PDA

View Full Version : Why is SABA considered better than MUA aside from California approval??

coolguy2
07-20-2011, 05:33 PM
I attend MUA right now. Both SABA AND MUA are under the same ownership.
They have pretty much the same clinical sites..
Same curriculum..
Same loan program..
SABA has tougher acceptance standards, but the students at MUA fail out if they can't handle it anyways
MUA has a better campus on a better island..

Only thing SABA has is the 50-state approval, but the education is the SAME if not better at MUA because we actually have a life to keep us sane..
So I don't get it..why is it that SABA gets way better residency placements and more of them? Especially when SABA AND MUA students both do clinicals side by side..
Yes it does depend on your USMLE score at the end of the day BUT that doesn't explain why there are 10 Anesthesiology placements at SABA every year vs. ZERO (sometimes 1) at MUA if the education is all the same.
I understand that SABA students can practice in states that MUA students cannot, but if you look at the placements a lot of those placements are in states that MUA students can also practice..

Someone who goes to one of these schools please explain this to me.
Oh and no there is not any forums (recent ones at least) that talk about this.

THANKS!!

rokshana
07-20-2011, 06:15 PM
you answered your own question...50 state approval...yes it can make a difference.

and really? are the student demographics exactly the same as saba?

axiomofchoice
07-20-2011, 06:23 PM
Its not about failing out if you don't cut it. Its about outperforming the average. Saba students clearly do that more often.

People on VMD are always concerned about "passing" the Step, or "not failing out" during basic science. Focus on kicking a**, not being mediocre.

sgMD
07-21-2011, 12:37 AM
my understanding is this (and again my reference is the school's associate dean)

An average student at Saba, getting low 80's/high 70's would be a top student at MUA. I am paraphrasing because I don't remember the exact words/sentence. But I know students from MUA who get into JHopkins internal medicine residency while Saba students do not. But overall the students who come down here to Saba (especially from Canada) are very strong students. Many of these students had managed to get interviews from top-notch MD schools in Canada and got refused the first time and did not want to wait around and came down here. There are several (many!) MSc students from UofT/McMaster and many and a handful of PhD students from the same institutions down here (not that extra degrees it'd make you succeed in MD school but just to give you an idea). And alot of nurses, which actually do well because they are smart and also that they are familiar with many of the subjects taught in MD schools.

My buddy here at Saba did pre-med at MUA and he is KILLING IT on Saba! So really it's all about the individual rather than the institution. As you said we pretty much get the same education.

PS: My other friend here got into Dalhousie after 2nd semester for Medicine but he refused to go back because he didn't want to start all over again! There was a guy a couple of semesters ago who got into Northern Ontario Medical School and refused and chose to come to Saba because he wanted to be away from home with his wife or something. I am sure there are many other examples like this. So you could imagine what kind of students are studying down here!

axiomofchoice
07-21-2011, 03:54 PM
PS: My other friend here got into Dalhousie after 2nd semester for Medicine but he refused to go back because he didn't want to start all over again! There was a guy a couple of semesters ago who got into Northern Ontario Medical School and refused and chose to come to Saba because he wanted to be away from home with his wife or something. I am sure there are many other examples like this. So you could imagine what kind of students are studying down here!

The people you are describing are either idiots or liars.

As to Saba vs. MUA. It's all the same. No one not directly involved with these schools has ever heard of them. Residency is up to the individual. I'm gonna guess the better qualified students come to Saba. Hence, better results.

sgMD
07-21-2011, 04:46 PM
The people you are describing are either idiots or liars.

My rooomate got into Dalhousie after 2nd semester. I personally read the email they sent him. If you want his name and lastname, I would be more than glad to send you this information upon his agreement so you can contact him directly to confirm!
The guy who rejected Northern Ontario MD school to come down here... well his name was Sean! He lived here with his wife and graduated with a 4.0 gpa from Saba. You can ask anyone in 5th semester about Sean and they'd be able to confirm this information.

This is so not cool seeing some of you guys calling others liars and such just because you value your opinions so much. It's actually disgusting to see MD students behaving like this. Coming back to ValueMD was a big mistake. I let you guys continue your baseless arguments and fight over each others 'opinions'. I'm outa here.

axiomofchoice
07-21-2011, 05:42 PM
I didn't call anyone a liar. I simply stated that they are liars OR idiots.

I guess its the latter.

AphtaLyfe
07-23-2011, 10:07 AM
my understanding is this (and again my reference is the school's associate dean)

An average student at Saba, getting low 80's/high 70's would be a top student at MUA. I am paraphrasing because I don't remember the exact words/sentence. But I know students from MUA who get into JHopkins internal medicine residency while Saba students do not. But overall the students who come down here to Saba (especially from Canada) are very strong students. Many of these students had managed to get interviews from top-notch MD schools in Canada and got refused the first time and did not want to wait around and came down here. There are several (many!) MSc students from UofT/McMaster and many and a handful of PhD students from the same institutions down here (not that extra degrees it'd make you succeed in MD school but just to give you an idea). And alot of nurses, which actually do well because they are smart and also that they are familiar with many of the subjects taught in MD schools.

My buddy here at Saba did pre-med at MUA and he is KILLING IT on Saba! So really it's all about the individual rather than the institution. As you said we pretty much get the same education.

You know personally?

rokshana
07-23-2011, 11:49 AM

stupid as all get out....its the only thing i can think of a person who would actively refuse a domiciled MD program in their home country.

axiomofchoice
07-23-2011, 12:54 PM
This is amusing, especially because canadian schools are way cheaper.

People told me that they got into US/Canadian schools when I was on the island too. Its not an uncommon story.

Weddell
07-23-2011, 01:46 PM
One of the guys from May got a Canadian acceptance while on the island. He was on the plane home a week later.

axiomofchoice
07-23-2011, 02:37 PM
One of the guys from May got a Canadian acceptance while on the island. He was on the plane home a week later.

That sounds more accurate.

gx255
07-23-2011, 03:10 PM
You put 110% of your effort into your studying and comparisons don't matter anymore.

coolguy2
07-30-2011, 09:45 AM
You put 110% of your effort into your studying and comparisons don't matter anymore.

best advice so far...

sarcomere700
08-01-2011, 12:26 AM
at the end of the day it's all Caribbean! :crazy: so get a 240-250 on step 1 and then you snub your nose at the pompous american/canadian M(ajor)D(icks).

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.