PDA

View Full Version : London Rotations

AUCaribbean
05-10-2011, 08:37 AM
Does anyone have any info about the rotations in the UK???

slevit1MD
05-10-2011, 03:39 PM
I did peds in the UK in Romford, and I'd highly recommend the experience. Romford is a new hospital with brand new nice housing within walking distance. It's also only about a 20 minute train ride into London. Hours are very easy and there is plenty of time to travel (I toured the UK and went to Rome, Amsterdam, Paris, and Madrid in my 6 weeks).

canuckdoc
05-12-2011, 09:50 AM
I did all of my core rotations at Ealing Hospital in West London. Overall an amazing experience--housing on site, good experiences in the hospital, easy access to travel and central London. Psyche rotation wasn't great when I did it (Spring 2010) but I gather it has improved. You have to be a self starter and find your learning opportunities. They are not spoon fed and formal teaching sessions like in the US. Depending on what you want to do for residency and where, you may not want to do all your cores in the UK, but the experience was wonderful, and there was a stipend available from the school to cover some of the costs. It is a great opportunity. The hours are considerably less onerous than in the US.

AUCMD2012
05-12-2011, 11:21 AM
No reason in particular...

Slaol
05-12-2011, 05:00 PM
Rotations in Blackburn are generally very good. There are very few students here, and you are paired up personally with a Consultant (Attending). If you don't want to do surgery, I would recommend going to England for it. There is no scutwork, great hours, and the Doctors actually want to teach you.

The only downside is that you are in Blackburn.

Medical Moose
05-12-2011, 05:25 PM
I didn't care for the teaching in the UK. I always felt like I was in the way and wasn't usually allowed to do much. The British medical students are absolutely W-O-R-T-H-L-E-S-S. There are few good ones, but the majority are lazy and make excuses to get out of stuff, that is if they even show up. An American student can just show up everyday, and not even know that much about medical science, and still get an excellent grade for "trying". Show up everyday and you're guaranteed honors. I'm extremely glad I didn't do ALL of my rotations in the UK.

On the other hand, being in the UK is fun. The people are very nice. Excellent experience and in the end it's worth it I suppose. I also had a lot more time to study because the hours are stupid easy.

There are pros and cons. Honestly, I'd recommend going for ONE rotation, just for the experience. That way you learn about the NHS and enjoy the UK.

Slaol
05-13-2011, 07:42 AM
Another beneficial aspect of doing rotations in England is the opportunity to witness first-hand what happens when you take medical decision-making away from doctors and give it to government bureaucrats. Talking to Doctors and Surgeons here about how arbitrary targets and quotas affect medical delivery/quality of care is quite enlightening.

AUCMD2012
05-15-2011, 01:03 PM
No reason in particular...

sashy
06-05-2011, 10:11 PM
AUC has a helpful "guide" about the UK sites that you can get by emailing the clinical affairs office. It is called the "UK Information Packet", and lists information about the different hospitals in the UK, as well as information about obtaining a visa. I emailed the clinicals office when I was considering the UK and found this information pretty helpful, but rather basic. I tried to upload it here to the message, but I wasn't able to get it to attach. If you can't get the information from the clinicals office, message me and I can email it to you.

sandyjay
07-24-2011, 01:01 PM
I did all of my core rotations at Ealing Hospital in West London. Overall an amazing experience--housing on site, good experiences in the hospital, easy access to travel and central London. Psyche rotation wasn't great when I did it (Spring 2010) but I gather it has improved. You have to be a self starter and find your learning opportunities. They are not spoon fed and formal teaching sessions like in the US. Depending on what you want to do for residency and where, you may not want to do all your cores in the UK, but the experience was wonderful, and there was a stipend available from the school to cover some of the costs. It is a great opportunity. The hours are considerably less onerous than in the US.
Could you please tell me what Deanery or University AUC was affiliated with that handled your rotations. Are you hoping to do Residency ( Foundation program ) in the US/ Canada or UK? Thank you for an early answer.

sandyjay
07-24-2011, 01:06 PM
Rotations in Blackburn are generally very good. There are very few students here, and you are paired up personally with a Consultant (Attending). If you don't want to do surgery, I would recommend going to England for it. There is no scutwork, great hours, and the Doctors actually want to teach you.

The only downside is that you are in Blackburn.

Can you please tell me if AUC is affiliated with the University of Manchester or was it directly affiliated to the post graduate Deanery or directly affiliated with the Blackburn hospital trust in making arrangements for rotations in the UK
Thanks
I know you are very busy these days as you are getting ready to move back to the US I would greatly appreciate an early reply.

Slaol
07-25-2011, 08:21 AM
Can you please tell me if AUC is affiliated with the University of Manchester or was it directly affiliated to the post graduate Deanery or directly affiliated with the Blackburn hospital trust in making arrangements for rotations in the UK
Thanks
I know you are very busy these days as you are getting ready to move back to the US I would greatly appreciate an early reply.

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure of the specifics of the arrangement.

I do know that AUC has no direct affiliation with the University of Manchester, or any associated UK University program. The education program here is organized by the Department of Undergraduate Education at UCLAN -- website: Home - Department of Undergraduate Education at East Lancashire Hospitals | DUE East Lancashire | NHS student programme Lancashire | Lancashire NHS teaching | Primary care teaching | secondary care teaching. (http://www.eastlancsdue.nhs.uk/) . While we have contact with students from the University of Manchester, and St. Andrews, we are completely separate from them.

I think the affiliation with Blackburn and the East Lancashire Hospital Trust are via arrangements made with the office in Kingston. All the AUC students in Blackburn are sponsored by Dr. M, the AUC Clinical Dean for Europe/UK in Kingston, and all the paperwork filled out by Blackburn consultants is sent directly to Ms. HB in Kingston. The individual doctors on-site in Blackburn receive no payment for their work with us, but the Hospital receives some sort of payment for each student they take on.

Hope this helps.

sandyjay
07-26-2011, 08:44 PM
To be honest, I'm not 100% sure of the specifics of the arrangement.

I do know that AUC has no direct affiliation with the University of Manchester, or any associated UK University program. The education program here is organized by the Department of Undergraduate Education at UCLAN -- website: Home - Department of Undergraduate Education at East Lancashire Hospitals | DUE East Lancashire | NHS student programme Lancashire | Lancashire NHS teaching | Primary care teaching | secondary care teaching. (http://www.eastlancsdue.nhs.uk/) . While we have contact with students from the University of Manchester, and St. Andrews, we are completely separate from them.

I think the affiliation with Blackburn and the East Lancashire Hospital Trust are via arrangements made with the office in Kingston. All the AUC students in Blackburn are sponsored by Dr. M, the AUC Clinical Dean for Europe/UK in Kingston, and all the paperwork filled out by Blackburn consultants is sent directly to Ms. HB in Kingston. The individual doctors on-site in Blackburn receive no payment for their work with us, but the Hospital receives some sort of payment for each student they take on.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for all the info you have given . As usual your posts are always informative and rational and are extremely useful to me . Thank you for taking the time to reply when i am well aware that you are very busy with your move back to the US May you be successful in all your endeavors. Good luck in the US and in the Match

AUCMD2012
07-27-2011, 11:23 AM
Good bye, London. It's been fun...

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.