PDA

View Full Version : Why SMUFOM?

efiesta
08-30-2011, 11:53 PM
About St. Martinus University

When selecting a Caribbean Medical School, St. Martinus University Faculty of Medicine on the island of Curaçao is the Caribbean’s best kept secret. At St. Martinus University we are passionate about the quality of education, and we are looking for students and faculty that will share this passionate. Curaçao is a melting pot of North American, European and Latin American cultures, and St. Martinus University is the same. We offer our students the best of both worlds:

Curaçao is considered the ideal location for education in the Caribbean. There are many reasons why St. Martinus University should be your first choice for medical education. Let us give you some of the reasons why:

St. Martinus University Faculty of Medicine is one of two private medical schools in the Caribbean that offers a two-semester per year system, consistent with the LCME-accredited U.S., Canadian, and most medical schools around the world. It is no surprise that the other School with a much longer history with the same system has consistently had the highest USMLE Step 1 pass rates and residency placement percentages.

Studies have shown that three-semester per year systems have a pace that is too fast for the students and they are unable to retain the information they have been taught, which yields lower USMLE test scores. The two semester system offers 20 weeks of curriculum, allowing students to take their time to truly learn and understand the curriculum. SMUFOM offers a three-week remediation course at the end of each semester for those students who need a little more intensive instruction to enhance their ability to continue on to the next semester.
Our students will be exposed to the hospital clinical setting starting the first semester. We are pursuing a relationship with the 300-bed regional hospital in Curaçao so you are exposed to this knowledge in action! It should also be noted that the Government of Curaçao has approved a $230 million state-of-the art replacement hospital that is in the final stages of development.
The total yearly tuition is 15% ($4,200) less than three semester schools.
Curaçao ! This island offers white sand beaches and colorful buildings which is displayed through the Dutch influenced architecture and hospitality. The cost of living in Curaçao is also considerably less than most other Caribbean islands. Homes are more affordable and filled with European appeal.
The heritage of the Sisters of Rosenthal rings through the halls of St. Martinus University. Build in 1842, the Sisters laid the foundation of our exceptional educational system. SMUFOM truly offers excellence through education.
Safety. Curacao has one of the lowest crime rates per capita of the Caribbean islands. Additionally, it is ranked last in the likelihood of being hit by a hurricane.
A Student Portal- SMUFOM offers an interactive student portal accessible via website. Students can login and find all class documents including syllabus, handouts, and class updates. It is also an exceptional way to stay in contact with your classmates and professors.
Curaçao has one of the lowest cost of living in Caribbean Islands.

f-anaida
08-31-2011, 11:48 PM
I Like it now i decided to come sooner.

heapro
09-02-2011, 12:08 AM
me too dear

f-anaida
09-03-2011, 01:09 AM
CONTACT NUMBER OF SMUFOM
Curacao Office and Campus:
(718) 841-7682
(599-9) 465-4768
St. Martinus University
Faculty of Medicine
Brionplein 1, Otrobanda
P.O.Box 2050
Curaçao
US Office:
877.681.4SMU (4768) - Available: 9:00am-6:00pm EST
Canada Office:
718.841.7SMU (7768) - Available: 9:00am-6:00pm EST

carib_junkie
09-03-2011, 03:06 AM
I am interested in the school. How do the 2 semesters work? Can anyone please shed some light on that?

theMDgoat
09-03-2011, 01:10 PM
Carib-junkie, pm me and I'll try to explain why i chose for the 2 semester option vs the classic formula of 3 16wks semesters.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.