PDA

View Full Version : Gdansk or Poznan?

downis
07-23-2011, 04:54 AM
Hi everybody!

So I got in to both med schools, Poznan and Gdansk (6 year M.D.). But can't really make up my mind. I was wondering if anyone could give me advice and tell me what they think, such as pros and cons about each university.

What I know so far:

Poznan: The english program is recognized by the Medical board of California) but Gdansk (english program) is not.
In poznan they prepare you for the USMLE. BUt is that only for the american/canadian students? Since, I read somewhere that they divide you into groups, such as american/canadians, taiwanees, scandinavia. If so, then the scandinavians students are not obligatory to take the USMLE? Poznan was ranked best med school in poland, but not the english program?
Problems with cheating. NMBE exams reused, but they fixed that with using computers instead?

Gdansk: A lot of swedish students, well equipped and is highly known here in Scandinavia. High competition in the first year so to remove those students who are not serious about school (that is they take in more than they have places for). Trips to Sweden (I am from Sweden, thats why) is very cheap and easy.

Anyways, that's some basic stuff I know about both school that I wanted to point out. But yea, I really need to decide asap. I hope you can help. Thank you!

alebambi
08-04-2011, 10:24 AM
hey!At first, I was also very uncertain on where to apply. However I asked many doctors and students from different universities in Poland and most of them reccomended Gdansk. It is better equipped and the english program works a lot better. I'll be going to sudy there from October :). I don't know for sure if it is recognized in California but I talked to a few californian students who study there so I guess it is!

reichmann
02-25-2012, 11:43 AM
True, the Gdansk Polish Division has Californian recognition and the Gdansk English Division is pending accreditation, should have it next year.

reichmann
02-25-2012, 11:48 AM
here is a new version of Gdansk with all the updates, Gda (http://gumed.edu.pl/15446.html)

scapula08
01-01-2014, 03:55 PM
People need to consider the lifestyle as well as the med school. Gdansk, Sopot Gdynia is probably one of the nicest places

devildoc8404
01-01-2014, 04:01 PM
Until the English program has CBM approval, I would consider it unwise to prognosticate on a timeline. Some places take (literally) years to get through that particular hoop. Others do not. Granted, I think Gdansk sounds like a fine program and I hope they get CBM sooner than later, but nothing is guaranteed.

Aside from that, my Polish friends tended to agree that the best places to attend medical school in Poland were Krakow and Gdansk... with Warsaw in the wings for nightlife. :)

mberger
01-02-2014, 06:32 AM
Good thought.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.