PDA

View Full Version : Mellaril (thioridizine) questions

rc3550
12-06-2011, 05:16 PM
I know it is use to help schizophrenics. BUT, if a person were not schizophrenic, instead given the drug by mistake, and were taking 400mg/day, what would the effect be on that person?

RC

kstarhero
09-26-2012, 08:51 PM
Dosages of Thioridazine must be adjusted according to the individual. 400 mg daily is usual given to patients with severe disturbances, hospitalised patients. Effects include:

CNS: drowsiness, sedation, hyperactivity, psychotic reactions, extrapyramidal reactions and dystonic reactions.
CV: orthostatic hypothension, tachycardia and ECG changes
ANS: dry mouth, fainting, miosis, blurred vision
GI: nausea, vomiting, constipation, diarrhea

Due to concerns about cardiotoxicity and retinopathy at high doses this drug is not commonly prescribed, reserved for patients who have failed to respond to the normal antipsychotics prescribed. Furthermore, the patient may have a fatal neuroleptic malignant syndrome. This is due to its dopamine-blocking and anti-cholinergic activity.

rc3550
09-27-2012, 10:53 AM
I know it is use to help schizophrenics. BUT, if a person were not schizophrenic, instead given the drug by mistake, and were taking 400mg/day, what would the effect be on that person?

RC

Thanks for that info. Is there any literature on this? I've looked a bit but not found anything useful.

RON

kstarhero
09-27-2012, 09:52 PM
Thanks for that info. Is there any literature on this? I've looked a bit but not found anything useful.

RON

CV toxicities: Heath A, Svensson C, Martensson E (Apr 1985). "Thioridazine toxicity--an experimental cardiovascular study of thioridazine and its major metabolites in overdose". Veterinary and Human Toxicology 27 (2): 100–5.

Effects of the drug in healthy patients:
Clin Pharmacol Ther. 1996 Nov;60(5):543-53. Concentration-related pharmacodynamic effects of thioridazine and its metabolites in humans. Hartigan-Go K, Bateman DN, Nyberg G, Mårtensson E, ****** SH.

rc3550
09-27-2012, 10:47 PM
cv toxicities: Heath a, svensson c, martensson e (apr 1985). "thioridazine toxicity--an experimental cardiovascular study of thioridazine and its major metabolites in overdose". Veterinary and human toxicology 27 (2): 100–5.

Effects of the drug in healthy patients:
Clin pharmacol ther. 1996 nov;60(5):543-53. Concentration-related pharmacodynamic effects of thioridazine and its metabolites in humans. Hartigan-go k, bateman dn, nyberg g, mårtensson e, ****** sh.

thanks hugely. This is very helpful.

Ron

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.