PDA

View Full Version : Why to avoid smu

CaribbeanGrad
01-15-2012, 10:47 AM
Trust me please, as a caribbean grad from Ross, you do no t want to throw away your time, money, and efforts with this school. I have tons of friends that went to this school, not one recommended that i send my brother to St. Matthew's. From the top of the school all the way down to faculty, they are a mess and do not give a rats A$$ about you. They offer no financial aid (unless you illegally use money from an mba program to pay off your medical school tuition, even with that waste of time you will be short), they are not licensed in many states, they will keep changing rules while you remain there, and they have all sorts of legal troubles, lawsuits, etc. So they are on a nice island? If that is your reason to go there, God help you :) Seriously, please look to the better schools, like ROSS, SGU, AUC, AMA, AUA, and I am sure others. This school will put you in debt or weed you out, actually both. If you think you won't fall into this category, trust me you don't want to think like that and you will wish you listened to me if you get yourself into this mess. I sent my brother there despite the warnings, and now he is in a huge bind. Help yourself and heed this advice, i am doing this only to save people the pain and agony of what my brother had to endure. Sarim

CaribbeanGrad
01-25-2012, 10:00 AM
Just to add, the school has a 50% attrition rate, ask around....they claim it is 10 % :) In their defense, most caribbean schools have a high attrition rate, but other schools will work with you and help when you have trouble. 3 people told me that SMU tried to expel them and get rid of them asap, and they got them off the island right away......look into AMA or AUA, one of those schools is now licensed in all 50 states, if you cannot get into one of the better schools like SGU, ROSS, AUC.

dailybasis28
01-25-2012, 09:02 PM
Refer to the next post...

dailybasis28
01-25-2012, 09:11 PM
It is actually more than 50%. One thing that has not been mentioned on this forum is that this school is weeding people out like there is no tomorrow because this school is trying to get their pass rate up for USMLE Step 1, so they need the best of the best. If they get their pass rate up, then supposedly they will get federal loans but I do not see that being possible if they do not have approval in all 50 states therefore this school is screwed.

Lately they have 30-40 students make it to 5th semester, but more than half those people have to repeat 4th semester just to get to 5th. They use some of the most useless classes (Histo, Behavioral Sci, ICM) just to weed people out. This school is retarded and out of their mind to do such a thing. Every month, they always bring about some rule change and cant get their program together.

This school plays a lot of politics and pampers certain students (the ones who get A's and ace classes), and dont give two pieces of you know what about the other students. The Dean and Professors openly support the stellar students and puts down the rest. I actually heard one professor right by his office say "...but you are my best student and I know you are going to ace Step 1...THIS SCHOOL NEEDS YOU." Even if a stellar student is caught cheating or is tested positive for marijuana or has someone sign them in for attendence or anything along those lines, they will get a slap on the wrist. As for the rest of the students in that situation...YOURE FINISHED!!!

This school also keeps a lot of secrets from their students as well as lying to them. Like when the school lost GMC, they lost it for the longest time and it leaked out eventually. Luckily they got it back but due to instabilty many students from the UK bounced. Also, they claimed that they had over a 90% pass rate for USMLE until the truth leaked out a year ago on this very forum that the pass rate was much lower at like 33%. They actually come into the classroom (the Dean and his student pet) and tell about how the match rate is not as high it should be because many students did not accept the match. Just straight up tell the students that they simply could not match or just keep hush hush about it. Also this school bends the rules and do not even go by their own handbook. One student I know of actually tried to grievance a test and followed the handbook rules. The Dean of Students and Behav prof Dr. B even approved of it until the next day they threatened to kick him out of the school for doing such a thing. This school is only looking out for themselves.

This school is shooting themselves in the foot and is simply going to go out of business. They practically scrwed themselves over back in 2005 when they tried to gain CA approval, which failed miserably. Just to stay in business and compete with other Carib schools, they are pulling all kinds of strings to survive. They are pushing all their chips towards the table since they are in a do or die situation as we speak. Their incoming classes are smaller and smaller by the semester, they dont have their own building, they dont have CA approval, and they dont have federal or private loans...DONT GO TO OR EVEN APPLY TO THIS SCHOOL. SCREW THEM!!!!

Dr Rich
01-25-2012, 11:16 PM
Things were pretty bad with Dr. N as Dean, but with The Almighty Dentist the school got totally out of control, with the Immoral Majority ruling the place. Even after the worst of them Dr. S the shady Neuro "professor" left, the downfall has continued. It's a real shame if you think of it but since the owners in that 3R at Orlando don't give a darn a$$ about this why should we? :rolleyes:

dailybasis28
01-26-2012, 06:33 PM
Trust me please, as a caribbean grad from Ross, you do no t want to throw away your time, money, and efforts with this school. I have tons of friends that went to this school, not one recommended that i send my brother to St. Matthew's. From the top of the school all the way down to faculty, they are a mess and do not give a rats butt about you. They offer no financial aid (unless you illegally use money from an mba program to pay off your medical school tuition, even with that waste of time you will be short), they are not licensed in many states, they will keep changing rules while you remain there, and they have all sorts of legal troubles, lawsuits, etc. So they are on a nice island? If that is your reason to go there, God help you :) Seriously, please look to the better schools, like ROSS, SGU, AUC, AMA, AUA, and I am sure others. This school will put you in debt or weed you out, actually both. If you think you won't fall into this category, trust me you don't want to think like that and you will wish you listened to me if you get yourself into this mess. I sent my brother there despite the warnings, and now he is in a huge bind. Help yourself and heed this advice, i am doing this only to save people the pain and agony of what my brother had to endure. Sarim

You are correct CaribGrad but as a former student of SMU (transferred into another school now), my post pretty much says it all. When you said changing rules, they most certainly did. To name a few things, here is what they have done since Sept 2010:

1. Raised credit hours per semester (30 hours per semester minimum). Dr K the Dean with his phony gold trim eyeglasses claims that this will raise Step scores. How is that even being efficient when 95% of studying is done by the student on their own?

2. You cannot move on to the next semester until you have completed all courses of that given semester. This is stupid because it keeps the student on the island longer and becomes a waste of money. (Ex. 2nd semester includes Biochem, Physio, Genetics, Biostats. If you dont make it in Biochem but make it in the other classes, then you can only take Biochem the next time around)

3. They went from the block exam schedule to the mini exam schedule.

4. Including Path 2 in 5th semester along with ICM, CT, and Kaplan. It would make sense to finish all of Basic Sciences first before going into Kaplan.

5. You must earn a minimum of 250 on Shelf Exams in order to qualify for a 50% grade for the final.

6. No more grieavance procedures, as you can only grievance testing procedures (virtually the grade you get is what you get and you might be scrwed regardless of a good reason)

7. The drop date is right after 2nd exams and not 3rd exams. 3rd exams came right before Block exams. This is retarded because it takes away a student's chance to raise their grade and possibly raise their buffer going into Shelves. The school claimed that they didnt want students to drop classes to focus on other classes just to pass. They also said that they do want students to do that. They go back n forth with this notion, again this school is retarded.

I am going to be honest and tell everyone on this forum that I am not trying to get revenge at this school. If anything I am trying to do people a favor by not applying to this school or to simply get up and leave. I certainly did and it was the best decision I have ever made. I got out while I had the chance, and it was the right move. Things get even uglier when you get to rotations as they have their own version of Dr. K and Dr. B.

dailybasis28
01-26-2012, 06:37 PM
This school is half empty compared to the previous semester. Half the school failed out or either they just got up and left. Each semester with the exception of first semester of the incoming fall semester has 30 students in each class.

shades mccool
01-27-2012, 08:39 AM
You are correct CaribGrad but as a former student of SMU (transferred into another school now), my post pretty much says it all. When you said changing rules, they most certainly did. To name a few things, here is what they have done since Sept 2010:

2. You cannot move on to the next semester until you have completed all courses of that given semester. This is stupid because it keeps the student on the island longer and becomes a waste of money. (Ex. 2nd semester includes Biochem, Physio, Genetics, Biostats. If you dont make it in Biochem but make it in the other classes, then you can only take Biochem the next time around)

5. You must earn a minimum of 250 on Shelf Exams in order to qualify for a 50% grade for the final.

6. No more grieavance procedures, as you can only grievance testing procedures (virtually the grade you get is what you get and you might be scrwed regardless of a good reason)

7. The drop date is right after 2nd exams and not 3rd exams. 3rd exams came right before Block exams. This is retarded because it takes away a student's chance to raise their grade and possibly raise their buffer going into Shelves. The school claimed that they didnt want students to drop classes to focus on other classes just to pass. They also said that they do want students to do that. They go back n forth with this notion, again this school is retarded.

I see nothing wrong with the changes above. You should not be allowed to move to the next semester until you finish all the classes up to that point. The drop date should be even earlier in my opinion. I had never heard of having a drop date that late into the semester before coming to SMU. As I have said before, why is it some students can go through the program and have no problems and pass Step 1 the first time, while others struggle and cry? I have an idea, they just were not cut out for it and refuse to accept that fact!

CaribbeanGrad
01-27-2012, 01:33 PM
Anyone have a handbook from SMU from 2007 or 08 or 09 or 10? My brother is filing a lawsuit against SMU, one of these handbooks would be very helpful.

dailybasis28
01-27-2012, 03:37 PM
Moving on to next semester, mixing some classes with other classes, should be allowed. Biochemistry and Behavoral Science have nothing in common, just saying...you tell me? Its unreasonable to go to an island away from home, pay rent to live elsewhere, and taking ONE CLASS while you are at it. People's pockets are on the line here, especially coming to an expensive island and to an institution that does not have any loans or funding for tuition. We are talking about going to a school and if it is reasonable or not in terms of learning, efficiency, and our pockets. IMO does not cut it for that. Why is the attrition rate much higher than 50%? I cant say that about any other Caribbean medical school.

You can also go to another school and pass Step 1 on the first try. SMU is not epitome of that, if they were then their pass rate for Step 1 would not be so low. Then again, I think passing Step 1 is all on the student. SMU nor any other school is going to teach you that.

And why is that 90% of the people who come ValueMD SMU forum have nothing nice to say about the school. Obviously the school's reputation shows for that. Did I also mention that the admissions department in Orlando is also very unorganized and takes like 6 lunch breaks a day, and takes them almost a month to get back to people's responses.

The OP of this thread even mentioned to go to another school acknowlegding that his brother is putting up with the filth at this school.

I do have nice things to say about the school...lets see...it is on a nice sunny island with a bunch of nice bars and clubs and chruches...I dont know Shades McCool what else is there?!?!? I didnt mean to talk about your school that your grandfather might own. Whoever it is, tell them I said sorry for insulting SMU like that. That was not my intention, just here to voice my opinion and give valuable advice about the school thats all!

I see nothing wrong with the changes above. You should not be allowed to move to the next semester until you finish all the classes up to that point. The drop date should be even earlier in my opinion. I had never heard of having a drop date that late into the semester before coming to SMU. As I have said before, why is it some students can go through the program and have no problems and pass Step 1 the first time, while others struggle and cry? I have an idea, they just were not cut out for it and refuse to accept that fact!

dailybasis28
01-27-2012, 03:56 PM
Anyone have a handbook from SMU from 2007 or 08 or 09 or 10? My brother is filing a lawsuit against SMU, one of these handbooks would be very helpful.

information.stmatthews.edu

You should try to that or call them at 1.800.498.9700

CaribbeanGrad
01-27-2012, 10:00 PM
I wouldn't be too concerned with Mr.Shades, I'm sure he has some stake (i.e. works for the school) in this. It's beyond ridiculous what they are doing now, and they don't have freakin' Financial AID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Each day students have to come in wondering what new hurdles will be placed ahead of them, and each semester they lower their standards more and more to the point where the only factor remains is who has the money to pay to play. BTW, my brother when he went to the Orlando office to ask for the student handbook, he was told it was online. He asked for help finding it, so they told him to go home and make an appointment and come back then. When he tried doing that, they wouldn't make him an appointment. I'm not saying they don't have a handbook, i just don't get their unprofessional and weird behavior. Why would you go to this school, really? make a list of pros and cons, and like daily basis said, all they got going for them is the island. Go to school somehere else and just visit cayman for vacation if you love the island so much.

CaribbeanGrad
01-27-2012, 10:02 PM
btw thanks for that info on the handbook as well. appreciate it.

dailybasis28
01-27-2012, 11:27 PM
btw thanks for that info on the handbook as well. appreciate it.

Np man. I hope you do end up finding it. I left that school a while ago (transferred elsewhere). Since Sept 2010, they have been changing things up quite a bit but it got insanely ugly in July 2011. This is when AUA got CA approval. Plus UMHS has also been on the rise and will probably pass SMU soon enough so SMU had to start pulling strings. SMU is nickel and diming at this point and it did not seem like SMU has a bright future if any at all, so to be safe I got the heck out of there. One more thing I forgot to mention is that other professors behind close doors would actually tell other students to get out of the place, so Shades McCool can take that and shove it where it does not shine.

shades mccool
01-28-2012, 04:15 PM
Why is the attrition rate much higher than 50%? I cant say that about any other Caribbean medical school.

You can also go to another school and pass Step 1 on the first try. SMU is not epitome of that, if they were then their pass rate for Step 1 would not be so low. Then again, I think passing Step 1 is all on the student. SMU nor any other school is going to teach you that.

1. Why is the attrition rate high you ask? That is easy, the school accepts some students that have no business in medical school. Medical school is not their first priority or they just are not smart enough! That is why SMU's rate is so high.
2. I am glad you acknowledged that passing the step is on the student. The school cannot make you go home and study. It is up to the individual. If you do not pass the Step or your classes for that matter, it is your fault not the school. I don't care what policies the school changed or how many classes you can take at once, that should not matter. This is not high school or undergrad anymore and nobody is going to hold your hand. So man up and accept responsibility.

shades mccool
01-28-2012, 04:20 PM
I wouldn't be too concerned with Mr.Shades, I'm sure he has some stake (i.e. works for the school) in this. It's beyond ridiculous what they are doing now, and they don't have freakin' Financial AID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Each day students have to come in wondering what new hurdles will be placed ahead of them, and each semester they lower their standards more and more to the point where the only factor remains is who has the money to pay to play. BTW, my brother when he went to the Orlando office to ask for the student handbook, he was told it was online. He asked for help finding it, so they told him to go home and make an appointment and come back then. When he tried doing that, they wouldn't make him an appointment. I'm not saying they don't have a handbook, i just don't get their unprofessional and weird behavior. Why would you go to this school, really? make a list of pros and cons, and like daily basis said, all they got going for them is the island. Go to school somehere else and just visit cayman for vacation if you love the island so much.
They have not had financial aid in like two years, that is nothing new. Students know that going in, so that is not an excuse for failure.

dailybasis28
01-28-2012, 08:32 PM
So maybe I was right when I said your gradfather owns the school LOL.
Correction: The attrition rate did not used to be until this past year or so. Perhaps there are reasons for why they are weeding out students now and not before.
Changing policies does matter because a lot of them are unnecessary and is affecting most people. Lets be serious, if a student is dropping 12-13K per semester I think they should deserve better. Nobody is asking to be pampered here.
Besides I am just voicing my opinion about the school in general and not about how easy or hard the school. Talking about the school as far as quality goes and deserving a better education. Get your S*** straight shady!

1. Why is the attrition rate high you ask? That is easy, the school accepts some students that have no business in medical school. Medical school is not their first priority or they just are not smart enough! That is why SMU's rate is so high.
2. I am glad you acknowledged that passing the step is on the student. The school cannot make you go home and study. It is up to the individual. If you do not pass the Step or your classes for that matter, it is your fault not the school. I don't care what policies the school changed or how many classes you can take at once, that should not matter. This is not high school or undergrad anymore and nobody is going to hold your hand. So man up and accept responsibility.

dailybasis28
01-29-2012, 01:46 PM
I should have started a thread about the pros and cons, or simply a comprehensive review of the school.

Here I am going to mention The good things about the island and the school. I have already done the bad in the previous posts but check it out:

The school -
Pros:
1. Most of the teachers are helpful if you have questions or do not understand the material. They are tehre most of times to help you out and are pretty good with e-mail. While I was there, Most of the professors I thought were pretty good and presented their material very well (especially for Gross Anatomy with Dr. R, Dr M, and Dr B). You wont learn Anatomy better anywhere else. It is not the profssors who are crooked but its more so of the administration and the big boss sitting upstairs.
2. Classroom sizes are smaller.
3. Accessibility to facilities (computers, library, gameroom) since they are not alot of students around.
4. Places close to school to eat such as Eats Cafe, Perkup, Cajun Grill, Sunshine Grill. These are all within walking distance of the school, so its good for a study break or lunch break. There is also the Gazeebo during school hours.
5. Library staff is always helpful and extremely friendly.

The island -
Pros:
1. It is clean and safe for the most part. Although crime has risen lately on the island, just dont go out at night alone.
2. It is like USA or Canada in the sense that you still have most of everyday restauants (BK, KFC, Papa Johns, Subway, D donuts,Pizza Hut, Quizno's) and other restraurants which are still quite nice (A le Keebab, Treats, Lone Star Burger Grill, Gino's Pizza, etc). They also have an actual shopping mall with a movie cinema, go karting. There are plenty of Grocery stores and necessity places like Hardware stores.
3. Weather is almost always nice except in Sept to Nov when it is tropical season. Otherwise it is warm year around.
4. Several beaches on the Island, Seven Mile is probably the best hands down and so beautiful.
5. Lots of night life, with bars and clubs to go around. However there are no casinos, gambling because it is supposed to be a religious island.

beachfan112
01-29-2012, 03:27 PM
I would temper some of those pros by stating that yes, while the island has many American restaurants, they are all very expensive. The cheapest I have ever seen was $10 CI, which comes out to $12 USD. Most lunches costs between $15-20 USD, and dinners are pricier.

Also, about the professors at the school...yes MOST are great...but there are several insanely problematic ones. PhDs who dont teach clinical application, badly organized powerpoints, and even one professor who would say reallly inapprorpirate things. But the good teachers...man they are great

beachfan112
01-29-2012, 04:47 PM
I agree that this forum is filled with "loosers," bitter students, and people who performed poorly academically and had to leave. However, there are still people on here who aren't part of either of those categories…who have gone through the recent process at SMU and are genuinely alarmed by the changes SMU has made in the past 2 years. I noticed that most people who decide to attend SMU do so because they personally know an alumnus who attended years ago. The SMU of yesteryear had its high points, but SMU today is very, very different now. Case in point?

1)The school is currently claiming that it wants to make exams tougher so that students will be better prepared to pass the USMLE on the first try. In the meantime, the school is content with failing students by the boatload. The school's officials have acknowledged the emotional stress they are putting students through, and simply do not mind students being stuck with Fs on their transcript. The school feels that the students "dont have to tell residency committees why they failed...they can just make up a different excuse, like a personal problem" that semester. It's pretty messed up when your own officials are suggesting you lie during your interviews.

2) Professors making exams insanely hard because (and I quote), "the higher ups in Orlando are telling us to." Why is the school's corporate administration forcing its teachers to make exams extremely difficult? It smacks of shadiness. Perhaps the school has financial incentive in making so many advanced students repeat courses.

3) The issue of declining profits plays a part here as well. SMU used to have at least a hundred students per class back when they had loans...now, the number has fallen to 40 or so, depending on the semester. SMU has prided itself on not raising its tuition for several years, but they raised it this year. They raised it the same semester they had a historically small incoming class (due to GMC temporarily revoking their accreditation). Quite the coincidence.

4) SMU may have very dedicated administrators and staff on the island, but its central problem lies in the fact that its owners view it as a business and try to cheap out on the school. This leads to very tangible effects on students. First semester students are required to live in dorms, but the school will not provide transportation for them because they claim they can’t find anyone reliable to drive the students. The students are left to use buses, which cost $2.50 USD one way. Why would the school force people to live in dorms and then not bother to at least provide transportation? Because they are too cheap to pay for designated transportation.

5) Other examples of cheapness? The clinical lab is locked all day, and students can't come in to practice unless it is their designated practice time. Why shut students out from clinical practice time? Is the school afraid that the students will overuse the few practice dummies they are given?

6) More examples, and this one is just awful: the school sends you a bill for your tuition two months before the start of the next semester. You cannot register unless you pay first in full. If you are a Davenport student, you won’t get your money til a month into the next semester. The school knows this and charges students interest until they pay tuition, which is pretty ridiculous. In Orlando, there's a high turnover of staff because the school can't seem to find reliable people to deal with Accounts Receivable. This results in frustration so widespread that even the professors joke about how difficult it is to deal with Orlando. But more importantly, what kind of supposedly reputed academic institution has trouble hiring staff for Accounts?

7) The failure and attrition rate deserves some special attention. Every carib school has its fair amount of students who aren’t cut out for medicine…as does SMU. But SMU’s new attitude is to fail as many people as possible, including average and above average students. The mood on campus is depressed, extracurricular clubs are no longer active, everyone is overstressed and despairing. If your entire school feels depressed, there’s a problem. But SMU, again, doesn’t care. They know students are infuriated, they know people are all looking into transferring, and yet all the administration does is try to convince students not to go because “it will look bad on their transcripts.” Funny how the school doesn’t mind giving students double F’s but now all of a sudden cares about how their transcripts will look. The administration loves to trash other students, play games, and deliver false promises. You don’t know who to trust, who to talk to, whether you should leave or stay, no one has the answers, and the professors are forced to just sit by and watch the administration play games with student’s futures.

So that’s an honest perspective, from an SMU student. You guys can decide to attend if you want, but just know that SMU is a special kind of messed up school. If you are still set, do yourself a favor and talk to ANY current basic sciences student, or just PM me

dailybasis28
01-29-2012, 05:41 PM
You got it down to a T. I could not have said better myself. That's very good advice to anyone out there who is curious about SMU. TY

I agree that this forum is filled with "loosers," bitter students, and people who performed poorly academically and had to leave. However, there are still people on here who aren't part of either of those categories…who have gone through the recent process at SMU and are genuinely alarmed by the changes SMU has made in the past 2 years. I noticed that most people who decide to attend SMU do so because they personally know an alumnus who attended years ago. The SMU of yesteryear had its high points, but SMU today is very, very different now. Case in point?

1)The school is currently claiming that it wants to make exams tougher so that students will be better prepared to pass the USMLE on the first try. In the meantime, the school is content with failing students by the boatload. The school's officials have acknowledged the emotional stress they are putting students through, and simply do not mind students being stuck with Fs on their transcript. The school feels that the students "dont have to tell residency committees why they failed...they can just make up a different excuse, like a personal problem" that semester. It's pretty messed up when your own officials are suggesting you lie during your interviews.

2) Professors making exams insanely hard because (and I quote), "the higher ups in Orlando are telling us to." Why is the school's corporate administration forcing its teachers to make exams extremely difficult? It smacks of shadiness. Perhaps the school has financial incentive in making so many advanced students repeat courses.

3) The issue of declining profits plays a part here as well. SMU used to have at least a hundred students per class back when they had loans...now, the number has fallen to 40 or so, depending on the semester. SMU has prided itself on not raising its tuition for several years, but they raised it this year. They raised it the same semester they had a historically small incoming class (due to GMC temporarily revoking their accreditation). Quite the coincidence.

4) SMU may have very dedicated administrators and staff on the island, but its central problem lies in the fact that its owners view it as a business and try to cheap out on the school. This leads to very tangible effects on students. First semester students are required to live in dorms, but the school will not provide transportation for them because they claim they can’t find anyone reliable to drive the students. The students are left to use buses, which cost $2.50 USD one way. Why would the school force people to live in dorms and then not bother to at least provide transportation? Because they are too cheap to pay for designated transportation.

5) Other examples of cheapness? The clinical lab is locked all day, and students can't come in to practice unless it is their designated practice time. Why shut students out from clinical practice time? Is the school afraid that the students will overuse the few practice dummies they are given?

6) More examples, and this one is just awful: the school sends you a bill for your tuition two months before the start of the next semester. You cannot register unless you pay first in full. If you are a Davenport student, you won’t get your money til a month into the next semester. The school knows this and charges students interest until they pay tuition, which is pretty ridiculous. In Orlando, there's a high turnover of staff because the school can't seem to find reliable people to deal with Accounts Receivable. This results in frustration so widespread that even the professors joke about how difficult it is to deal with Orlando. But more importantly, what kind of supposedly reputed academic institution has trouble hiring staff for Accounts?

7) The failure and attrition rate deserves some special attention. Every carib school has its fair amount of students who aren’t cut out for medicine…as does SMU. But SMU’s new attitude is to fail as many people as possible, including average and above average students. The mood on campus is depressed, extracurricular clubs are no longer active, everyone is overstressed and despairing. If your entire school feels depressed, there’s a problem. But SMU, again, doesn’t care. They know students are infuriated, they know people are all looking into transferring, and yet all the administration does is try to convince students not to go because “it will look bad on their transcripts.” Funny how the school doesn’t mind giving students double F’s but now all of a sudden cares about how their transcripts will look. The administration loves to trash other students, play games, and deliver false promises. You don’t know who to trust, who to talk to, whether you should leave or stay, no one has the answers, and the professors are forced to just sit by and watch the administration play games with student’s futures.

So that’s an honest perspective, from an SMU student. You guys can decide to attend if you want, but just know that SMU is a special kind of messed up school. If you are still set, do yourself a favor and talk to ANY current basic sciences student, or just PM me

Dr Rich
01-29-2012, 08:57 PM
especially for Gross Anatomy with Dr. R, Dr M, and Dr B). You wont learn Anatomy better anywhere else

I had Dr B and Dr M but with Dr G years ago. They are not really good, it's just that mediocre students love them because they give the test questions and especially for the shelf, something other "professors" do too (the former Neuro Dr. S, Path Dr. B, the Almighty Dentist himself) :rolleyes:

Docinabox
02-01-2012, 10:09 PM
Are you serious about the housing? Is it true SMU makes you stay in their dorms and pay more than $1000. per month your first term? I dont know of any other schools that are that expensive.

beachfan112
02-02-2012, 01:09 PM
Ahhh just deleted my response to this! This is the gist of what I was posting:

Yes, SMU requires first semesters to live in the dorms, and yes, the school still forces you to pay for own transportation. Buses are 2 CI, ~$2.50 USD each way. The amount you pay for your dorm ranges, depending on what size your room is and whether you have a roommate. All prices include utilities but do not include the minimum $100 USD you'll spend on transportation each month. Cheapest option for sharing a room is about $800 USD a month, while having your own room will jump up to $1200 USD a month.

Cayman is probably the most expensive island in the Caribbean. Rent and food (especially eating out) are ridiculous. What sucks more is that the school is too cheap to provide transportation, even though the dorms are so far from school.

dailybasis28
02-04-2012, 07:33 PM
Where are you Shades McCool? Cat got your tongue...?

azulpanther
02-05-2012, 01:12 AM
The school does not provide transportation because it is readily available. Cayman is a 1st world nation. No other Caribbean island can match its infrastructure.

beachfan112
02-05-2012, 08:34 AM
The school does not provide transportation because it is readily available. Cayman is a 1st world nation. No other Caribbean island can match its infrastructure.

When asked why the school did not provide transportation for students, the SMU Dean himself said that the school would like to, but they haven't been able to find someone reliable to drive the students everyday.

Which is ridiculous, since there are bus drivers a plenty all along 7 Mile Beach. Its far conceivable that the school is not willing to pay to have a bus driver on retainer for the students.

And regardless of reason, it is VERY bad form for a school to require students to live in far away dorms and then make them pay their own transportation to school each day.

azulpanther
02-06-2012, 12:32 AM
so all US medical schools should pay for their students' transportation? All medical schools in NYC provide metrocards to their students? This is news to me!

I'm not into extremes, I will not bash SMU nor will I be its cheerleader. The school gave me an opportunity, I capitalized on it and now I'm a doctor. The majority of these extremely negative posts are from students that did not capitalized on the opportunity. Successful students do not go on this website because they have better things to do, like figuring out a work up plan for their patients.

Ever since SMU lost their loans it has been down hill. A for profit school cannot succeed without money.

docblin
02-06-2012, 06:43 AM
Well stated AZUL! Best plan is to seize the opportunity and STUDY!

beachfan112
02-06-2012, 11:48 AM
Azul, when did you last attend basic sciences at SMU?

dailybasis28
02-07-2012, 10:33 PM
so all US medical schools should pay for their students' transportation? All medical schools in NYC provide metrocards to their students? This is news to me!

I'm not into extremes, I will not bash SMU nor will I be its cheerleader. The school gave me an opportunity, I capitalized on it and now I'm a doctor. The majority of these extremely negative posts are from students that did not capitalized on the opportunity. Successful students do not go on this website because they have better things to do, like figuring out a work up plan for their patients.

Ever since SMU lost their loans it has been down hill. A for profit school cannot succeed without money.

I have to disagree with your opening statement. We are talking about being away from home on another island where getting a car is not possible for everyone. Considering that students are going into a land that is unfamiliar ground the least the school do is provide a bus service. If students are paying money to go to another school in another country, at least make they feel at home. At least in the states, you can take your car from one state to another.

Obviously Azul has not been to SMU in years. From all the schools on VMD, this school gets bashed on the most. SMU is obviously not as good as it used to be. People who come on also post reviews or simply give their honest opinion. Believe me a lot of people who have come here also regret it. Obviously there are lots of aspriring students out there who need to know whats up before they come here and know what they are getting themselves into so its for them to read.

diabeticmedic
02-08-2012, 06:46 AM
When I was on the island in 07-08, there were semesters with 200+ students, I think one class was about 250. They had to expand to the next building (med school only used to occupy one building) and have a huge lecture hall on the top floor of the new building. Now without the loans, I am not surprised to hear 40 students per class. For those of you who think that all is well and nothing is on a downward trend, think about that. Think about the buildings being so packed with students you can barely move in the hallways. Is it like that now?

As far as failing a lot of students goes, I think I get it: the less students that make it out of 5th semester, the higher % that will pass Step 1 and SMU can advertise those numbers. They don't have to brag about the AMOUNT of people that pass it, just the %. So if 30 people take it and 27 pass, that's a 90% pass rate. It makes sense. In the past, it was pretty easy to make it out of 5th and sit for step 1. TONS of people I know failed it the first time.

Future MD | DM erutuF
02-09-2012, 12:40 AM
When asked why the school did not provide transportation for students, the SMU Dean himself said that the school would like to, but they haven't been able to find someone reliable to drive the students everyday.

Which is ridiculous, since there are bus drivers a plenty all along 7 Mile Beach. Its far conceivable that the school is not willing to pay to have a bus driver on retainer for the students.

And regardless of reason, it is VERY bad form for a school to require students to live in far away dorms and then make them pay their own transportation to school each day.

You, sir/ma'am, need to grow a bigger pair. I bought a bicycle and rode that s_h_i_t every day for 8 months. Sometimes in the rain during hurricane season. Did I complain? Nope. Did we laugh about it? Hell yeah man. One guy wrecked and came to class with the injuries as proof, still remember it to this day.

Point is this: get through it and survive - it'll make you stronger. You're there for a reason - because you weren't good enough for a US medical school. Deal with the s_h_i_t the school deals you because ultimately, you chose it. No one forced you to.

diabeticmedic
02-09-2012, 06:24 AM
You, sir/ma'am, need to grow a bigger pair. I bought a bicycle and rode that s_h_i_t every day for 8 months. Sometimes in the rain during hurricane season. Did I complain? Nope. Did we laugh about it? Hell yeah man. One guy wrecked and came to class with the injuries as proof, still remember it to this day.

Point is this: get through it and survive - it'll make you stronger. You're there for a reason - because you weren't good enough for a US medical school. Deal with the s_h_i_t the school deals you because ultimately, you chose it. No one forced you to.

I have to agree with this one. I rode a bike too, from Treasure Island. Some days, if I had the time on my hands, I would walk. The island is not that big, and the area you need to travel is even smaller. I also rode the bike to Kirk's (which is even closer) or walked and came back with the cart, then left it at the res hall so someone would pick it up. If the weather was really bad, sucked it up and took a cab. I always thought the people that bought cars were morons.

Anywho, yeah, the school is not obligated to provide transportation. I don't know of one med school that does.

diabeticmedic
02-09-2012, 06:26 AM
duplicate post!

docblin
02-09-2012, 08:38 AM
These two previous posters are giving their honest opinions. As is stated "this is an opportunity because there were no others". If you can matriculate into SGU, ROSS, AUC, AUA, SABA than go. Better yet go DO. But deal with your choice, study hard. The other real issue is the open residency positions for IMGs are decreasing, just be aware of this. I know NOVA is offering a 2 to 3 year MD to DO program, might be a thought (so you could end up with 2 degrees MD/DO). Yes it adds years to med school, but at least DO residency positions are very available.
Again, the class of May 2006 started with 88, four years to the day (May 2010) later graduated less than 40 who started. Of that class of <40 only 25 to 30 obtained a residency position or matched/scrambled/pre-matched. Of that 25 to 30 most passed Step III. So it can be done!

beachfan112
02-12-2012, 07:04 PM
I have to agree with this one. I rode a bike too, from Treasure Island. Some days, if I had the time on my hands, I would walk. The island is not that big, and the area you need to travel is even smaller. I also rode the bike to Kirk's (which is even closer) or walked and came back with the cart, then left it at the res hall so someone would pick it up. If the weather was really bad, sucked it up and took a cab. I always thought the people that bought cars were morons.

Anywho, yeah, the school is not obligated to provide transportation. I don't know of one med school that does.

The distinction here is that you chose to live far from school. There are plenty of medical schools that provide transportation for their students (Windsor, UMHS, etc). I maintain the original point that there is something wrong with a school that requires you to live far from campus, does not provide transportation, nor do they inform students of the added expense of transportation until they arrive on the island. This was meant just to highlight how SMU likes to cheap out on its students. The dorm issue was just one of the many, many reasons why SMU is downsliding.

What is interesting to me is that the only point that people could contend was the dorm/transportation one. I talked about how the school is encouraging its students to lie, how it is creating an atmosphere of hopelessness and despair, how it is making radical changes with no regard for how it effects students, and how all its motives tie into profit seeking at the expense of students' futures.

This is the reality at SMU right now.

You would be a fool to leave your academic future in the hands of SMU.

beachfan112
02-12-2012, 07:20 PM

The distinction here is that you chose to live far from school. There are plenty of medical schools that provide transportation for their students (Windsor, UMHS, etc). I maintain the original point that there is something wrong with a school that requires you to live far from campus, does not provide transportation, nor do they inform students of the added expense of transportation until they arrive on the island. This was meant just to highlight how SMU likes to cheap out on its students. The dorm issue was just one of the many, many reasons why SMU is downsliding.

What is interesting to me is that the only point that people could contend was the dorm/transportation one. I talked about how the school is encouraging its students to lie, how it is creating an atmosphere of hopelessness and despair, how it is making radical changes with no regard for how it effects students, and how all its motives tie into profit seeking at the expense of students' futures.

Future MD | DM erutuF
02-12-2012, 10:09 PM

I agree. I responded to a little snippet of your original post that was was partially quoted by someone else above. And you're right, the only thing we can contend with is the transportation issue you brought up.

This school appeared to be on the up and up when I joined (Fall of 2006). Now it's looking like it's in shambles. No loans, no California, and very little to no name recognition. As a prelim resident applying for categorical spots now, it's MUCH harder coming from SMU than from Ross, AUC, SGU or SABA. Interviewing on the trail, I've been told that name recognition does go a long way. In fact, the number one thing one PDs will base their rank of you on is how favorably your current PD endorses you. It goes to show you that word of mouth is huge. SMU sure doesn't have it.

diabeticmedic
02-13-2012, 06:32 AM

Yes, I too must respond!

And yes, you are right...I almost sounded like an SMU cheerleader for a second. I had such bad experience at SMU that I had to leave for greener pastures (greener, as in school with title 4 loan $$$$$$!). The original point stands true- the school has been on a downward trend since about 2009 and things sound bad. SMU shouldn't be your last option, SMU should not BE an option.

PreMed74
02-13-2012, 09:46 PM
These two previous posters are giving their honest opinions. As is stated "this is an opportunity because there were no others". If you can matriculate into SGU, ROSS, AUC, AUA, SABA than go. Better yet go DO. But deal with your choice, study hard. The other real issue is the open residency positions for IMGs are decreasing, just be aware of this. I know NOVA is offering a 2 to 3 year MD to DO program, might be a thought (so you could end up with 2 degrees MD/DO). Yes it adds years to med school, but at least DO residency positions are very available.
Again, the class of May 2006 started with 88, four years to the day (May 2010) later graduated less than 40 who started. Of that class of <40 only 25 to 30 obtained a residency position or matched/scrambled/pre-matched. Of that 25 to 30 most passed Step III. So it can be done!

Hey docblin, do you have any more info on that MD to DO program? Thanks!

docblin
02-14-2012, 09:12 AM
Call Nova Med school.

CaribbeanGrad
02-18-2012, 03:23 AM
STAY AWAY, for God's Sake stay AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

knightstoremember
03-14-2012, 11:22 PM
Anyone heard of a pending lawsuit Kidwai V. St. Matthew's University?????????????????? What's that about

ghost_rider
03-15-2012, 11:44 PM
Azul, when did you last attend basic sciences at SMU?

I have to disagree with your opening statement. We are talking about being away from home on another island where getting a car is not possible for everyone. Considering that students are going into a land that is unfamiliar ground the least the school do is provide a bus service. If students are paying money to go to another school in another country, at least make they feel at home. At least in the states, you can take your car from one state to another.

Obviously Azul has not been to SMU in years. From all the schools on VMD, this school gets bashed on the most. SMU is obviously not as good as it used to be. People who come on also post reviews or simply give their honest opinion. Believe me a lot of people who have come here also regret it. Obviously there are lots of aspriring students out there who need to know whats up before they come here and know what they are getting themselves into so its for them to read.

So you guys want to be doctors? Want to be responsible for other peoples lives? but you cant figure out your way around a small island? For God sake, grow up, your not living with mommy and daddy anymore... you knew that when you decided to attend a Caribbean school.

msabri
03-16-2012, 01:58 PM
The only good reason not to go to SMU
You can get to DO or big three or Saba.
Other than that thousands of Doctors are living proof that SMU works
Stay focused and positive and you'll reach your goal.

HelloHello3
03-26-2012, 01:41 AM
I should have started a thread about the pros and cons, or simply a comprehensive review of the school.

Here I am going to mention The good things about the island and the school. I have already done the bad in the previous posts but check it out:

The school -
Pros:
1. Most of the teachers are helpful if you have questions or do not understand the material. They are tehre most of times to help you out and are pretty good with e-mail. While I was there, Most of the professors I thought were pretty good and presented their material very well (especially for Gross Anatomy with Dr. R, Dr M, and Dr B). You wont learn Anatomy better anywhere else. It is not the profssors who are crooked but its more so of the administration and the big boss sitting upstairs.
2. Classroom sizes are smaller.
3. Accessibility to facilities (computers, library, gameroom) since they are not alot of students around.
4. Places close to school to eat such as Eats Cafe, Perkup, Cajun Grill, Sunshine Grill. These are all within walking distance of the school, so its good for a study break or lunch break. There is also the Gazeebo during school hours.
5. Library staff is always helpful and extremely friendly.

The island -
Pros:
1. It is clean and safe for the most part. Although crime has risen lately on the island, just dont go out at night alone.
2. It is like USA or Canada in the sense that you still have most of everyday restauants (BK, KFC, Papa Johns, Subway, D donuts,Pizza Hut, Quizno's) and other restraurants which are still quite nice (A le Keebab, Treats, Lone Star Burger Grill, Gino's Pizza, etc). They also have an actual shopping mall with a movie cinema, go karting. There are plenty of Grocery stores and necessity places like Hardware stores.
3. Weather is almost always nice except in Sept to Nov when it is tropical season. Otherwise it is warm year around.
4. Several beaches on the Island, Seven Mile is probably the best hands down and so beautiful.
5. Lots of night life, with bars and clubs to go around. However there are no casinos, gambling because it is supposed to be a religious island.

I think I speak for a lot of people when I say I didn't come to SMU for the nightlife as well as the rest of your reasons. However, I'll agree with you on Pros #1 and #2 about the school. The Anatomy department is extremely awesome, helpful, and amazing. They'll be there for you whenever you need it. They helped me out a lot so I can only say good things about them. Same with the Physiology department (however SHELF scores aren't exactly what you would call "up to par"). I also enjoyed the Microbiology department but beyond that as well as the rest of the departments, are a mess, to say the least.

kishkash186
03-26-2012, 08:23 AM
St Matthews is enough to get you a 99 on Step 1. Anatomy, neurology, physiology, biochem, pharm and path is all adequate with some classes actually being quite enjoyable. All gaps in knowledge can be filled with reading and studying (I for one started watching Kaplan video since second semester as an adjunct to the classes). Shelf scores don't matter as long as you pass and once you get your Step score who cares.

Loans and 50 states have always been the main reason not to come but apart from that if you are capable and don't mess around too much and prepare well for the Steps you should get above 90s in both exams.

Unless people are talking about the loans or 50 states they seem to just be disgruntled students who seem to be spending more time here than studying.

cardiomegaly
03-26-2012, 09:56 AM
There are always reasons not to go to ANY of these caribbean schools. They all have problems and they all have great aspects. SMU is not the best Caribbean school but it sure aint the worst.

HelloHello3
03-26-2012, 10:01 AM
Education is 90% self education wherever you go... and you bring up a truth - the classes are adequate enough. I too started watching kaplan videos by second semester in addition to the courses and found myself learning and comprehending at twice the rate. SHELF scores don't matter but they are a good indicator of how you are doing compared to the rest of the national average and if you find yourself lacking, it's time to step your game up.

Yes Kish, there are a lot of disgruntled students here (who rarely study as evident by their skype adventures during class) but there is a lot of power-hungry faculty as well (that do everything BUT help you including forcing you to come to class and listen to something that you simply aren't getting any info out of) - two extremes of the spectrum.

f2med
03-26-2012, 10:32 AM
All Medical Schools have their faults, even in the USA. I know US medical graduiates who cannot get matches nor even work as MD after Med School. Like Ross and all the top offshore school many of the smaller schools also have excellent results. Ross was once like SMU and other less established Medical School.

kishkash186
03-26-2012, 10:36 AM
I agree that some of the classes could have been ignored and I would have been happier studying at home but I have always been a strong advocate of the attendance policy. Although for some the draconian measure might mean that they would be spending time in a place they would otherwise not want to be. I have to add though that attendance and installing a certain amount of structure.

A lot of medicine and to be honest your future working life is about picking your battles and doing things you might not want to do is a part of life. If you don't like how this are run you can leave or stay and concentrate your efforts to study.

Some words of wisdom from Marcus Aurelius

Say to yourself in the early morning: I shall meet today ungrateful, violent, treacherous, envious, uncharitable men. All of these things have come upon them through ignorance of real good and ill... I can neither be harmed by any of them, for no man will involve me in wrong, nor can I be angry with my kinsman or hate him; for we have come into the world to work together...

Dr Rich
04-07-2012, 12:00 AM
Some words of wisdom from Marcus Aurelius

Say to yourself in the early morning: I shall meet today ungrateful, violent, treacherous, envious, uncharitable men. All of these things have come upon them through ignorance of real good and ill... I can neither be harmed by any of them, for no man will involve me in wrong, nor can I be angry with my kinsman or hate him; for we have come into the world to work together...

First I thought this Kishkash was the Almighty Dentist himself, but it seems to be the wife. You know, that one everybody called "Dr. U" up to the moment that miraculously she became just a student always getting the highest grades in all classes :rolleyes:

kishkash186
04-08-2012, 11:48 AM
Wrong on both counts.

How's umhs Dr Rich/Matt? Not sure if you are bored or have more time on your hands but you always seem to come on these boards even though you transferred out two years ago.

Dr Rich
04-08-2012, 10:11 PM
How's umhs Dr Rich/Matt? Not sure if you are bored or have more time on your hands but you always seem to come on these boards even though you transferred out two years ago.

It seems I hit a nerve there! Your style betrays you and, how should we say, it's easy to recognize it by it's smell. Like curry, you can smell it from across the street :rolleyes:

kishkash186
04-09-2012, 09:26 PM
Racism?? And a little paranoia to boot. It's funny how wrong you are but carry on pretending I'm the dean, it kinda defeats your purpose anyway.

Can't remember your last name but will look it up. Hows clinical treating you?

AmiraMD
04-11-2012, 07:04 PM
I am in the process of transferring out from SMU. I never thought that I could write this on this forum...but I guess never say never. Although life on the Island was expensive and hard during the first semester...I survived and I was glad I was out of the island.

Dr. B the path monster...had its own favorites no questioning about it...if he liked you he liked and you didn't need to be an A or F student because he would support you to the fullest. While I was in the Island, one student failed path 2 during 4th semester, and finished 5th semester...and because he was B's clown...he never attended path 2 on the second retake, and he passed him!!!! I heard it from the student himself!! Meanwhile, there were other students in his shoes but had to sit for the class and pass it!

I have heard horror stories that happened to couple students and I thanked god I never had to go through what they went through. I always said to myself that I just needed to get done and leave...but while preparing for step 1, I got ill...(health wise), I spoke to the Mr. R and requested a LOA but he denied it on 2 occasions regardless of doctor's notes and recommendations. Why? Go figure! He simply said you are going through so much and you are not capable to become a doctor at the moment. And st Matthews wishes you the best. Focus on yourself! I am still mind boggled up to this day as why would it have been so much hard to accept the fact that future doctors are human beings and they themselves can get sick...but I guess st Matthews doesn't want to waste time..either do what they ask you to do or be out of the door.

One advice for prospective students, think hard before you apply to SMU...I am not saying you won't make it through if you study hard..you will but if you go through any personal struggles of health issues you won't be welcomed on their board. Their LOA is a joke. I heard of a student who was granted LOA to help her sister prepare for her wedding, yet in my case my my medical issue is not good of an excuse!

soniaa
04-11-2012, 07:16 PM
I am in the process of transferring out from SMU. I never thought that I could write this on this forum...but I guess never say never. Although life on the Island was expensive and hard during the first semester...I survived and I was glad I was out of the island.

Dr. B the path monster...had its own favorites no questioning about it...if he liked you he liked and you didn't need to be an A or F student because he would support you to the fullest. While I was in the Island, one student failed path 2 during 4th semester, and finished 5th semester...and because he was B's clown...he never attended path 2 on the second retake, and he passed him!!!! I heard it from the student himself!! Meanwhile, there were other students in his shoes but had to sit for the class and pass it!

I have heard horror stories that happened to couple students and I thanked god I never had to go through what they went through. I always said to myself that I just needed to get done and leave...but while preparing for step 1, I got ill...(health wise), I spoke to the Mr. R and requested a LOA but he denied it on 2 occasions regardless of doctor's notes and recommendations. Why? Go figure! He simply said you are going through so much and you are not capable to become a doctor at the moment. And st Matthews wishes you the best. Focus on yourself! I am still mind boggled up to this day as why would it have been so much hard to accept the fact that future doctors are human beings and they themselves can get sick...but I guess st Matthews doesn't want to waste time..either do what they ask you to do or be out of the door.

One advice for prospective students, think hard before you apply to SMU...I am not saying you won't make it through if you study hard..you will but if you go through any personal struggles of health issues you won't be welcomed on their board. Their LOA is a joke. I heard of a student who was granted LOA to help her sister prepare for her wedding, yet in my case my my medical issue is not good of an excuse!

Wow please tell us more of what is really happening, I know 2 people from your school msgd me earlier and they are transferring to Windsor , I never thought the situation be this bad.

Dr Rich
04-11-2012, 08:51 PM
Dr. B... the Path regurgitator is a more appropriate name :rolleyes:

knightstoremember
04-15-2012, 04:32 AM
Look, on thing says it all. Go thru the threads......no school has more negative students, ex-students, whatever.....that says something, something isn't right. I've heard everything i needed to about this school, i wouldn't send my dog there...well, i really do love my dog. I wouldn't even send your dog there. i just got off the phone from a friend in 3rd semester who ran out of money at SMU, and they are kicking him out of school! I know this kid, for 2 years, he is not lying. Then this whole lawsuit kidwai v. st. matthews, what the %# is going on SMU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kishkash186
04-15-2012, 05:26 AM
Because an Internet forum is the best way to get objective information especially when it's full of ex students with personality disorders with nothing better to do than hate on SMU.

shades mccool
04-15-2012, 02:32 PM
If a person fails out, they have nobody to blame except themselves! They either should have studied harder or they just were not smart enough to begin with! Just because you get accepted does not mean you are entitled to pass. A acceptance is only a chance to prove yourself, nothing more.

workingformymd
04-15-2012, 04:28 PM
As a former SMU student, who had to stop going to medical school due to no loans (hoping to start back with Ross later this year), I will give you some honest---ADULT feedback on SMU. I had an advanced degree and attended 4 different colleges (undergrad and grad) before going to SMU, so I have some perspective on schools. SMU was 70-30 for me. Most of the classes and teachers were very good, some were not. Our embryo was a joke, the pt-dr classes didn't teach any real skills, and some of the classes with multiple teachers just made things confusing. I will say that the dean, who also taught pharm was tough, but overall fair. He didn't play favorites as much as Dr. N, the previous dean. Dr. S, who teaches neuro, was so self absorbed that you could show him in all the leading textbooks that his test question was wrong, but he would not give credit for it.

However, I went to class, studied (with family on island the whole time), and was fairly active with student activities. I didn't go to one day of their Kaplan review (had people sign me in), but I did watch the latest Kaplan review on CD, as well as Goljan and PASS. I scored over 220 (don't want to put exact score for ID purposes) on my first attempt on step 1. So, I must have been fairly prepared. I did have 3 of my closest friends fail, and one that passed with a 217 on first try (had comparable grades to mine and we studied together).

It is like anything else in life, it is what you make out of it. If you are 22, and don't have many life experiences, you may cry and whine, but it isn't bad. However, I would probably have gone to Ross or SGU if I had to do it all over again..just more stability and more proven.

SC88
04-17-2012, 08:22 PM
Hi everyone

Im from the UK and am looking to study medicine at one of the Caribbean med schools. I was actually looking forward to applying to SMU, but after reading this thread im glad i didnt. Not knowing much about the caribbean med schools, I can only go by what the university website says, and SMU looked pretty appealing! Esp with all their student testimonial videos LOL. SMU is recommended alot here in the UK and alot of us who didnt get to study med here in the UK often think of SMU. So I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for being honest.
Is AUA any good? Ive heard that SGU is good, but its a bit out of my budget. Any other decent med schools in the Caribbean that you could recommend?

Thanks guys! :D

AmiraMD
04-17-2012, 10:24 PM
KishKash,

I beg to differ on opinion...so show some respect! I personally never failed any of my classes, and I smoothly transitioned to shelf exams without worrying much about passing or failing it to pass or fail the class! There were great and bad professors. Like for instances biochem was a complete joke. That course was mainly self taught and better learned during Kaplan. I say and I will repeat it once again, the administration sucks!!!!! They don't care if you stumble or get caught up in personal issues...I still can't get it when I am denied LOA due to health issues while another student was granted one to celebrate the wedding of her sister?
I am disappointed very much in the way things are being handled by the Orlando administration... someone who doesn't even an MD degree and yet works as a dean of clinical program wouldn't know much about med school! How could someone tell you, medical school is not for you now because of the issues you have in your life? Isn't this discrimination? Are doctors suppose to be some sort of Gods that don't get sick at all???

Now kishkash before you start bashing people that share their bitterness about SMU you here, I encourage you to hush ... if you wanna keep being a cheerleader of SMU, then all power to you..no one is stopping..but have respect for what others have to say!

cardiomegaly
04-17-2012, 11:49 PM
Hi everyone

Im from the UK and am looking to study medicine at one of the Caribbean med schools. I was actually looking forward to applying to SMU, but after reading this thread im glad i didnt. Not knowing much about the caribbean med schools, I can only go by what the university website says, and SMU looked pretty appealing! Esp with all their student testimonial videos LOL. SMU is recommended alot here in the UK and alot of us who didnt get to study med here in the UK often think of SMU. So I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for being honest.
Is AUA any good? Ive heard that SGU is good, but its a bit out of my budget. Any other decent med schools in the Caribbean that you could recommend?

Thanks guys! :D

The schools with the best reputation in the caribbean are SGU, Ross, AUC and SABA. Look into those schools. They are great. SGU is expensive but I think that Ross is cheaper. Oh and AUC is on a lovely island. These schools have great USMLE pass rates and match rates.

soniaa
04-17-2012, 11:59 PM
My attending and the Assistant professor of Department of Medicine is from SGU and AUC

BrightFuture
04-28-2012, 07:47 AM
This school is half empty compared to the previous semester. Half the school failed out or either they just got up and left. Each semester with the exception of first semester of the incoming fall semester has 30 students in each class.

that is not a lot of students. from what i read, ross has over 400,500 students in first semester?

cardiomegaly
04-28-2012, 06:29 PM
that is not a lot of students. from what i read, ross has over 400,500 students in first semester?

LMBO!!!! Im sorry that is just too funny.

BrightFuture
04-28-2012, 08:05 PM
As a former SMU student, who had to stop going to medical school due to no loans (hoping to start back with Ross later this year),

so you finished with step 1, and you want to start with ross? i don't think that ross is the choice, they already have enough students. and if you transfer, they probably will ask you to repeat 5th semester again.

thxleave
04-28-2012, 09:11 PM
so you finished with step 1, and you want to start with ross? i don't think that ross is the choice, they already have enough students. and if you transfer, they probably will ask you to repeat 5th semester again.

Sounds like he US citizen. His reasoning for Ross is for loans.

cardiomegaly
04-29-2012, 02:33 PM
[QUOTE=BrightFuture;1445856]so you finished with step 1, and you want to start with ross? i don't think that ross is the choice, they already have enough students. and if you transfer, they probably will ask you to repeat 5th semester again.[/QUOTE

That is a guarantee. You will have to repeat 5th semester. Not many schools accept students directly in to the clinical program.

thxleave
04-29-2012, 03:31 PM
But he'll get the loans secured to finish medical school. Anyways he's upgrading from SMU to Ross. PD going to judge if he transfer school downwards or laterally.

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.