PDA

View Full Version : Racial discrimination against international students.

alert
06-02-2011, 03:00 AM
I am an international student and I have this concern:

I have read that there has been some attacks against international students studying in Australia. Is this a big problem?

Please comment on the 3 universities below as to how friendly it will be for an international student

1-James Cook University in Townsville Queensland
2-University of Western Sydney in Campbelltown New South Wales
3-University of Tasmania

Thanks so much

thekindofguy
06-02-2011, 05:09 AM
Better to stay at home in the safe arms of your parents. Australia can be a rough place!

jamie_nelson81
10-07-2011, 09:17 AM
Just noticed this post and realise it's from a while ago but thought I'd respond all the same.

On the whole I don't think overt racism is a big problem in Australia. There were a few incidents of Indians being attacked purely for being Indian down in Melbourne a year or two ago but I haven't heard of this continuing. I think most Australians are embarrassed by this kind of thing and on the whole it's a very multi-cultural and tolerant place.
I wouldn't let it dictate whether or not you go there.

RMS68
09-06-2012, 08:37 PM
thought australia was a friendly place for foreigners

Tomw2
11-07-2012, 06:58 PM
thought australia was a friendly place for foreigners

It is. In fact it has the lowest level of racially motivated violence compared to the US & UK. That is one of the main reasons there was so much publicity about those attacks on Indian students, because it was such a rare thing.

The overwhelming majority of Australians feel a sense of pride about foreign students choosing to study in their country and overall it is in their nature to be welcoming to those that make that choice.

Many people seem to be ignorant of the fact that Australia is an advanced first-world multicultural society.

dumbo123
12-06-2012, 04:02 AM
considering that australia is a multicultural society with loads of foreigners, i find it hard to believe that medical schools here will encourage racism

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.