PDA

View Full Version : Transfer FROM semmelweis

alSiqilli
01-29-2012, 12:22 PM
Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has information about transferring FROM semmelweis to anywhere not in eastern Europe? Particularly I'm thinking Spain, Italy, UAE? I have 1 semester of anatomy and chemistry completed, technically 2nd year though... Any helpful information is a life saver. Thanks!

bidiboom
01-29-2012, 12:42 PM
AlSiqilli hi,

The only thing I can say is that Italy would be the worst option for me. I dont have a positive impression about medical system in Italy, even for her natives, let alone international students. I dont suggest Italy option, neither as the base education nor residency.

Would you like to talk about Semmelweis? Of course if you will feel better :)

alSiqilli
01-29-2012, 01:08 PM
Talk about semmelweis... where do I start? And how much truth can I spill without fear of someone from there seeing it, and then I magically fail every exam I ever take from now on? :) If anyone is considering going there, I strongly strongly urge you to consider somewhere else. Honestly I don't know ONE international student who truly enjoys it here. A few try to enjoy it, not speak badly about it etc, but even they know they are fooling themselves. Semmelweis itself it bad enough, but then add living in hungary... even if you've visited before, living here is completely different, and you'll never (luckily) understand how bad it is to live here unless you do. Let's put it this way, almost every hungarian I talk to doesn't even like hungary. Then while you're just dealing with an extremely unpleasant daily life, go to an insane school with a complete lack of structure, fairness, and responsibility...

So for transfer, there is a list of foreign medical schools accepted by the medical board of California that I'd like to follow:

mbc.ca.gov/applicant/schools_recognized.html

Here's the problem: I'd like to learn in English. The only medical schools with accepted english programs are in eastern europe, so definitely NOT an option (that's what I've learned here so far). So either I can pick a good school even if it's not accepted in CA, or learn in another language that won't be to hard to learn in. (I already somewhat speak Spanish, Italian, French... but worried about grasping topics well enough to pass medical school in them.) One of my best friends said he could send me to Adana (Turkey) where his dad is a doctor... At this point I'm willing to consider any option that gets me out of here as soon as possible. So I really appreciate all the help!

alSiqilli
01-29-2012, 01:15 PM
... I've been focusing on Spain, just giving in to the fact that I guess I'll have to get perfectly comfortable in Spanish real fast, but I've heard some schools especially in Madrid just want money like semmelweis too, so I'm very worried to spend so much time, money, and energy leaving one rape to get to another.

bidiboom
01-29-2012, 01:39 PM
...And how much truth can I spill without fear of someone from there seeing it, and then I magically fail every exam I ever take from now on?...

You fear. Incredibly you dont feel safe and you fear from the system of Semmelweis. Do you think that they get personal in judgement of the students?

...If anyone is considering going there, I strongly strongly urge you to consider somewhere else. Honestly I don't know ONE international student who truly enjoys it here. A few try to enjoy it, not speak badly about it etc, but even they know they are fooling themselves. Semmelweis itself it bad enough, but then add living in hungary... even if you've visited before, living here is completely different, and you'll never (luckily) understand how bad it is to live here unless you do. Let's put it this way, almost every hungarian I talk to doesn't even like hungary...

Is there a general unhappiness, or how to say, dissatisfaction? Why is that?

...go to an insane school with a complete lack of structure, fairness, and responsibility...

Can you develop this point alSiqilli? By the respect of unfair judgement of the a prof, I have heard something too, but I dont know what exactly you mean with this description..

...I'd like to learn in English. The only medical schools with accepted english programs are in eastern europe, so definitely NOT an option (that's what I've learned here so far)...

O-o! :D We dont have a good idea about those Hungarian, Polish, Czech... all of those med schools I think. Do you think that they are similar?

...but worried about grasping topics well enough to pass medical school in them...

Thats a very sound worry, yes, to learn medical subjects in a language you dont know very well will be a guarantee to fail. Your choice of language, English, is the best for you, other than your own mother tongue.

...One of my best friends said he could send me to Adana (Turkey) where his dad is a doctor... At this point I'm willing to consider any option that gets me out of here as soon as possible. So I really appreciate all the help!..

alSaqilli there isnt a med school which is in Adana or around and teaching in English. But you can try Cerrahpasa/Istanbul, Marmara/Istanbul or Hacettepe/Ankara, they have English programs and Cerrahpasa has CMB approval. BUT, you cant transfer to any Turkish med schools (or any other quality school in EU), you need to start from scratch.

...I have 1 semester of anatomy and chemistry completed, technically 2nd year though...

Sorry but I couldnt understand what exactly this is :p Does it mean, you are in 2nd year, and completed 1 semestr Anatomy and 1 semestr Chemistry? If yes, then there must be some courses from 1st year you retake, am I right?

alSiqilli
01-29-2012, 02:14 PM
... I KNOW they get personal in the judgments of students, I've seen students blackmailed when they have a completely valid complaint that they decide to stick up for themselves about. I've seen it.

Yes, there is a HUGE general unhappiness. The problem is people don't do absolutely anything about it. Maybe because no one has any idea HOW to do anything about it. Also some people don't have another option so they try to just forget about these problems... which ends in tears, being depressed and/or needing medication. Again, I've seen it. Many, many, many times.

Yes I'm repeating chemistry and anatomy from 1st semester, though I'm finishing my 3rd semester. Anatomy - failed once rightfully, I admit it. Failed a second time because my examiner was a prof who is now not allowed to give final exams because of failing too many people. All 5 other guys in my class failed as well (all 14 girls passed). Not surprising considering during midterms, we all noticed our names were skipped if there was a good looking girl somewhere next on the list... There are many profs who fail most people, so I don't know why just this one was removed for too many fails, besides the fact that his English is entirely incomprehensible... Chemistry - I had FOUR semesters of it in the US, all passing. The first semester exam here, failed by 2 points, second time by 1 point. Never got my 3rd chance as allowed by each semester's tuition fee. (Same with anatomy, no 3rd chance) Some people have passed after missing the exam by 1 point, not me though. So again this semester now, failed by 2 points, then the second time I didn't even check my failing score. The funny part about this chemistry exam is that it has nothing to do with the class. One of many such exams in many classes. I won't go into how people pass because I don't know who's on here... but I'm about to fail this entire first semester class because of basically bad luck, again. I don't expect you to understand, because no one does until they're here and in the same situation (it's that unbelievable), but I hope I could explain it in somewhat of an understandable way. For another example, statistics class. I did very well, top grades, in the class and on the midterms... failed the first chance of the final with almost NO points earned! By the third chance I barely passed.

I've had Cerrahpasa and Hacettepe recommended a few times! I am a bit worried about the transfer ability there though. If they are good schools though, there would be no need to transfer, except maybe back to the US for a final year or two.

I'm just hoping for information about a GOOD school, at this point in any western European language that will accept a transfer before 2nd year. And if my story can help someone not make a decision (hungary) that will discourage them to the point of almost quitting on your lifelong career goal and/or clinical depression, that's really wonderful.

alSiqilli
01-29-2012, 02:28 PM
Ah, another example... 3rd semester biochemistry. 70 people take the exam, less than 20 will pass. That IS semmelweis, no further explanation needed.
Another midterm in that biochemistry class - teacher told the entire class not to worry about a certain topic, that they will definitely not test on it. Turns out it was most of the exam and everyone failed, and no one could do anything about it. They tried too.

My friend's grade book was held hostage by a department because someone ELSE broke some glassware. She had to pay over $100 for something that was in no way her fault so she could get her book back. I wonder how many other people "broke" something...

bidiboom
01-29-2012, 02:40 PM
I simply didnt know that it was that.. I dont know how to express this, its simply sad to hear that one of the schools we think to be good is this!

So there is sexism. Incredible.

For another example, statistics class. I did very well, top grades, in the class and on the midterms... failed the first chance of the final with almost NO points earned!

alSiqilli just to be fair and not to be judgemental about the school I ask this: may it be related with you yourself? Say for instance you may be great in oral exam but not good in expressing yourself in written form.. or maybe until midterms in time you lose your concentration on the subject and cant be clear in giving the details.. or something like that? "NO points earned" is something really unimaginable!

May I aks are you from US? Your name gave me an impression of an Arabic name :)

I've had Cerrahpasa and Hacettepe recommended a few times! I am a bit worried about the transfer ability there though

Unfortunately they dont get transfer students.. not a chance! You need to start from scratch. But they are really good schools, no problem at that point. But if you consider to work in EU, you cant get an EU recognition, Turkey is not an EU country.

alSiqilli
01-29-2012, 03:14 PM
I guess Turkey is kind of out of the question then :(

I shouldn't say my nationality here ;-) As far as exams, doing well during the class and failing finals... yes, I did fail the final with almost no points earned, and I was getting top grades during the semester. I didn't lose concentration, I studied like I needed to, the midterms were on paper, the final was on the computer. But as usual, the exam had very little to do with the class. Statistics had more to do with the semester than chemistry, but for stats we were not once taught how to do things in the way we were asked to on the exam. And it was very, very, very different. As I mentioned it's very standard for more than 50-75% of students to fail an exam here. MORE THAN 50-75% failing. Standard.

I just really need to find information about a real school to transfer to... I checked into the United Arab Emirated University medical school in Al Ain, but they only take Emirati nationals as far as I found out. There are none in Dubai or Abu Dhabi accepted in California. Spain teaches only in Spanish as far as I know (still looks like my first choice at this point), Italy sounds good also, but I hear San Raffaele is having lots of money trouble right now, and other than that I'm out of ideas and very worried about it, because staying is not an option and I think it's much too early to try a US transfer...

devildoc8404
01-29-2012, 03:59 PM
I'm sorry, but transferring to a US medical school is out of the question. You would need to already have a 4-year university degree (from a US or Canadian university) with excellent marks, top scores on the MCAT, and US citizenship or a green card... and even then it would be a far-less-than-one-percent chance. Most US medical schools accept no international transfers at all, and the few that do have just a couple of seats each year.

Yes, you may be able to work in the US someday with a foreign medical degree, but you essentially cannot transfer into a US medical school... especially if you are repeating failed classes.

(I'm honestly not trying to depress you, but I want you to understand the realities of the process. Good luck in finding the right school for you...)

alSiqilli
01-29-2012, 04:14 PM
Thank you very much for your info... yes, I know it's very hard to get into the US and Canada. That's why I left there in the first place. Not as much that it's very hard, but also that it just takes a very long time between undergrad, MCAT, applying, starting, etc. I definitely made the best decision I could at the time with semmelweis, but it's because the hungarian recruiters got to me first AND a lot of people don't have the guts to write how it really is here. Though I don't know if words can even really describe it. So in the process of trying to find ANY way out of here while hoping to find a good school, I hope I can at least put the information out there that I wish I saw. Thanks :) If anyone has info about ANY EU or Middle East schools, I think those would be the best bet...

PS I'm already depressed devildoc, don't worry, you didn't do it hahah.

devildoc8404
01-29-2012, 04:21 PM
You could probably apply for admission in Bulgaria and receive consideration for your completed coursework, but you have to submit that after being admitted as a first year student. There are no guarantees, because each department head reviews the completed coursework individually and makes a decision as to whether or not it is acceptable for credit, acceptable pending an examination, partially-acceptable, or not acceptable. Still, Bulgaria would at least be an option.

I have been a little leery of Semmelweis since the recent political changes in Hungary have become a concern. The school has a good reputation, but they had better be careful with it! Good luck, alSiqilli... remember that there are other paths to your goal. It will just take some flexibility, determination, and a lot of hard work.

alSiqilli
01-29-2012, 04:32 PM
So, so, so aware of the hard work needed hahah. I'm willing to do it as to be a doctor you need to be... the problem with semmelweis is that you do more hard work than other medical schools (I have a lot of medical school friends around the world, we have to work harder and deal with more crap) and you fail. That will really mess up your head!!! I need a future that's not based on luck, kissing *****, and having an israeli passport :( As far as Bulgaria goes, I would LOVE to visit one day soon! But to move and live there, I'm sure you can understand not jumping right into that after coming from this hell here. Of course I'm not comparing, I truly honestly believe there are not many worse places than hungary... some friends have named it a 4th world country because they're 3rd world and think they're 1st lol ;-) Their words. I really think Spain is looking like what it will be so far... bueno, vamos...

alSiqilli
01-29-2012, 06:27 PM
bidiboom! I saw your post on another thread and it made me think about Turkey again! Cerrahpasa and Hacettepe especially, though I know coming from Budapest that WHERE I live is much more important than I thought. I need a big city with quite open minded people and lots of recreation. So I'm a bit worried about Ankara, because it's smaller than Istanbul (what isn't? lol) and I've never been there. But if you said Marmara (as well as Hacettepe) are applying for CMB certification in English, I'm sure they'll get it and maybe the two in Istanbul would be a good option... you say no matter what I'd have to start over though? And the tuition is so affordable like you said?

At this point nothing matters as much as leaving hungary though. And if it's a great school, and I want to be a great student, I'm sure any exams for my degree recognition won't be a problem after. Thanks SO much for your help!

epimed
01-29-2012, 07:30 PM
I don't really understand how having an Israeli passport or just being ethnically Israeli will affect how well you can do. I can imagine, for example, a Muslim or a colored person facing discrimination in school in any European country. I really don't want to get into politics and all, but most of us have a pretty good idea of Israel's role in the whole world.

bidiboom
01-29-2012, 11:24 PM
I don't really understand how having an Israeli passport or just being ethnically Israeli will affect how well you can do. I can imagine, for example, a Muslim or a colored person facing discrimination in school in any European country. I really don't want to get into politics and all, but most of us have a pretty good idea of Israel's role in the whole world.

Epimed, I think its just like in Jagiellonian : They get investment from another country (Debrecen in Hungary gets support from Israel, Jagiellonian in Poland gets from Norway), and they raise the kids of those countries in return. The point is that do you trust the school, its administration, academic quality or not. I have known that in Debrecen there was a serious Israeli kid population, but I didnt know that it was in Semmelweis too.. (a question to alSaqilli: is Semmelweis too well populated by Israeli students, can you say that, or did you mean Hungary in general?)

And epimed, to be well populated by a specific group of people (like Israelis) doesnt directly mean that there will be discrimination about muslims or coloured people, but its always riskier, for these kind of grounds are prone to turn to clubs, which in time may create a discriminative ground.

But out of this student population question, i think Hungary, France, especially those countries are socially pretty discriminative. This is their state of mind and I know that the people of subject to discrimination can feel suffocated pretty much in both countries, especially in France. In Hungary they dont have a specific phenotype to discriminate, it looks they rather have a general problem of kind of an arrogance.
But for Poland I didnt sniff that air still! There is somewhat social awkwardness about foreigners there too, but I think its at the level of unfamiliarity, not discrimination.

bidiboom
01-29-2012, 11:42 PM
...I shouldn't say my nationality here ;-) ...

Ok honey, I wont say you are a visitor from Mars..shhh! ;)

...the midterms were on paper, the final was on the computer. But as usual, the exam had very little to do with the class. Statistics had more to do with the semester than chemistry, but for stats we were not once taught how to do things in the way we were asked to on the exam. And it was very, very, very different. As I mentioned it's very standard for more than 50-75% of students to fail an exam here. MORE THAN 50-75% failing. Standard...

Ahh-haa!!! Thats very much important! Why is that, do you have any idea? I just try to understand: may it be a classical European system of theoretical education in class, but USMLE form of tests? I try to get a positive clue and see whether its still possible to stay and somehow reconcile these differences between class studies and finals. If its in USMLE format, then with some USMLE books and CDs you can even turn it to something good for your own future, which you plan in US.

...I checked into the United Arab Emirated...

No darling, if you ask me, never ever try any Middle Eastern school, I say. Years ago (I am a 45 year old non-traditional, so I follow all relevant articles for years :rolleyes: ) I have read an article in Time magazine about prestigious US/UK schools which had campuses in Middle East as well, and the rector of one of them explicitly was saying how they had to get the bar lower and change the curricula in their ME schools, since the kids of that region had a problem to follow the real curricula. So for less education you pay a lot more there!

There are always options, dont feel under pressure, but can we first pass through the points I asked above?

bidiboom
01-29-2012, 11:51 PM
bidiboom! I saw your post on another thread and it made me think about Turkey again! Cerrahpasa and Hacettepe especially, though I know coming from Budapest that WHERE I live is much more important than I thought. I need a big city with quite open minded people and lots of recreation. So I'm a bit worried about Ankara, because it's smaller than Istanbul (what isn't? lol) and I've never been there. But if you said Marmara (as well as Hacettepe) are applying for CMB certification in English, I'm sure they'll get it and maybe the two in Istanbul would be a good option... you say no matter what I'd have to start over though? And the tuition is so affordable like you said?

At this point nothing matters as much as leaving hungary though. And if it's a great school, and I want to be a great student, I'm sure any exams for my degree recognition won't be a problem after. Thanks SO much for your help!

Istanbul is, yes, a cosmopolitan metropolis, even bigger than some countries. We can develop this point as much as you like, no poblem, but there are other options as well. I would love to see you here, I give any info you want to have about Istanbul, Turkey and the schools, as much as I can, no problem at that point, please dont misunderstand me, but just lets talk a lot for now and see all of the options, huh? :)

...At this point nothing matters as much as leaving hungary though...

alSaqilli this mood is something to share with friends and we are here for that, ok, but its not a mood to make a decision. It may give harm to yourself, not Semmelweis. First lets talk and talk, later you are the sole owner of your life and you decide in whichever way you want. For now just lets talk and calm down altogether, ok? :D

bidiboom
01-31-2012, 02:10 AM
alSiqilliiiiiiii where did you go man? Come out come out wherever you are!

(bidi's mind: My aggressive tone must have frightened him :confused: )

african_child
01-31-2012, 02:17 AM
In Debrecen, the Israelis run the school. But this is not why I'm here.
To the poster, have you ever considered going back to your country and bracing all medical school admission requirements? I'm not particularly happy living and studying in Debrecen either. But to be fair to the school, I've never passed any exams I deserved to fail or failed any exams I deserved to pass.
One of the many problems, IMHO, is the lack of a universal marking scheme for oral exams. A few basic knowledge are enough for, say, professor A, while even the most detailed explanations are not enough to impress professor B. Thus, it's commonplace to find a student who barely studies pass a given exams just on account of how lucky they are with whom examined them.
For me, yes, I have this worrying feeling that I don't learn as much as I ought to as a medical student from my clinical practices in Debrecen (and thus hugely rely on youtube videos for clinical skills acquision, which keeps me wondering why I'm paying tuition fees in the first place), but unfortunately the structures in Debrecen are better than the best medical school in my country. So, I can't complain.
But I understand if you're from a much, much better country than Hungary (Western Europe, America, Japan etc), you'll be more than dissatisfied and frustrated here. The more reason you should consider transferring back home, IMHO.
International students remain a potential body of exploit for any university wherever you go. Although the quality of the education they get varies.
Good luck in your endeavours.

bidiboom
01-31-2012, 04:30 AM
Very much insightful and honest, thank you africal_child. May I ask one thing; with "In Debrecen, the Israelis run the school" do you mean they literally run the school, or metaphorically you say that? Do they put the rules of the game?

african_child
01-31-2012, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the compliment. Indeed, the Israelis behave with reckless impunity in this school, making it hard not to believe they're above the school's laws. For example, I remember in 1st year (when everyone is expected timid and such) how an Israeli student shouted at a teacher just because the student didn't get a full mark of an essay question. His excuse, "I didn't understand what you were asking in the question because English is not my first language." No excuse can be flimsier than this. Another incident was in 2nd year anatomy when another Israeli student openly threatened a teacher because as he (the student) claimed, the teacher failed students anyhow.
We have a student body for foreign students and since I came to this school, only once did we have a president of another nationality (other than Israeli). Even she had to resign (albeit having a good record) on account of being frustrated by her executives comprising of mostly Israelis. It is an undeniable fact that they call it shots here.
Please understand that I'm not some envious student here to let off steam. No, far from that. Besides, they have really fought hard (and still are) with the "autocratic" school management to better our overall academic excellence. I'm just so amazed at how wimpy the Hungarians are as to allow such effrontery from them (and not other nationals). Only some level of immunity can explain that.

bidiboom
01-31-2012, 11:50 AM
Ayhh africal_child, why didt you tell all those earlier :( everybody needs such feedbacks about schools.. its worse than I thought, but not something I didnt expect. Thats what I was meaning with "club".. they are turning Debrecen to a club and because of financial ties behind, the administration cant have a backbone.. it looks somewhat (or totally!) be something like that.

Its really sad :( why dont you transfer to another school, somewhere academically more respectable? Regularly I prefer to stay and fight, but there is a basic problem in Debrecen. Its not an organization, management or yadayada problem, its outright positive discrimination and the situation of the school administration is bitter! I cant believe it :( African_child DrJacobsen too is planning to go to Debrecen and I mentioned it as a good place to go :( Oh my Goooood! Though in any case he needs a premed year and maybe he jumps to another school after premed year in Debrecen, but I must tell this to him.. its too bad, maaaan :( and they charge money for this quality, right! Oh my God! Pathetic!

african_child
01-31-2012, 12:13 PM
Hi,
No, I would still recommend Debrecen to certain group of students.For example, those that are coming from a country not as developed as Hungary. Or those that are really determined to become doctors and are willing to spend a lot of their time on self study with their textbooks. Let's not throw out the baby w/ the bath water, OK. There are a couple of good things to say about the school, nonetheless.
If someone is from a developed country, however, Debrecen may not be the best choice for them. Mostly due to lack of organisation on the part of the administration.
There are a couple of respectable professors that the Israeli students don't mess with. In fact, nobody does. And I've been taught by a couple of very intelligent, well-renown professors. If you read my previous posts, my main argument is the somewhat generally insufficient teaching during the clinical years in Debrecen. Pre-clinicals are more or less at par w/ their Western European counterparts (or better). Whoever is interested in Debrecen should expect to travel back home during summer to strengthen their clinical skills. If one has these in mind and doesn't expect much from the school, one will be satisfied w/ their choice.

bidiboom
01-31-2012, 12:54 PM
hmm.. I see.. the Israeli population doesnt make a difference for the students of other nationalities, by the respect of education and exam scores, their problem is rather related with their attitude and their relations with the school. They are basically a problem for the school then, not other students, as long as you just look before you and dont demand something which is demanded by them.

But what if someday they begin to get more spoilt and mess up with other students, like bullying them or something?

As for clinicals, we really need a platform which will allow us to make comparisons among the schools by the respect of clinicals, but nobody has that motivation.. so I cant (I am afraid nobody cant) see which school is better. What if others actually are at the same quality with Debrecen, we cant see that clearly. Only the ones in the countries in which the patients are either expendable or too many, provide a lot of clinical experience, like Philippines, China, maybe Romania?

Unknown959
01-31-2012, 02:36 PM
Hi, alSiqilli
may I ask you a few questions pls? I am willing to take the chance that you will answer them as non-biased as possible. Thanks
1. are there still US kids at Semmelweis? I heard that they cannot receive federal loans because the school would have to quantify how many kids pass, during what years....etc. (that is for the USMLE's)
2. If there are students then are they on private loans or paying out of pocket? (US, Norwegian...etc. )
3. Concerning exams specifically..... I am under the impression/had actually experience with this, but do "some" students get photocopied booklets with questions in them, study those and on the day they take the exam they get kind of lucky and get the same questions. OR do the students also have to know the date to take the exam with those types of questions....like on the Tuesday instead of the Thursday?
4. I still don't understand the concept of passing an examination overall but in a specific segment being failed? Is this still happening?
5. It looks like "groups" have the ability to take on a kind of "lobbying" within the school.... how would they even go about this? Is there an understanding reached with the head, and from there its easy for everything to trickle down or ordered? But, the tuition is really high for Hungary so why would they need extra money? $16,000 is how much some north american schools are, yes, there are a few with this cost.
6. You mentioned your friend had to pay for things broken in lab, could you give other examples?

Basically, just want to gather more overall information. I have to say I do agree with all you say, hope everything turns out well for you.

Unknown959
01-31-2012, 02:38 PM
Hi, alSiqilli
may I ask you a few questions pls? I am willing to take the chance that you will answer them as non-biased as possible. Thanks
1. are there still US kids at Semmelweis? I heard that they cannot receive federal loans because the school would have to quantify how many kids pass, during what years....etc. (that is for the USMLE's)
2. If there are students then are they on private loans or paying out of pocket? (US, Norwegian...etc. )
3. Concerning exams specifically..... I am under the impression/had actually experience with this, but do "some" students get photocopied booklets with questions in them, study those and on the day they take the exam they get kind of lucky and get the same questions. OR do the students also have to know the date to take the exam with those types of questions....like on the Tuesday instead of the Thursday?
4. I still don't understand the concept of passing an examination overall but in a specific segment being failed? Is this still happening?
5. It looks like "groups" have the ability to take on a kind of "lobbying" within the school.... how would they even go about this? Is there an understanding reached with the head, and from there its easy for everything to trickle down or ordered? But, the tuition is really high for Hungary so why would they need extra money? $16,000 is how much some north american schools are, yes, there are a few with this cost.
6. You mentioned your friend had to pay for things broken in lab, could you give other examples?

Basically, just want to gather more overall information. I have to say I do agree with all you say, hope everything turns out well for you.

african_child
01-31-2012, 11:58 PM
Yes, I really wish there were. However, for Eastern Europe, I believe the clinical practice for international students suffers the same problems;
1. The doctors are paid peanuts. This drastically reduces their motivation to teach. (I don't know if those that teach international students are on the school's payroll in addition to their salaries). Either way, it doesn't make any difference. The doctors are more interested in the "tips" the patients give them than in taking the time to teach us.
2. In defense of them shirking their responsibilities, the doctors claim that the international students don't speak Hungarian and we don't show up for practice. This is not entirely true. There're a couple of students who took the time to learn the language and who attend all the practices. But even they are dissatisfied. Other students just don't come cuz they know they won't learn anything or the doctor might not show up.
3. All in all, the clinical practice leaves a LOT to be desired in terms of organisation, structuring and professionalism.
It's really a good idea to compare and see how our school stands among others. But I highly doubt that would help me much. My main concern is for my school to mend its ways and deliver its promise of "world-class" medical education.

chapelier
02-01-2012, 01:21 AM
Very much insightful and honest, thank you africal_child. May I ask one thing; with "In Debrecen, the Israelis run the school" do you mean they literally run the school, or metaphorically you say that? Do they put the rules of the game?
I think he means that jews are ruling the world. Usualy this kind of fantasy points in some sick (antisemit) minds
Just need a story about an israeli student shouting at a teacher.
(ps : I'm not jewish)

bidiboom
02-01-2012, 02:40 AM
I think he means that jews are ruling the world. Usualy this kind of fantasy points in some sick (antisemit) minds
Just need a story about an israeli student shouting at a teacher.
(ps : I'm not jewish)

For months he is here and for another prospective he has given a very positive reference about Debrecen. If he would have such a perception, anti-semitic or discriminative, he should have expressed this long ago, not after my specific questions.

The concern is not Jews, I dont have any discriminative stance against Jews or Israelis too, but its human nature to get loose and spoilt as they (especially youngsters) find a proper ground for this. To get an academical position with the power of money is pretty harmful in long term because of this reason.

Now I have more concerns about Jagiellonian as well, they live a very similar situation with Norwegians :confused: This is not Israeli/Norwegian question, this is to have special financial ties with the school.

african_child
02-01-2012, 05:54 AM
Thanks bidiboom for standing up for me. I won't honour his/her immature comment w/ a response. Ultimately, such provocative, abusive and disrespectful commment leads to some fiery arguments I'd rather avoid. I wonder how an innocuous discussion on the behaviour of a few group of Israelis metamorphosed into something like "Jews ruling the world." Hmm...shows a lack of proper undrestanding of the English language or a preconceived paranoid profiling.
On the other hand, I really wish the poster responds to some of my points. I may be wrong but IMO, that's probably the only way he'll love his medical studies.

bidiboom
02-01-2012, 07:11 AM
african_child I thinks its not about you, rather about me: I asked and digged more about Israelis in Debrecen, whether they run the school or not, and becasue I am a muslim Turk, he may have thought I asked that question with a racist reaction. It wasnt, but I think he understandably have an impression about Muslim/Jewish relations in his mind, as many others has. He is right as well, there is that kind of an endless dispute between those two communities, especially in Middle East (of course generally speaking). In Turkey the devout Muslims' Islamic priority is so that, we are first muslims, in Middle East they are first Arabs, and to get together under the most legitimate flag, they use Islam for pan-Arabic causes. By that regard Middle Easterns dont recognize Turks as a part of them (even as muslims!), neither by the respect of race, nor interpretation of Islam.

Of course Islam is totally out of this mess. The use of a disproportinate power and sweeping the Palestinians out of their places is totally unacceptible, but also Jews have every kind of right to have a home country. If Jews do something wrong, in Islam, they deserve disrespect for their deeds, not for themselves. The same goes for Muslims as well, nobody is immune before God. But I think Chapelier is used to see the wrong interpretation of Islam so much that he has this kind of a short-cut impression in his mind, which is not about you ;)

chapelier
02-01-2012, 11:59 AM
Thanks bidiboom for standing up for me. I won't honour his/her immature comment w/ a response.
Sure , putting the blame on all israeli community , stating that 'they rule the faculty" based on a ridiculous example , and this , in a country where antisemitism is very strong is indeed a very respectfull response.

epimed
02-01-2012, 12:45 PM
Hey chapelier, how about you take your negativity somewhere else? The discussion has been going on and everyone has been behaving as an adult until you came and started accusing someone of something that they didn't even mean.

I fully agree with bidiboom, the Jews deserve to have their own country and the middle eastern countries should respect that, and so should other countries. But it's hard to do that when you have Israel building new settlement homes every now and then. At the same time, it's hard for Israel to respect the rights of the people of Palestine when you have Hamas launching missiles on Israel every now and then. Ultimately, I believe that both sides should respect each other and take a serious look at their demands.

Personally, I will not respond to any further commnents made by chapelier. This forum is about med schools, not about politics. What I said above is only meant as my sole opinion on the matter.

With all due respect, I have noticed your behavior to be quite immature. First, you reply to threads regarding Ukrainian and Russian med schools with this notion in mind that they are not recognized in europe, let alone the negative comments you keep posting regarding these schools. And now you come to this thread and start accusing someone of having a sick minded-notion.

chapelier
02-01-2012, 01:24 PM
First, you reply to threads regarding Ukrainian and Russian med schools with this notion in mind that they are not recognized in europe, let alone the negative comments you keep posting regarding these schools.
2 points : I know EXACTLY what kind of recognition ukrainian and russian MD have in eastearn europe (= low, and depending on each receiver country)
2nd point : I have a very good opinion about these scools , I know from several transfert students that especialy ukraine has really good standards now , and I would even say better than a lot of medschols in EU My opinion is that ukrainian MD and some of the russian ones (from main state faculties) should be recognised in EU , considering that ro and bg ones are...
I'm not the one who started with immature comments , sentences like "Israeli rule semmelweis" should just be banned from any normal discussion , especialy on a medschool forum , and based on suspicious personal winesses. I don't want to involve in anything political as you do now , because actually I don't give a s*** about what is happening around these countries (just agree with your point , Jews deserve a land) , I have enough to care about mine(s) , but allow me to react when I read such inept statements like he did. What's the aim? israeli people are the ones who made it fail his school maybe ? looking for someone to blame?

regarding transferts to western europe now , generaly you have to fullfill the criterias to be admitted in the school you aim : For belgium and France , you have to take and succeed the full 1st year , in spain for instance , (science) baccalaureat (highschool grade) results should be >4/5 , depending on the school. For Italy , there is an entrance exam to succeed (and then you can ask for recognition of credits) . As there are no general rule for theses countries , some private schools may be (a little) less demanding

bidiboom
02-01-2012, 04:03 PM
...in a country where antisemitism is very strong...

False. In Turkey there are antisemitists, but the greatest population has commonsense, conscience, but also has reaction about brutal force use of Israel over Palestine.

...should just be banned...

I dont agree. Everything should be freely talked, as you yourself do too.

...What's the aim?...

To understand the academical quality of the school. Debrecen is financially gripped by a body (in this example Israel) and cant stand with a strong backbone before the members of that body (students). Its really sad on one hand, dangerous on the other. In some countries' armies, we know that, the rape rate is so high that it became reason to make special documentaries about it. Also some religious circles have provided a ground for children molestations. In both cases the reason of the depth of those cases was power and injustice. If someday in Debrecen one non-Israeli student is raped or bullied by an Israeli student, and if its covered, I wont find it incredible. This is not about being Israeli, its about human nature, anybody from any other nationality as well may do that in case of feeling upper hand. I sound like exaggerating, but I know what "human" means, the extent they can go in evil. These kind of platforms provide injustice and cover-up.

chapelier
02-01-2012, 04:42 PM
I dont agree. Everything should be freely talked, as you yourself do too.
so we keep racist and antisemit comments too under the cover of "free speech"... nice conception
because stating that "israeli rule summelweis faculty" is a severe accusation , with absolutly no fun evidence (obviously) , that has the same taste than all theories we read in these "books" like protocols of the elders of zion , a taste of racism
my comments are my opinion and stay legal (I mean , say that Ukraine is not part of EU is still not illegal?)
Regarding freedom of speech , when I read what your country just put 68 jurnalists in jail ...

bidiboom
02-01-2012, 05:14 PM
...your country just put 68 jurnalists in jail...

Chapelier hundreds, even tousands of journalists are free, many tv channels and their reputable anchors of opposite point of view are criticizing government everyday, they dont limit their criticals, not a bit, but those 60 journalists are in jail. If it is because of lack of freedom of speech, then why arent those very strong anchors, producers... not in jail, but those 60 guys are? Isnt it against of reasoning?

There are multiple and sound evidences about them that they were a part of an underground organization which was plotting attacks (with bombs, not words!), begging the brass for a military coup and preparing for a turmoil which would get down the government over illegal ways (we, all of the society, watch the details of the case everyday). Their trial is underway, not finished yet.

This thread, these threads are not appropriate for those talks actually, but I see a need for information, so I went on. I think we talked a lot about those stuff, didnt we?

bidiboom
02-01-2012, 05:28 PM
...so we keep racist and antisemit comments too under the cover of "free speech"...

Ok, this is important: If you believe that Jews (or Turks.. or French) are bad guys (or any criticism) and if you are a free person, you must be able to express this, of course you must be able to do that! But then you will need to reason it as well. But if you humiliate Jewish people with an offensive language, then this becomes a crime, not freedom.

ebonyeyes
03-06-2012, 01:49 AM
AFRICANCHILD

Are you still here? Gosh i am thinking of transfering to Debrecene because of the exact same situation in that there is unfairness in here and that they are continously making Life hell for students. So would you say Debrecene is a Good bet? It seems Sammelweis has the same problem as well and Im not sure about Pecs. Why have an English program if you are ill organised and choose to treat the internationals like dirt? The Hungarian students do better ofcourse they do they have the better teachers, they are on home soil and infact better relationship with the teachers due to their language. I am tired of this place to be frank with you. I learn nothing in class and like you do better studying my textbooks or online videos.

african_child
03-11-2012, 11:54 AM
@ebonyeyes,
Unfortunately, you'll meet the same problems in Debrecen, if not worse. Indeed, poor student administration and organisation is pervasive in ALL the Hungarian medical schools. (A fellow student once opined that they didn't think it through before starting the international students' programmme:( ) Leaving one HU medical school for another because of those reasons isn't useful at all. Your best bet is to transfer to another country entirely, or even outside Eastern Europe since the aforementioned problems are "endemic" here. I hear that countries in the Western Europe like Italy and Spain have recently started some medical studies in English. So, if finances are not a problem and you're not concerned about their "newness" then they're worth a shot.
As for me, I've gone far in my studies to think about transferring within or outside Hungary, even though the incompetence of the people running the international medical education in Debrecen continue to infuriate me! I'll admit, though, that in my 3 plus something years here, things are s l o w l y gettting better. My major issue with Debrecen, however, is not as much to do with the school as it has with the people living here. I've been to Budapest a couple of times (I have a friend studying there) and the Hungarians there are somewhat more hospitable to foreigners. Yes, I agree that it's the capital city and they're more exposed to foreigners. But Debrecen claims to be teaching in English since the '80s and I think >20 years is a damn long time for the countryside folks to at least be nice to foreigners. (I'm black African though and this may probably contribute to their hostility:confused:)
Anyway, in a nutshell, transferring to Debrecen won't solve your problems. In fact, it'll probably add more! If you've not gone far in your studies then this is the time to leave Hungary. You've already said you don't learn anything in class. For me, that's just a deal breaker. :(
Debrecen has it's advantages ( and I'm somewhat satisfied with my studies here). But unfortunately, it's flaws are just way too many to be ignored.:(

african_child
03-12-2012, 12:33 AM
@ebonyeyes,
Unfortunately, you'll meet the same problems in Debrecen, if not worse. Indeed, poor student administration and organisation is pervasive in ALL the Hungarian medical schools. (A fellow student once opined that they didn't think it through before starting the international students' programmme:( ) Leaving one HU medical school for another because of those reasons isn't useful at all. Your best bet is to transfer to another country entirely, or even outside Eastern Europe since the aforementioned problems are "endemic" here. I hear that countries in the Western Europe like Italy and Spain have recently started some medical studies in English. So, if finances are not a problem and you're not concerned about their "newness" then they're worth a shot.
As for me, I've gone far in my studies to think about transferring within or outside Hungary, even though the incompetence of the people running the international medical education in Debrecen continue to infuriate me! I'll admit, though, that in my 3 plus something years here, things are s l o w l y gettting better. My major issue with Debrecen, however, is not as much to do with the school as it has with the people living here. I've been to Budapest a couple of times (I have a friend studying there) and the Hungarians there are somewhat more hospitable to foreigners. Yes, I agree that it's the capital city and they're more exposed to foreigners. But Debrecen claims to be teaching in English since the '80s and I think >20 years is a damn long time for the countryside folks to at least be nice to foreigners. (I'm black African though and this may probably contribute to their hostility:confused:)
Anyway, in a nutshell, transferring to Debrecen won't solve your problems. In fact, it'll probably add more! If you've not gone far in your studies then this is the time to leave Hungary. You've already said you don't learn anything in class. For me, that's just a deal breaker. :(
Debrecen has it's advantages ( and I'm somewhat satisfied with my studies here). But unfortunately, it's flaws are just way too many to be ignored.:(

bidiboom
03-12-2012, 02:47 AM
Ebonyeyes may I ask how much did you proceed? At which year? And which school(if you feel comfortable with sharing here in public)? Also can you give us some more idea about who turns the school to hell how? You seem feel really bad.. its an important point, we must understand..

bidiboom
03-12-2012, 11:15 AM
...I'm black African though and this may probably contribute to their hostility...

African_child, Hungary today has a dictatorial governance, and the "alarming" point is that Hungarians seem approving their government, albeit not all of them. Until you graduate, its better, IMHO, to see their intellectual/spiritual problems from a distance, and keep yourself out of it in your mind. Otherwise to be exposed to sick state-of-minds, sick attitudes, eyes, behaviours all the time, may get your mood down. Never ever! never ever let these kind of people get in your blood, anywhere in the world. This is their sickness. Keep yourself out of it as much as possible, my sweet.

ebonyeyes
03-18-2012, 05:13 AM
@ebonyeyes,

Hello African Child, thanks for the reply. I am African too. Sighs im tired I am in my ist year and like you said this schools claim to have been teaching the English program for 25years yeat they look like they just opened for business last year so ill organised and so very uncompasionate to the students all they want is money money and money they dont care if students fail thankfully I didnt fail the last semester but the failure rate was really high and they keep comparing us to the hungarian students and laughing at the English students. The mentality is to take and take and take. Now we all have to learn the language perfectly but i seat in some lectures and wonder whether I signed up for the English Course sometimes we even have to help the teachers with phrases in class. I feel why am I paying this money for this? I know I am not far gone yet but trying to look for another Medical school outside Eastern Europe with similar fees is difficult. I feel stuck when I shouldnt.

@Bidiboom
The school is hell in that they do not care if you pass or fail infact they seem happier if you fail and they seem to put things in place to ensure that happens if you know what I mean. I know we are in University and shouldnt be spoonfeed but hell I feel like I dont even get anything from the lectures sometimes the teachers say you have brains go and read and I wonder why am I paying then? The laugh at you when you fail I have seen that happen I was shocked. I mean if students are failing shouldnt you examine your system and wonder why? And also students dont have a voice here its a dictatorial system they wake up and just change things for the worse for students. Scary situation and the sad thing is more students keep trooping in. They are nice to the German studnets though even the ones in the English program they all seem to get good grades even with mediocre answers.

ebonyeyes
03-18-2012, 05:19 AM
African Child,

what are the advantages of Debrecene? I hear they beat up the black people there is that true? I agree if they have had forigners for 20years they should atleast be used to us now and even make life habitable. I must say in Szeged the people are nice and warm and try to help eventhough the English is poor or nonexistant.

the_red_devil
03-18-2012, 10:37 AM
African Child,

what are the advantages of Debrecene? I hear they beat up the black people there is that true? I agree if they have had forigners for 20years they should atleast be used to us now and even make life habitable. I must say in Szeged the people are nice and warm and try to help eventhough the English is poor or nonexistant.
I'm an Indian student in Debrecen and I can't say I've had any racist issues so far here. There is a large population of coloured people here and I don't think there have been any hostilities recently. The locals are mostly nice and helpful people but you do get your share of people trying to rip you off for a quick buck.

african_child
03-22-2012, 01:08 AM
@ebonyeyes:

what are the advantages of Debrecene
To my knowledge, Debrecen has no advantage whatsoever over Semmelweis. (except the lower tuition fees, which is sadly catching up). I assumed that Semmelweis would have more professionalism since, as the highest ranking school in the country, would have more experienced professors. But then, maybe this problem is restricted to its medical school & not the university as a whole. IMO, you would be the best to judge if Debrecen is OK for you. Try, no don't try, GET some time off to come over here and see things for yourself. Get on the train someday, come over and attend 2-3 lectures and assess the teachers yourself. You can even squeeze into a seminar and compare w/ what you have back in Semmelweis. That will the best way to know if you can manage here. Also, as I pointed out severally, my main problem isn't w/ the school per se. No, I learn from some remarkable professors/doctors here. For me, the main issue is the city and the people in it. Coming from a big city like Budapest, you'll probably encounter the same problem.

I hear they beat up the black people there is that true?
Yes, this happens but not so often. I'm amazed that people find this hard to believe. Believe it or not, there was a time in my 1st year when the tram (yes, tram!) didn't stop for me. Well, it did stop, but didn't open the front door for me to get on. As of today, some people still don't believe this when I tell them. But as more and more black people are coming to this school, soon our number will make us a force to reckon with. Here's a local news website w/ some revealing tale :

Skinheads assault Nigerians in Debrecen | The Debrecen Sun (http://www.debrecensun.hu/police/2012/03/12/skinheads-assault-nigerians-in-debrecen/)

I must say in Szeged the people are nice and warm and try to help eventhough the English is poor or nonexistant.
Truth is, once one is studying outside their country of origin, things will always be hard. It goes just beyond the education, but also encompasses the people, their mindset, culture, bureaucracy and the city as a whole. I may have been somewhat satisfied w/ the education I get in Debrecen. But I can't say the same for the city and the people. Maybe it's just me as a few people I know say they like the city. But I think this city is still living in the 50s. No one seems to take responsibility for anything.
I don't have a solution for your dilemma of being "stuck when I shouldn't". But my advice is to keep a positive attitude, study from your textbooks and ask questions during seminars, and also stick w/ those professors that stand out (especially later during your clinicals). Also make friends, especially international students, to share some laughs with. B4 you know it, you'll be almost through and about to leave. Honestly, there's no getting used to the system. Just utilize the best it has to offer.

bidiboom
03-22-2012, 04:57 AM
I think the biggest issues of Europe today is their intellectual limits and state-of-mind. They cant raise quality leaders, for a very long time they lean on right wing too much and they are reacting more and more instinctively rather than intellectually. Their responses at state, institutional or individual level are implying that they intellectually turn back to Middeaval Age of Europe, which is not weird. All of the humanity lived with waves of development-loss ups and downs. Europe is not living a downward trend because of a side effect of todays global economical trends. Rather they live inherent problems.

These problems are very much related with their intellectual problems. Dont take their problems on yourself, pass by them without messing up with and take care of yourself as much as possible in students' communities as Africal_child says as well.

PS: Of course I say this with some reserve. For instance you cant see the general state-of-mind of Hungarians, of course generally speaking, in Polish. Its really very interesting to see how the peoples can create different worlds, different societies in long times with their choices. There is not one Europe, and most part of it needs a revolutionary change in their visions, which doesnt look likely for now. They are still leaning on imperial vision and obviously it doesnt work in todays world.

Dulgar
03-23-2012, 08:19 AM
I don't see get the point of your last message Bidiboom, I'd quote but it's not working at the moment so I'll have to live with that. I'm hoping you're referring to eastern Europe with your statement..

You do realize that Poland and Hungary both have the same way of thinking right? At least seeing it from a Swedish point of view they're both just as bad with their stupid rules. Poland is even worse in terms of criminality, at least from Swedish eyes, the Czech republic seems to be 1000 times better than Poland and Hungary.

Ebonyeyes

You should stay in Semmelweis, I really can't see any advantage of coming to Debrecen, if you really want out, Debrecen is not the right choice. Maybe Czech Republic? Although I've no idea how the racism is there.

bidiboom
03-23-2012, 09:36 AM
Dulgar I have this opinion about rather continental Europe. Besides I definitely dont see Hungary and Poland similar, but it would be great for us to see them from your eyes. This would be an important feedback for us. Please dont misunderstand me, I dont wait for you to draw a big picture about them, but I really would appreciate it if you tell your experiences or knowledge about them. For instance by which criteria they are the same from your point of view? Can you give examples? Also you seem appreciate Czech more than Poland and Hungary, how so? I mean by which aspects?

It really would be helpful to see things from your eyes as well :)

ebonyeyes
03-23-2012, 12:50 PM
Hey Guys you misunderstood me im actually in the University fo Szeged. And African Child the way you describe things is the exact same shiit i am facing here. Their educational system is authocratic and democratic, students have no say. The reason why im surprised is that I thought in Europe things are much more democratic. The only good thing about this city is that the people are friendly and nice and willing to help and the weather is lovely especially now. But the educational system needs reform. They also want to be a computer and know everything. I think sometimes its too much and its not like the explain these things in lectures.

But im happy for you African child you have survived and can see the exit door. Do you have pathophys this year? that is a major problem in Szeged alot of students fail it. Infact the school is indifferent and perharps happy due to more tuition coming into their pockets. My friend has a friend in Debrecene and he is loving it infact he looks way more chilled out than us in szeged. I may have to come down soon. But the problem is I have no time the workload here is crazy ridiculous

ebonyeyes
03-23-2012, 12:52 PM
Gosh reading that page about the assult on Nigerian students is chilling I mean that is so 1950s. It is no wonder they are not as progressive as multicultural societies like the UK and US. We can learn from all races there is no need for this in 2012. Gees.

devildoc8404
03-23-2012, 12:58 PM
There is an enormous difference in this regard between E-EU and W-EU. I am not saying that racism and closed-mindedness do not exist in the West, because they certainly do, but the educational system is far more advanced and equitable.

african_child
03-24-2012, 06:29 AM
Hey Guys you misunderstood me im actually in the University fo Szeged.

Sorry about that. :(

The only good thing about this city is that the people are friendly and nice and willing to help ...
Based on my experience so far, Debrecen is the direct opposite. But some students may disagree.

Do you have pathophys this year?

No, I don't. I'm already in my 4th year and I'm done w/ all basic science courses. In Debrecen, we call it Clinical Physiology and is taken in the 2nd semester of 3rd year. A very very important and interesting course. Take it very serious :)

My friend has a friend in Debrecene and he is loving it infact he looks way more chilled out than us in szeged. I may have to come down soon.

Which year is your friend in? 1st year in Debrecen is the least taxing. Usually, things get heated up from 2nd year. And in my opinion, 3rd year is the most taxing. The sheer volume of pathology is enough to drive you insane.

But the problem is I have no time the workload here is crazy ridiculous

No one has time in medical school. You HAVE to create one. I still insist that if you want out of Szeged (or Hungary) altogether, this is the right to do so. Trust me, things don't get better as you move on. Make a few days worth of sacrifice to save yourself years of frustration and/or regret.

bidiboom
03-25-2012, 04:33 PM
Maybe relevant for you too (especially "the notion of a lack of alternatives offends human reason, because it amounts to a ban on thought"):
http://www.valuemd.com/miscellaneous-231/interesting-analysis-europe-223333/#post1439985

Iwasrightin2008Hehe
03-26-2012, 07:58 PM
@ebonyeyes,
As for me, I've gone far in my studies to think about transferring within or outside Hungary, even though the incompetence of the people running the international medical education in Debrecen continue to infuriate me! I'll admit, though, that in my 3 plus something years here, things are s l o w l y gettting better. My major issue with Debrecen, however, is not as much to do with the school as it has with the people living here. I've been to Budapest a couple of times (I have a friend studying there) and the Hungarians there are somewhat more hospitable to foreigners. Yes, I agree that it's the capital city and they're more exposed to foreigners. But
Debrecen claims to be teaching in English since the '80s and I think >20 years is a damn long
time for the countryside folks to at least be nice to foreigners. (I'm black African though and
this may probably contribute to their hostility:confused:)
Anyway, in a nutshell, transferring to Debrecen won't solve your problems. In fact, it'll probably
add more! If you've not gone far in your studies then this is the time to leave Hungary. You've
already said you don't learn anything in class. For me, that's just a deal breaker. :(

Hi african_child. Remember me? :) I am Antony Peterson or better known as Avoid_H :)

Remember I warned you about all these problems you would encounter back in 2008 but you didn't believe me and prefered to make fun of me and came anyway? :)

:D :D :D

God knows how many more will make the same mistake you did :( :( :(
As I remember you were advising potential students not to believe anyone and come to Hungary to "see for themselves". Where did that go? :-)

african_child
03-27-2012, 12:35 AM
Hi african_child. Remember me? :) I am Antony Peterson or better known as Avoid_H :)

Remember I warned you about all these problems you would encounter back in 2008 but you didn't believe me and prefered to make fun of me and came anyway? :)

:D :D :D

God knows how many more will make the same mistake you did :( :( :(
As I remember you were advising potential students not to believe anyone and come to Hungary to "see for themselves". Where did that go? :-)

Hi Anthony,
I DO remember reading a couple of your posts back in the day when I was desperately searching for info about HU medical schools. What I DON'T remember is us having the conversation you're talking about. With all respect, you're gloating at the wrong person. :p
But I may know the person you're talking about. Whattupdog6969 was someone back in the day who supported Debrecen and refuted some of your "exaggerated" claims. So, most likely he's the one you're looking for. But good luck with that, since unlike you, he's probably too busy to come over here again.LOL
FWIW, both of your posts were tremendously helpful in changing the way I saw (and still see) Derbecen. Yours in particular had made me not to expect much from the school. And that has helped a lot in adapting here. Since I can't remember thanking you before, accept my gratitude now.:D
As I close this gist, I'm still trying to remember if I have ever replied to your posts as regards the topic on hand. The more I think about it, the more it seems unlikely. Look, I never started asking prospective students that can to come see things for themselves first before applying until I was done w/ my first year which was in late 2009. So I highly doubt we talked about this in 2008. PLEASE prove me wrong!
BTW, are you also the medical_student_hungary guy? That guy was hardcore! Lol. :D

Iwasrightin2008Hehe
03-27-2012, 12:39 PM
Don't worry, I haven't confused you with Whattupdog6969. How do you know that he is even alive after the experience of a medical university in Hungary LOL

I told you in 2008 that you would get depressed (due to all the problems you would find here) if you didn't listen to me and go on with your plans and come to Hungary to study medicine. You chose not to listen to me!

I am not medical_student_hungary, but I can tell you that your above post of your experience so far in 2012 is even more hardcore LOL Seems to me you got more depressed than I originally thought ROF****!

Well, i warned you in 2008 and now its 2012. All I can tell you now is: I TOLD YA SO HA HA HA!

Nobody can adapt to daily depression, so don't thank me for it.
My new advice to you (which I hope you listen this time) is:

2+ remaining years of studies is A LOT of time! So...
"I hear that countries in the Western Europe like Italy and Spain have recently started some medical studies in English. So, if finances are not a problem and you're not concerned about their "newness" then they're worth a shot.

Good luck in your endeavours"

Your 2008 friend, Antony Peterson HA HA HA

african_child
03-27-2012, 01:37 PM
Don't worry, I haven't confused you with Whattupdog6969. How do you know that he is even alive after the experience of a medical university in Hungary LOL

I told you in 2008 that you would get depressed (due to all the problems you would find here) if you didn't listen to me and go on with your plans and come to Hungary to study medicine. You chose not to listen to me!

I am not medical_student_hungary, but I can tell you that your above post of your experience so far in 2012 is even more hardcore LOL Seems to me you got more depressed than I originally thought ROF****!

Well, i warned you in 2008 and now its 2012. All I can tell you now is: I TOLD YA SO HA HA HA!

Nobody can adapt to daily depression, so don't thank me for it.
My new advice to you (which I hope you listen this time) is:

2+ remaining years of studies is A LOT of time! So...
"I hear that countries in the Western Europe like Italy and Spain have recently started some medical studies in English. So, if finances are not a problem and you're not concerned about their "newness" then they're worth a shot.

Good luck in your endeavours"

Your 2008 friend, Antony Peterson HA HA HA

For the purpose of closing this conversation, I admit that you were right the 1st time. And you still ARE right. Happy?
For the record, I have never mentioned I was depressed nor have any of my posts alluded to that. However, studying medicine in a foreign country does double the amount of the normal stress in medical school to which I'm currently under.
I can see that you quote from one of my posts to someone else, I'm honoured that you read them :). If you go back to read them again, you'll see that my main issues aren't w/ the school itself per se, but rather have to do more w/ the city and the mentality of its people. I clearly pointed this out, even people w/ the most jaundiced opinion will see.
Trust me, I've always pointed out that Debrecen may not be the right place for students from advanced countries like the US, Japan, Sweden etc who are used to a more efficient and better organised system. But there are a group of students (albeit small) that are OK with their choice of Debrecen.
I'm going to assume that you're happy studying medicine (or even finished) at wherever you transferred to. I'm happy for you about that. Because some people that couldn't adapt to the system in Hungary have been depressed to the point of giving up their dreams of becoming doctors altogether. If you are not among them, then you deserve a special kudos. :)
Anyway, 2008 is a long time from since you were here. Of course, some things remained the same. But certain things have definitely changed. Some of your claims might just be obsolete.
Please take note I TOTALLY agree w/ you that based on its inherent problems, Debrecen is not the right choice for certain students (see above). Hence my continuous insistence that people that can should travel here and see & judge things for themselves first hand.
I rest my case and would not reply further to this conversation.
Have a nice day, Anthony. :D

bidiboom
03-27-2012, 02:09 PM
African_child, I really never could be as excellent in expressing myself as you can, and I have never been as noble in style as you are. Just hats off! I wished you to be my own son hahaha :D

Iwasrightin2008Hehe
03-27-2012, 02:39 PM
african_child and bidiboom, from both of your anwers it seems to me you are heavily depressed which is not your fault (who blames you since you chose medical studies in Hungary). Its too late now, you made that mistake, now the only thing you can do is to lie to yourselves, be in self-denial and agree with each other (obvious signs of serious depression from your posts). Good luck in continuing your studies in "depression-mode":)

Antony Peterson (saving young peoples lives since 2008*)

* applies only for those who want to be saved!

Iwasrightin2008Hehe
03-27-2012, 03:01 PM
...and for the rest of the people viewing this thread:

Want to be a doctor? A dentist? Study at one of the top Hungarian medical universities in the world! 100% acceptance rate with ONLY 75% student failure rate!* What are you waiting for? APPLY TODAY!

*post #9 of current thread

Iwasrightin2008Hehe
03-27-2012, 03:14 PM
@african_child Trust me, I've always pointed out that Debrecen may not be the right place for students from advanced countries like the US, Japan, Sweden etc who are used to a more efficient and better organised system. But there are a group of students (albeit small) that are OK with their choice of Debrecen.

With 75% exam failure rate? Yeah, right! How can that ever be OK?

Dulgar
03-28-2012, 10:03 AM
With 75% exam failure rate? Yeah, right! How can that ever be OK? To be fair, things here are super mega disorganized. There are some teachers here that act ridiculously rude, like the one I have in Cell biology lab, but if you study you'll make it, 75% exam failure rate means 75% the total no. of students should not be here in the first place. We've some awesome teachers, but most of the classes are just stupid and I at least am relying on tutoring and self study, with student notes. If you fail then, sorry but you need to better your study techniques. To anyone thinking of applying here, you have to be a shark, you need to get a hold of past papers, student notes, befriend the "past-paper" community, study the way they want you to study here.

I don't see why anyone would be depressed here, the only reason I find myself going "meh" sometimes is because of the fact that I come from the big city, and this is a very, very small city, more like a village from my point of view..

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.