PDA

View Full Version : US Bachelors Degree over US Masters Degree?

belles
08-11-2011, 12:20 AM
I have question that I have been pondering over quite some time now. I recieved my Bachelor of Science Degree in Biology in 2003. I was out of school for very long time teaching English after I received my degree. I decided recently that I have a great love for Science and Math and have decided to apply to graduate school in the U.S in biotechnology or physician assistant school to obtain a masters degree. I kind of figured that one couldn't apply to any medical school with a bachelors degree that is 8 years old because most of my science and math undergraduate courses I have taken are like 10 years old. I am thinking that if I obtain a recent masters degree that this could improve my chances of being admitted into medical school. Is my reasoning incorrect? Do Australia medical schools consider 10 year old science and math courses? And, no, I am not as old as this information might sound to you. I am actually in my early 30's. :p

Thanks,

Belle

hopefuldoc74
08-11-2011, 11:27 AM
I was in the same boat as yourself - I'm 36 - and can speak from experience that you will run into problems getting into a P.A. program with 10 year old science courses. There are Carib M.D. options that you can consider, if medicine interests you. There are many options other than seeing patients with an M.D.: you could go into research or get back into teaching. In any event, I wish you the best of luck! :)

TriageModerator
08-12-2011, 04:55 PM
Try contacting AustraLearn or the schools directly.

belles
08-13-2011, 01:09 PM
Thanks! I'll look into these suggestions!

devildoc8404
08-13-2011, 02:23 PM
In addition, there are some 5-year medical school programs in Ireland for those with bachelor's degrees and no MCAT (as well as 6-year programs for those without a bachelor's degree, although they might consider someone in your situation). They are competitive, but very strong medical schools with excellent reputations. Application information is available through Atlantic Bridge: US and Canadian students studying medicine, dentistry, and veterinary medicine in Ireland (http://www.atlanticbridge.com) -- I wish I had known about them when I was coming back to school.

axiomofchoice
08-13-2011, 03:58 PM
Masters in Biotech vs PA? What is it you want to do?

I don't think you can get into a PA school without some serious ground work, they're competitive.

TriageModerator
08-19-2011, 05:19 AM
Masters in Biotech vs PA? What is it you want to do?

I don't think you can get into a PA school without some serious ground work, they're competitive.

:thumbsup: Many PA schools require atleast 1000 hours of significant clinical experience (as a nurse, EMT, etc)

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.