PDA

View Full Version : Accommodation in Pecs

Snapsnap
05-06-2011, 03:57 AM
Hey there,

I am starting Medicine in Pecs this September & was wondering if any was A) starting there too & B) know how to go about accommodation - In Hungary, do the universities have halls of residence or do students seem to rent privately ?

Cheers for any help guys :)

african_child
05-06-2011, 11:17 PM
Hi,
I'm NOT a student at Pécs and thus probably not the best suited to answer your questions as regards that school and town. However, price of accommodation for international students are somewhat similar within the major towns (except Budapest, which is the MOST expensive!). You can have an idea of the cost of renting apartments in Pécs from this website studentservice.hu. Contact them. I have gone through some of the apartments offered on the website and believe me, the costs are similar to those in Debrecen but seems like Pécs have more aesthetics ones.
Be aware that the main factors that determine the cost of an apartment are a) proximity to school/campus b)modernity and c) utilities (eg central or individual heating.)
For the second part of your message, yes HU schools do have halls of residence for students! (Duh!) But it's on a first come, first served basis. So if you plan on staying in the hostels, better pay in advance!
Most international students stay in the hostel during their 1st year and later on rent an apartment as they get to know the city better.
On a lighter note, and I'm sure I probably said this before, did you know your username is a Hungarian word? LOL.
Anyway, I hope that this information also helps other prospective students.
Good luck!

Snapsnap
05-18-2011, 03:48 AM
Thanks for your reply. I've since been in touch with the uni & I think private accommodation is the way to go. In the student halls you need to share rooms.

Cheers

oliverniv
05-19-2011, 03:03 AM
hello.

i also start med school in pecs in september. i have been there twice the last 6 months. great place!

finding an apartment is easy and relatively cheap. i am moving down a few weeks before term starts to organise a place to stay.

oliver
olly__ @hot

Snapsnap
05-19-2011, 03:51 AM
Wow, lucky you getting to go there first. I have yet to book flights over the check the place out .. although I've already been accepted so I'm going either way .. haha. I read in other posts you said it was a very student town ? I was really for that... the other schools seemed more a little college in a big town. Apartmentwise ... I spoke to the student centre people and they said the best way was to look at the student housing webpage ... and also you need to physically be there to organise apartments ?? Where you coming from actually ?

Arcade
05-29-2011, 02:23 PM
Hi Var,

I'm starting Medicine in Pécs in Sept as well. I haven't started organising accommodation yet, but I'll be visiting the place in July to sort it out. From what I've heard Pécs is a really nice place.

Did you sit the entrance exam in Dublin this year?

Snapsnap
05-30-2011, 06:10 AM
Hey there, I'm heading out in July too to try find a place. Hopefully I'll be able to find one in just a few days!! I didnt have to sit the entrance exam as I'm a graduate. Did you sit it in Dublin? Are you from Ireland?

Arcade
05-30-2011, 07:33 AM
Yeah I sat the exam back on the 21st. I'm from Ireland too! Can I ask why you choose Pécs over the other universities?

Snapsnap
05-30-2011, 08:40 AM
Have you been accepted then?! I chose Pecs because it was recommended to me by Prof. Hill of the RCSI. Also, its a university town with a large number of international students & the hospitals that the university use, apparently have the best facilities in the country. How about you ? Btw, you a LC student?

Arcade
05-30-2011, 09:30 AM
Yeah I've been accepted. I haven't heard back from the other two universities yet but I know someone who's studying vet in Semmelweis and they said Pécs was a good choice. Yup I'm in LC. I have a feeling a lot of the 1st year med students will be graduates. Are you going to get your books in Hungary or buy them in Ireland?

Snapsnap
05-30-2011, 10:52 AM
I've heard only good things about Pecs so hopefully it lives up to expectations. There will be a good mix of all ages I reckon... fair play to ya deciding to go out there, so many LC students are home birds. I'm not sure about books, my friend just graduated from medicine so I'm onto Pecs about a books list so I get it. My mum mentioned that the german students have a system where they buy the books in bulk & get them really cheap, but they havnt set that up for the english programme as of yet. What were you thinking of doing?

Arcade
05-30-2011, 12:56 PM
The professor who was interviewing the med applicants in Dublin was from Pécs. Maybe he was having a bad day, but he wasn't the most friendly. Some of the other applicants complained about him because he was so intimidating. He really made you feel like you were wasting his time. Hopefully he's not normally like that. I look forward to having him as a professor! I suppose I'll get the books over there instead of having to bring them all the way over to Hungary. I'd love to try and set up a bulk buy with the rest of the Irish students but I haven't met anyone else who's starting med in Sept. Did you apply through Tim O'Leary?

Snapsnap
05-31-2011, 07:13 AM
Ha really ? I'd say there will be a few interesting characters out there alright. What did they even ask you in the interview? I'm glad I bypassed all that crap! I didn't apply through Tim no, I just did it myself & contacted the university. Was pretty easy. Just waiting for more info since I paid my deposit. Were there many sitting the entrance exam in Dub?

Arcade
05-31-2011, 08:55 AM
My interview was fairly short, I was asked about covalent bonds, water and solubility, what happens to cyclohexane when you take away 6 hydrogens so then I had to talk about what I knew about benzene, then he asked me about the structure of protein and it's uses and then he asked about the mitochondrion. He didn't even ask why I wanted to study medicine! There were about maybe 10ish people for med, at least 20 for vet and one for dentistry. It's a bit crazy though, only one person was accepted from the med apps and loads were accepted for vet. I wish I could have bypassed the exam and interview!! Do you know what field of med you want to go into?

Snapsnap
05-31-2011, 09:05 AM
So you were the only one accepted?? Thank god I missed all that process, after 5 years I remember nada. Does Pecs do vet too ? I'm interested in neuro, hence why I did neuroscience. I'm also thinking paeds. After being in hosptials the past 7 years shadowing etc I've narrowed down what I do and dont like already. You?

Arcade
05-31-2011, 09:26 AM
Pécs doesn't do vet, I think Semmelweis is the only one. That's so cool you have a neuroscience degree! It's def an interesting field, peds too. I don't have anywhere near as much experience as you but I've narrowed it down as far as surgery, maybe ortho. For now though I'm just happy to have a place in medical school. Did you always want to become Doctor?

Snapsnap
06-01-2011, 03:23 AM
Yep, since I was real young. Dads a surgeon, mum was a nurse. I just didnt get in after the LC as I applied to the UK so thought having a degree might make it easier. Did it hell !! Such a nightmare. Now I'm like, I could have started this in Hungary straight after the LC & be nearly finished at this stage!!

Arcade
06-01-2011, 04:45 PM
ha but at least you've got tonnes of experience and that's important! I didn't get med last year and I can barely stand the one years wait of getting into med. The fact that you choose to do med now instead of just becoming complacent and getting a job with your degree says a lot about your determination. At least you know no matter how hard the next few years will be, you're determination will get you through it. Btw I just got accepted by Semmelweis and am considering it because it's so accessible and there's a big irish community out. Why exactly did that Prof say to go to Pécs instead of anywhere else?

Snapsnap
06-02-2011, 03:04 AM
From what I've heard there is little difference in the teaching between any of the Hungary colleges. I know from speaking to people that the facilities available to Pecs are considered the most advanced with people from all over Europe coming for treatment. The fact that Prof. Hill recommended it personally & not any of the other colleges makes me sway towards Pecs slightly more. He could have just said go to Hungary. But I mean its all the same. Personally the deal breaker for me is that Pecs is a large university with 15 faculties, so more like I'm used to. The other colleges seem more like RCSI & after studying in Glasgow uni for 4 years, I want to be in a larger university. The downside is its distance from Budapest but I'm sure I'll get past that. Its totally up to you at this stage where you want to go, you need to weigh the pros and cons of both unis & hopefully you will work it out :)

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.