PDA

View Full Version : NUMC Anesthesia

pete29
01-26-2012, 05:36 PM
Does anyone have any feedback on the anesthesia elective at NUMC??? Any recommendations for anesthesia electives at other hospitals?

Thanks

GKrause
02-01-2012, 10:44 PM
Does anyone have any feedback on the anesthesia elective at NUMC??? Any recommendations for anesthesia electives at other hospitals?

Thanks

I really enjoyed my rotation there. The residency was shut down voluntarily by the hospital, but the current residents are finishing out. The Chair, Dr. P and the PD, Dr. F are both very well-respected and like to teach. When they found out I was applying for anesthesiology this year, they went out of their way to point out interesting cases/managment decisions/procedures. I was always welcome in any room by any of the faculty and residents. Got a fairly light to medium case load each day. You start at 7, and generally leave around 2-3 ish, sometimes early if the board is light for the day. Good mix of cases, mostly ortho and general surg with some craniotomies, thoracotomies, etc thrown in. They even provide the Baby Miller textbook for you to read during the month, which is very easy and conversational. I felt like I had great exposure to the field. Depending on how busy a given day is, and how sick the patients are, you are allowed to start IVs, do intubations, occasionally help draw up medications alongside the resident. No art lines or CVPs, but you can assist with them and see lots of nerve blocks under U/S guidance.

In short:

A+++ : Would rotate there again.

Hope this helps

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.