PDA

View Full Version : How to apply to UNIBE for the pre med program?

mbaker
02-27-2012, 12:19 PM
Hi

I'm a sophomore currently attending the University of Southern California. Before I stress myself in the "weeder" pre med classes at USC. I've thought of graduating with a bachelors in Public Relations or Communications, then apply to UNIBE to start their premed program.

Questions:
Does the pre med program lead you right into their med school? or will I have to reapply to get in?
What GPA should I have in order to get in?
Basically what is the "trick" to getting in?
Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks

ThomasPaine
03-05-2012, 11:32 AM
Hello mbaker,
UNIBE's GPA requirement was formerly a 2.5 GPA and no MCAT was required. However, I believe they currently require a 3.0 GPA and MCAT score and have changed their curriculum. I took all those weeder premed classes you are speaking of at a large university in the states too. The only advice I can give you is to do your research on multiple caribbean schools before making such a rash decision. Remember, very few schools in the caribbean will offer you premed and basic science courses at or near U.S. standards, and I can tell you right now, UNIBE is not one of them. Take advantage of the fact that you are still a sophmore and that you still haven't taken those courses. Make whatever sacrifices necessary to get through those courses at the University of Southern California, and if some of those courses at your university are infamous for having a high failing rate, then try taking those courses at a local community college in whose credits are accepted by USC. Get tutors, study with a partner or a group, if you have to work, take out loans so you don't have to, in order to put your time in. Your aim in the caribbean should be geared towards schools like SABA, Ross, St. Matthew's, St. George's, etc., do your own research, you will find out for yourself that these are the best med schools in the caribbean.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.