PDA

View Full Version : Entrance Exam

hope.khanna
08-10-2011, 09:51 PM
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew if what the questions on the entrance exam are like and how many are there?

bidiboom
08-11-2011, 03:24 AM
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew if what the questions on the entrance exam are like and how many are there?

Here is the sample questions from university's official website:
http://www.admission.mug.edu.pl/10723.html

Check this and especially read Window Colour's post, if you like:
http://www.valuemd.com/medical-university-gdansk/213783-students-offers-gdansk-medical-school-2011-help-entrance-exam.html

hope.khanna
08-11-2011, 09:03 AM
Thank you so much. It's greatly appreciated. You were a big help.

Window Colour
08-14-2011, 08:01 AM
I forgot to say this back in my last post that was highlighted.

There were 60 questions in total, 30 chemistry and 30 biology and the time limit was 1 and half hours. All of the questions were multiple choice questions.

hope.khanna
08-14-2011, 12:19 PM
Wow! Thank you so much. That makes it a whole lot easier.

Window Colour
08-14-2011, 12:24 PM
Glad to help, I'm happy to answer any more questions (as long as it's not actually asking what the questions were word by word, I don't think the University would like me doing that).

hope.khanna
08-14-2011, 02:38 PM
Ah, no that's totally cool dude. I actually have all I need. But, what I was wondering was what is the passing rate. Like how many questions do I have to answer correctly to pass? Thank you again. I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy schedule to reply back to me.

Window Colour
08-14-2011, 04:14 PM
That I am not sure. Before the test started they made an announcement on what they'll be doing after the exam: they will immediately mark our answer sheets and then call out batches of us. Those who got the highest would get an immediate acceptance, and those who are boundary would then follow up with an interview with the university of Gdnask staff there.

I think to be in the higher catagory we had to get over 90 points (as I was in called into the higher group and the person who got the lowest out of all us got 90), the points thing is something I am not sure about , I think the maximum number of points possible to get is 130 but don't believe me on that as that was never mentioned in the announcement but something the professor said to one who got a hundred something out of 130.

So I'm guessing that specific catagory you would need 70%, as for actually passing it's lower. I don't know how low does that go.

Haha, I'm not acutally busy right now. I'm on my holidays, just stuck at home with all the riots going on outside (but it's calmed down now, so it should be safe to go back out).

hope.khanna
08-14-2011, 11:01 PM
Oh cool wow you really don't know what a big help you have been and if the word dude or another offends you in any way i apologize ahead of time
. Im american that is why. Anyway thank you again

Window Colour
08-15-2011, 09:34 AM
oh haha don't worry it doesn't, I currently go to an american medical school in the carribean so I am used to most of the words. Just have some troubles on the words Brits use that arn't used in US such as naught, loo, plasters...ect

786-90
09-10-2011, 07:26 PM
The entrance exam is not easy for a-level students such as myself.
We do not learn e.g. chemistry to such a depth... in the exam they state specific names of molecules which we have never even herd off !

Window Colour
09-10-2011, 08:51 PM
It's been a while since I did A-level chemistry (about 4 years ago I think), admittedly I too had a hard time in chemistry (even back then) and there were a few questions I had no idea what it was asking about. About the question you mentioned was it something possible to work out?

bidiboom
09-11-2011, 02:16 AM
The entrance exam is not easy for a-level students such as myself.
We do not learn e.g. chemistry to such a depth... in the exam they state specific names of molecules which we have never even herd off !

Dont worry :) in any case you can be successful.. you only need a good book, some friends to ask (like here you can find), and just to put your head a little bit in the topics you dont know.. not all of them, but the ones you dont know.. those tests are not a big deal.. only you need accurate concepts and fresh info in your mind..

Actually you know what, its especially good not to know that good, because over this way, while you prepare for the exam, you will be preparing yourself for higher lectures in the first and second years of any medical school.. because the first years' lectures are all based on those basic sciences and you will need a lot what you will learn now :) and in following years, say for instance, in physiology you will see how you need to know a couple of topics from biology, chemisty and physics altogether only in one single subject.. say for instance only in one chapter of circulation physiology, there are pressure of liquids (hydrostatic), surface tension, wave, and of course biology.. you will need them all.. so its an advantage to refresh and put on more :)

I use Brown/Le May/Bursten's Chemistry and I can recommend it.. I learned a lot of concepts in that book..

Also you can ask the questions you need to clarify.. actually its good for me too to see whether I can handle or not, and if not, to learn :)

shsmatherUJ
10-10-2011, 08:40 AM
Hey
I was just wondering if admission to gdansk is based solely on how you do on the entrance exam..or do they still take under consideration your marks?
Also in what countries can you write the exam? And when can you start applying for the 2012/2013 year?

thanks

Window Colour
10-11-2011, 12:38 PM
I'm not sure, I think they would look at your grades first before letting you taking the entrance examination and if you were borderline, they would then look at the grades again and interview you for consideration.

I think the exam is only done in London, England as in the exams there were people from other countries aswell. As for when to apply I think it depends on which country your from (as the agency for each country to apply for Gdansk is different - I can't post links yet, but its on their Medical university of Gdansk website under "M.D. Programme" on the left column) I applied in March and managed to take the exam in May the same year for the coming year.

freyr
01-05-2012, 02:11 PM
Just wondering, are we allowed to take in a calculator with us to the exam and are we provided with a periodic table of elements? From the sample questions, they seem very easy (I am in my final year studying genetics... but to be hoenst, don't even need any uni info to answer any of the questions, they're all a level!) providing I have a table of elements and a calc!

Window Colour
01-05-2012, 03:35 PM
Yeh, we were allowed, they said bring a simple calculator (no scientific calculators or ones in mobile phones). I think they give you the perodic table in the question book like all exams. When I took the exam, I did noticed a small number of medical knowlegde was needed in the biology bit.

reichmann
02-25-2012, 11:29 AM
The questions for the entrance exam are high school level biology and chemistry. Interview questions may include any life science theoretical knowledge you may have, on your official undergrad transcripts, if they are attached.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.