PDA

View Full Version : Question about Chiropractic, PT and manual therapy

MadLobster
07-30-2011, 05:02 PM
Hello eveyone, thanks for reading my thread.
I am very interested in rehabilitative therapies and I truly believe that an integrated approach between different healthcare philosophies is essential for improving patient outcome. I am a physical therapist with an open mind, and my area of interest is manual therapy. I work with orthopedic patients, mostly spinal problems. From a chiropractic point of view, I would like to ask your opinion regarding the following:

Would it be more interesting to complete a Chiropractic program in order to gain knowledge about spinal care and other musculoskeletal dysfunctions, or would it be better to attend manual therapy courses such as those offered by NAIOMT or Hands-On Seminars?

Lets say that time and money were not factors to be considered in this situation. Which rout would you take?

Thanks for your opinion!

Forsaken38
07-30-2011, 09:54 PM
Well, I think its completely subjective to what YOU find interesting. If you just want to do manual therapy (mobilization not adjusting) then go with that, but if you want to learn to adjust then go to DC or DO school. I make a distinction between the two because depending on your states law it may be illegal for PT's to do manipulation of any kind.

But aside from that, many people have a misconception about chiro education. It is a long, very intense program. So it depends on how much you want to learn. Look at the curriculum of several schools and see what strikes your interest. If you want to learn most of it, then go for it.

SteveB
10-04-2011, 01:13 PM
I agree with Forsaken38. Chiro is a whole another profession so I'm not sure if this qualifies as skill-set expansion, this would be more like career change which I don't think is what you're looking for. I'd focus on PT techniques, there are plenty of them which just get mentioned or briefly described during standard PT college program

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.