PDA

View Full Version : Any Canadian students at LODZ??

tfcfan
08-31-2011, 03:25 PM
Joining MUL in October 2011 6-year MD program. Wondering if there are any fellow Canadians at Lodz ? :)

misscanadian
09-01-2011, 04:34 PM
HELLO! I AM FROM CANADA! WOOOT! Glad to see I am not the only one! I am so excited! I'm going to private msg you so we can get in contact.

misscanadian
09-01-2011, 04:35 PM
... no one responds to threads here.

tfcfan
09-06-2011, 12:39 PM
sorry been really busy with long weeekend and then the paper work for this school, its such a hassle...
I'm from toronto to answer your previous :)

misscanadian
09-13-2011, 08:08 PM
tfcfan private message me your name so we can get in contact..a fellow canadian is an automatic friend! :)

ppawlik
09-14-2011, 10:20 PM
Hi,I noticed that your going into the 6 year program at Lodz this year. I am planning on applying this upcoming year to go in 2012 and was wondering if you could let me know how the whole entrance process went for you, the interview and what sorts of questions did they ask. I am also from Canada (London Ontario) and was just curious about how the international student loans worked, etc. I would really love to hear your feedback and maybe let me know how your liking it there so far! I'd really appreciate it!!

misscanadian
09-15-2011, 08:51 AM
Hey pawlik,
Did you go to Western by any chance? I lived in London the past 4 years. But I would recommend looking into the 4 year program (that is the American based program) specific for Canadians and Americans. It is easier to come back to Canada and the States for residency after that program since it is equivalent to the programs they run here (4 year MD)...unless you are applying straight out of high school?

ppawlik
09-15-2011, 09:47 AM
Yes I am currently at UWO, i just thought going into the 6 year program would be more beneficial (less time). Would you be able to tell me about the 4 year program process? What was the GPA cutoff? MCAT cutoff? And any information that would be useful for me on how to apply and what documents I need. I'd really appreciate it! :) Thankss

ppawlik
09-15-2011, 09:57 AM
Also, on the website it says you need a full year of physics, biology, organic and general chemistry. It doesn't state the grades you need in each?? Do I just need a credit in each because I took a full year of physics and general chemistry (1st year) and organic aswell as biology. The website is very broad and I just need some clarification on how the whole admission process works!!

misscanadian
09-15-2011, 01:20 PM
Ok so I just graduated from UWO and am leaving for Lodz in 10 days. I know someone who is going into his fourth year at Lodz (also from UWO) in the 4 year MD program. The 4 year MD program is based on the American System- therefore with that diploma you can work anywhere in Canada/US/Europe. The 6 year diploma may not be recognized by Canada or the US because it is a European style diploma (you have to be careful when researching international schools for this reason). So I know information about the 4 year program so I will let u know about that. For the 4 year MD, the exams are now NBME style- that means the same people that write the USMLE will be writing the exams you need to pass throughout your 4 years. This is good preparation for you- because everyone who wishes to practice medicine in Canada or the USA need to pass the USMLE test (even if you graduate from a Canadian med school). With NBME style exams you will be well prepared (and of course self studying will be crucial). So my friend just wrote the USMLE (after studying at Lodz) and did very well. He is really happy about his decision to attend Lodz.

In order to get into the 4 year MD program you do need to have a full year of organic chemistry, general chemistry, physics, and biology. Make sure you have at least a 70 in each of those courses- they will consider your grades with your volunteering and community commitments and decide whether or not your grades are high enough based on that and most likely the country/university you are coming from. Higher grades will be more beneficial- a 2.8/3.0 is prob the minimum GPA they look for (although not stated- but more of a guarantee). You have to have written the MCAT and received a mark of at least 24 and up- if you did not write your MCAT you will be required to write an entrance exam during your skype interview. The entrance exam consists of a few general biology/chemistry/physics questions- nothing too difficult and I believe any science student should do just fine. The Skype interview is a standard medical school interview. They want to get to know you and see what kind of person you are. They may ask you questions based on your application (your volunteering etc). What kind of traits are important for a doctor to have. What kind of campaigns/promotional events have you been a part of or what is Canada doing about it (related to health). ETC. Generally as you discuss with them they will ask you more questions based on your answers- basically you will lead a discussion.

I will let you know how the year is going when I start so that you can make a decision and have more information.
Also- the residence is awesome. All international students are placed in one residence building and everyone has a single room! So very lucky! :)

misscanadian
09-15-2011, 01:21 PM
Let me know if you have any questions- or tfcfan can give you more information on the 6 year program.

misscanadian
09-15-2011, 01:37 PM
Mmmm I can't say much about the 6 year program though- every school is different so do more research to see if it is recognized. It may very well be and if you want to save time (assuming not wait to get your bachelors) then maybe it is the right thing for you to do.

ppawlik
09-15-2011, 06:03 PM
Thanks for all the information!! I really appreciate it! :)
I do have one last question, what courses did you take? I'm in Honors Specialization Biology. And on the application it says to state the general chemistry I and II courses taken, Bio I and II and physics. I'm wondering can that be any biology that I have taken during my 4 years?? Obviously my first year marks weren't as high as my second year/third year marks. That's why I'm wondering as long as I put the course number and that it is biology I should be fine?
Thanks

misscanadian
09-16-2011, 06:55 AM
Well no matter what you have to send them your transcript so they will see all of your marks. And Bio I/11, Chem I/II, and Physics I/II are all referred to as the general first year courses- so I am pretty sure it has to be just the general biology, however you can always e-mail admissions and ask- although they do ask for the course code and I believe it does have to be the first year level- upper year biology courses are more specific and are not general biology. No matter what they see your transcript- and see all of your grades. I am unsure how it will work if you do that...lol...email them and ask if it has to be first year level. Hope that kind of helped lol

ppawlik
09-16-2011, 08:17 AM
Well that makes no sense since all American and Canadian med schools look at your 2 best years and not your first year marks... i could do amazing in first year and do poorly the rest of my 3 years and i'd get accepted?? that's weird... oh well I'll just have to talk to them personally when the time comes...thanks tho

misscanadian
09-16-2011, 08:54 AM
No- you would not be accepted, like I said they look at your ENTIRE TRANSCRIPT- that means they look at ALL your marks!!! The bio, physics, chem and organic chemistry are REQUIRED courses- that means you can come from an engineering background but they want you to atleast have THOSE COURSES DONE. I think you misinterpreted what I am trying to say. Also- yes the application tells you to write down your grades for those courses- but it is to make sure you have completed them.
ALSO- every medical school in Canada or the US has different criteria they look at- schulich medical school at western looks at GPA for final two years of study (min 3.8), and the MCAT score has to be very high- while at McMaster they only take into account the verbal section and you need to do a computer based test just for the school, but they look at your overal cumulative avg. Toronto also looks at your entire cumulative avg. I would do a bit more research first.

And if you look at other professional schools even in Canada, such as optometry at Waterloo they will look at your first year marks- unfortunately that is what it is and in undergrad one is usually not aware of that until later when they look at applications.

misscanadian
09-16-2011, 09:09 AM
The reason why those core courses are required is because unlike all medical schools in Canada or the US one can apply to LODZ without having written their MCAT. All US/CANADIAN med schools require a decently high mark on the MCAT- which deals with general bio/chem/physics/orgo so obviously they know you are knowledgeable in those areas without having to show that you have taken those courses. However it makes sense for a school like LODZ to require you to have those courses if you want to try to get in without writing the MCAT and writing the entrance exam. It's medical school you need to show you know basic bio/chem/physics. So it's not weird at all- it makes perfect sense.

If you have decent first year marks and good marks in the following years you should be fine.

lemn
06-29-2012, 08:04 AM
Hi misscanadian,
Can you tell me how big is the class for a given year?

And do 1st year students of 4yr program take courses with 3rd year students of 6yr program? 'Cause I noticed that some courses correspond with the times.

Jonathon-St-Onge
07-12-2012, 11:36 AM
I will be heading to Lodz for winter semester 2012. Anyone have an idea on the size of the dorms in dormatory no.3? Any tips on what to bring and not bring to the dorms?

thekoz
07-12-2012, 03:27 PM
@LEMN : Class sizes for last year came out to be about 10 per group, with two groups. The courses for the 1st of 4 year program over lap with the 1st and 2nd of 6 year. 2nd of 4 and 3rd of 6 then overlap (with 4 year program starting some clinical courses that year)

@Jonathon : I don't personally live in the dorms but I know that you have a bed, desk dresser and end tables. Usually, if not every one has a balcony. In regards to what to bring, clothes for sure (because they are a bit expensive), computer and external hard drive, and personal effects. You can purchase your books on site via some online retailers like medicalbooks (dot) pl/ or amazon (dot) co (dot) uk/ (I've used amazon from the UK and some books have been cheaper, plus free shipping)

misscanadian
07-31-2012, 11:17 AM
Every year has been a little different but the 4 year MD class is about 15 on average. Some classes of the 4 year MD are mixed with the 2nd year of the 6 year MD. The 6 year MD class is around 30 or so. Classes used to be larger but they are being more selective as of recent years. I really like the small class; the class becomes very close and you all work together. You can talk to professors/doctors without any problems and get to know everyone on a one-on-one basis. 1st year of 4yearMD take courses with 2nd year of 6yrMD- those being Physiology, Biochemistry, and Histology (in first year). This is however only the lectures; labs and tutorials are left to the individual class.

Hope that helps

Hi misscanadian,
Can you tell me how big is the class for a given year?

And do 1st year students of 4yr program take courses with 3rd year students of 6yr program? 'Cause I noticed that some courses correspond with the times.

canadian_jerzyk
07-31-2012, 09:11 PM
To add to what misscanadian wrote, the 2nd of 4-MD shares Pathomorphology, Pharmacology, Genetics, and Immunology with the 3rd of 6-MD, but only Pathomorph and Pharma lectures are together. The 6-MD program's more spread-out schedule means that the 4-MD students have most of the overlapping classes earlier in their curriculum, such as in an earlier year or the semester before the 6-MD's have theirs. You will have plenty of people willing to help out :)

However, each class has a separate schedule for the clinical rotations in the 2nd half of each program.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.