PDA

View Full Version : an observer

seeker558
08-06-2011, 07:59 PM
I should make clear that I am not a medical student and don't ever plan to be one. I do respect and admire people who are in medicine. A friend of mine said "If you can do anything else, do it" He's a board certified physician. What he meant was that it is so hard and so long an educational path that it's not for the faint of heart. That's why they have earned my respect. But onto the purpose of this blog. As an observer, I've noticed a couple things. Medical education is incredibly complicated in how it's structured. The type of education is straightforward; there is an insane amount of information to learn, but it's the same for all medical students. I mean, pathology at one school is the same as pathology at another school. The difference lies in everything else. For today, I'm just going to talk about how schools make money from students. Fundamentally, medical schools make most if not all their money from the first couple years of basic sciences. I mean, it doesn't matter how many people are in a class. Right? The cost to the school is the same whether it's 25 or 100. I've taught awhile so I know that it's a different experience for students, but not so much for faculty unless a person does a lot of tutoring and individual Q & A. The rotation sites cost medical schools a lot of money. Remember, medical schools pay each rotation site for each rotation slot. Since there is a finite number of rotation slots, that's the limiting factor (i.e. bottleneck). The way to examine a school is to compare the number of admitted students to the number of greenbook rotation sites. If the number of student admissions far exceed the number of rotation sites, then something has to give. Generally speaking, it means that the school has to do something to make students fail. There are legitimate ways to accomplish that goal and then there are less ethical ways to do so. The truly heartless way to do so is to accept people who don't have a chance to succeed in any medical school. They don't have the science background or aptitude and in some cases just aren't smart enough to succeed. Not everyone is smart enough to be a doctor. No insult intended. At any rate, one business plan is to accept just about anyone, get their first semester's tuition and fail all but 25% of the class. No conspiracy at all, just feeding on people's dreams. Unethical, yeah, but not illegal. After all, people are adults and should know what they can and can't do. Feeding on dreams is just such a rotten way to make money. Thanks for reading.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.