PDA

View Full Version : Letters of Recommendation

MDhopeful6
04-25-2011, 12:41 PM
Hi, on the website it says that Saba requires 2 letters of reference from professors or physicians who have supervised applicants in a medically relevant setting. I don't really have any referees who fit this description that I am comfortable asking. I do not know my science profs well because the classes I took were all huge (200 - 300+ students). I have some arts profs who I have gotten to know much better and who would be able to give me great references. Also, I have worked with children with autism under the supervision of speech language pathologists in clinical settings and would be comfortable asking them for references. I asked admissions if these referees would be OK and they told me they would consider them and let me know if they would work, however nothing sounds very certain. At this point I submitted 2 references from arts profs and 2 from my experiences working with children with autism (these are not from physicians though). I am just wondering if any one has ever got in with references from professors that did not supervise in a medically relevant capacity?

Molecule of Life
04-25-2011, 02:14 PM
I too am interested in this- how strict is the admissions in this respect? If they are truly looking for the overall qualities that forge the whole individual as they purport to, then aren't they being restrictive and biased by demanding a certain type of reference? By imposing such demands are they just trying to satisfy an agenda to resemble better the domestic schools of the USA?

Weddell
04-25-2011, 04:36 PM
I only had one letter from a physician - the others were either from science professors but not really medically relevant, or medically relevant but not from science professors/physicians. I really doubt that this would make or break your application - it's much better to have a letter from an arts prof that sings praise than a "Uh, I think they were in my class, and got a, 90, so, uh, I guess they're not too bad" from a science prof. And with 4 good letters, it's probably quite clear that you've actually put in some work, know what you're doing, and will be comfortable with what you're getting yourself into.

I could be wrong, but I think what they're looking for is that you've actually explored the field in some way, rather than running the dunk tank at your local county fair.

MDhopeful6
04-26-2011, 01:07 PM
Hi Weddell,
Thanks a lot! This was what I was thinking, but the response I got from admissions kind of left me unsure. It is reassuring to hear that you were successful with your references. I guess I will wait and see what they say and in the mean time I will keep my fingers crossed.

sesigs
04-28-2011, 06:18 PM
Hi, on the website it says that Saba requires 2 letters of reference from professors or physicians who have supervised applicants in a medically relevant setting. I don't really have any referees who fit this description that I am comfortable asking. I do not know my science profs well because the classes I took were all huge (200 - 300+ students). I have some arts profs who I have gotten to know much better and who would be able to give me great references. Also, I have worked with children with autism under the supervision of speech language pathologists in clinical settings and would be comfortable asking them for references. I asked admissions if these referees would be OK and they told me they would consider them and let me know if they would work, however nothing sounds very certain. At this point I submitted 2 references from arts profs and 2 from my experiences working with children with autism (these are not from physicians though). I am just wondering if any one has ever got in with references from professors that did not supervise in a medically relevant capacity?

I was accepted to Saba with 4 LORs - 2 were from undergrad science professors (they did not supervise me in a medically relevant capacity) , 1 from an ER physician at my current job, and 1 from a former employer in a job that was not related to the medical field. I think they want to see that you have experiene in the medical field but they also want to hear from people who've worked closely with you so they can get to know your strengths, weaknesses, and personality.

greenbird
05-05-2011, 05:08 PM
Don't know if you're already applied, but I used 2 LOR's for my application to SABA last year. One of those was from a psych professor from my undergrad, and the other was from a hospital where I held a volunteer position (though the reference wasn't directly from an MD). These LOR's were fine for the administration and I was accepted. I think the reference letters should be from someone who knows you well so that they can highlight your strengths, but I don't think it's necessary they be from a doc.

Good luck

MDhopeful6
05-05-2011, 07:00 PM
Hi sesigs and greenbird,
Thanks for your responses! I have applied and I actually just got offered an interview, so I guess my references were alright for the committee!

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.