PDA

View Full Version : To the Carribean or to the UK?

Canadian/w/questions
08-21-2011, 07:45 PM
Hi everyone,

New to the forum and hoping I'm putting this in the right place. I am a Canadian who is having a tough time getting into medicine at home. Have always wanted to go aboard and am now looking into med schools in the UK and SABA. I want to return back to Canada to practice after I graduate from whichever school I go to and am wanting to make sure I get the info so I can make the best choice to attain my goal.

Wondering if any Canadians who went to or are currently attending SABA have any info that might help me out? I tried emailing to get in touch with previous or current Canadian students, but they told me they wouldn't give me any contacts until I was accepted.

Thanks!

benevolo
08-21-2011, 09:39 PM
I've heard that you can do post-graduate training in the UK if you do medical school there, even if you aren't a UK / EU citizen. That would be great in case you don't get a residency in the US or Canada as at least you'd have a residency somewhere. If that is true then there's no question that going to the UK is a much better choice. Canada accepts many UK residencies without any remedial training or licensing requirements allowing you to practice medicine in Canada immediately after.

If you don't match in the US or Canada after going to a Caribbean school, then you don't have any options left.

Newfoundlander
08-22-2011, 04:32 AM
Yeah, plus Canadian residencies love UK and Irish grads. I'd check out the Atlantic Bridge program if you are truly interested in studying abroad and have the $$$ needed to study in the UK (or in this case Ireland).

devildoc8404
08-22-2011, 04:36 AM
UK/Ireland are far better choices as far as breadth of professional options in medicine after graduation are concerned. Yes, some people do make it back to Canada from the Carib, but as was pointed out above, if you don't happen to match out of the Carib (and the numbers are not exactly in your favor) then you are kind of screwed.

Since Canada is a Commonwealth country, diplomas from UK/Ireland/Australia carry some extra chutzpah, as well.

benevolo
08-22-2011, 06:58 PM
Many Canadian schools are also starting to ban international med students for electives, unless they are at a commonwealth medical school.

I don't think you can do residency in Ireland though unless you're an Irish or EU citizen....On the other hand, I heard from someone who went to med school in the UK that you can do residency there.

axiomofchoice
08-22-2011, 07:08 PM
UK schools don't have programs specifically for north American students. If you can get in there you would be crazy to choose Carib

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.