PDA

View Full Version : Students at the University of Gdansk for English Division -- Help?

kathleenmurphyib
02-11-2012, 01:53 AM
Hello,

I recently posted on this website about the premedical course. I'm from the United States, but living overseas in China. During Chinese New Year I took the opportunity to visit Poland for a week, in Gdansk. Despite the cold setbacks, I enjoyed it immensely, it being my first time in snow, as well as the first visit to a university in general. I'm making plans to apply to the premedical course seeing as despite I'm in the IB Programme, our administration has been nothing but a pig about it and alienating the IB students over the AP. Education in my high school has been insufficient. Now, I had emailed the administration office two weeks prior to arriving in Gdansk for a tour of the school and they did not return any news for such. As a result, I have visited the university, but I've seen only the outer shell, being unable to experience a day's worth of classes, lectures and Q&A's. I have no family in Poland, and no family in Europe in general. My family lives in the U.S. and in China, and as such, I will be pretty much alone with no family support structure. I also have no intentions of returning to the U.S. for education after my high school graduation. If anyone, in Gdansk, preferably the English Division programme, can help fill in the gaps about what this school can do for me, and how it will benefit me for becoming a doctor in Europe, I would appreciate immensely any information. I don't plan on taking the USMLE's but rather going over to practice in Germany, Sweden, Norway or Italy. By what I've read, there are mixed reviews on MUG, but mostly from personal perspectives on teachers, administration. I'm more interested in the kind of education I will be receiving, how it differs from other universities in Western Europe and the U.S., and what happens after graduation from the 6 year programme. I haven't heard stories about English Divison students after their graduation or what happened to them. If anyone can fill me in on this I'd appreciate it also.

Sorry about this long post, anything will be appreciated!

devildoc8404
02-11-2012, 02:21 AM
If you have no desire to practice in the US, then based on what my Polish friends have told me, Gdansk would be a fine choice.

Currently (remember that this is subject to change, and it presupposes language fluency), Germany would be a wide open for residency training and work. Sweden and Norway would be open to you after you completed residency -- and they would even pay you to go through language training. I don't know specifics about Italy.

Note that not every EU country would be open to you for work as a US citizen, however. Currently, England and Holland would be almost certain NOT to hire you. France would be tough.

Let me reiterate that I'm not studying at Gdansk, but I'm studying in SE Europe, and this information is based on the experience I am currently having as a graduating 6th year student. Again, we had several Polish exchange students here with ERASMUS, and they had good things to say about Gdansk. Still, if I were choosing an English program in Poland, I would pick Jagiellonian, based on my research and conversations (not to mention the fact that it's in Krakow).

Good luck to you!

piotr
02-11-2012, 09:17 AM
Hello,

I recently posted on this website about the premedical course. I'm from the United States, but living overseas in China. During Chinese New Year I took the opportunity to visit Poland for a week, in Gdansk. Despite the cold setbacks, I enjoyed it immensely, it being my first time in snow, as well as the first visit to a university in general. I'm making plans to apply to the premedical course seeing as despite I'm in the IB Programme, our administration has been nothing but a pig about it and alienating the IB students over the AP. Education in my high school has been insufficient. Now, I had emailed the administration office two weeks prior to arriving in Gdansk for a tour of the school and they did not return any news for such. As a result, I have visited the university, but I've seen only the outer shell, being unable to experience a day's worth of classes, lectures and Q&A's. I have no family in Poland, and no family in Europe in general. My family lives in the U.S. and in China, and as such, I will be pretty much alone with no family support structure. I also have no intentions of returning to the U.S. for education after my high school graduation. If anyone, in Gdansk, preferably the English Division programme, can help fill in the gaps about what this school can do for me, and how it will benefit me for becoming a doctor in Europe, I would appreciate immensely any information. I don't plan on taking the USMLE's but rather going over to practice in Germany, Sweden, Norway or Italy. By what I've read, there are mixed reviews on MUG, but mostly from personal perspectives on teachers, administration. I'm more interested in the kind of education I will be receiving, how it differs from other universities in Western Europe and the U.S., and what happens after graduation from the 6 year programme. I haven't heard stories about English Divison students after their graduation or what happened to them. If anyone can fill me in on this I'd appreciate it also.

Sorry about this long post, anything will be appreciated!

Dear Students
If you would like to visit Gdansk, then i recomand you apartments close to Medical Academy.
I rent my apartments for short and long stay. So if you would like to find fine place please let me know
apartament-gdansk.pl
If you would like to know something about study, then find "Medical University of Gdansk, English Division" on facebook, because there you have students who help you.

bidiboom
02-11-2012, 09:53 AM
Jestem nie stara, jestem mhoda... though irrelevant! :D I am learning Polish here in this website:
Language Learning with Livemocha | Learn a Language Online - Free! (http://www.livemocha.com/)

It has various options as mother tongue, you can pick one from the bar downside of the screen. I found it really very much helpful, guys..

reichmann
02-25-2012, 11:18 AM
You're welcome to practice anywhere in the EU. MUG has recognition throughout EU, U.S. and Canada. Because of the many changes at MUG with the new centre of invasive medicine (newest project in Poland now) and the centre of non invasive medicine. The MUG is expanding its recruitment efforts as it has invested 1.3 Billion Zlotych into construction, and new developments. cheers

natalia_kor
03-27-2012, 05:37 AM
Hello,
I'm a student of University of Technology and I was just wondering if you could advise me what large hospitals are being planned in Poland in 2013-2015? is Centre of non invasive medicine is to be constructed? Can't find the relevant info on internet...

Thank you!
Kind regards,
Natalia

You're welcome to practice anywhere in the EU. MUG has recognition throughout EU, U.S. and Canada. Because of the many changes at MUG with the new centre of invasive medicine (newest project in Poland now) and the centre of non invasive medicine. The MUG is expanding its recruitment efforts as it has invested 1.3 Billion Zlotych into construction, and new developments. cheers

reichmann
03-27-2012, 05:44 AM
Yes, the Non Invasive Medicine, is to be constructed beside the Center of Invasive Medicine. I believe the plan is 2016. Gda (http://www.dziennikbaltycki.pl/artykul/486001,gdansk-powstanie-drugi-superszpital-centrum-medycyny,id,t.html?cookie=1) The current Rector of the University has already made architectural plans, and is determined to finish by 2016.

natalia_kor
03-27-2012, 05:49 AM
thank your for your quick reply. could you please kindly advise me if you know what other large hospital projects are planned to be constructed in Poland?.. I've found just two on internet - Poviat hospital in Żywiec University Hospital in Bialystok modernisation/ Thank you!!!

reichmann
03-27-2012, 05:57 AM
for larger university teaching hospitals in the near future, i'm only aware of the Medical University of Gdansk, restructuring their teaching facilities, and expanding to this extent. If I come across anything exciting, I'll be sure to let you know!

natalia_kor
03-27-2012, 06:05 AM
thank you so much :) actually any new large hospitals in Poland and new airport development in Poland is of the great interest !... I've also came across Gynaecology-obstetrics hospital in Poznan, however no details... Have a smooth day !

bidiboom
03-27-2012, 06:26 AM
thank your for your quick reply. could you please kindly advise me if you know what other large hospital projects are planned to be constructed in Poland?.. I've found just two on internet - Poviat hospital in Żywiec University Hospital in Bialystok modernisation/ Thank you!!!

This is another new hospital of Jagiellonian. Depending on their website info, its planned to be completed this year:
University hospital, Krakow | Arup | A global firm of consulting engineers, designers, planners and project managers (http://www.arup.com/Projects/University_Hospital_Krakow.aspx)

Actually I dont know directly whether this project is the same project that takes place in the website of Jagiellonian, but regarding that there is no newly developed hospital for Jagiellonian other than this, I assume that this must be that one.. :)

Doclak
06-12-2012, 09:35 AM
Hey,
I am from Gdansk and from the English Division, I see that the original subject of this post went into the construction side of things. There is new airport terminal at Gdansk so that might be interesting for you.
I don't know about any new hospitals except CNM ( Center of Noninvasive Medicine). But I wanted to go back to the original subject.
This year is a year were there are going to be implemented new changes to the medical programs in all EU countries, and especially in Poland. All of the Polish Medical Schools prepared new program in accordance to the new law. It is hard to say how it is going to compare to the old one. So if you are thinking of starting med school now you will start in the new curriculum. As far as I know there will be major changes. What exactly I don't know, but both Polish and English Division will have to have exactly the same program. This is all done to better fit the EU regulations. It is hard to say how good it is going to be.
So far all the doctors from MUG that I know who decided to start practicing in Western Europe have had no problems finding jobs. MUG has a very good reputation in UK, Ireland, and extremely good rep in Sweden and Norway. Most our ED students come from Sweden. We have some students from Germany as well but it is rather small number. On the other hand we have a lot of research programs that are in cooperation with German Universities and Hospitals. I don't think that you would have a problem finding a job in Germany after finishing MUG. Germans are still thinking of Gdansk as a part of their history.
With our diploma you can go virtually to work anywhere in the EU, US and Canada. I have friends that graduated already and are working in UK, Sweden, Norway, Ireland, US, CA and so on and I haven't heard one of them complaining that the school they graduated from was bad or inadequate. Actually most of them said that being a student was fun, study hard and party harder, hehe. Now they say, work is a lot of responsibilities. If you have questions let me know. Cheers.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.