PDA

View Full Version : British Undergraduate Student applying to 4 Years Medicine in Poland- HELP!?!

planet
04-22-2011, 02:17 AM
Hey,
I'm a british student, have an undergraduate degree in biomedical sciences and currently thinking to apply for the 4 years Medicine at universities in Poland. I applied to universities in UK and despite meeting entry requirements, I didnt get in :(

Do you think i stand chance of getting into Polish medical schools?
And are they extremely hard in terms of study? I saw they are like 5 days a week 8am-6pm study?
Is it extremely hard to pass the exams and how easy is it to understand their english (tutor's english as they'd probably have an accent?!)
Can I do 4 years study there and do my foundation (Year 1 and Year 2) in the UK? or do i have to do that there?

below is my academic qualification, could u kindly suggest my chances of getting accepted if i make an application please:
School Leaving Certificate (equivalent to GCSEs) - 77%
A-Levels - Biology-Grade C, Maths- grade B, Chemistry- Grade C, AS_Physics- Grade C
BSc(Hons) Biomedical Sciences - 2.1 (Higher second class)
IELTS - 7.5 overall
Work experience/Activities:
- Work shadowing doctors at Hospital
- Working as a Support Worker supporting people with learning disabilities for the last 3 years
- Volunteered in a charity shop every saturday
- Volunteered as a Course Representative at University
- University Ambassador in the Rugby Carnegie Challenge Cup at Wembley Stadium in London
- University Representative for Oxford University Press for Biosciences

Thanks for reading my mail and hope to hear from you soon :)

doc_million
04-22-2011, 04:25 AM
hey there ,
The english of the prof will be not of oxford accent anyways , its a different country and they will have the accent , but here its medicine they know medicne and you know english!!! so you have to mix it in the right way,
I know so many of my friends who completed in czech and poland and did their f1 f2 in uk without any big issues , most importantly the degree is valid and you dont have any issue with that ! at the end of the day unlike other courses it is the student s hardwork that matters in medical studies, there is wide range of electronic study material available to make up any issues if at all you face any in a foreign country for medical subjects (KAPLAN ETC)

good luck with future

planet
04-22-2011, 09:28 AM
hey there ,
The english of the prof will be not of oxford accent anyways , its a different country and they will have the accent , but here its medicine they know medicne and you know english!!! so you have to mix it in the right way,
I know so many of my friends who completed in czech and poland and did their f1 f2 in uk without any big issues , most importantly the degree is valid and you dont have any issue with that ! at the end of the day unlike other courses it is the student s hardwork that matters in medical studies, there is wide range of electronic study material available to make up any issues if at all you face any in a foreign country for medical subjects (KAPLAN ETC)

good luck with future

Hey, thanks for the reply. Do you think they'll accept me? I'm looking into applying to Warsaw one for the 4 years medicine. Below are my attributes:
School Leaving Certificate (equivalent to GCSEs) - 77%
A-Levels - Biology-Grade C, Maths- grade B, Chemistry- Grade C, AS_Physics- Grade C
BSc(Hons) Biomedical Sciences - 2.1 (Higher second class)
IELTS - 7.5 overall
Work experience/Activities:
- Work shadowing doctors at Hospital
- Working as a Support Worker supporting people with learning disabilities for the last 3 years
- Volunteered in a charity shop every saturday
- Volunteered as a Course Representative at University
- University Ambassador in the Rugby Carnegie Challenge Cup at Wembley Stadium in London
- University Representative for Oxford University Press for Biosciences

doc_million
04-22-2011, 10:15 AM
they will accept you without any problem,
apply in advance and get the papers in your hand,
do not approach any agent!!!!!!!
they are rip off B*****ds so go there in person , get the job done yourself,

planet
04-23-2011, 11:00 AM
they will accept you without any problem,
apply in advance and get the papers in your hand,
do not approach any agent!!!!!!!
they are rip off B*****ds so go there in person , get the job done yourself,

Hey, thanks. You've been so helpful in brining my confidence up. Yeah I will be applying direct. But not sure how I'll do their entrance tests though.

Also, how do people apply for F1/F2 in the UK after their Medicine degree? Do you apply to hospitals directly or do Polish uni have connections with hospitals here? (As far as I know, in the UK, your uni will sort this bit out so you only need to fill in an application and work anywhere that's nearer to where you live)...Sorry but would be grateful if you could let me know.

ouzi1212
04-23-2011, 12:43 PM
Once you complete your degree from any European country, you will have to apply to GMC for registration. Europe is very simple (with the grades you have) to get admission, compared to the UK. However once the MD course is complete you will not require any PLAB or any other test in order get the registration and the license to practise in the UK.

UK or Europe, Its exactly the same in terms of working as a doctor in the UK, however most European medical schools, especially in Poland are followed by US Syllabus not UK, so the teaching style will be different. I would recommend Poznan university of medical sciences try their 4 Yr MD program thought in English. Few of my friends who have applied to PUMS had 2.2 in BSc or lower and got in with ease.

doc_million
04-23-2011, 03:19 PM
once you graduate from eu , doing f1 is straight forward,
but you have to apply to the f1 board directly, and its straight forward from there ,
good luck , you can check the gmc web for more details regarding this

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.