PDA

View Full Version : Requirement for basic medicine course in Debrecen?

AndrewIS
02-15-2012, 12:04 PM
Hi guys,

I just finished my high school and got accepted to this university, which major in commerce but now i want to study medicine ( i'm thinking of university of Debrecen)

The reason i want to do basic medicine course first because i have no science background.

So my question is are there any entrance exam if i just want to get into BMC?

Thanks for replying.

bidiboom
02-16-2012, 05:22 AM
Hi guys,

I just finished my high school and got accepted to this university, which major in commerce but now i want to study medicine ( i'm thinking of university of Debrecen)

The reason i want to do basic medicine course first because i have no science background.

So my question is are there any entrance exam if i just want to get into BMC?

Thanks for replying.

Andrew hi, to my knowledge to be admitted in med school you need to take entrance exam, but to get in BMC class, you will need olny high school diploma. But to get the most accurate info its better to get in contact with the school directly:
University of Debrecen :: Medical School and Health Science Center (http://www.ud-mhsc.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25&Itemid=40)

I also suggest to read other threads and posts about Debrecen med school, there are a lot of info about it here.

african_child
02-16-2012, 01:42 PM
Getting into the BMC course is very easy (you already said you got admitted, didn't you?). However, since you don't have a solid science background, the first 2 years (1st and 2nd of the 6 years ) are going to be extremely difficult for you. And this is even assuming that you managed to make it through the BMC (yes, people DO repeat the BMC!).
So why am I being too negative? For one, there are some subjects in first year that lend themselves too much to the understanding of basic science subjects like physics and chemistry (for example Biophysics). Even for those who did physics and chemistry in high school, Biophysics is hard enough. You'll be at a disadvantage here. Second, a lot of subjects in higher years have Biophysics as a prerequisite. Third, and perhaps the most challenging, is that you will have to rely a lot on self-study here. Lacking a solid science foundation only compounds the situation.
But, everything is doable once the determination is there. If you find yourself slow on catching up, you could pay for some extra tuition (mostly given by fellow students) even if it is just to pass the 1st year courses [Biophysics, Molecular Bio., Organic Chemistry, Biochemisty (2nd year) etc]. Generally, with unwavering doggedness later courses can be aced w/out prior thorough knowledge in the sciences (eg Anatomy, Physiology etc).
In summary, you should look beyond the BMC and see what lies ahead. And trust me, a LOT lies.
Good luck in your endeavours.

Clementine00
02-25-2012, 08:14 PM
Hi everybody :)
The things you just mentioned are very interesting. I actually have a question concerning this BMC: I'm planning on applying to Uni of Debrecen for this September as well.
The thing is that I graduated from high school (Europe) last summer and studied bio in an US college for 1 semester (did really well, but dropped out after I realized that it's much harder for an international student to get into med school in the US than in Europe). I took bio and mathematics until the end of high school, but dropped chem and physics after 10th grade. I started studying for the entrance exam that Debrecen offers and it's actually going really well. I'm determined to try and pass the exams.
What's your opinion on this? Would I be able to take the BMC for a year if I fail the entrance exam?

Sequoya
03-06-2012, 06:21 AM
Hi Clementine00,
At the entrance exam you can reach a maximum of 300 points (at the oral part of the exam). If you reach at least 40% on the written test (multiple choice test on all three exam subjects) you can go for the 1st year on the oral part where you have to reach minimum 240 points (if I can remember correctly, but if you check their website you can find there the Rules and regulations that tells you exactly what are the minimum requirements for the first year or BMC). For BMC I guess you need 150 points out of the 300.

the_red_devil
03-07-2012, 07:16 AM
Don't stress too much about the entrance exam. It isn't really that hard as long as your basics are clear. But be prepared to toil very hard once you do get past the BMC and first semester. You'll be fine if you are prepared to put in loads of effort and don't mind having an almost non existent social life. Good luck!

ck0211
03-27-2012, 01:50 AM
Hi, everyone. My case is pretty much like Clementine00. I am 24. Finished my high school in Hong Kong a few years ago, then I went to US to study Health Science in a college last year, but just found that international students are almost impossible to study medicine in US. Therefore, I have decided to transfer to Europe. Now, I am thinking about studying BMC in Debrecen in order to get a place in the medicine programme next year.

Here are the questions.

I was told that BMC don't have any entrance exam? Isn't it true?

And do you guys have any opinions about studying in Debrecen?

the_red_devil
03-27-2012, 11:47 AM
Since you already have a background in science, I'd recommend you not to waste your time with the BMC and try to get admission into the first year. Sure it's a good way to get acquainted with the city and settling down here but I think the cons out weigh the pros in this case. Assess all your options before making a choice. Central Europe isn't the worst but there are better places for sure if you search for them.

ck0211
03-27-2012, 03:41 PM
Since you already have a background in science, I'd recommend you not to waste your time with the BMC and try to get admission into the first year. Sure it's a good way to get acquainted with the city and settling down here but I think the cons out weigh the pros in this case. Assess all your options before making a choice. Central Europe isn't the worst but there are better places for sure if you search for them.

Thx! Coz my Health Science courses in US don't include physics, and there was too less Chem. That is why I think I need to take the BMC to make myself to handle the medicine later.

Um.... would you mind giving me some recommendations about which countries / schools are good for my case? I am not trying to be lazy to search, but just wanna hear someone who know more about the schools in Europe?

ck0211
03-27-2012, 04:38 PM
BTW, I have a bit colour weakness (red-green). Is that allowed to study medicine in Europe? Coz I know it is allowed in US, but not quite sure about that in Europe..

the_red_devil
03-27-2012, 04:45 PM
If finances and smartness aren't a problem, I'd say go for the UK. Better schools, better life, better degree. Or even countries like Germany, Holland, Spain, and the scandinavian countries have excellent schools and you can get admission there provided you're fluent in the native languages of these countries and have a solid academic foundation. If you have to come to central/eastern Europe, your first choices should be Jagiellonian, Charles or Semmelweis. Where you would like to practise after graduation is also a crucial factor which you should take into consideration.

ck0211
03-27-2012, 06:19 PM
If finances and smartness aren't a problem, I'd say go for the UK. Better schools, better life, better degree. Or even countries like Germany, Holland, Spain, and the scandinavian countries have excellent schools and you can get admission there provided you're fluent in the native languages of these countries and have a solid academic foundation. If you have to come to central/eastern Europe, your first choices should be Jagiellonian, Charles or Semmelweis. Where you would like to practise after graduation is also a crucial factor which you should take into consideration.

Thanks! Studying in UK is just too expensive. I am thinking like finishing the M.D in Debrecen or Semmelweis first because it is way easier to handle the medical terms in english; then I would like to practice in Germany(I am learning German) or England (I am holding British(overseas) passport). Is it a good idea? Or there is another path?

the_red_devil
03-29-2012, 06:14 AM
If you want to practise in England or Germany, I think ( I'm not sure) that Romania could possibly be a better option for you. From what I've heard, it's much easier to survive in Romania than in Hungary where they make you work extremely hard (which is not a bad thing but for some reason people tend to shy away from putting in efforts). I personally know several British students studying in Romania and they seem to be content with their lives and education there.

ck0211
03-29-2012, 08:32 AM
If you want to practise in England or Germany, I think ( I'm not sure) that Romania could possibly be a better option for you. From what I've heard, it's much easier to survive in Romania than in Hungary where they make you work extremely hard (which is not a bad thing but for some reason people tend to shy away from putting in efforts). I personally know several British students studying in Romania and they seem to be content with their lives and education there.

Since you told me the options I have, I asked a few representatives of different schools for advises. I am thinking about studying pre-medicine in Hungary because my chemistry isn't good enough. Then I would apply the medicine programme in university of Groningen (Holland) for the cheaper tuition.

BTW, I would rather pick a school with heavy workload rather than those schools which are too relaxing. I think school works can help u memorizing better. (Maybe... ;P)

May I ask where are u studying at?

Dulgar
03-29-2012, 09:07 AM
Since you told me the options I have, I asked a few representatives of different schools for advises. I am thinking about studying pre-medicine in Hungary because my chemistry isn't good enough. Then I would apply the medicine programme in university of Groningen (Holland) for the cheaper tuition.

BTW, I would rather pick a school with heavy workload rather than those schools which are too relaxing. I think school works can help u memorizing better. (Maybe... ;P)

May I ask where are u studying at?

Semmelweis and the schools in Prague seem to be the choice for German students, so maybe you should consider those. Instead of studying pre-medicine here in Hungary, look for options in your own home-country where you can do a basic science year (I think they're called that), if you have free tuition etc, would be cheaper and I bet you'll learn a lot more, as the BMC here seems to be very, very basic.

ck0211
03-29-2012, 10:04 AM
Semmelweis and the schools in Prague seem to be the choice for German students, so maybe you should consider those. Instead of studying pre-medicine here in Hungary, look for options in your own home-country where you can do a basic science year (I think they're called that), if you have free tuition etc, would be cheaper and I bet you'll learn a lot more, as the BMC here seems to be very, very basic.

In Hong Kong, it is almost impossible to get into a science programme when u were an art and business student. That is y I have to study aboard....
Actually, I got accepted by a physiotherapy programme of a Dutch hogeschool. I am afraid that I am not qualified to get into the medicine proigramme since my chemistry is weak, so that is the reason I am thinking about applying pre-medicine in Hungary... sigh....

the_red_devil
03-29-2012, 12:28 PM
Does the university of Groningen have an English medium course? I thought that the schools in Holland taught in Deutsch exclusively. If I could, I'd rather study in Germany, Holland, Belgium or the Scandinavian countries. But the lack of English medium programs and my inability to speak their native languages forced me to study in Hungary. Semmelweis has a pre med program and so does Debrecen. Unfortunately I have no idea about either of them as I've started directly as a first year in Debrecen.

ck0211
03-29-2012, 12:46 PM
Does the university of Groningen have an English medium course? I thought that the schools in Holland taught in Deutsch exclusively. If I could, I'd rather study in Germany, Holland, Belgium or the Scandinavian countries. But the lack of English medium programs and my inability to speak their native languages forced me to study in Hungary. Semmelweis has a pre med program and so does Debrecen. Unfortunately I have no idea about either of them as I've started directly as a first year in Debrecen.

I heard their first 3 years are taught in english, and the last three years are taught in Dutch(the textbooks are english) honestly, I haven't checked it yet, but I am thinking exactly the same as u. I would study in North/ west europe, coz I don't know much about the east europe countries. Where are u from?

Semmelweis has the pre-med? I couldn't search it on their website??? I can only find the pre med courses in Semmelweis and Mcdaniel college in Hungary..

the_red_devil
03-29-2012, 01:11 PM
I heard their first 3 years are taught in english, and the last three years are taught in Dutch(the textbooks are english) honestly, I haven't checked it yet, but I am thinking exactly the same as u. I would study in North/ west europe, coz I don't know much about the east europe countries. Where are u from?

Semmelweis has the pre-med? I couldn't search it on their website??? I can only find the pre med courses in Semmelweis and Mcdaniel college in Hungary..
If I'm not mistaken, Mcdaniel provides the pre med for Semmelweis and Debrecen has its own BMC course. I'm from India :)

Dulgar
03-29-2012, 01:56 PM
In Hong Kong, it is almost impossible to get into a science programme when u were an art and business student. That is y I have to study aboard....
Actually, I got accepted by a physiotherapy programme of a Dutch hogeschool. I am afraid that I am not qualified to get into the medicine proigramme since my chemistry is weak, so that is the reason I am thinking about applying pre-medicine in Hungary... sigh....

If you have weak chemistry you can make up for it in an exam, also if you have physics which is weak, three first years are English, which then earns you a Bachelor, where you can specialize as house doctor but always under observation of others, or you can continue 3 more years and earn a masters in medicine, this is in dutch, then earns you the title of "Basic doctor".

RUG is the only school in the Netherlands that teach in english, only for the first three years though.

ck0211
03-29-2012, 09:44 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Mcdaniel provides the pre med for Semmelweis and Debrecen has its own BMC course. I'm from India :)

O, I c! So maybe I will give a shot on the entrance exam first, see if I could get in year 1 or not. Otherwise, I probably would take anyone of those pre-med, then I would apply the medicine programme in the other European country.

Cool~ Introduce me some indian girls~ :) kidding. Some of my best friends are from India either.

ck0211
03-29-2012, 09:52 PM
If you have weak chemistry you can make up for it in an exam, also if you have physics which is weak, three first years are English, which then earns you a Bachelor, where you can specialize as house doctor but always under observation of others, or you can continue 3 more years and earn a masters in medicine, this is in dutch, then earns you the title of "Basic doctor".

RUG is the only school in the Netherlands that teach in english, only for the first three years though.

I asked the RUG that would that accept my application if I finished the pre med in Hungary.....but they have no reply.........=____=
Hope I can transfer to Holland....
BTW, thanks a lot! I had no idea about the programme and schools before u told me.

Dulgar
03-30-2012, 12:06 AM
I asked the RUG that would that accept my application if I finished the pre med in Hungary.....but they have no reply.........=____=
Hope I can transfer to Holland....
BTW, thanks a lot! I had no idea about the programme and schools before u told me.

I don't think the BMC course has any academic value, so it wouldn't change anything, just call them and ask to speak with whoever handles international students for the GHMC, her name is Ms. Mulder I think.
You can't transfer to schools in the Netherlands, I think you have to be admitted and then they'll put you in the right year depending on what you've done so far, I'm actually looking to do that, but trying to improve my Dutch to an academic level before, so if you have any questions I'll try to answer as much as I can!

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.