PDA

View Full Version : Chiropractor to MD

stevedc
08-01-2004, 05:36 PM
Students in the carribean medical schools, do you see this combination in the student body often?

and what about age? after practicing for twenty years I am seriously thinking about going into the medical side from alternative medicine. I suspect caribean medical school may be a good option thinking my age may preclude me from getting into a US school

all responses appreciated but especially from other chiros

stevedc

FLK
08-01-2004, 06:25 PM
my roomate at the house I shared for my 3rd year ( at AUC ) was a DC, and about your age.
He's now doing FP

there were many DC's that I remember, 3 or 4 in my class alone.
They all did very well, and seemed to me to be a bit more mature and motivated than lots of the people that were fresh out of college

Just avoid any places that will promise you advanced standing for your Chiro basic science credits. These places are not legit, and you won't be able to get a medical license after you're done if you go that route

Scott1981
08-01-2004, 08:47 PM
i actually know of 3 DC's in the 1st semester class of around 80 at AUC. im sure there are even more than i actually know of. it is very common.

wolfvgang22
08-01-2004, 09:07 PM
I was wondering why DCs keep showing up at caribbean schools? There are a lot of them at all the caribbean schools. And they seem to do very well in med school.

Does being a DC just not pay enough? Or is stigma by some people against DCs annoying? Or is this joke true:

Q: What do you call someone who couldn't get into med school?

A: A chiropractor. (I"ve also heard "a dentist")

Just curious. A girl I dated in college (and was very fond of) married a *gasp*:shock: chiropractor!

Please don't any DCs take offense to this....after all, I'm going to caribbean because I screwed around too much in undergrad.

ed gee
08-01-2004, 09:57 PM
I wanted an unlimited license and more challenging cases. There are as many reasons as there are DCs seeking an MD or DO.

FLK
08-01-2004, 10:47 PM
I was wondering why DCs keep showing up at caribbean schools? There are a lot of them at all the caribbean schools. And they seem to do very well in med school.

Does being a DC just not pay enough? Or is stigma by some people against DCs annoying? Or is this joke true:

Q: What do you call someone who couldn't get into med school?

A: A chiropractor. (I"ve also heard "a dentist")

Just curious. A girl I dated in college (and was very fond of) married a *gasp*:shock: chiropractor!

Please don't any DCs take offense to this....after all, I'm going to caribbean because I screwed around too much in undergrad.

In talking to the guys that went down ther e, I heard lots of reasons.
My roomate was tired of the whole game......recruiting patients. Trying to sell them on "spinal hygeine" or whatever term he called it .
Spotting "microtrauma" on an X ray that nobody could see, but that nobody couldn't prove youdidn't see.
Worsening reimbursement, and the general idea that he wasn't a real doctor
** all of these statements were told to me. I am not making these statements, so DC's, please save the hate mail for somebody else **

anyway, for my roomate, what finally did it. I mean the straw that broke the camel's back and sent him to AUC was one day he was at a flea market and there were 2 DC's there doing free spinal exams, trying to get young healthy people into their office. He said he felt ashamed to be a part of the profession where people showed up at a flea market and hustled people with a free spinal exam, where every single patient they examined would have some flaw that absolutely needed chiropractic care.

I had a similar experience at my health club where last year, there was this guy with this contraption, having people stand there and measuring all of these angles. It looked odd to me. I didn't think humans were mirrir images, so to me I would imagine everybody has irregular angles, if you measure enough of them .
anway, I asked the girl at the front who swipes the membership card, when they were going to be offering prostate and breast exams, since they were obviously so interested in health screenings. She gave me a look like a dog makes when they hear a loud noise

in terms of $$, I think the average salary is much less, but I am sure you can find people making serious moolah-----probably the flea market guys are doing well.

azskeptic
08-02-2004, 08:27 AM
I have a friend in KC,where I've been on vacation, who is going to switch to some other field. He contends it is hard to make a living if you are legit and only treat things that need to be treated. You read the DC journals and you see all kinds of offers of 'programs' to teach yo how to market. It is tough when you have to market healthcare....

there are some great MD's to be coming into the carib. schools from chiropractic backgrounds. a most interesting thing happening. and it is never too late to change one's career.

az skeptic

stevedc
08-02-2004, 07:56 PM
Iv'e been fortunate enough to work along with MD's and PA's in a federally qualified health center. but when the local hospital took it over the ortho there had predjudice against chiropractors. he claimed it revolved around oversight but I know of other health centers in this hospitals umbrella that have chiros also, Surprising to see how only one ortho ruined the whole thing. I had tremendous support from the rest of the medical commuinty in this clinic even the chief of staff but no one could change the orthos mind.

so after working with the mainstream medical community I came to the conclusion that I actually liked that better than private practice.

otherwise I see great t things done with chiropractic without surgery or medicine. and yes it is competative and we do get lower reimbursements but are held to all the standards of running a primary portal of entry health care facility.

stevedc

azskeptic
08-03-2004, 10:20 AM
Well, I begin this conversation with this:

I don't personally think chiropractic is the
problem...the problem is consumers who will hold
crystals, howl at the moon, or have their backs popped
thinking it does something.

But as a thinking person I am interested in what
happens to chiropractors who realize that they are
limited as to what they can do with their present
education and limited scope of practice.

it must be frustrating to enter a profession and find
out that people are having to setup booths at street
fairs,in malls, healthclubs, and utilize telemarketing
services to get clients to help.

It must be frustrating to be in a profession that is
looked down upon by many and not allowed to work in
normal places where people look for health care.i.e.
hospitals,emergency rooms. There are a few folks who
do get to do some work there but on a limited scope.

It is must be frustrating to find your service getting
paid less than all others....nurses get paid more than
young graduates can make.

There are more and more chiropractors going back to
school to become MD's and DO's. You can see some of
this by visiting this forum or a website I set up
at:

http://www.chiropractormds.homestead.com/index.html

It is tough to see nice people hurt. Because the
bottom line of all of this is that chiropractors are
human beings....sometimes our list loses sight that we
are talking about human problems here ......everyone in life must face the truth of
their decisions indeed but sometimes we make mistakes
in our profession choices. And sometimes we decide we want to make a difference in this world and take the big plunge and do what it takes to get in that position. I applaud the DC's I've met who are doing that..it takes guts to make a major philosophical switch in treatment methods.

az skeptic

DC, MD
09-21-2004, 03:19 PM
As a DC for 18 years my reasons for returning to school and getting my MD are several fold.... I will be starting St Matts Jan 05
1. Increase scope of practice to better serve my patients
2. Put 12 years of education 4 undergrad 4 DC 4 MD! to work on a more challanging cases
3. Become a lasion between the professions
4. Open doors that are closed as a DC
5. Enjoy better compensation
6. Enjoy a better public image
7. Enjoy better medical cooperation on cases
I have personally and professionally enjoyed chiropractic and the results I have gotten with my patients, but there is more health care then Spinal Manipulation and Physiotherapy...

azskeptic
09-21-2004, 03:56 PM
As a DC for 18 years my reasons for returning to school and getting my MD are several fold.... I will be starting St Matts Jan 05
2. Put 12 years of education 4 undergrad 4 DC 4 MD! to work on a more challanging cases
3. Become a liasion between the professions
I have personally and professionally enjoyed chiropractic and the results I have gotten with my patients, but there is more health care then Spinal Manipulation and Physiotherapy...

You are an excellent candidate and St. Matts will be good..let's hope that the repairs go quick so that they can settle back down. One of the Saba Grads, Dr. Scott Jones,also a DC for about 15 years, is now in a residency at Mayos in Scottsdale and doing great. Nice to meet you, Az SKPETIC

justdoit
09-22-2004, 10:21 AM
You are right! It's a shame that chiropractors and podiatrist have to attend a four year post grad institution with the same outrageous tuition bills as the allopathic schools. They make much less than their counter parts, but still have to pay back the same amount of loans. That's so unfair. :roll: No way ho-zay!

justdoit
09-22-2004, 10:29 AM
You are right! It's a shame that chiropractors and podiatrist have to attend a four year post grad institution with the same outrageous tuition bills as the allopathic schools. They make much less than their counter parts, but still have to pay back the same amount of loans. That's so unfair. :roll: No way ho-zay!

Whoops! Didn't mean to repost.... Geezz I guess you can't delete it.

FLK
09-22-2004, 01:41 PM

if I wanted to attend Life University, could I just go straight to clinicals or would my AUC anatomy and histology, etc qualify for transfer credits?

justdoit
09-22-2004, 02:30 PM
if I wanted to attend Life University, could I just go straight to clinicals or would my AUC anatomy and histology, etc qualify for transfer credits?

Actually if it's the one I'm thinking of......"the University of Life" doesn't require credit transfers, classes, or clinicals for that matter.
Free of charge, the class of hard knocks, the road less traveled.

But what's not free of charge....a plastic surgeon....I'd get that checked out if I were you FLK. :)

azskeptic
09-22-2004, 02:36 PM
actually Life is still functioning though it almost lost its ability to license.

here are their requirements for transfers: anyone thinking of transferring should consider psychotherapy first.

http://www.life.edu/newlife/admissions/coc_admissions.html#transfer

khiro
05-18-2010, 11:40 AM
3. Become a lasion between the professions

i know that this is old but i just had to revive it. DC, MD went to texas chiro college at the same time i did, only a year behind me. he practiced chiro in florida and then decided to go to st matts, starting there in january 2005. i haven't spoken with him since early 2005 after his first semester, but after checking yesterday it appears that my friend will be starting family practice residency this year. a lot of sacrifice for him and his family i am sure. man, i just love success, even more so when its someone elses. :clapover:

rabbitgti20
08-20-2010, 08:06 AM
Anybody else wants to share their journey from DC (chiro) to MD or DO?

CARICOM-MED
08-21-2010, 01:50 PM
Good idea, and powerful combination especially if you pursue PM&R, Neurology or Orthopedic Surgery :)

I've met several DCs that went back to medical schools, and are now Neurologists, Physiatrists and Orthopedic Surgeons, and are really good at what they do...

Good luck !!!

polmed90
09-18-2010, 07:46 PM
Students in the carribean medical schools, do you see this combination in the student body often?

and what about age? after practicing for twenty years I am seriously thinking about going into the medical side from alternative medicine. I suspect caribean medical school may be a good option thinking my age may preclude me from getting into a US school

all responses appreciated but especially from other chiros

stevedc

Chiropractor to MD?

Keep dreamin', buddy.

CARICOM-MED
09-18-2010, 11:47 PM
There were 3 DCs in my class that graduated with an MD, and are now practicing as FM, and IM...if there is a will there is a way !!!

Chiropractor to MD?

Keep dreamin', buddy.

CancerDoc
09-28-2010, 06:40 AM
It seems that if one truly wants to be a physician, they should pursue their goal. The education received in chiropractic school can certainly be used in conjunction with the medical education. Oceania University of Medicine has a number of students who are practicing healthcare providers.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.