PDA

View Full Version : Rotation hours

med209
08-29-2011, 08:39 AM
Is there any policy regarding the hours in rotation per week? My friend just told me he did about 55 at CCH last week but I always thought the regular one is 40 (8x5).

rokshana
09-01-2011, 12:10 AM
Is there any policy regarding the hours in rotation per week? My friend just told me he did about 55 at CCH last week but I always thought the regular one is 40 (8x5).

actually there is, currently, no restrictions on medical student hours...resident duty hours legally pertain only to residents. The ACGME and the LCME have discussed limiting the numbers for students, but nothing is in effect.

hospitals usually will however restrict students to the 80 hour work week...but some rotations like surgery and ob will regularly exceed 80 hours.

med209
09-01-2011, 11:33 PM
Thanks Rokshana for the info. I really appreciate it.

curmed
09-03-2011, 11:23 PM
how can one work 80 hours a week? Isn't it way too much?

rokshana
09-04-2011, 08:18 AM
how can one work 80 hours a week? Isn't it way too much?

seriously? you do know that that is an imposed limit, right? Before the 80 hour work week was established, a resident could easily work over 100 hours in a week....and the 80 hour week is an average over 4 weeks, so its not that you won't work over 80 hours some weeks (heck the ICU is regularly over 80 in a week) its just that the average has to be 80.

as a student, my surgery rotations and ob/gyn rottions easily had weeks where i was over 80 hours...2 overnight calls and you are at 60 hours in those 4 days...the other 3 days will easily be 10-12 hour days and that puts you over 80 easy....

CMUDean
09-09-2011, 10:33 AM
The LCME has recommended that students should not work longer hours than residents but there are no laws. American schools will tend to follow the LCME's recommendations (at least on paper) to avoid problems on their 7 year evaluations. The Institute of Medicine (IOM) and the NIH have recommended even stricter limits for students and residents of only 16-hour shifts instead of the current 30 hour shift limit. It is likely that in the next few years residency programs will limit first year residents to 16 hour shifts- which would mean most US schools would also limit their clinical students to the same. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

rokshana
09-09-2011, 08:48 PM
The LCME has recommended that students should not work longer hours than residents but there are no laws. American schools will tend to follow the LCME's recommendations (at least on paper) to avoid problems on their 7 year evaluations. The Institute of Medicine (IOM) and the NIH have recommended even stricter limits for students and residents of only 16-hour shifts instead of the current 30 hour shift limit. It is likely that in the next few years residency programs will limit first year residents to 16 hour shifts- which would mean most US schools would also limit their clinical students to the same. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

ummm, you are not very up to date are you?
as of july 1st of this yr, interns cannot work more than 16 hours and residents cannot work more than 28 hours...of course i really don't think an actual resident serves on the IOM and ACGME committees that make these recommendations (i would rather get my 30 hours in,and in turn know that my weekends during electives wouldn't be filled with back up, help resident call, or jeopardy call and that i wouldn't have to stay in house til 7pm 6 days a week and could actually leave at a reasonable time most days...but then that's just the resident in me...).

IMHO they are going to see that its multiple handoffs that increase medical errors, not length of duty hours (since the studies already show no chance in medical errors with the institution of the 80 hour work week)...

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.