PDA

View Full Version : Parker College Has a New Name

AgActual
05-14-2011, 03:57 PM
Probably not the most important thing going on in the world of chiropractic right now but probably just good to know. Parker College of Chiropractic is now Parker University. With the change in status, Parker can add new programs and receive research grants.

All around exciting stuff 17220

thebonecrusher10
05-27-2011, 12:32 AM
I think you're going to see much more of this in the future. The days of a chiropractic only schools are over. Our profession is dying and schools with exclusive names have to be changed to something more encompassing. You'll probably start seeing Parker University add a RT program, DO program, ND program, and a bunch of other stuff.

AgActual
05-27-2011, 11:14 PM
I think you're going to see much more of this in the future. The days of a chiropractic only schools are over. Our profession is dying and schools with exclusive names have to be changed to something more encompassing. You'll probably start seeing Parker University add a RT program, DO program, ND program, and a bunch of other stuff.

DO? I don't see that happening. Although if they made a traditional DO program, like you find in the rest of the world, that would be extremely interesting.

thebonecrusher10
05-27-2011, 11:53 PM
A DO program at Parker is unlikely. But also, DO programs are popping up EVERYwhere. In fact, it's said to be at a "crisis level" (not my words). So while unlikely, it's possible. You'll definitely see more chiropractic schools dropping that name and switching to something more inclusive rather than exclusive (National, Western, Parker). Palmer and Life will resist the change the longest Im sure.

CARICOM-MED
06-03-2011, 12:39 PM
RE: Mixed Chiropractic Colleges now offering other credentials and degrees ! (DPT/PA/DO/MD)

Would be great for DC colleges if they expand to offer a DO degree or at least offer PA/DO/MD options.

some DPM programs are now offering DPM,DO to help DPMs expand scope.....at least to the ones that want scope expansion, I doubt "Straight" schools like Cleveland, Palmer, Life or Sherman would pursue such programs.

I was reading somewhere that NUHS is starting a PA program in 2015 ??? I know (BU) Bridgeport U, is offering DC, ND and PA program as well, perhaps a DO program is in the works ??

Other schools like D'Youville college offer DC and DPT as well as PA programs, so additional DO/MD would make sense !

AgActual
06-03-2011, 06:04 PM
I was reading somewhere that NUHS is starting a PA program in 2015 ???I could ask my adviser when i sign up for classes next semester. He is the dean of the basic sciences department. Surely he would know something about it.

I doubt "Straight" schools like Cleveland, Palmer, Life or Sherman would pursue such programs.Well I doubt they would offer things like DPT or DO but Palmer and Life do offer other programs. You can get a BA in business from Life. Strange concept, right? And I would also like to point out that Cleavland seems to be moving away from the straight philosophy, as of late. I think with their recent finical hardship, they have seen the light. So I don't know if we want to lump them in with Sherman and Life anymore. Still straighter than some but probably closer to Logan or Northwestern now.

thebonecrusher10
06-03-2011, 09:09 PM
Honestly I would like to see a couple of schools close their doors. And not because of reasons you might suspect. But I think once a few fall down with predominantly "straight" programs, maybe then, just then, administrators and students who think the world is rosey outside their classrooms will realize we MUST change.

I have heard Palmer is in trouble as well. I know their endowment is a joke. But Im not sure how the rest of their finances are. When I was about in 8th trimester, the faculty's union was on strike at the college and they were constantly arguing that there was like 1 administrator for every 1 faculty member. And the administrators are the ones who made bank. Maybe they sucked the life out of Palmer- who knows?

AgActual
06-03-2011, 11:54 PM
I think that becoming all about making money was what doomed Life University. From what I read, towards the end of their nonsense in the late 90's, Sid Williams and numerous high ranking administration members were making over a million dollars per year. That is at least one reason why they were going insane with their recruiting. They once had several thousand students. That is a lot of money rolling in but an entire generation of poorly trained chiros. Fortunately, that whole system collapsed and now Life is just a shell of its former self. It is an insane story to read and it all happened because the people running that place cared more about getting rich than helping their students and the patients that eventually came to them for help.

I think a few of these schools could be heading down the same road and they would be wise to look at what happened to Life, and change their ways.

Honestly I would like to see a couple of schools close their doors. And not because of reasons you might suspect. But I think once a few fall down with predominantly "straight" programs, maybe then, just then, administrators and students who think the world is rosey outside their classrooms will realize we MUST change.

I have heard Palmer is in trouble as well. I know their endowment is a joke. But Im not sure how the rest of their finances are. When I was about in 8th trimester, the faculty's union was on strike at the college and they were constantly arguing that there was like 1 administrator for every 1 faculty member. And the administrators are the ones who made bank. Maybe they sucked the life out of Palmer- who knows?

khiro
06-06-2011, 10:04 AM
reading the history of sid and what he accomplished is incredible. it could never happen again; he was spot on with the times and had enormous clout with ga politics. we learn from both the good and bad. we learn from a bad girlfriend what a good one should be. same way with employers, and people in general. we had about 10 in my class at TCC transfer to life around 1983. to my knowledge all of them passed life with no problems to speak of. not only that, they did well enough on the national boards and eventually state board exams to be licensed. what i was told was that the students spent classroom time going over national board questions inorder to keep them in school. sid knew where his money came from. like most mds, big industry, or just the regular welfare chick in chicago. and the answer is...the federal gov't. Huge school loans paid to life during sid's administration. it was all about the money. did you ever hear about his "money chant"?

I think that becoming all about making money was what doomed Life University. From what I read, towards the end of their nonsense in the late 90's, Sid Williams and numerous high ranking administration members were making over a million dollars per year. That is at least one reason why they were going insane with their recruiting. They once had several thousand students. That is a lot of money rolling in but an entire generation of poorly trained chiros. Fortunately, that whole system collapsed and now Life is just a shell of its former self. It is an insane story to read and it all happened because the people running that place cared more about getting rich than helping their students and the patients that eventually came to them for help.

I think a few of these schools could be heading down the same road and they would be wise to look at what happened to Life, and change their ways.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.