PDA

View Full Version : SABA general/inorganic chemistry requirement.

gav
08-24-2011, 03:42 PM
Hi fellow members,
I am very confused about this...
I was wondering if I can take analytical chemistry (or anything else, please let me know) at Ryerson (CKCH216) to fulfill the general chem requirement. I am a student at UofT and I really don't want to take CHM220 and CHM217 if I can take it at Ryerson. I have the other half of general chemistry (CHM139) and all other pre-requisites. Thanks for your help.

Intrepid1
08-24-2011, 05:14 PM
You should just call admissions and ask them if they'll accept it or not.

sgMD
08-25-2011, 08:19 AM
I was in the same boat. You don't even need to take a second year chem course! Take the second part of first year Inorganic Chem at Ryerson. The thing is we cover all of first year inorganic chemistry in a half-credit course (CHM139) at UofT but medical schools wouldn't know that we cover all topics in a semester course so you have to show them that you took a full year course. And guess what? By taking courses at Ryerson you are almost guaranteed an A- minimum ;)

gav
08-25-2011, 07:11 PM
That's awesome, but would it matter if it doesn't contain the lab component? Ryerson offers general chemistry II but without labs. Thanks.

metukah
08-26-2011, 08:39 PM
That's awesome, but would it matter if it doesn't contain the lab component? Ryerson offers general chemistry II but without labs. Thanks.

I was in the same boat re: missing half a general chemistry pre-req, as I only took CHEM139. I ended up taking CHEM218 thru Athabasca University (online) and it was pretty good, not too challenging. Saba said this course was fine. Also, when I asked if CHM220 (which is without lab) was ok, they approved that too. Just send them an email to confirm...but I'd recommend Athabasca, if you are ok with learning on your own.

axiomofchoice
08-26-2011, 08:45 PM
I'd be more concerned what the US/Canadian requirements are, not what Saba will let you in with....

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.