PDA

View Full Version : SABA is a disgrace

dontknowyet
06-29-2011, 10:53 PM
I am a new admitted student to SABA for this coming Fall semester. However, I cant help but feel dismayed by what SABA does.

Firstly, I reveiced email about an online chat with SABA financial aid officer today from 7-8pm EST. However, after I logged in I found nobody!!! Has anyone chat with their financial officer today?

Then, SABA suddenly increased the tuition for fall term. But they dont even bother to let me know. I never received emails from SABA abt the tuition increase. And I was never aware of the increase of tuition before I was admitted. Disgrace.

Now most importantly, I am so upset with SABA from what I found. After thorough research on this forum, I found out from upperclass that out of 110 admitted students, only 40-45 will make it to the 5th semester on time!!! This is about 65% attrition. (you can use search and find yourself) I know Ross, which is infamous for its attrition rate, is trying to solve it by decreasing the newly admitted students from 650 to less then 400 per semester. And Ross is also trying to setup new clinical spots, such as Norwegian American Hospital in Chicago and St. ****** Mercy Hospital Oakland (SJMO) in Pontiac, MI. Thus the attrition will drop significantly if I am not wrong. Lets look at SABA, it has done nothing. I never heard any attempts to setup new clinial spots. So out of big 4, SABA is the school that weed out students (even good and hard working ones). And the strange part is, I dont find a lot of post on SABA forum complain abt this but plenty on ROSS forum bashing Ross.
Now I am so confused abt whether to attend SABA. Coz I know only 40% I can graduate. After investing at least 150K, I dont even stand 50% chance of getiing the MD. SAD!!!

I am contacting AUC now. Hopefully it is not too late for their fall term. Shame on you SABA. There will never be big 4, only big 3.

ladygaga123
06-29-2011, 11:05 PM
auc is awesome :)

Kewlwhip
06-30-2011, 05:57 PM
It's better to find this out now when you haven't started, than a semester or two in when your biochem prof decides that you are one of his 10 students who he uses to reach his goal... Yep, you heard it right, some (if not most) have a quota of students to fail; one I have confirmation on is Biochem where the prof has a goal of failing 10 students per semester. NOW, people are going to argue and twist that by saying it doesn't happen, but a student who leaves the island early, or drops the course and takes it the following semester b/c they are failing is no different than a student who goes all the way and gets a grade <75%. Then there is 4th term where you are ALMOST done and this past semester 15 of the ~55 students failed one of the courses (many were students who hadn't failed a course to that point.

Fact is, the new admin has one agenda... higher step scores than other schools and they will run over 65% of each class on their way their... It doesn't matter if you are a Chiropractor, RN, Pharmacist, PA, Lawyer, or student fresh out of undergrad, I know several examples of each that have not made it thru at that school, but were later successful elsewhere (U.S./Canada/Other Caribbean schools).

Go to AUC. If you are too late for Fall, take a semester off and start in January. It will be worth it. I personally know students who hated it at Saba (well, almost all of them hate it) and transferred to AUC and couldn't be happier.

All-in-all, I wish I would have chosen AUC over Saba and if I had to do over again would chose AUC 100 times out of 100.

But thats my opinion... that and $0.50 will get you a candy bar.

MDW
02-20-2012, 07:03 PM
It's better to find this out now when you haven't started, than a semester or two in when your biochem prof decides that you are one of his 10 students who he uses to reach his goal... Yep, you heard it right, some (if not most) have a quota of students to fail; one I have confirmation on is Biochem where the prof has a goal of failing 10 students per semester. NOW, people are going to argue and twist that by saying it doesn't happen, but a student who leaves the island early, or drops the course and takes it the following semester b/c they are failing is no different than a student who goes all the way and gets a grade <75%. Then there is 4th term where you are ALMOST done and this past semester 15 of the ~55 students failed one of the courses (many were students who hadn't failed a course to that point.

Fact is, the new admin has one agenda... higher step scores than other schools and they will run over 65% of each class on their way their... It doesn't matter if you are a Chiropractor, RN, Pharmacist, PA, Lawyer, or student fresh out of undergrad, I know several examples of each that have not made it thru at that school, but were later successful elsewhere (U.S./Canada/Other Caribbean schools).

Go to AUC. If you are too late for Fall, take a semester off and start in January. It will be worth it. I personally know students who hated it at Saba (well, almost all of them hate it) and transferred to AUC and couldn't be happier.

All-in-all, I wish I would have chosen AUC over Saba and if I had to do over again would chose AUC 100 times out of 100.

But thats my opinion... that and $0.50 will get you a candy bar.

I was going through this few semesters ago and it is soooo true... The biochem prof, was an *** hole that just want to screw people over... I didn't know about the quota, but I am not surprised at all. A professor that ask confused questions, and things that were never taught in class, you know there something wrong. In my class, everyone hated him!!!
we all know that Saba does not have clinical spots for everyone, 58 is the magic number. But even if you make through the end of 5 th semester, you will have to wait to get rotations spots, least 1 or 2 semester! I personaly know one of the students that just wrote USMLE step 1 and did very well, he has to wait until june to get his placed.
SABA is Sadist school.

axiomofchoice
02-20-2012, 09:35 PM
Bunch of whiners who can't cut it at a school with high standards...

axiomofchoice
02-20-2012, 09:39 PM
Does it ever occur to you that the bottom half of caribbean students are, in fact, idiots?

Wasn't one of these threads closed once already?

Intrepid1
02-20-2012, 10:07 PM
The current 5th semester class has 74 students. The only major attrition was in 1st semester when we went from 105 to 80. Since then some left us and some joined. Biochem prof who taught us is still the same one teaching today. Back then only 3 people failed. It's not as bad as people are making it out to be.

seattle
02-23-2012, 11:48 AM

But one can argue the other way around as well (which no one seems to very often) - which is what can we say about those individuals who come to the Caribbean to teach? Why Caribbean? Catch my drift....they also have flaws in their backgrounds and to some extent have frustrations in life and have an ax to grind. It's not out of the question - so not everything Kewlwhip has said should be written off as an "idiot" who couldn't make it. I have yet to see anyone who has blown away the competition in clinicals or residency that came from the stellar bootcamp that Saba portrays (as some have erroneously claimed). wink...wink :)

thxleave
02-23-2012, 12:29 PM
I don't know. Residency is going to get competitive in the future, maybe SABA is doing a favor in failing people and increasing course difficulty. Better to be failed with less then a 100k in debt, then to graduate and not be able to get a residency at over 200k in debt. There are a lot of unmatched US IMG candidates at the end of match. If Caribbean medical schools could make it so those that went unmatched were failed out during basic science, it is doing both the school and students a favor. Increase reputation, and save students money in the long run. People sometimes don't to hear that they have limitations that others don't, and tend to rationalize their failure and portray that viewpoint onto others. It doesn't mean they are inferior or not smart, just that they have different talents.

darkmansaad
03-27-2012, 06:09 PM
I've been away from this forum for a while but the people complaining about Saba being too tough have their heads in the sand. I direct you to the NRMP site for 2011 matched applicant stats. Quick ballpark stats you should know - for people applying for the match its about 50% IMGs and 50% AMGS. For people that match successfully its about 20-25% IMGs. Also this was the last year before the new med schools release their grads next year with residency spots staying static/going down due to hospital closures and budget cuts affecting programs. On top of that big programs that have prelim spots are eliminating them. I went to one, and used the prelim spot as a stepping stone to the next step and so have many others. I know of 2 other saba grads that used this programs prelim spot to match their #1 spots in orthopedic surgery and ER. However this program is now eliminating their prelim spots in about 2 years so there go a ton of potential for IMGs. This is happening all over the country, not a good time to be an international applicant and if your worried about barely making it through saba, I have concerns about your ability to get decent enough scores to match. You should too. Stop crying, please.

Evereadyclassic
04-21-2012, 08:39 AM
But one can argue the other way around as well (which no one seems to very often) - which is what can we say about those individuals who come to the Caribbean to teach? Why Caribbean? Catch my drift....they also have flaws in their backgrounds and to some extent have frustrations in life and have an ax to grind. It's not out of the question - so not everything Kewlwhip has said should be written off as an "idiot" who couldn't make it. I have yet to see anyone who has blown away the competition in clinicals or residency that came from the stellar bootcamp that Saba portrays (as some have erroneously claimed). wink...wink :)

I've seen a quite a few Saba students who blow away the competition. We honestly work harder than the Ross/MUA counterparts that I've worked with.

seattle
05-04-2012, 12:01 PM
I've seen a quite a few Saba students who blow away the competition. We honestly work harder than the Ross/MUA counterparts that I've worked with.

As I scan these forums, the main criticism I have is how loosely the issue of Saba students "blow away the competition" in clinicals is used. I have been associated with this particular school since the mid-1990s and over the past 18 years the school has developed an almost algorithmic strategy of how to filter the outgoing student population to those that will with high probability pass the Step 1 with high scores. That is a proven fact. So, yes we do have "capable" students out there in clinicals.

However, when we loosely throw this issue of "blow away the competition", to which sub-population are we comparing? (other Caribbean students and/or U.S. students)? If the argument is as a whole the majority of Saba students outperform other Caribbean programs in clinicals...well that is a bit more believable based on the selection criteria used to filter the outgoing population from the island. BUT, I can see how students from other extremely competitive schools such as SGU may have an issue with this general conclusion.

And I certainly, would not by and large extend this argument to compare with U.S. students. Remember, other than those that wish to obtain an extremely competitive residency program, the U.S. students are "viewed" on a different scale subliminally than the IMGs. It is never stated so outright, but it is a well known underpinning to the overall system. IMGs as you all know have to work much harder to "prove" themselves - something the U.S. student does not need to do excluding aforementioned exceptions and hence we do not have a "true" baseline measure against this subpopulation. In other words, there is a rather skewed "appearance" of over-performance on part of a Saba student in some cases compared to the U.S. students who do not need to prove themselves to the extent that you do. (I have received this feedback from numerous individuals in clinicals on private messages).

Similarly, we need to be careful in how shelf exam scores are being viewed. These scores can only be used accurately IF used to assess an individual's performance against those in your class and other Caribbean schools. What this exam does not measure accurately is IF used against the general U.S. student population because most U.S. school do not mandate this as a part of their student grade. Hence, U.S. med students use it more or less as a learning experince and not as a fear factor towards a grade - meaning who knows the effort that goes into the exam. So, if Saba admin is in fact using the shelf as a comparison against U.S. students, then I would caution the school in doing so since the predictor variables used in fitting a regression line is so skewed with large error variances that it truly renders the conclusions baseless to say the least.

Evereadyclassic
05-10-2012, 11:08 PM
As I scan these forums, the main criticism I have is how loosely the issue of Saba students "blow away the competition" in clinicals is used. I have been associated with this particular school since the mid-1990s and over the past 18 years the school has developed an almost algorithmic strategy of how to filter the outgoing student population to those that will with high probability pass the Step 1 with high scores. That is a proven fact. So, yes we do have "capable" students out there in clinicals.

However, when we loosely throw this issue of "blow away the competition", to which sub-population are we comparing? (other Caribbean students and/or U.S. students)? If the argument is as a whole the majority of Saba students outperform other Caribbean programs in clinicals...well that is a bit more believable based on the selection criteria used to filter the outgoing population from the island. BUT, I can see how students from other extremely competitive schools such as SGU may have an issue with this general conclusion.

And I certainly, would not by and large extend this argument to compare with U.S. students. Remember, other than those that wish to obtain an extremely competitive residency program, the U.S. students are "viewed" on a different scale subliminally than the IMGs. It is never stated so outright, but it is a well known underpinning to the overall system. IMGs as you all know have to work much harder to "prove" themselves - something the U.S. student does not need to do excluding aforementioned exceptions and hence we do not have a "true" baseline measure against this subpopulation. In other words, there is a rather skewed "appearance" of over-performance on part of a Saba student in some cases compared to the U.S. students who do not need to prove themselves to the extent that you do. (I have received this feedback from numerous individuals in clinicals on private messages).

Similarly, we need to be careful in how shelf exam scores are being viewed. These scores can only be used accurately IF used to assess an individual's performance against those in your class and other Caribbean schools. What this exam does not measure accurately is IF used against the general U.S. student population because most U.S. school do not mandate this as a part of their student grade. Hence, U.S. med students use it more or less as a learning experince and not as a fear factor towards a grade - meaning who knows the effort that goes into the exam. So, if Saba admin is in fact using the shelf as a comparison against U.S. students, then I would caution the school in doing so since the predictor variables used in fitting a regression line is so skewed with large error variances that it truly renders the conclusions baseless to say the least.

How are you associated with the school again? For 15 years? Why did you only join this forum in 2009?

Anyway, I don't know how to diplomatically tell someone they're full of shit.

One thing you're right about, American students are absolutely measured on a different scale. Its lucky for them. Because whenever I've rotated with them, I've completely outshone them. There is no such thing as "over-perform", everything is for the patient and the more you can do the better. Its no secret, the feedback from attendings is completely transparent, the hard work is appreciated. Showing up early, staying late, working hard, being humble and just generally being pleasant to be around and work with gets rave reviews and attracts attention.

Nobody cares about shelf scores. Nobody even talks about them. No one uses them to compare us to other students from Caribbean or US schools. Our USMLE scores are stellar...

So who are you? How are you "associated" with Saba? Why are you posting on our board?

seattle
05-11-2012, 01:17 PM
How are you associated with the school again? For 15 years? Why did you only join this forum in 2009?

I knew the original (one) of the individuals who was instrumental in beginning the medical school on Saba. This business plan went back as far as the late 1980s and came to fruition around 1993. I observed this forum and others for a long time prior to actually beginning to post in 2009 and soon thereafter was asked to serve as a moderator.

Anyway, I don't know how to diplomatically tell someone they're full of pooh pooh.

I am surprised that you got as far as you did in residency (assuming you are past clinicals) if you cannot apply some semblance of diplomacy. If you have not learned this by now, you might as well be told here - you will not always agree with others (at times you may be correct and at other times you may not)...but what you will need to get by in this world an especially in the field of medicine is a sense of diplomacy and constructive criticism. If that is lacking, it is not something to be proud of by stating how great you are on these forums. You will be brought down to reality very quickly by your seniors and it definitely does not go well with evaluations. Just a thought from someone who knows this game all to well over the years. Take it or leave it.

One thing you're right about, American students are absolutely measured on a different scale. Its lucky for them. Because whenever I've rotated with them, I've completely outshone them.

Lucky for them? You seem way over confident. If you are that good as you claim why go to the Caribbean in the first place? They never had to step foot on Caribbean soil for a reason. And yes, they are measured on a different scale FOR A REASON...wink, wink!

There is no such thing as "over-perform", everything is for the patient and the more you can do the better. Its no secret, the feedback from attendings is completely transparent, the hard work is appreciated. Showing up early, staying late, working hard, being humble and just generally being pleasant to be around and work with gets rave reviews and attracts attention.

Nobody cares about shelf scores. Nobody even talks about them. No one uses them to compare us to other students from Caribbean or US schools.

OK...but you have not added anything new in your previous comment that people do not know already.

Our USMLE scores are stellar...

NOT ALL! In general, with the filter in place Saba does create an outgoing pool that is well aligned to pass the Step 1 on the first attempt. Atlhough I would not extend that to say all individuals will do stellar on the Step 1. That is not the case and has never been.

Why are you posting on our board?

What aspect of the word "moderator" do you fail to understand? Who are you? You only have 26 posts since July, 2008 and NOW all of a sudden you are boasting this alleged claim to fame for the all too familiar "outshown the competition" comments that fills these Caribbean forums? If someone is that good...seriously why not have transferred to a U.S. school. Yes, spots are limited and it is very difficult to do so, but I have to ask...if the Step 1 score is that "stellar" (whatever that means)...would you not try to get into a U.S. school...at least try?

Evereadyclassic
05-11-2012, 01:38 PM
I knew the original (one) of the individuals who was instrumental in beginning the medical school on Saba. This business plan went back as far as the late 1980s and came to fruition around 1993. I observed this forum and others for a long time prior to actually beginning to post in 2009 and soon thereafter was asked to serve as a moderator.

I am surprised that you got as far as you did in residency (assuming you are past clinicals) if you cannot apply some semblance of diplomacy. If you have not learned this by now, you might as well be told here - you will not always agree with others (at times you may be correct and at other times you may not)...but what you will need to get by in this world an especially in the field of medicine is a sense of diplomacy and constructive criticism. If that is lacking, it is not something to be proud of by stating how great you are on these forums. You will be brought down to reality very quickly by your seniors and it definitely does not go well with evaluations. Just a thought from someone who knows this game all to well over the years. Take it or leave it.

Lucky for them? You seem way over confident. If you are that good as you claim why go to the Caribbean in the first place? They never had to step foot on Caribbean soil for a reason. And yes, they are measured on a different scale FOR A REASON...wink, wink!

OK...but you have not added anything new in your previous comment that people do not know already.

NOT ALL! In general, with the filter in place Saba does create an outgoing pool that is well aligned to pass the Step 1 on the first attempt. Atlhough I would not extend that to say all individuals will do stellar on the Step 1. That is not the case and has never been.

Because I am the Saba forum moderator. Who are you? you only have 26 posts and all of a sudden you are now boasting this claim to fame?

Your identity is confined to Saba forum moderator? Does more posts make you more believable? I was kind of busy... you know with being a med student. Apparently, whatever your lifestyle is, it doesn't confine you to much work other than to troll forums.

I would advise people to chose carefully who they take advice from. Anonymous "moderators", or actual graduates and students.

seattle
05-11-2012, 02:34 PM
Your identity is confined to Saba forum moderator? Does more posts make you more believable? I was kind of busy... you know with being a med student. Apparently, whatever your lifestyle is, it doesn't confine you to much work other than to troll forums.

I would advise people to chose carefully who they take advice from. Anonymous "moderators", or actual graduates and students.

Well, let me play Devil's advocate then...how does anyone know that you are not trolling these forums ? ;)

Since you admit yourself above that you do not know who I am, maybe I advise in your infinite wisdom that you take a few minutes first and at the least make some effort to read thru the 400+ posts I have maintained over the past 3 years that clearly give more than ample evidence of my attending Saba and beyond before you (with 26 posts) begin to advice others to be careful who to take advice from on these forums.

So, maybe I could also say the same thing back yes?...that prospectives or others should be wary of someone jumping into a forum after being "kind of busy" all these years (which is nothing above and beyond than anyone else in the history of medicine) and claiming to now "outshine" the competition including U.S. medical students. Just a thought.....

Evereadyclassic
05-11-2012, 02:42 PM
Well, let me play Devil's advocate then...how does anyone know that you are not trolling these forums ? ;)

I advice you at least attempt to read thru some of the 400+ posts I have maintained over the past 3 years that clearly give more than ample evidence of my attending Saba and beyond before you (with 26 posts) begin to advice others to be careful who to take advice from on these forums.

Let me know when you get to Harvard Mass General with the "stellar" Step 1 score.:p

Wow... again, who are you? other than someone with 400 posts? You're a moderator right? That's a very illustrious title... I'm sure you're proud.

I doubt I'll read through your other posts given the quality of the ones I've ready so far. I bet you attended and failed right out of Saba. My appologies, you must be very bitter.

Pinetrees
05-11-2012, 02:48 PM
Wow... again, who are you? other than someone with 400 posts? You're a moderator right? That's a very illustrious title... I'm sure you're proud.

I doubt I'll read through your other posts given the quality of the ones I've ready so far. I bet you attended and failed right out of Saba. My appologies, you must be very bitter.

Hahaha....looks like the Moderator really got to you! Somebody got their feathers ruffled today...you're that busy as a med student yet have the time to keep posting multiple times on here. LOL...go back to your amazing claim to fame and leave the forum alone. Or maybe you'll have time to reply again here....yeah you're really busy as a med student.

maladdy85
05-13-2012, 02:01 PM

IMO, Seattle's post are almost always, helpful, informative, and rational. Perhaps you should read them before prematurely bashing one of the better contributors to this site. There are so few posters here that offer worthwhile information to current/incoming/prospective students. Keeping this in mind, please take the time to thoroughly research before drawing the conclusion to slander someone who does not deserve it.

mazpowerz
06-22-2012, 10:28 PM
IMO, Seattle's post are almost always, helpful, informative, and rational. Perhaps you should read them before prematurely bashing one of the better contributors to this site. There are so few posters here that offer worthwhile information to current/incoming/prospective students. Keeping this in mind, please take the time to thoroughly research before drawing the conclusion to slander someone who does not deserve it.

Well played my friend....Did I ever mention I am your biggest fan :mrgreen::mrgreen:

MDW
06-19-2013, 02:49 PM

Hahaha high standards?? Saba?? What a joke!! I transfer to AUC and I have been in the deans list for 3 semesters, GPA 4.0 , tutoring Path and Pharm.
AUC is a real school, treat students with respect and have real professor from US that can actually speak English and they are awesome!!
Saba make any good student feel like shit!

don1
06-19-2013, 04:20 PM
hahahah I think there is some truth to this.

If the school only accepted people with MCAT >30 and GPA>3.8 then there is no excuse to high failure rate. But that is not the case.

Does it ever occur to you that the bottom half of caribbean students are, in fact, idiots?

Wasn't one of these threads closed once already?

wolfvgang22
08-16-2013, 03:21 PM
The current 5th semester class has 74 students. The only major attrition was in 1st semester when we went from 105 to 80. Since then some left us and some joined. Biochem prof who taught us is still the same one teaching today. Back then only 3 people failed. It's not as bad as people are making it out to be.
^This. Sounds like it hasn't changed a whole lot from when I was there. I graduated from Saba in 2009.

PS4
11-27-2013, 08:35 PM
Saba recently obtained US Title IV funding so wouldn’t they have to be careful with failing out such a large number of students in order to maintain access to these funds? It seems like the last thing the US department of education would want is to hand out graduate loans to students who will never be able to pay them back. That would just be a repeat of the whole mortgage crises from a few years back. It just does not add up. Please do enlighten me people I’m curious to know.

I am a new admitted student to SABA for this coming Fall semester. However, I cant help but feel dismayed by what SABA does.

Firstly, I reveiced email about an online chat with SABA financial aid officer today from 7-8pm EST. However, after I logged in I found nobody!!! Has anyone chat with their financial officer today?

Then, SABA suddenly increased the tuition for fall term. But they dont even bother to let me know. I never received emails from SABA abt the tuition increase. And I was never aware of the increase of tuition before I was admitted. Disgrace.

Now most importantly, I am so upset with SABA from what I found. After thorough research on this forum, I found out from upperclass that out of 110 admitted students, only 40-45 will make it to the 5th semester on time!!! This is about 65% attrition. (you can use search and find yourself) I know Ross, which is infamous for its attrition rate, is trying to solve it by decreasing the newly admitted students from 650 to less then 400 per semester. And Ross is also trying to setup new clinical spots, such as Norwegian American Hospital in Chicago and St. ****** Mercy Hospital Oakland (SJMO) in Pontiac, MI. Thus the attrition will drop significantly if I am not wrong. Lets look at SABA, it has done nothing. I never heard any attempts to setup new clinial spots. So out of big 4, SABA is the school that weed out students (even good and hard working ones). And the strange part is, I dont find a lot of post on SABA forum complain abt this but plenty on ROSS forum bashing Ross.
Now I am so confused abt whether to attend SABA. Coz I know only 40% I can graduate. After investing at least 150K, I dont even stand 50% chance of getiing the MD. SAD!!!

I am contacting AUC now. Hopefully it is not too late for their fall term. Shame on you SABA. There will never be big 4, only big 3.

darkmansaad
12-14-2013, 11:37 AM
^This. Sounds like it hasn't changed a whole lot from when I was there. I graduated from Saba in 2009.

I agree with wolf. Its pretty much how it was then for me too - I finished in Oct 2009 and graduated Jan 2010. All of the people who failed out of my class had issues dealing with stress, had other careers and had switched later in life or had extenuating circumstances. In either case I never thought it was because of issues being academically sound - they just weren't cut out for med school.

In short I will leave you with a quote:
"Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers"

guess when this was written and by who? Answer is Socrates, roughly 600-300 BC (!!!). Moral of the story: same stuff happened then as is happening now. You are not the first, you are not the last, life goes on. Its not a big deal. Work hard and keep it moving. I am a few months left from finishing residency and its been an uphill battle the entire way. I got myself in this mess, I'm getting myself out. I recommend you all do the same.

darkmansaad
12-14-2013, 11:40 AM
BTW I'm laughing my *** off reading the quote from golfman in my signature. I will NEVER CHANGE IT! You hear me moderators? NEVER CHANGE IT!

stargazer12
01-06-2014, 12:56 PM
I am interested in applying to SABA but the attrition numbers are worrisome. Does anyone have any recent accounts of students failing out because of a quota?

PS4
01-13-2015, 12:45 AM
Okay so I'm now a 4th semester at Saba. It has been little over a year since I responded to this post and I can agree the attrition rate is high. The 65-70% attrition rate sounds about right. Many of my fellow peers have either failed out or have remediated a semester. The administration operates in a very shady manner. I highly suggest students applying to the Big 4 to consider Saba as a last resort. The academics are sound but the university has been making life on the island tougher for students. For instance, we use to have access to these study rooms on campus and now the university closed them off. Study space on campus is extremely limited. You pretty much have to study in your room because the library is always packed and the only other area to study at is this nasty place called the dungeon. The dungeon is literally in the basement of the library and it always smells like mold. One other thing that just kills me is that our lectures are not recorded, attendance is mandatory, and the school blocks the extremely slow wifi off the whole day (except during lunch and after class). If you end up going to Saba I highly suggest you stay close with the friends you make because they are literally going to be the only thing keeping you from going crazy/losing it on this island.

wolfvgang22
01-13-2015, 07:25 PM
Okay so I'm now a 4th semester at Saba. It has been little over a year since I responded to this post and I can agree the attrition rate is high. The 65-70% attrition rate sounds about right. Many of my fellow peers have either failed out or have remediated a semester. The administration operates in a very shady manner. I highly suggest students applying to the Big 4 to consider Saba as a last resort. The academics are sound but the university has been making life on the island tougher for students. For instance, we use to have access to these study rooms on campus and now the university closed them off. Study space on campus is extremely limited. You pretty much have to study in your room because the library is always packed and the only other area to study at is this nasty place called the dungeon. The dungeon is literally in the basement of the library and it always smells like mold. One other thing that just kills me is that our lectures are not recorded, attendance is mandatory, and the school blocks the extremely slow wifi off the whole day (except during lunch and after class). If you end up going to Saba I highly suggest you stay close with the friends you make because they are literally going to be the only thing keeping you from going crazy/losing it on this island.
I'm amazed you've made it to fourth semester, you sound so pessimistic! I remember having days like that.
Anyway, hang in there, you are almost done! Now that I've been off the island for about 7 years, I'd like to visit as a tourist and remember the tough old days. It's worth it. :)

PS4
01-13-2015, 07:33 PM
I'm amazed you've made it to fourth semester, you sound so pessimistic! I remember having days like that.
Anyway, hang in there, you are almost done! Now that I've been off the island for about 7 years, I'd like to visit as a tourist and remember the tough old days. It's worth it. :)

Maybe Kenny can be ur tour guide lol

wolfvgang22
01-13-2015, 07:54 PM
Ha ha, I bought a car from Kenny back in the day. When it wouldn't stop going down the hill he put on some new brake pads free of charge. :)

PS4
01-13-2015, 11:11 PM
Ha ha, I bought a car from Kenny back in the day. When it wouldn't stop going down the hill he put on some new brake pads free of charge. :)

Thats hilarious. Honestly Kenny gets a bad rep for being over enthusiastic. Sure he starts and ends every other sentence with the F word but he is actually a pretty cool guy if you get to know him.

benevolo
01-21-2015, 12:06 AM
Damn haven't been on here in awhile. I love these old threads. Sounds like things are about the same. Queue the new group of students saying that the admin has changed and are now cracking down on students and failing them left right and centre! I'll definitely come back to visit with you guys some day. The most important question, is kenny out of jail now?

PS4
01-22-2015, 11:34 AM
Damn haven't been on here in awhile. I love these old threads. Sounds like things are about the same. Queue the new group of students saying that the admin has changed and are now cracking down on students and failing them left right and centre! I'll definitely come back to visit with you guys some day. The most important question, is kenny out of jail now?

Yes Kenny is out of jail but its funny because last semester some military personnel came looking for him but no one could find him. The moment they left the island Kenny was back racing down The Road and flexing at My Store. They should just make him the king of the island

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.