PDA

View Full Version : Gdansk vs Jagiellonian

11-27-2011, 03:25 PM
What are the pros and cons of each school? thanks! :)
p.s. i got confused- cuz i heard that jag. was better, but when i looked at the reviews, gdansk's reviews seemed much better
Thanks again! :p

devildoc8404
11-27-2011, 04:46 PM
Jag, for crying out loud.

11-27-2011, 04:54 PM
Thanks...? Jk jk just wanted to make sure :)

bidiboom
11-27-2011, 05:06 PM
Jag, for crying out loud.

Ditto :D hehe..

reichmann
02-25-2012, 11:31 AM
Gdansk! Best and Poland's newest Centre of Invasice Medicine, newest buildings, best equipment.

reichmann
02-25-2012, 11:49 AM
Centre 1 with a few new choppers, and top of the line equipment Gda (http://gumed.edu.pl/15446.html)

devildoc8404
02-25-2012, 02:12 PM
That's all well and good, but if the OP is planning to practice in the US (which we don't know, but IF that is the case), then the fact that Jag's English program has 50 state approval -- and Gdansk's does not -- would have to be the overarching and most significant consideration. If the OP wants to practice in Europe, or elsewhere, then Gdansk could well be a better choice. There is no one single answer in this case, it depends on the student's professional aims.

Regardless, Gdansk's university wins hands-down in the name department! DANZIG!!! ;)

reichmann
02-26-2012, 07:22 AM
Gdansk is pending approval for its English division in the State of California, which should be complete within 2 years time. Its polish division has accreditation in California already. So, 49 states now, 50 in two years. Current candidates, if completing within 6 years, will be accredited 50 states.

Tom_Lehrermed
02-26-2012, 04:43 PM
Hi Folks,

Of course I have a horse in this race, but here is the authoritative answer on the accreditation status. The Polish Division is accredited by the State of California. At the moment, The English Division is not. Now, it's important to note that we are not on the listed of rejected schools, which California has official deemed as lacking educational merit. We are in the process of seeking acceptance from the California medical board, but it is a very lengthy process. As of right now, I can assure you that it is a major priority and we are working on the process.

I hope that adds some clarity. As for the name coolness factor, our school and The Misfits have two things in common. 1) We're awesome. 2) Danzig is a part of our heritage.

Cheers!

devildoc8404
02-26-2012, 05:40 PM
Gdansk is pending approval for its English division in the State of California, which should be complete within 2 years time. Its polish division has accreditation in California already. So, 49 states now, 50 in two years. Current candidates, if completing within 6 years, will be accredited 50 states.

No, not 49 states now... Roughly 40+ states now, and 50 if/when the CMB gives a thumbs up. NM, VT, AR, etc. all follow that list, too.

With that said, I am confident that the review will go well, and you are lucky that Poland is already approved for med-ed equivalency. That is a painful hurdle as well, and it took two tries for Poland to pass it back in the day.

I have heard good things about Gdansk, and I hope it all works out well for youse guys...

Tom_Lehrermed
02-26-2012, 05:48 PM
Hey devildoc!

I'll check out the situation with New Mexico, et. all as far as the recognition goes. The way that the situation was explained to me, they only reject graduates from schools that California list as Not Recognised...The short list of "fly-by-night" operations and "diploma mills".

Thanks for the support and thoughts! Hopefully, this will be a dead thread soon when we get the California recognition :)

devildoc8404
02-27-2012, 02:00 AM
No worries, man. Full list of CMB adherents escapes me at the moment, but definitely check on New Mexico, Vermont, Arkansas, Indiana, Tennessee (I think you can do residency there, but no practice thereafter, or something stupid like that), one of the Dakotas, and a few others.

The level of use varies, though. Some will not allow residency or practice, period, very strict like California itself, and others may allow medical licensure after X amount of years practicing in another state.

reichmann
02-27-2012, 10:01 AM
Ahh, thanks, I had no idea. I will contact the University authorities, and see how far in the process we are. Either way, current applicants should have 50 state accreditation, if all goes well.

Cheers

bidiboom
02-27-2012, 10:27 AM
...Gdansk is pending approval for its English division in the State of California, which should be complete within 2 years time...

Does it take that long really? For all schools is it that long?

reichmann
02-28-2012, 06:24 AM
That's what I've heard about the Poznan University, it took roughly 2 years for them. I've emailed the authorities at Gdansk, there is soon to be a meeting discussing the progress of the accreditation. As soon as I know, I'll update

cheers

devildoc8404
02-28-2012, 07:20 AM
Ahh, thanks, I had no idea. I will contact the University authorities, and see how far in the process we are. Either way, current applicants should have 50 state accreditation, if all goes well.

Cheers

That is not guaranteed, based on past approvals, but it is certainly possible. Some schools' students from earlier years are grandfathered in, other schools' former/current students are not. I would imagine that Gdansk has a good shot at current students getting this consideration. Good luck to you guys! I wish my own school would get its crap together in this regard.

devildoc8404
02-28-2012, 07:22 AM
Does it take that long really? For all schools is it that long?

Sometimes even longer. When California has budget issues they cut staff hours at the CMB and it slows things down a lot. It is NOT a speedy process.

mednovice
01-18-2016, 12:21 PM
Hi Folks,

Of course I have a horse in this race, but here is the authoritative answer on the accreditation status. The Polish Division is accredited by the State of California. At the moment, The English Division is not. Now, it's important to note that we are not on the listed of rejected schools, which California has official deemed as lacking educational merit. We are in the process of seeking acceptance from the California medical board, but it is a very lengthy process. As of right now, I can assure you that it is a major priority and we are working on the process.

I hope that adds some clarity. As for the name coolness factor, our school and The Misfits have two things in common. 1) We're awesome. 2) Danzig is a part of our heritage.

Cheers!

Hi, Tom,

I just joined the forum and noticed your post about MUG getting accredited by MBC. According to the current list published on MBC's website, however, MUG's English division is still not accredited although 5 other schools' programs already are. Could you give an update on the progress that has been made over the last couple years in this space?

With the new ECFMG accreditation process coming into effect in 2023, which will be of concern to new students starting their 6-year MD program, would you have any information what Poland is doing at a country level to ensure graduates from their medical schools will remain eligible for USMLE?

Thanks!

devildoc8404
01-19-2016, 07:18 AM
Hi, Tom,

I just joined the forum and noticed your post about MUG getting accredited by MBC. According to the current list published on MBC's website, however, MUG's English division is still not accredited although 5 other schools' programs already are. Could you give an update on the progress that has been made over the last couple years in this space?

With the new ECFMG accreditation process coming into effect in 2023, which will be of concern to new students starting their 6-year MD program, would you have any information what Poland is doing at a country level to ensure graduates from their medical schools will remain eligible for USMLE?

Thanks!

Frankly, when the original post was made I thought that 2 years was a pretty optimistic estimation considering the snail's pace at which CMB traditionally operates. I would have guessed more along the lines of 5 years -- not because Gdansk is bad (by all accounts it is a decent school by EEU standards), but because it is a slow freaking bureaucracy at CMB.

Nobody on VMD is likely to be able to answer a question about specifics of the CMB approval process, simply because none of us work there and it is generally a very convoluted process... with that in mind, conjecture is essentially a fool's errand (see the many, many, MANY times something similar has happened -- over YEARS -- with schools in the Carib, for crying out loud).

Regardless, ECFMG changes and other issues (match numbers, etc.) will certainly affect current and future students who are considering medical school in Europe and wish to return to train and practice in the US. There could be a lot of open questions remaining without answers when people need to make hard and fast decisions, and that will not be an easy process. Good luck.

(IS there any word from the Gdansk crew, though?)

mednovice
01-20-2016, 07:39 AM
Thanks, devildoc!

I was also hoping Tom_Lehrermed will respond also as he continues to be an agent representing MUG and it appears from his previous post that he was working with MUG on (or was at least involved somehow in) the accreditation effort.

devildoc8404
01-20-2016, 08:47 AM
Thanks, devildoc!

I was also hoping Tom_Lehrermed will respond also as he continues to be an agent representing MUG and it appears from his previous post that he was working with MUG on (or was at least involved somehow in) the accreditation effort.

Yeah, I hope he comments, too. Good luck!

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.