PDA

View Full Version : Elective setup help

TrollFace
01-20-2012, 11:23 AM
So ideally I'd like to go into Neurology and after April 6th I have about 2 months to fill before I start my surg core. I've been trying to get just the elective for neuro at teaching hospitals that have neuro residencies but to no avail, so is it best to just do a neuro elective at one of our rotation sites that AUC listed (bluebook) and then try and schedule a sub-i in neuro at a greenbook site later on? Or do both the elective and sub-i elective need to be greenbook?

Goonies2803
01-23-2012, 04:29 PM
So ideally I'd like to go into Neurology and after April 6th I have about 2 months to fill before I start my surg core. I've been trying to get just the elective for neuro at teaching hospitals that have neuro residencies but to no avail, so is it best to just do a neuro elective at one of our rotation sites that AUC listed (bluebook) and then try and schedule a sub-i in neuro at a greenbook site later on? Or do both the elective and sub-i elective need to be greenbook?

I did my neuro elective at NUMC prior to my cores due to scheduling conflicts, so that shouldn't be a problem. I also have a very good friend who actually got a neuro residency in NY after only doing the same rotation at NUMC. Unless things have changed in the past 2 years, it's certainly not unheard of getting a residency in neuro without needing to do another sub-i at a greenbook site (i.e. the AUC affiliated sites are sufficient). However, if you'd like to use that sub-i to "showcase" yourself come application time (especially if you wish to end up in TX or NJ) and get a good LOR, then by all means plan a sub-i. You will most likely have to start inquiring for sites now on your own; OCSA is pretty much useless when it comes to that sort of stuff. Hope that helps!

TrollFace
01-24-2012, 01:19 PM
I did my neuro elective at NUMC prior to my cores due to scheduling conflicts, so that shouldn't be a problem. I also have a very good friend who actually got a neuro residency in NY after only doing the same rotation at NUMC. Unless things have changed in the past 2 years, it's certainly not unheard of getting a residency in neuro without needing to do another sub-i at a greenbook site (i.e. the AUC affiliated sites are sufficient). However, if you'd like to use that sub-i to "showcase" yourself come application time (especially if you wish to end up in TX or NJ) and get a good LOR, then by all means plan a sub-i. You will most likely have to start inquiring for sites now on your own; OCSA is pretty much useless when it comes to that sort of stuff. Hope that helps!

Yes! Thank you kindly :).

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.