PDA

View Full Version : My daughter has failed 2nd year med school

paris75
07-28-2011, 11:04 AM
my daughter has just let me know she has failed second year at UEA and will resit in 3 weeks time. I just need to know if she were to fail the resit will she be kicked out or given the chance to redo the whole year.

Agent Smirnoff
07-30-2011, 09:19 AM
my daughter has just let me know she has failed second year at UEA and will resit in 3 weeks time. I just need to know if she were to fail the resit will she be kicked out or given the chance to redo the whole year.

Well first of all I think your daughter should get on here and give us more info about this.

Second of all : I think she should ask the University as they will have more information specific to her situation. It probably depends on her past and previous scores and performance to be honest and it will be dealt with on a case by case basis probably.

So it is best to ask the university. However I would think they would let her redo the year. But seeing as things are tougher nowadays and they need room for new intake and whatnot , we cannot rule out her dismissal from the course.

Jnayar
09-30-2011, 04:16 PM
Hi

My son has failed the 2nd year and has been withdrawn. We have cntacted a lawyer. Hope your daughter has managed to clear the paper. If not get in touch. Good luck

rym10ywu
10-09-2012, 08:16 AM
I have also failed 2nd year at UEA and am now appealing. At which stage did you contact a lawyer? We have submitted Stage 1 appeal and are waiting for the results

Jnayar
10-09-2012, 08:51 AM
I have also failed 2nd year at UEA and am now appealing. At which stage did you contact a lawyer? We have submitted Stage 1 appeal and are waiting for the results

ASAP

See how the appeal goes interact with your med school board. Speak to them dont sit back. Contact a good lawyer asap. Send me a contact and I will give you details oo and where

rym10ywu
10-09-2012, 09:21 AM
We were told not to contact a lawyer until stage 2- my uncle is a solicitor and would happily support my appeal. The only thing is I find out the results of the appeal on 19th oct.... the deadline for applying for other medical schools via UCAS is oct 15th. I dont want to miss out on applications should the appeal not go well.

rokshana
10-09-2012, 09:49 AM
how about...maybe...looking to see where YOU went wrong and not blame the school for your failure....if you failed in one school and don't reflect to see what you need to fix to succeed at another school, the end result will m/l be the same.

Jnayar
10-09-2012, 10:24 AM
how about...maybe...looking to see where YOU went wrong and not blame the school for your failure....if you failed in one school and don't reflect to see what you need to fix to succeed at another school, the end result will m/l be the same.

Give the kid a break.

Lets just hope things don't go wrong for anyone.

We approached in stage 2. Our lawyers said that it would have been good to contact them at the earliest. Dont stop applications. try all other options My advice - don't bank on the appeal

Good luck. There will be hurtful comments. You get to be stronger you deal with them

rokshana
10-09-2012, 12:07 PM
Give the kid a break.

Lets just hope things don't go wrong for anyone.

We approached in stage 2. Our lawyers said that it would have been good to contact them at the earliest. Dont stop applications. try all other options My advice - don't bank on the appeal

Good luck. There will be hurtful comments. You get to be stronger you deal with them

how about not pushing you child into a field that they aren't interested in...they probably went on your insistance and yet didn't put their all into med school and failed...now you are blaming the school for your child's deficiencies and most likely lack of interest....we have seen this time and time again...classmates that are only there because their parents only see becoming a doctor as the only respectable profession...and the OP just reinforces the stereotype...IF her daughter was so concerned, SHE would be here seeking advice...

a student fails out of med school for a reason...it may be they are not prepared for the extent of material, the fast paced nature of med school, culture shock, etc, or they are not studying properly, or are not managing their time wisely, BUT there IS a reason...and unless a student looks inside themselves and figures out what is wrong, then it will keep happening, regardless of appeals or change in schools...

rokshana
11-13-2012, 12:01 AM
I don't think referring to someones child as 'deficient' is going to present you in any other way then outright rude. Perhaps suggesting what you're trying to say in a more civilized manner will get the point across, you don't need to over-do it. In the end, it's not your problem, is it..

she failed out of medical school...there is some sort of deficiency...one thing you learn in medicine is that more problems come out of trying to sugar coat things...IF it was the daughter posting here asking for help and advice it would be a different story...sometimes parents need to get let their children grow up and make (and in turn learn) from their mistakes...its hard, but it is what is for the best.

axiomofchoice
11-13-2012, 11:14 AM
I agree with rok here. If not a 'deficiency' then what would you like to call it? I think medical schools are already too lenient for sub par individuals. Hiring a lawyer... Maybe your money would be better spent on a tutor

devildoc8404
11-13-2012, 03:51 PM
Rok doesn't need to call anyone "deficient..." the school already took care of that little detail. There are deficiencies here, that's why there is a dismissal pending. Repeating that charge -- or avoiding it -- isn't going to increase or decrease the truth of it.

Dismissal doesn't mean (necessarily) that the kid isn't smart, or that s/he isn't a good kid, but there is definitely some sort of deficiency, or dismissal would not be an issue. It could be an academic thing, it could be a motivational thing, it could be a time management thing, it could be a medical or psychiatric thing... but whatever the "thing" is, it has led to a deficiency.

I'm actually fairly well qualified to chime in here. I withdrew from my first medical school in the US (because they were going to dismiss me). That situation absolutely sucked, but I was able to overcome it. However, it only happened because I was willing and able to take responsibility for what had gone wrong at my first school. Now, the school handled the situation very poorly, and it was a shame that it went down like that, but the simple fact is that I had failed some exams, and that part of the deficiency was on me. Accepting that, correcting the problems that led to it, and subsequently busting my butt were the things -- the ONLY things -- that helped me to find another path to my goal. I graduate in January and I have a terrific residency position starting in just a few months. THAT is how I proved that I was not deficient.

Good Lord, I would have been mortified if my parents had hired lawyers to try to wrangle a way back for me into a school that didn't want me there. Look, if the OP's kid wants to continue in medical school, then great. S/he can find a freaking way and make it happen. But if that fire isn't there already, and if that is the reason for the deficiency, then you might as well take out a retainer with that law firm. You'll be needing them again.

rokshana
11-13-2012, 11:43 PM
Well, it's still not in your jurisdiction to call someone else deficient, is it now. You can take your nasty behavior with you, when you stopped replying to this thread, so the people who created the thread could get their problem solved, and not get psyched down by you.

actually it is...as it is ANYone who posts a reply in a thread on a public forum...i could easily say its not in your pervue to tell me not to call out someone's deficiency, but can say it...i may not agree with you (as it seems others disagree with you as well), but you can say it if you want.

and as devildoc has pointed out with his own example, we ALL were deficient as some point or we would not have had to go somewhere other than a US MD school..obviously many of us learned from our mistakes, decided to woe to what is our potential, etc and overcame those deficiencies...others like this woman's daughter did not ...no reason to keep making the same mistakes...the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome...

Tricuspid
08-29-2013, 06:22 PM
Lol if UEA means University of East Anglia, this woman's daughter may not have been American. Likely not.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.