PDA

View Full Version : Green Book cores and electives states

ja23456
06-23-2011, 08:53 PM
Hello guys, so I understand that some states require all rotations (cores + electives) to be greenbook. These states are Texas, Pennsylvania, and I think California. i heard Nevada, but im not sure?

So are there any other states that have similar rules.

I know that the best thing to do is contact the Licensing Board of each state, but thatís just a lot of work and I have so much studying to do right now.

I wish AUC or someone would put a list up with all the state requirements because to contact all 50 states and request their state licensing requirements requires a lot of time for a student who doesn't have a lot of time. i pull my hair every time i think about electives and registering 6 months in advance only to find out its not green book and then to be dropped from a rotation without notice from anyone and this and that. i just had to vent.

so anyway, is there other states that require both cores and electives to be greenbook

Thanks in advance

ja23456
06-23-2011, 08:56 PM
also is there any states that accept only a certain amount of non-greenbook electives, such as 10 or 12 credits is acceptable, any more and we wont license you in our state.

Phur
06-23-2011, 09:58 PM
For starters, all of the cores offered through AUC are greenbook (minus one of the rotations at Kern I believe??) They won't let you do one that is not greenbook. Or at least I've never heard of anyone doing a non-greenbook core, and I don't know why anyone would.

Secondly, AUC requires 152 weeks for graduation- 80 weeks of basic science and 72 weeks of clinical rotations. The 80 weeks of basic science and 42 weeks of cores brings you to 122 weeks greenbook- bare minimum. The most stringent states require 130 weeks to be greenbook. So technically only 8 weeks of your electives need to be. However, MEAS suggests that you do no more that 2 or so non-greenbook (meaning 140-144 or so greenbook rotations) to give yourself a little bit of a buffer should some state change on a whim. This information is per multiple clinical advisers and clinical deans.

LinkMoto
07-17-2011, 12:07 PM
Just to clarify....if you do an elective rotation at a hospital where they offer core rotations, it's safe to assume it's greenbook, correct?

For example, if MEAS/OCSA mentions that you can do IM sub-specialties at a certain hospital that offers them, I'm assuming that most of them would be considered greenbook and safe to rotate in. At least, that's what the impression I got when asking.

gellerf
07-17-2011, 04:10 PM
I went to AUC and will be getting my Tx license this monday (approved at the last TMB meeting). All cores are greenbook. I dont think it is an issue at AUC, but make sure there is not a cover program. For instance, you cannot do a pediatrics rotation that is greenbook under an FP umbrella. That will not work.

For Tx, Neurology and FP are electives, but still have to be at places that has a residency. My neurology rotation was done at flushing where it was covered under the IM umbrella and I did it for 6 weeks (not 4 like the Tx requirment). Same goes for FP, but that was done in Wykoff where it has an FP residency (that somehow has a cornell name attached to it). Rest of my electives were done either under a medicine or a peds umbrella and that was fine for tx.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.