the time they get to 5th semester! Before step 1! OUCH. And I heard 50 % is more on the generous side. maybe closer to 60-65%?

Hi If you have got acceptance to AUA why bother about any other place as AUA has California Approval which means that your MD is approved in 50 states in the USA.Since the California Approval AUA is considered by the majority as a top tier Caribbean Medical School.

Go to AUA Good Luck :clapover:

NelumG
04-10-2012, 06:18 PM
1. SMU has no loans. You'll have to pay for everything from your own, or your family's, pockets. (The "big 3", SGU, Ross, AUC, offer title 4 federal loans). When the loans were lost in 2009, the school was dealing with the worst, bottom of the barrel, highest interest rate private lender in the world. When even THEY didn't want to deal with SMU but they would deal with other schools, something REALLY stunk. The loan companies review attrition rates and people who default on loans. Many people must have been defaulting.

2. The disapproval you mentioned. There is no guarantee you will be able to practice in 35 states. When I started at SMU, there were 6 states that followed CA's list. While I was on the island, it jumped to 15. Who knows how many more. (The "big 5"- SGU, Ross, AUC, Saba, and AUA allow you to practice in all 50).

3. There's been a lot of talk on here about huge failure rates among people on the island. I cannot attest to that since I left the island in 2008. I can however tell you that of the 97 people that I started with, I could only pick 11 people from the match list...meaning that of the 97 people I started with who should have matched into a residency last year, ELEVEN succeeded. I have no idea where the others are.

Ok, ok, this is long enough. Don't go to one of the lower schools. SGU, Ross, AUC will give you title 4 loans, practice in all 50 states, and they are 99.999% guaranteed not to close any time soon. SGU, Ross, AUC, Saba, and AUA will let you practice in all 50 states. Why would you want to go anywhere else? Grades low? MCAT low? Retake it. Take come city/county county college courses and up your GPA. Do a post bacc program. ANYTHING to avoid the other schools.

And I must emphasize, I am not a hater, I was not kicked out of SMU, they did nothing wrong to me. They gave me a great chance to get going, pass step 1 on the first try, and transfer out to a better school when the loans were lost. I am trying to give you advice as someone who has been through it. I am telling you what I should have done from the start. That said, I am thankful for the chance SMU gave me. In retrospect, I should have gone with one of the big 3 from the start.

As far as those other schools you mentioned, please, don't even send them the money for the application; they don't deserve your hard-earned $$.

If you could only count 11 people who matched from your class of 97 how can SMU Match list contain at least over 150 names for the last 3-4 years as there are only 3 batches of students per year ? Does this mean that the Match List for this year that had approximately 200 is comprised of batches for at least 5 years?

docblin
04-11-2012, 06:43 AM
Well yes about 200 matched as posted on the SMU website. I know 5 personally. So this is a fairly accurate posting of the SMU match. Maybe there are issues with the administration, with the basic science professors, filling out evaluations, finding clinical spots, passing the Steps but than how do you account for the matches?? These are the young doctors who studied, struggled and finally succeeded. Congratulations! Instead of whining and complaining GO STUDY. This is an opportunity to become a physician. If you do not like SMU than transfer, don't come, seek other schools. But as of today there are 200 +/- that did it in 2012, the numbers do not lie.
If you ask me if I would have done this path with SMU today, I would say no and send my son to AUA, AUC, ROSS, SGU. Or better yet a DO school. But if you have chosen SMU than either work you *** off or transfer (if you can) or quit.

MedStudent_BK
04-25-2012, 03:58 PM
Dont listen to the people who say negative things about SMU. Every school has its problems, SMU gives you an opportunity. Its in a great location, grand cayman, and you can get any residency if you work hard and do well. People who say negative things on this forum are those who do not succeed because they are either not hard working enough, or not intelligent enough to take what they learn and apply it. I'm a current SMU student, and I love my school. The material and workload is sometimes insanely challenging, but I know that I have to go through ALL of it, understand ALL of it, and master ALL of it. I don't blame anyone other than myself if I don't do as well as I want on exams, because I know its my own work that gets my grades. So far I have done very well and do very well on the NBME Shelf exams. You have to make the most of what you have, and the people who complain on this website obviously dont have what it takes (in one or more ways). Sure the school can improve, but they are trying to become better by raising their standards. This is a very good thing, because I know that I would want a hard working and highly competent physician to if I were ill. I am very happy to go to SMU and work hard for myself and this school, which gave me the OPPORTUNITY to learn medicine. I know the faculty cant learn for me, they are here to help me, and they are always there for support during and after class. I dont know how it is at other schools, but my professors know me by name and whenever I see a professor from a previous semester, they always ask me how I'm doing. Almost all the professors at SMU are really good teachers, but there is a lot of material to learn so 95% of the work is on you. I have no regrets. The only thing that really kinda sucks is having to do an MBA in order to get funding. But that is my fault, I take responsibility, as should everyone else for their decisions. If I had the understanding that I do now back in undergrad I would be in a US med school without davenport, so everyone has to pay for their mistakes one way or another. So if you do not like SMU, be honest with the reason why, because I cannot think of any reason other than that you yourself did not rise to meet the standards needed to be a doctor. If you are smart, and very hard working, you will be a great doctor. I know I am smart, and I work hard every day to improve the way I study. Go to SMU, and never lose focus. There will always be people trying to hold you back because of their own failures, dont let them.

forced
04-25-2012, 06:36 PM
Post not relevant anymore.

drrichand1
06-11-2012, 09:22 PM
thanks for the post guys, i was thinking about going here but think i'll stick with the big 4, sounds safer

GuitarHeroMD
06-11-2012, 11:21 PM
Well yes about 200 matched as posted on the SMU website. I know 5 personally. So this is a fairly accurate posting of the SMU match. Maybe there are issues with the administration, with the basic science professors, filling out evaluations, finding clinical spots, passing the Steps but than how do you account for the matches?? These are the young doctors who studied, struggled and finally succeeded. Congratulations! Instead of whining and complaining GO STUDY. This is an opportunity to become a physician. If you do not like SMU than transfer, don't come, seek other schools. But as of today there are 200 +/- that did it in 2012, the numbers do not lie.
If you ask me if I would have done this path with SMU today, I would say no and send my son to AUA, AUC, ROSS, SGU. Or better yet a DO school. But if you have chosen SMU than either work you *** off or transfer (if you can) or quit.

The SMU match list only reflects placement obtained through the NRMP or prematch positions reported by the matching student to the school.

There are always several students each year that don't report to the school where they prematch.

I for one never reported where I prematched. This of course means the number of students obtaining residency are greater than reported. By what percent I don't know though...

docblin
06-12-2012, 06:25 AM
The match per year from SMU is comprised of many classes from each trimester, not just the May starting class. So it is possible at least 6 semester classes are in one match or more. I know of a 2010 grad who just matched into FM in NJ for July 2012. So even more than 6 semester grads are competing. In her initial class there were 88 +/- beginners. At the end only 30 of that class (May 2006) graduated. And less than 20 have matched, approx no real accurate stats just observations. The few I know personally have passed Step III and are onto the second or third residency year. One is in the precess of obtaining a Fl license. So yes you can be successful but it is a long hard road.

azulpanther
06-15-2012, 03:24 PM
Yes that is true because there is only one match every year. Students that graduate in August, December and May must compete in the same match.

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.