PDA

View Full Version : Attention New Vet Students

jfcap
06-02-2011, 07:37 PM
The AUA Ambassadors are a group students who are dedicated to making your transition to the island as easy as possible. We are there to greet you when you arrive in Antigua, and are available during registration and orientation to help you through the process. We are starting a new program, called The Buddy System.

Any new accepted student, who wishes to, can be paired up with a current Ambassador at AUA. We will do our absolute best to pair you up with a vet student Ambassador. This student will be there to answer your questions about what to bring to the island, where to shop and anything else you can think of.

We all currently live on the island, and attend AUA. We have been through the process of moving to a new country and are thrilled to be able to share our experiences with you. We encourage you to contact us as often as you would like before you arrive in Antigua, as well as while you are living in Antigua.

If you would like to be paired up with a student Ambassador, please email aua.ambassadors[at]gmail[dot]com.

As new college of medicine, veterinary and pre-med students will be emailing us, please let us know in your email what program you are entering into. Also, please include your name and email address. Feel free to contact us at the same email address with any other questions!

Best regards,

Jfcap
Vice President, AUA Ambassadors

VTECHvet2BE
06-09-2011, 11:02 AM
This is a very interesting article I found on the VTECH website, I felt I had to share it with all future AUA vet students.

October 2009
A New Opportunity
Dear Friends and Colleagues,
As I write this, I find it hard to believe October has already come and gone. It has been quite a busy and exciting month for us at the Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine! We have had a month full of activities and were so pleased to have many of you join us for these events.
Despite the dreary weather, I enjoyed my time with many of our Northern Virginia colleagues and friends at the Morven Park Steeplechase Races and then again at the 25th Anniversary of the Marion duPont Scott Equine Medical Center.
The support we receive from the Virginia and Maryland Veterinary Medical Association continues to impress me. We were happy to have so many from these organizations—many of them our own alumni—join us for our mentor/mentee breakfast and fall awards ceremony.
We were also honored to welcome close to 300 guests to our campus as we dedicated the Virginia Law Enforcement K-9 Memorial on October 16. That same weekend, our Veterinary Teaching Hospital also hosted its first Large Animal Practitioners Forum. Close to 30 of our referring veterinarians joined us for seminars related to the profession and to learn more about our hospital. I also traveled to our University of Maryland campus with Dr. Mark Crisman for the first of a series of continuing education seminars for Maryland and D.C. area practitioners.
As I have talked with many of you during these events, a prevailing topic of conversation has been the Memorandum of Agreement our college recently signed with the American University of Antigua, which opens the possibility of our college accepting transfer students from their newly formed School of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences.
While our college is very excited about this opportunity, it has become clear there is confusion on what exactly this partnership means. Therefore, I share the following information in an attempt to answer any questions and to clarify any misunderstandings:
• The VMRCVM routinely has four or more empty seats in its third and fourth years of the DVM program as a result of attrition. This is an economic challenge the college simply can’t afford, especially in light of recent state budget cuts. By opening up these seats to transfer students, who will pay out-of-state tuition, the college will generate additional, needed revenue.
• The American University of Antigua was established by a group of American physicians and medical education professionals to address the shortage of healthcare professionals in the U.S. The university currently offers medical and nursing programs designed to make sure students meet the requirements of medical and nursing licensure in the United States and achieve passing scores on the U.S. Medical Licensing Examinations. They recently indicated their intent to form a veterinary school where students would transfer to established veterinary colleges in the United States for their third and fourth years of training.
• The VMRCVM indicated it would be interested in partnering with AUA to fill the seats left open by attrition, pending we could be assured the first two years of instruction would mirror our own. After many talks and a good deal of research, it was agreed AUA would model their new veterinary college after the VMRCVM’s curriculum. We are confident this will not only provide quality instruction to students at AUA, but will ensure those who transfer here will have no gaps in their training.
• In addition, students will transfer into the VMRCVM’s fourth semester after four semesters of training at AUA. This will give the transfer students one additional semester of training compared to students who begin their training at the VMRCVM.
• Only students who successfully complete four semesters at AUA AND who pass the National Board of Medical Examiners Qualifying Examination will be eligible to transfer. We anticipate accepting an average of five students per year. We will not exceed seven students unless our attrition rate is above seven for that year.
• Unless accreditation issues preclude us from doing so, our intent is to confer upon the transfer students a degree from the Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine.
I hope this information clarifies our relationship with AUA. However, please do not hesitate to contact Christy Jackson, our college’s interim director of public relations and communications.
With kind regards,
Gerhardt G. Schurig, DVM, Ph.D.
Dean

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.