PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Student Wanting to End Up Working in EU

alonaphage
10-03-2011, 03:45 PM
Hey everyone,
I'm currently a 1st year university student (doing a Biomed degree) in Canada but my life long dream would be to practice medicine in the EU (preferably the UK). I am a non-EU citizen but have Ukrainian roots. I have Canadian citizenship. I am wondering, if I went to Charles Uni (the 6 yr program or the 4 yr, depending on whether or not I decide to finish my undergrad here), would it be possible for me to do residence in the UK? Or, can I complete residence in another EU country and then work in the UK?

Would it be a better idea to go to med school in Ireland instead if I want to work in UK?

Thank you for your input!

bidiboom
10-04-2011, 11:22 AM
Hey everyone,
I'm currently a 1st year university student (doing a Biomed degree) in Canada but my life long dream would be to practice medicine in the EU (preferably the UK). I am a non-EU citizen but have Ukrainian roots. I have Canadian citizenship. I am wondering, if I went to Charles Uni (the 6 yr program or the 4 yr, depending on whether or not I decide to finish my undergrad here), would it be possible for me to do residence in the UK? Or, can I complete residence in another EU country and then work in the UK?

Would it be a better idea to go to med school in Ireland instead if I want to work in UK?

Thank you for your input!

Hi alonaphage :)

Actually I waited for another member friend here to reply your question.. there are more knowledgable people about UK/Irish matters here, but here is my two cents :p

If you consider especially UK, then Irish schools (especially the high ranking ones) may be better for you, albeit I still have question marks about the cost/benefit question.. they are really very expensive and, to me, besides selling med education, they sell prestige and a speculative value created by today's trend as well.. also I couldnt see yet a big difference between Irish/EU med schools by the respect of number of graduates that find residency match in US, which is a quality criterion for me.. but this is only my opinion.. its said that Irish schools' graduates have a better chance for the ones considering future in US/UK.

As for Charles, the summaries of some of the med schools may be useful:
http://medical-schools.blogspot.com/

Hope this helps :)

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.