PDA

View Full Version : Transfer from Comenius university in Bratiskava to Masaryk in chzech

dan1992
10-04-2011, 06:41 PM
Hi,

i would like to know if it is possible for medicine student to transfer to masaryk university in chzech's 3rd year from comenius university.

if not, do you know of any other universities who may accept a transfer 3rd year student?.

hoping to get an answer soon.

bidiboom
10-05-2011, 12:46 AM
"...do you know of any other universities who may accept a transfer 3rd year student?."

There are some universities with transfer option.. here is a summary list of some of the schools:
http://medical-schools.blogspot.com/

dan1992
10-05-2011, 02:45 PM
thanks for the help but i didnt find anything!!

do you actually know of unis which accept 3rd year transfer?

bidiboom
10-05-2011, 03:56 PM
thanks for the help but i didnt find anything!!

do you actually know of unis which accept 3rd year transfer?

dan1992 hi,

Actually depending on its website, in Charles 2nd Faculty/Czech Rep. there should be a transfer option, except 1st and 6th years.. also in Warsaw/Poland, Pecs/Hungary, Szeged/Hungary, Semmelweis/Hungary there are transfer options, but is it available for 3rd year students, I dont know.. whatever I say here comes from the websites of the schools.. for further detail you may want to get in contact with those schools directly.. also the info here is limited with my personal research, and I dont know how the things are for other schools..

dan1992
10-05-2011, 04:43 PM
Thanks bidiboom,

thing is i really wanna transfer from comenius so i am looking for a better uni that accept 3rd year..

ya, i know about the websites and such but you know there is always something they are not telling there :S..

lefteris
12-27-2011, 09:35 AM
Thanks bidiboom,

thing is i really wanna transfer from comenius so i am looking for a better uni that accept 3rd year..

ya, i know about the websites and such but you know there is always something they are not telling there :S..

I dont know if Masaryk is a better uni in Medicine program than Comenius or Safarik in Kozice ! Is there anywhere a ranking for Medicine Universities of European countries ?

devildoc8404
12-27-2011, 09:58 AM
If you are looking at other medical schools in the East Bloc, it is questionable whether you can expect too much of an improvement over Comenius... OK, maybe Jagiellonian, but they don't accept external (non-Polish) transfers, and even those are rare.

I dare say that the things that are probably bothering you about medical school in Slovakia are likely to be even worse in many other E-EU locations (Bulgaria, Romania, Poland, Czech, etc.). Make sure you know the new school, VISIT IT FIRST, and don't jump from the frying pan into the fire, as the saying goes!

lefteris
12-27-2011, 10:08 AM
Is there a rank of European Medicine Schools who have programs in English language to review and decide what school to choose between czech or slovakia etc ?

shrey
12-27-2011, 10:18 AM
There is no ranking as such but Masaryk University has received a very wide recognition over the past two years and they're slowly beginning to fall in the lime light. The university is doing really well in terms of research and developing international contacts. They also have the best infrastructure in CR.

I can safely tell you that it is doing much much better than Comenius or even Pavel Safarik.

The problem with all the Czech schools now is that they've set some very stringent rules for transfers. Transfer between the CR schools is possible but this might not be the case between countries. Charles 1st Fac. accepts only 2 transfers from other European countries and that too only at the beginning of the 2nd year. They do accept more transfer students (~5) from other faculties.

So, I think you should consider another country for transfer.

devildoc8404
12-27-2011, 10:26 AM
Practically-speaking, no. At least, not that I have ever seen. International medical school comparisons are very tough to manage, especially in E-EU. Also, it is rare to find someone who attends more than one institution, so how can there be a practical comparison between programs?

The only online comparisons that I have seen involve research funding, publications, international reputation, and crap like that. Sure, it's important, but it has precious little influence on the quality of education in an English language curriculum.

I would suggest that an overall review in VMD (not exactly concise, to be sure) might be as close as you are going to come. Bear in mind, however, that there are always outliers on both ends of the spectrum. You will find full-of-crap recruiters and agents who are claiming that some E-Eu medical school is the next best thing to Oxford and Harvard, and other disgruntled sorts who will insist that Satan himself teaches there. The truth is generally in the middle, innit?

Of course, the ABSOLUTE BEST way to determine the quality of a medical school in E-Eu, bar none, is to visit it personally. I would NEVER recommend attending an E-Eu medical school without a visit in advance, which includes discussions with faculty, administrators, students (who do not work for the school), and a tour of the school, lecture halls, and clinics. It is not cheap, no, but it is a hell of a lot cheaper than winding up at a medical school that you hate, and transferring out after paying them for a semester.

axle
12-28-2011, 03:45 AM
i am also planning to transfer from St.Petersburg to an E-EU university this year.i actually studied medicine there in bw 2003-06,then in australia till then studied business and diploma of biosciences.and to get rid of my regret,i wanna continue my medical education. :)
had information from shrey,bidiboom,devildoc8404 in another forums about that,and decided to make an application list.so the 1st option was Jagiellonian,then Charles(3rd fac. as shrey advised me),3rd Semmelweis,4th Poznan..i'm even planning to book my ticket to Krakow at the beginning of Jan to apply personally,from there i can jump to Praha.

but the posts i've read here kinda discouraged me,it seems like transfer to one of these unis is almost impossible.if its so,better not to lose time around them,and visit some other city where transfer is more likely to happen..

what do you reckon ? shall i still try for these unis? or simply go for another without losing time with the hard ones ? :)

thank you.

bidiboom
12-28-2011, 05:58 AM
Another question: May it be possible to convert whatever you have to a bachelors degree (or even if not an official bachelors degree, equivalent of it by the respect of studies), and jump to a 4-year med program? If you have that base, you can start in a 4-year program.

By the way, Russian/Syrian systems dont have ECTS equivants. Still can all those years be converted to ECTS system to get them recognized by EU/Turkish schools?

There is one another guy from Syria and he was asking just the same questions.. so I got Russia/Syria together in my questions..

By the way, Poznan is said to be loose in admission requirements, but its only a word-of-mouth. To my knowledge, with 1008 intl. students they have the most crowded international population in the region! Though not a good thing to me and problematic :confused:

shrey
12-28-2011, 09:31 AM
I couldn't be happier for you! It's a great choice if that's what you want =) I just wanted to ask you, when you say transfer? Do you actually want to transfer your credits to an E-EU school and continue studying here? or do you plan to start over? If the former, you will not be able to transfer to the 3rd Faculty as they follow a PBL-approach (spread out over several modules) which makes it impossible for students to transfer. If the latter, that should pose no problems (as long as you pass your entrance exam.)

Good luck!

but the posts i've read here kinda discouraged me,it seems like transfer to one of these unis is almost impossible.if its so,better not to lose time around them,and visit some other city where transfer is more likely to happen..

what do you reckon ? shall i still try for these unis? or simply go for another without losing time with the hard ones ? :)

thank you.[/QUOTE]

bidiboom
12-28-2011, 10:09 AM
Ah-ha! I found it! There was a cross-evaluation organizations which, as far as I can remember, were suggested by US schools to make a transcript conversion. There was one another organization suggested, but this is enough to give an idea as well:
World Education Services : Transcripts and Evaluations (http://www.wes.org/fees/evaltypes.asp)

But this organization makes a cross-evaluation between non-US to US system.. there is a need for a more direct cross evaluation between non-ECTS to ECTS. But this still may work, since the E-EU schools are accepting US bachelors degrees. If your education provides the same ground, it may work as well.

Ayh! Axle you already have bachelors in Australia, sorry I forgot it (though this evaluation thing may still work to skip some classes). Then its very much ok for you to get in any 4-year program ;)

edit: Ok, help! Guys, I am pretty much confused about this ECTS thing :confused: May I ask:

If a country is out of EU system, like Russia or Syria, then they cant have the equivalent of ECTS credits, and so their education out of EU, whatever and howmuchever they have, is not recognized, right/wrong?

One leg of my confusion comes from the point that, Turkey is not an EU member, but still follows Bologna Process and Turkish schools all have ECTS equivalents for the courses they provide. So the education in Turkey is recognized and can be used to transfer to any EU school, despite its out of EU, right/wrong?

The other leg of my confusion is that, all of the bachelors degrees taken out of EU are recognized by EU countries. I always had an inclination to think that, the schools were converting the courses of those degrees to ECTS system, and later recognize. Isnt it that way? If you are graduate, never mind with which courses you fill in your degree, in any case it is recognized and there is no conversion to ECTS, right/wrong?

It looks like that I am dragging the thread to somewhere else, but its related with the questions of Axle and Tarif.. and clarifies things in my mind as well.. thanks a lot in advance :)

axle
12-28-2011, 11:22 AM
yeh bidiboom.
but there's a problem,i have bachelor degree of business,and diploma degree of biosciences from Aus,so diploma degree isnt a 4 yrs degree,and i dont think that business degree is enough to start 4 yrs MD degree,since they have no connection :)
i think still i will apply personally and ask for all details when i'm there.
Jag and Charles are like dream for me now,still trying doesnt kill anyone.otherwise we can still go for the other ones.i have plenty of time till next Sept.
fingers crossed .. :)

bidiboom
12-28-2011, 11:50 AM
...i have bachelor degree of business......i dont think that business degree is enough to start 4 yrs MD degree,since they have no connection...

If I am wrong, friends correct me, but to my knowledge, as long as you take premed courses, with any bachelors degree you are eligible for 4-year med programs. Though many of them demand MCAT as well, but in Jag website I didnt see a premed year prerequisite. They demand bachelors degree and MCAT. If you take MCAT, then you must be able to join Jag's 4-year program without entrance exam. And your bioscience studies sholud take a great burden in your studies in bio. If you make a self study at home only about chem+phys, you can make it! Actually without any physics knowledge, only studying chem+bio at home, I was doing well in MCAT trial tests. I mean its not big deal and you have time ;)

Again to my knowledge 4-year programs offer US system education (which is complying with USMLE test steps), and 6-year programs offer European system education, which we follow in Turkey too.

devildoc8404
12-28-2011, 12:25 PM
That is generally correct, bidiboom. If you have a bachelor's degree and have taken the pre-med science courses, you should be able to apply to the 4-year programs. If you haven't taken the pre-med sciences yet, you can still take them as post-bac courses.

shrey
12-28-2011, 01:50 PM
I'd recommend you try transferring to a place that will exempt you from at least one or two subjects. If not, it's not worth transferring in the first place. It would just be more ideal to start over.

I think it's pretty impossible to transfer to Polish, Czech, and Hungarian schools from Russia unless you're an exceptional student with exceptional circumstances (like if you're a refugee in a country that's not safe or if your medical school shut down for unknown reasons.) So you'd be better off starting over in a place that suits your budget (high budget - med schools in Malta and Milan, Italy; moderate budget - CR, Hungary, Poland, Latvia, Lithuania; low budget - Romania, Croatia, Bulgaria etc.)

lefteris
12-28-2011, 02:38 PM
We have heard that all Charle's Medical schools are accepting more medical students than they can accomodate so there is a huge number of drop outs upto third year ! Is this true and to what extend ? Also if it is true and someone is really good student what alternatives has to continue to another medical school ? Is a high rate of quits in masaryk medical school also ?
At the end what are these actual ratios and what is the truth behind ?

shrey
12-28-2011, 09:42 PM
Well, I think each Charles Faculty is different but in general, yes you're right that they do accept a lot of medical students and the number falls down drastically by the end of 3rd year. This is because the schools in CR (and even in Hungary for that matter of fact) believe in giving a chance to everyone (whether they deserve it or not) to prove themselves. They don't just arbitrarily fail someone or want to fail someone just for the heck of it. They just set the standards pretty high (but pretty fair) but many students don't deal well with meeting up to such standards (and these students are the ones like me, who have attended medical school right out of high school/A-levels.) So if you look at the actual ratios, you will see that American/Canadian students (not all! just most of them) fare far better than say, British/Irish or African students.

Every faculty (except the 2nd Fac, and the ones in HK and Pilsen) starts with around 80-130 (the latter is true for the 1st fac.) and this number falls down to around 30-50 by the end of the 3rd year. Not every student here is kicked out. Many will have the repeat the year all over and if they fail the same subject again, then they're kicked out. Pretty fair deal if you ask me!

lefteris
12-29-2011, 01:29 PM
Thanks Shrey for the information but why you put out the 2nd Fac and the ones in HK & Pilsen ? They dont have such high drops or they dont accept many ? Also what do you think of Masaryk medical for this ? Is it comparable to Charles Fac medical schools ? ALso the Comenius or Kozice medicaL schools are in good level ? thanks

shrey
12-29-2011, 04:32 PM
Well both actually. Their annual intake of students is low (even the 3rd Fac for that matter of fact) but unlike the 3rd or the 1st facs., their attrition/fail rate is not so high.

Masaryk Medical University is pretty good and yes, it could be compared to some faculties of Charles (like the ones in HK or Pilsen). It's better in many ways as it's relatively newer, and therefore the school administration is a lot better, better infrastructure, facilities, etc.

Comenius Medical school is quite good from what I've heard but it's not on the same level as the CR schools as the curriculum is not as rigorous from what I've heard. Kozice I'm not sure about.

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.