PDA

View Full Version : Logan University?

RRT2HOLISTICDOC
11-03-2011, 08:04 PM
What do you guys think about Logan?? It appears to have a very solid science program and campus, but not sure on the clinical portion...

NUHS-AUC
11-08-2011, 08:24 AM
So, Logan is also a university now :) I guess that is the trend at this time....

Yes, good Chiropractic program, however, the top 7 science based programs are:
NUHS, CMCC, NYCC, Western states, SCUHS, Bridgeport U, and D'Youville College.

Also, keep in mind, that:
NUHS, Bridgeport U, and D'Youville College are the only 3 to offer vaious first professional / mulitprofessional programs:
DC, DPT, MScPA, ND, MScAc, MSOM, and that's on its own is a big advantage, some DCs end up obtaining a degree in DPT, or getting a PA designation.

AgActual
11-09-2011, 03:42 PM
So, Logan is also a university now

Kind of? Their current name is "Logan College of Chiropractic University". Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, does it?

As for the issue at hand, what do I think of Logan? Its decent. The education seems to be fine. It appears be a fairly evidence based school, they just don't seem to be quite as progressive as many of us would like. I think they line up pretty well with the ACA's philosophy, which is chiropractic treats MSK disorders but medication will forever be off limits. Not really a big deal but perhaps a little behind the times. Not ideal but good enough, certainly.

The biggest concern I would have is that Logan is probably not that well known in the mainstream health care world. Even though Logan is a decent school, I would bet it doesn't come to mind if you ask an MD, DO, DPM, or whoever, which chiropractic school is the best school or among the best schools. They aren't really leaders in either faction of chiropractic (reformers vs. straights), so i bet most people outside of this field have never even heard of Logan. It is a very low key and quiet school.

One thing that I have personally found off putting about Logan is how aggressive their recruiting is. Last year I sent away for information from every chiropractic school in the U.S., just out of curiosity (I was already a student at NUHS at the time) and most of the schools sent 1 information packet and i haven't received anything since. However, when it came to Logan, I was getting as many as 2 or 3 information packets and little post card things, a day. If i didn't keep throwing it out, i would probably have a stack of recruitment materials from them, about as thick as a phone book. And it was all different stuff too. I wasn't getting the same thing over and over. I still get 1 or 2 information packets a week from them, 11 months later. You have to wonder about that.

And I disagree about their campus. It looks very bland to me. Almost like a small town high school.

Then again, Palmer and Life are supposed to have amazing campuses and I wouldn't touch either school with a 500 foot pole. So maybe it isn't that important.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.